PDA

View Full Version : Window Manager

mD3m4r415
January 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
hello,
I am a highschool student , with a full year of independant study..

i have a good knowledge of C code and i would like to make a Window manager like fluxbox or englightenment..
--is C the right language??
--i do not know where to start.... can someone send a tutorial (icouldnt find one)

please help.. if you need more info just post
thanks!

LaRoza
January 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
http://freshmeat.net/projects/tinywm/

I am sure you will find that most interesting to learn from.

CptPicard
January 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
When you're able to answer those questions for yourself, then you know if you're up to the task of writing a window manager... until then, you're not. :)

aks44
January 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
When you're able to answer those questions for yourself, then you know if you're up to the task of writing a window manager... until then, you're not. :)

Which is also true for any other non-trivial programming task. :)

LaRoza
January 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Which is also true for any other non-trivial programming task. :)

Well, given the project I linked to, it is "trivial" as in "not big". It will give the OP the oppurtunity to see the bare minimal amount of work involved.

lnostdal
January 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
--is C the right language??

I'd like to mention that Gnome's old default window manager (Sawfish) was written in a Lisp dialect - which I think is quite cool.

I dunno about C or any other language being the "right language" for this really.

Maybe C is the right language if <some-other-language> don't have complete GTK+ bindings to the WM stuff you need to access. But, I guess it would be nice to use a more agile language than C if or whenever possible ofc. .. (i seem to seed more questions, and provide less answers .. x))

aks44
January 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, given the project I linked to, it is "trivial" as in "not big".

Indeed ! I just downloaded the source out of curiosity (mumbling "how can a WM be trivial, it needs to handle decorations and all that stuff..." in the process ;)) and now I get it... :o

The flexibility of *nix will never cease to amaze me.

LaRoza
January 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Indeed ! I just downloaded the source out of curiosity (mumbling "how can a WM be trivial, it needs to handle decorations and all that stuff..." in the process ;)) and now I get it... :o

The flexibility of *nix will never cease to amaze me.

50 lines of C is enough :)

(With a little Python)