January 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I want to learn how to program. I read the wiki (LaRoza) and i found this book:

Byte of Python
Python Tutorial at wikibooks
Hands-On Python

Which is the best?. Thanks.

cprofitt
January 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
The best is very subjective... give them all a try.

pmasiar
January 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wiki in my sig has non-book intros to Python. Including screencast.

Also, first book might get you confused (especially if you don't have anyone around to show you ways around the screen), second one will clear it out, even if read in any order. So don't try to find the shortcut, dive in and persevere!

ghostdog74
January 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I want to learn how to program. I read the wiki (LaRoza) and i found this book:

Byte of Python
Python Tutorial at wikibooks
Hands-On Python

Which is the best?. Thanks.
take the python tutorial. then read the rest of the documents on the Python doc site.

ThinkBuntu
January 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'd recommend studying a couple languages from the beginning so that you're learning not a specific language, but simply, as you stated, "how to program." Python, PHP, and Ruby will give you an awesome web development skill base, and all three will teach you different skills that will apply to other languages. I would suggest something like C or Java in place of one of these, but they're compiled languages and may not be the best for a beginner who likes to make quick tweaks.

pmasiar
January 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I am not sure how to learn programming without learning specific language.

IMHO way to go is to pick a language (any of dynamic languages: Python, Ruby, even Perl or Basic) and learn to write (and debug) simple programs. After that, you can try different language (maybe PHP), to get the feel which part is just different syntax and which part is genuine difference in expression power. C or Java would be good 3rd language.

IMHO, YMMV. Ask opinion of any guru you can find around and agree to mentor you - his/her preference is the most important.

cprofitt
January 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I learned, ages ago, using Apple Basic (on and Apple IIE) and Fortran (on a VAX/VMS). I also used some other language (probably basic) on a TI computer that had to save and load programs from an audio tape. Shiny.

Then I discovered girls, again ages ago, and forgot about programming computers. That and my dad told me that there was no future in computers. I think the girls were the real reason though. Emily, Nancy, Lisa, Karen and others I never had the nerve to ask out occupied my time; well except for the weekly D&D sessions and the time I was forced to be in class.

Later in life, post college, I started playing AD&D with a group of guys that were all programmers or sys admins. That drew me back in to programming.

I then started with VB (aghh... that sucked)

Moved on to Lotus Notes (not bad, but not really great)

Moved in to VB.Net due to my previous experience with VB.

Moved to C#.

Now I am gonna learn Python and C.

Yep.

Shiny.

ThinkBuntu
January 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I've never heard of someone playing D&D weekly while being successful with the ladies...I guess there are many closet D&Ders out there.

I got into HTML and CSS for practical purposes (projects, etc. and because it was interesting), then fiddled with Javascript a bit, and finally made a career and a business of it. Since then, I've gotten into PHP and MySQL big-time since it really offers flexibility for my business. I considered Ruby and Python, and have learned a bit of each, but as far as working with Drupal, Wordpress, MediaWiki, etc. PHP is the only choice, and I'm happy to have a fairly cutting-edge, open-source tool that is also widely accepted and demanded.