PDA

View Full Version : Weather

sadman64
February 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I need information about ubuntu's weather program, if it's available. I am doing a project for school where I have to report the current weather. Currently, I am going to have to parse weather.com's html page. I was just wondering if ubuntu's weather service was open source, and I could possibly use their weather information for my web service. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

sadman64
February 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Also, it doesn't have to be specifically ubuntu's service. Any API would be useful. Parsing html isn't the easiest way to get the information, so I was just looking for a service to provide the information.

rufius
February 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-applets/2.20/

Thats the sources repository for the gnome-applets. When you untar that file, you'll find a directory inside called libgweather, thats probably what you want.

I don't know much about it beyond that.

Hope that helps :)

sadman64
February 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
hey, thanks. that's what i wanted. now i just have to figure out what is easier, seeing if i can figure out that source code, or parsing and html file.

Scooby Doo
February 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Why can't you subscribe to yahoo's RSS feed for the location you want? It's in an XML format - much easier than parsing a full page.

sadman64
February 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
it has to be for any zip code that is entered, and it only returns the current information once. i found out that weather.com has an xml data base that i can use.