PDA

View Full Version : Best python ide

DamagePlan
January 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Whats the best python IDE other than IDLE? I dont really want use Dr python or Geany because when you execute them they create a script aswell as the python script.

Or should I just gedit?
If I was to use gedit is there a plugin to have a built in console?

Thanks, :)

Miriam77
January 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Yes, Gedit has a plugin for an interactive session and a shell.

I use Gedit with this feature.

I hear Eric is good too, but I don't use it. http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html

DamagePlan
January 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
umm cant seem to find the shell plugin.

Do pro's use gedit mostly?

Miriam77
January 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
umm cant seem to find the shell plugin.

Do pro's use gedit mostly?

Install the "gedit-plugins" and it should be called: Embedded Terminal and Python Console in the plugin list.

DamagePlan
January 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks, I now have a built terminal :)

intelligentfool
January 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
i'm just starting out with scripting, but my good friend is an advanced web developer, using ajax, ruby, etc.... he uses notepad/gedit :)

... he also told me to avoid using any IDE.

Miriam77
January 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks, I now have a built terminal :)

It is very useful. You can use the terminal plugin to use Python too, as well as other tasks.

DamagePlan
January 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
It is very useful. You can use the terminal plugin to use Python too, as well as other tasks.

I use the python built in plugin :)

Thanks for the tip intelligentfool.

pmasiar
January 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
i my good friend is an advanced web developer, using ajax, ruby, etc.... he uses notepad/gedit :)

... he also told me to avoid using any IDE.

cannot be **that** advanced if he uses notepad :-)

I like IDE like SPE (Stani's Python Editor) which is not too complicated but little smarter than my editor of choice for plain text/HTML etc files - SciTE. I like how SPE creates outline of functions and adds codetags comments - very convenient when you edit longer files.

But IMHO, IDLE is just fine for a beginner (on Windows) - no distracting features which you will never use anyway :-)

Acglaphotis
January 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Gedit, SciTE or (my personal favorite) Vim! They are all great choices.