PDA

View Full Version : Anyone user topcoder.com

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I am curious if any of you participate in topcoder.com?

If you have I am curious if you have found value in it?

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
No, but thanks for the link.

I like projecteuler.net too.

amo-ej1
January 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
projecteuler is great ! although i haven't found much time to participate in it lately.

i once tried topcoder, but the competition hours were terrible, and besides, i don't like time pressure when writing code.

another nice website is: http://acm.uva.es/problemset/ here they contains a bunch of problem sets (like project euler) and here you have to upload your code which they will unit-test (instead of obtaining the magical solution in projecteuler).

If someone has other alternatives, i'm always itnerested ;)

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think you mean this site : http://icpcres.ecs.baylor.edu/onlinejudge/

They are migrating.

Again, thanks for the link though, didn't know about them.

amo-ej1
January 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
all the same ;)

the disadvantage there is that they only tell you 'true or false' which can be a pain to do some debugging on.

Fixman
January 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, I made like ~18 dollars on there, its an EXCELLENT site. My handle is Fixman.

EDIT: Are you registered for TCO? This will be a strong one.

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
No, but thanks for the link.

I like projecteuler.net too.

Thanks... that site looks great and I had not found it before.

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Yes, I made like ~18 dollars on there, its an EXCELLENT site. My handle is Fixman.

I am registered on the site... but I have only taken part of one comp so far.

cprofitt
January 29th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I just played around on projecteuler.net tonight... great site.

I did problems 1, 2 and 4 tonight. I jumped to four because I like Lychrel numbers (and they play with Palindromes).

That site is going to make me re-learn math the hard way. :)

revanthedarth
January 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
You may want to practice your programming skills, try Olimpiad site of USA: USACO
http://train.usaco.org/usacogate

They are good way to improve your algorithm skills. By the way, topcoder uses OOP languages.

Lord Illidan
January 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM

18 dollars? How do you make money on the site? Competitions? I'm broke, could use some dosh :D

And, yes projecteuler is fantastic.

cprofitt
January 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
18 dollars? How do you make money on the site? Competitions? I'm broke, could use some dosh :D

And, yes projecteuler is fantastic.

You can make money at top coder by entering certain competitions and there are several kinds. A couple of people there have made of 100K.

I do not have those kind of skills so I do it to grow and don't worry about the money.

Fixman
February 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
You can make money at top coder by entering certain competitions and there are several kinds. A couple of people there have made of 100K.

I do not have those kind of skills so I do it to grow and don't worry about the money.

Its actally pretty easy, most times is for luck. Without counting big tournaments (TCHS, TCO, TCCC, etc.), all you must do is registering for a money competition (on this time of the year tehre aren't many because of TCO), where you will be separated in groups of 20, and if you are 1st or 2nd of your group on a competition, you win cash.

LeAstrale
March 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Its actally pretty easy, most times is for luck. Without counting big tournaments (TCHS, TCO, TCCC, etc.), all you must do is registering for a money competition (on this time of the year tehre aren't many because of TCO), where you will be separated in groups of 20, and if you are 1st or 2nd of your group on a competition, you win cash.

hmm soundes like a nice idea :)

what is the average award ?

/Astral-1

i.mehrzad
September 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Funny no one mentioned spoj.pl Pretty awesome site, for those who want to improve algorithm skills.