PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] C/c++

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 04:34 AM
I'm pretty sure you can do it on ubuntu? what's a good program for righting and compiling c and c++?

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Try anjuta. It's in the repositories.

vishzilla
January 31st, 2008, 04:40 AM
I use Geany, its in the repos!!! Geany can compile most of the programming languages!!!

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Try anjuta. It's in the repositories.

I use Geany, its in the repos!!! Geany can compile most of the programming languages!!!

Both wrong, those are IDE's and not compilers. When learning, learn how to use the tools that are needed, not IDE's.

See http://ubuntuprogramming.wikidot.com/C

And my wikis (link is in my sig)

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Why wrong? Linux is all about choice, after all...

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Why wrong? Linux is all about choice, after all...

Because neither of those are compilers.

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 05:00 AM
No, they're IDE's (at least Anjuta is, never tried the other) that rely on the compiler in the background. But they still get the job done.

You can't write code in gcc, after all ;) It's not an editor.

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:02 AM
No, they're IDE's (at least Anjuta is, never tried the other) that rely on the compiler in the background. But they still get the job done.

You can't write code in gcc, after all ;) It's not an editor.

And you can't compile with an editor.

I don't get your point.

This forum (this thread was moved) has stickies that address the IDE preferences, and has great resources for beginners.

Read my first post where I state they are IDE's, then come back to this.

mattismyname
January 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM
compiler: g++
editor: vim
"IDE": cscope

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
compiler: g++
editor: vim
"IDE": cscope

As long as we are discussing it, g++ isn't actually a compiler. gcc is used.

jcwmoore
January 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
to write ANY programming language I use vim/gvim, and to compile c/c++ i use gcc and g++

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 05:08 AM
The OP asked for advice on good software for writing and compiling c/c++ in Ubuntu. A correct answer could be and IDE like Anjuta or an editor/compiler pairing like vim+gcc. What's right or wrong is different for different users.

Wybiral
January 31st, 2008, 05:08 AM
Actually, you can't right code at all. :)

But, you're write, the editor IS a personal choice, the compiler however is much different. GCC is almost exclusively used in Linux (and a number of other platforms as well). It doesn't matter how you edit your code... Use what you like.

To the OP:

C or C++, you have to pick one. They aren't the same.

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 05:09 AM
thanks for all the help. and fighting entertainment.
:lolflag: can i get some links to some of these? or can i get them in synaptic or add/remove programs?
but yeah i'm just going to sit back and get some popcorn and continue to watch you guys fight this out til we get a winner. xD
:popcorn:

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:11 AM
The OP asked for advice on good software for writing and compiling c/c++ in Ubuntu. A correct answer could be and IDE like Anjuta or an editor/compiler pairing like vim+gcc. What's right or wrong is different for different users.

I could have also said "Ubuntu" and be correct, as it does answer the question.

However, if someone with no experience in programming in Ubuntu asks for advice on C and C++ programming, the best answer isn't a glorified editor.

The wiki page I linked to has all the information that is need, and that wiki has pages for various editors and IDE's.

Also, this forum has stickies that address this issue, but since this post was in the ABT, I didn't immediately refer to them until after this thread was moved.

The sticky for New Programmers in Linux specificaly address the IDE preferences and the compiler question.

There is not much more to say that hasn't been said many times.

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 05:12 AM
and i know they aren't the same.
haha i'm going to learn both. i tried starting with java. only understood alittle of it. so i'm going to start with c then go to c++ then java

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:13 AM
thanks for all the help. and fighting entertainment.
can i get some links to some of these? or can i get them in synaptic or add/remove programs?
but yeah i'm just going to sit back and get some popcorn and continue to watch you guys fight this out til we get a winner. xD

If it weren't for the misinformation, it wouldn't have happened :)

See the stickies (as I stated) and see the wiki for programming in Ubuntu. That wiki isn't very complete yet though, but has enough to get you started.

You can add them in Synaptic and Add/Remove, however, don't restrict yourself to an IDE.

Personally, I use Gedit and the terminal plugin for C programs.

(As for winners, it would most likely be me, but that would be an abuse of my responsibility)

igknighted
January 31st, 2008, 05:17 AM
If you are just learning, I would VERY strongly recommend starting with a simple editor (gedit or scite on gnome/xfce, or kate if you use KDE) and compiling via gcc/g++ in the terminal. If you've been programming for a while, feel free to check out the IDE's like anjuta and others. I think Eclipse also can handle c/c++ and would be an excellent choice as well.

If you really want to get into the text editors, try to learn vi. It's counter intuitive at first and you will despise it, and probably not even be able to type "hello, world" in it... but once you learn it, it's awesome and has features that you had never dreamed of that you will wonder how you lived without.

and i know they aren't the same.
haha i'm going to learn both. i tried starting with java. only understood alittle of it. so i'm going to start with c then go to c++ then java

Just so you know, high level languages like Java, C# and Python are usually much easier to learn. Then once you understand the concepts you can move on to a language like C or C++ that requires a much higher attention to detail.

Wybiral
January 31st, 2008, 05:17 AM
(As for winners, it would most likely be me, but that would be an abuse of my responsibility)

You love rubbing that in, don't you :)

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 05:19 AM
What wouldn't have happened? Anjuta is in the repos and you can install it with Synaptic.

I just felt that a newbie to Linux would be more comfortable with an IDE. Most progammer who come from Windows are used to Visual Studio, after all.

And I noticed you changed your original post to make it sound less elitist ... Thanks, I guess)

jcwmoore
January 31st, 2008, 05:20 AM
i'm just going to sit back and get some popcorn and continue to watch you guys fight this out til we get a winner. xD

:lolflag: That's right... so for kicks and grins i'm going to put it out there....

Visual Studio is the BEST IDE/Compiler out there.... after all I use it at work, it must be....

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:21 AM
You love rubbing that in, don't you :)

Love it? No. I find responsibility to be a most serious thing.

However, I might as well have a laugh now and then, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

Erikina
January 31st, 2008, 05:25 AM
If it weren't for the misinformation, it wouldn't have happened :)

Don't be too harsh. Yeah, they did make a mistake. Yet their information would still be useful (a new programmer, wouldn't be ill advised to try a nice editor like Geany or w/e was recommended).

Oh yeah, before you critise people get your facts straight.

As long as we are discussing it, g++ isn't actually a compiler. gcc is used.

G++ is in the "GNU Compiler Collection", however it's a compiler (in a collection). Saying it's not a compiler is patently wrong.

Try be a bit more forgiving, and assume good faith.

:)

Sockerdrickan
January 31st, 2008, 05:26 AM
I'd recommend Gedit and G++ for this guy.

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 05:27 AM

i agree!
can't we all just get along?? :)

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:30 AM
Don't be too harsh. Yeah, they did make a mistake. Yet their information would still be useful (a new programmer, wouldn't be ill advised to try a nice editor like Geany or w/e was recommended).

Oh yeah, before you critise people get your facts straight.

G++ is in the "GNU Compiler Collection", however it's a compiler (in a collection). Saying it's not a compiler is patently wrong.

If something is not right, it is misinformation. I have never gotten a sensitive error message during programming.

Error on line 17: Missing ;, but don't feel bad, everyone misses a semicolon.

Well, perhaps I should have said the command wasn't a compiler, as you can use the command "gcc" to compile C++ programs with the appropriate options.

vishzilla
January 31st, 2008, 05:30 AM
I'd recommend Gedit and G++ for this guy.

hmm...yes for beginners this is recommended....but an IDE is always better and faster.

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:32 AM
hmm...yes for beginners this is recommended....but an IDE is always better and faster.

I never heard any of the programmers on this forum recommend this before for anyone.

Sockerdrickan
January 31st, 2008, 05:33 AM

If you mean better as in faster I hope you mean code input, right? I happen to like Gedit, it's clean and simple and it works great even for larger projects. :KS

amingv
January 31st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Why break your head guessing what language to learn when you can break your head thinking what IDE/editor to use...:)

I do reccomend gcc/g++ + text editor suited for programming because you will learn the stuff your IDE does in the background.

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 05:34 AM
omg!!
as entertaining as this is can we all come together on the programs i need for writing and compiling c i'll figure out one for c++ later. or maybe we could just get some that do both? that'd be nice? :)

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:35 AM
omg!!
as entertaining as this is can we all come together on the programs i need for writing and compiling c i'll figure out one for c++ later. or maybe we could just get some that do both? that'd be nice? :)

Read the stickies and make up your own mind.

emarkd
January 31st, 2008, 05:36 AM
Honestly, that's probably the best advice you've gotten yet. There are lots of choices and ways to go about this. You've got to experiment and find what works for you.

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Honestly, that's probably the best advice you've gotten yet. There are lots of choices ways to go about this. You've got to experiment and find what works for you.

I said it on the first page...

(This thread is weird because it started in the ABT and was moved. I also happen to be distracted with a few things, so no offense was meant at any time)

Erikina
January 31st, 2008, 05:38 AM
RadiationHazard. I'll try clear this up for you.

A compiler is a program, that turns your source file (i.e. human readable computer commands) into computer readable commands (binary).

However typing statements, is a bit boring to most programmers:

if(variable == 3)
{
dothis();
}

verse:

if(variable == 3)
{
dothis();
}

Looks nicer, eh?

It starts to look boring. And often the computer can give you "hints" on what to type (and tell you about your mistakes). For this advanced functionality. People use editors. (such as all the ones recommended.)

They just make your job nicer (i.e. pretty colors) and stuff. But in the end, it makes the same source (commands) as all other editors. So it's just personal preference.

To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about it much. Just get something that has syntax highlight (pretty colors) and indenting. Then worry about it later when you're a programmer. :D

(BTW, after you learn some C++ take a look at the Qt toolkit. It'll make programming fun! As you'll be able to do stuff other than console windows!)

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 05:39 AM
If you are new to programming in general, most people on this forum recommend another language.

I suggest you browse the Learn to Program link in my sig.

RadiationHazard
January 31st, 2008, 05:40 AM
i think i'm going to go with gedit and g++ first. alot of people seem to be recomending those. sorry if that's not what you recomended. know i still love all you guys equally :D haha and i'll no doubt be needing al you guys help again so i'm going to close this post.

thanks for everyone on this sites help. haha and i'm usually not one to get serious but really. thanks for you guys help. you are one of the few sites that actually helps. and helps fast. i would recommend this site to anyone!!

much love from your little n00b! :KS

ps. i'm not new to programing. i'm not good at it yet. but i'm not to bad. i'm just new to ubuntu and all it's glory. hahaha

Sockerdrickan
January 31st, 2008, 05:43 AM
i think i'm going to go with gedit and g++ first. alot of people seem to be recomending those. sorry if that's not what you recomended. know i still love all you guys equally :D haha and i'll no doubt be needing al you guys help again so i'm going to close this post.

thanks for everyone on this sites help. haha and i'm usually not one to get serious but really. thanks for you guys help. you are one of the few sites that actually helps. and helps fast. i would recommend this site to anyone!!

much love from your little n00b! :KS

ps. i'm not new to programing. i'm not good at it yet. but i'm not to bad. i'm just new to ubuntu and all it's glory. hahaha

:guitar: See you around!

Erikina
January 31st, 2008, 05:52 AM
Good choice! I think you're going in a really good direction.

Also, I recommend you get a good book on the subject. Learning from the internet is too tedious, and disjointed. The library is a good place.

Oh, and yes. C++ is more complicated than other languages. But it's a real language. You can do everything in it. I say it'll take about 3 weeks to get a grip on it. (and when you think about it. It's not that bad).

So yeah, it is complex. But you can do it. In the period of a month, I taught my 13 year old (half) sister how to program. She has an intuitive grasp of pointers (even pointers to pointers). And has no problems with classes. (I'm just now teaching her STL and Qt toolkit). So it's not too hard. Just takes perseverance. But you're going in the right direction!

Good luck. I hope you don't give up.