View Full Version : PHP development envirionment recs

January 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I need a recommendations for the following programs to set up a PHP development envirionment:

Lamp Stack - Something easy to install , I need PHP 5, MySQL and Apache. I run XAMPP off a USB drive that works well for windows environments, maybe that would work?

PHP IDE - Free of course. I am used to working with Notepad++ and find that nice. Something similar or superior would be good.

MySQL Administration - phpMyAdmin is good, but if there is a desktop interface rather then web based that might be faster.

HTML Editor - BlueFish seemed pretty decent last I looked, anything out that is better? Kompozer also tries valiantly to provide an ok WYSIWYG environment. Anyone know of a better combination of HTML/WYSIWYG editor programs?

FTP - Whats a good FTP app. I like Filezilla for Windows and suspect it's probably pretty decent on linux as well? Or is there something better?

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

January 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM

sudo tasksel

1. See stickies

2. Sorry, SQL only for me. Others have asked though, perhaps you can find out what they say.

3. Gedit (or other editor) plus a browser.

4. Filezilla is there in the repos, Filezilla portable runs in Wine but I use gFTP because Filezilla (the linux version) is causing my computer to crash (why, I have no idea)