PDA

View Full Version : php include behaviour for includes from a different directory

aleb
February 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Fact:I have 3 files: /a.php, /dir1/b.php, /dir1/c.php. a.php does include("dir1/b.php") and b.php does include("c.php"). Retrieving http://server/a.php shows that c.php cannot be found. The include path is ".".

Comment: I understand this is the normal behavior, from what I read from the include documentation. I have an older apache/php setup (php 5.0.4) in which this works, the current directory does not change but the second include works just fine.

Question: What do I have to change in php.ini or elsewhere to make this code work, without changing the code or moving the files or editing the include path?

I read the include documentation and I searched on forums but could not find an answer. I stared at the two php.ini files, but I cannot see what could alter the include behaviour. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I realize you probably aren't looking for this, but can't you use absolute paths or server relative? It would make things easier.

aleb
February 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
I realize you probably aren't looking for this, but can't you use absolute paths or server relative? It would make things easier.
I only want to understand why the Ubuntu (Debian) installation behaves differently, and what causes the different behaviour.

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
a.php includes /dir1/b.php.

Then, /a.php includes /c.php, which is in /dir1/.

It is a case of the includes being executed after they are included.

That is they way I would expect it to work.

The contents of the includes are parsed after they are included.

aleb
February 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
a.php includes /dir1/b.php.

Then, /a.php includes /c.php, which is in /dir1/.

It is a case of the includes being executed after they are included.

That is they way I would expect it to work.

The contents of the includes are parsed after they are included.
Thanks! Good point.

What you say is true for Apache/2.2.4 (Ubuntu) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/5.2.3-1ubuntu6.3 but not for Apache/2.2.6 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.2.5.

I could uninstall Ubuntu's php version and try the latest to see how that one performs.

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks! Good point.

What you say is true for Apache/2.2.4 (Ubuntu) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/5.2.3-1ubuntu6.3 but not for Apache/2.2.6 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.2.5.

I could uninstall Ubuntu's php version and try the latest to see how that one performs.

Glad the differences were sorted out.

aleb
February 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I tried the last stable php version: Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.5 (on Feisty, if that matters), and it acts differently than the default PHP installation on Gutsy:

aleb@feisty:/var/www$ cat a.php
a<?php include "a/b.php"; ?>
aleb@feisty:/var/www$ cat a/b.php
b<?php include "c.php"; ?>
aleb@feisty:/var/www$ cat a/c.php
cThis prints "abc".

Any idea what causes the different behaviour?

aleb
February 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Apache/2.2.4 (Ubuntu) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/5.2.5 on Gutsy acts differently than Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.5 on Feisty. The first one gives an error, the second one manages to find the third include file and prints "abc".

I'll stop here with my investigation, even though it's somewhat annoying to use a virtual machine only to run an apache + php.