PDA

View Full Version : Java game project

dismal_denizen
February 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am working on a game library for Java. I only migrated to Ubuntu a few months ago (woohoo!), so I'm not very familiar with the way open source projects are handled. I have started working on the library ("CyGameLib") and used it to create a functional game called "Dveurak the Dwarven Miner". I'll post links soon, but I'd like to know how I could get others working on the project.

I don't have that much time on the computer (about an hour a day), and my code is a little messy. I'm sure that others could optimise the project!

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
The stickies have a bit of information on starting/joining projects.

ZylGadis
February 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM
http://producingoss.com/

Here is an excellent book on the dynamics of OSS, including how to start a project and how to attract contributors.

dismal_denizen
February 4th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the links, I'll take a look around. Will I run into any trouble using Java? I've tried using C++, but I find Java easier to use.

pmasiar
February 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Java handles memory for you, so it is simpler.

But I would not recomment either C++ or Java as first language for beginner - they are both way too complicated and force programmer to handle many minor details.

Python is much simpler to learn, yet powerful enough to handle many common tasks, for little speed penalty. This speed difference might be totally negligible when programming datatbase apps or web processing, and for many projects is good bargain (ie Google uses Python a lot for code except indexing and generating result pages, where speed is critical).

See stickies and wiki in my sig for links to tutorials and training tasks.