PDA

View Full Version : Ssh

sdmike
January 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM
At my work I can't download any programs so I can SSH into my home computer to work on anything.

Is there a way I can use a website that allows you to SSH on it?

Nano Geek
January 28th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Do you mean connect to a website through your home computer?

If so just run ssh using -x and once connected to your sshed computer, run firefox <website_name> and you'll connect through your home computer to the site.

Joeb454
January 28th, 2008, 02:17 AM
asjd, I believe he means is there a website that allows you to SSH into a remote PC.

Such as www.mibbit.com (http://www.mibbit.com) which allows you to connect to IRC servers without having an IRC client

EDIT: As far as I'm aware there is no such website, I think it would be too insecure. Though I can't be certain.

Acglaphotis
January 28th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I think he meant that he wants to use ssh through a browser. I don't know how to do this except for a VNC java applet.

Nano Geek
January 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I guess you two are right.

And I agree that you shouldn't try to use a website to ssh.
For all you know, they could be recording everything you type.

stroyan
January 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM
If your home system is running ubuntu and you are willing to run a web server on it, then you could use the 'jta' package which provides an ssh capable terminal as a java applet. You would then visit a link on your web site and run a java applet in a local web browser that makes a secure ssh connection to your system.

Joeb454
January 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
True that could work, though it might be a bit complicated just to SSH into your own PC, though if you really need to I guess that'd be a fairly decent way...mainly because you'd know the website was your own

Lux Perpetua
January 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
In the absence of an SSH client on the local machine, that seems like a pretty good way...

FaBi3ttO
January 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Otherwise you can configure your home ssh server to listen on port 80, then follow this guide to bypass the firewall
http://www.mtu.net/~engstrom/ssh-proxy.php

My 2 cents,