PDA

View Full Version : Help me select a topic from Linux for report.

hellmet
January 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM
This semester, I've been told to select a relatively current topic from the computer science industry and prepare a report on the topic, for my Advanced Problems in Computer Science course.

We're supposed to create a 15-20 page report on that topic, followed by a presentation.

I want to know if there are such topics in Linux that can make a 15 page report.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Sporkman
January 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
You could compare & contrast closed source proprietary development management & processes in a business with that of open source community based.

You could also do a history of linux & the open source sofeware movement in general.

Steveway
January 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
select a relatively current topic
The most current Topic regarding GNU/Linux and the Open-source world would be:
Nokia buys Trolltech for 104Million Dollar.
But I doubt that you can make 15 to 20 pages out of that, well thinking of it, you can!
You can take that as an introduction to tell about Trolltech, QT, KDE and how it all began and evolved from then till now. You should be able to easily fill up 15 pages with that.
Of course don't forget to tell about Nokia and what they've contributed to the Open-source world, Maemo etc...
That's good stuff for a report.
Man, I wish I had to do such a report, that's pretty good stuff to tell. But since I don't have to I don't want to make it. <-- I'm too lazy.^^

dgoodma
January 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
The Psychology of selecting computers and Operating Systems.

Do "normal" users select an Operating System? Or do they just go with the flow of what is on the device that catches their eye?

Do applications on the device drive the selection of the OS, or does a "cool OS" out weigh application availability?

What drives a Business Model of "free"?

Price? Features? Safety? Fighting "City Hall"?