PDA

View Full Version : linux and windows

dexjul
January 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Ano kaya mangyayari kung open source na yung ms product?

Pwede na bang merge yung kernel linux and windows.

May lalabas bang bagong OS?

ichi_730
January 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hindi mangyayari yon... Malulugi si BG if gawin nyang open source yung windows operating systems. But, it is possible na i-show nila yung codes...:lolflag:

Laibcoms
January 28th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Its a fun question, and let's play the "What If?" game here.

So What If that happened?

The most likely scenario I can see is this:

The MS Windows code will be studied and copied to be implemented in GNU/Linux and OSX platforms, to the point that MS Windows will become a 3rd Ranked OS but never forgotten, and with GNU/Linux and OSX being the 'new' stiff competitors.

The reason for this view is that, we all know all the advantages of GNU/Linux platform already. Why fix the flaws of MS Windows when you already solved it with Linux? Example, Viruses and Disk Fragmentation to mention just two. Not that Linux is "virus-immune" or "fragmentation-immune", but because GNU/Linux is a community project, every possible new way of doing things have been put into it that made it almost virus-free and almost fragmentation-free, where MS Windows utterly failed.

Will there be people who will "fix" things with MS Windows? Yes there will be LOTS of them, but I doubt these "lots" are enough to be at par with the support of GNU/Linux and OSX.

Besides, GNOME, KDE, XFCE will also use the codes of MS Windows to improve their respective desktop environments.

And then, people will also see that with competition, there is improvement. GNOME, KDE, and XFCE (there are lots more) are competitors. But under the MS Windows platform, it has no competitor.

I doubt someone will create a competitor desktop environment for MS Win platform, why create under it when you can do better stuff under GNU/Linux?

So as I've said earlier, MS Windows will become a 3rd ranked platform, but it will never be forgotten.

ragadanga63
January 29th, 2008, 03:59 AM
It's like BG committing Kamikaze. The Open-Source Windows will become a threat to both commercial Windows and Linux.

headlessspider
January 31st, 2008, 01:33 AM
cute idea. once the source code is made public the dev people will have a chance to have a look see and then after a couple of days decide that its not worth incorporating into the core code of linux and just dump it.

imaging someone saying, "linux has bloated code"

:lolflag:

dodimar
January 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
sa tingin ko ang magiging advantage is baka magsunuran na rin ung mga hardware manufacturers (Nvidia, ATI, Canon, etc...) na ilabas na rin ung mga source codes ng mga products nila....

:)