PDA

View Full Version : C/C++ IDE for large projects ?

norapinephrine
February 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Can anyone recommend an IDE for developing large C/C++ programs ? I would prefer one that has VI extensions, but it's more important
that the IDE can build large projects. Which C/C++ IDE's are popular
for large projects ?
Thanks!

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
See the IDE thread, links in the stickies.

Any editor / IDE can be used for large projects. If it is a large project, I guess you should use what is standard for the members of that project.

neonum6
February 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
you could try Eclipse C/C++ Development Tooling and use Eclipse!
Eclipse is the most important ide for linux OS

raul_
February 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
I guess Eclipse or Geany. Eclipse has the advantage of having good integration with CVS and SVN.

neonum6
February 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I don't know Geany...but with Eclipse i'm feeling fine

bobrocks
February 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Eclipse CDT with the viPlugin, sadly that vi plugin is not free cost about 10 pound (http://www.satokar.com/viplugin/) has a few issues but the guy does fix them if you raise the bugs. I use it full time at work with eclipse java prespective.

Can't live without my vi

thornmastr
February 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Have you looked at NetBeans IDE 6.0.

lnostdal
February 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM
nono, in the open source world projects are not bound to any particular IDE in the way you might be thinking

building and editing is not tightly bound together by ways of automatically generated "project files" (usually gruesome, huge, bugprone and unmaintainable things) that only work with that particular editor

people use whatever editor they prefer and configure them until they become their IDE by ways of shortcut keys and scripts that execute the building process automatically, compiles, executes the debugger .. or whatever

..i use emacs .. some use vi .. others use other editors -- it doesn't matter, in this world

for building we use portable tools that are not hard coded or integrated into (only one) editor or environment .. take a look at cmake or scons .. they are great and trivial to use from any decent editor

edit:
there are of course exceptions, and many projects out there .. but imho the ones who follow a approach similar to Visual Studio etc are short sighted -- do you really expect others to use the exact same setup and environment you are using? .. doesn't sound very user friendly and "open source"'ish to me .. or, hm, maybe i should start forcing emacs and elisp (elisp scripts could handle the building etc.) down peoples throats :)

etdsbastar
February 20th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Eclipse is a good startup for large projects...