PDA

View Full Version : Site Discussion Title

jdodson
September 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
OK so I have wondered about this for sometime. The title to this section is:

" Please DO NOT post questions here about Ubuntu or start unwanted threads."

OK questions about Ubuntu I can understand, thats not forum specific. But how does anyone know what a "unwanted thread" is?

A thread one starts is by nature wanted by the one that posted it, right? So what does that really mean?

Maybe you mean something like offtopic threads? Topic being Ubuntu Forums that is.

ubuntu-geek
September 21st, 2005, 12:09 AM
I quote from websters.com

adj 1: not wanted; not needed; "tried to give away unwanted kittens" [ant: wanted] 2: without being invited; "an unwanted intrusion"; "uninvited guests" [syn: unasked, uninvited] 3: interfering; "unwanted shadows distort the picture"; "removed the unwanted vegetation"

Should clear that up for you. Offtopic is another great word to describe it.

az
September 21st, 2005, 01:56 AM
It now says "Please post comments/questions about ONLY THE FORUMS here!"

Hmmm.

Please only post comments or questions about the forums here!

Please post comments and questions which are only about the forums here!

Only post questions or comments about the forums here!

No cats or vegetation allowed!

This is all in humour! I think it is great that the title was improved! :) :) :)

XDevHald
September 21st, 2005, 01:58 AM
It now says "Please post comments/questions about ONLY THE FORUMS here!"

Hmmm.

Please only post comments or questions about the forums here!

Please post comments and questions which are only about the forums here!

Only post questions or comments about the forums here!

No cats or vegetation allowed!

This is all in humour! I think it is great that the title was improved! :) :) :)
Is your post out of sarcasm azz, or are you stating?

ubuntu-geek
September 21st, 2005, 01:59 AM
He is talking about the one on the main forum page. Nothing has been changed azz. :)

jdodson
September 21st, 2005, 02:56 AM
I quote from websters.com

Should clear that up for you. Offtopic is another great word to describe it.

Yes I understand what unwanted means, thank you for showing us the obvious. I think it is a poor way to word it thats all. Do what you must. Though what is unwanted to you is not unwanted to everyone. So maybe you should say: "Unwanted to Admins" or "Unwanted to the elect who understand the nature of what we want here."

XDevHald
September 21st, 2005, 03:02 AM
Yes I understand what unwanted means, thank you for showing us the obvious. I think it is a poor way to word it thats all. Do what you must. Though what is unwanted to you is not unwanted to everyone. So maybe you should say: "Unwanted to Admins" or "Unwanted to the elect who understand the nature of what we want here."

Yes I understand what unwanted means, thank you for showing us the obvious

I don't think putting yourself on the board of rudeness really gives everyone a comforting feeling of being able to chat on here without having someone such as yourself making the admin(s) look bad as if they don't know what they're doing.

You chose to step down from your position dodson, now you're putting the admin down by bashing him with his own post. I don't think that gives the community a soft feeling about our members and x-staff members.

macgyver2
September 21st, 2005, 03:23 AM
Hmm...jdodson does have a point. "Unwanted" and "off-topic" aren't the same. Unwanted is pretty vague.

Though you're right about the rudeness...on both sides.

kvidell
September 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM
Well, according to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42065), complaining about staff action(s)/reaction(s) are one type of unwanted thread...

But what else?
I think this could be a constructive discussion that could lead to an addition to the FAQ or possibly another thread created, locked, and made sticky that details perhaps what is "unwanted" ?
This may be a good plan of action.

I honestly can't think of any other good examples of what would be an "unwanted" thread... Obviously things that could go in the Marketplace or other Cafe forums should not go here...
And things that could go in the Art area... although those _could_ be related to the forum specifically if someone had a good recomendation for a change or addition to it...

What can other people come up with?
- Kev

az
September 21st, 2005, 04:00 AM
Is your post out of sarcasm azz, or are you stating?

Ooops! My mistake. I looked up and read

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=29437

I guess I just got excited. Sorry. No sarcasm intended.

matthew
September 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM
He is talking about the one on the main forum page. Nothing has been changed azz. :)
Oh, that's what this thread is talking about...I thought it was talking about this. How silly of me.

panickedthumb
September 21st, 2005, 05:06 AM
in all fairness, rudeness is abound in this thread, not just from jdodson.

I agree, however, that clarification would be quite beneficial.

jdong
September 21st, 2005, 05:09 AM
Clarification will happen. Ryan and I have already discussed through this. Thanks for bringing it up, though many of the comments you guys have made are unnecessary and simply rude.

jdong
September 21st, 2005, 05:13 AM
*UPDATE*: The descriptive message users will see is now a bit more descriptive.

matthew
September 21st, 2005, 05:22 AM
*UPDATE*: Message now a bit more descriptive. Happy?
I think that is well worded.

panickedthumb
September 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM
I think that is well worded.
word. That's very descriptive.

az
September 21st, 2005, 11:23 AM
*UPDATE*: The descriptive message users will see is now a bit more descriptive.
English rocks!

jdodson
September 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, well I was not trying to be rude. I just thought it was odd that ubuntu-geek used the definition to clear up the topic. As if that was the answer. I might not have posed my question well enough, but I know what unwanted is.

And this does not have anything to do with me stepping down as a moderator, it is something I have thought about for sometime, and decided to say something about it. My first post was far from rude, I just decided to say something about it now, interpret it how you wish.

Anyways in the end it was changed, so I might have been right about something. I was not trying to bash, just point out something. The forums are about clarity no? Well, lets rock clarity.

kassetra
September 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
English rocks!

Ack. That was my doing late last night. It made sense at the time.

How about, "The tag under the the forum title is now more descriptive."

az
September 22nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
Ack. That was my doing late last night. It made sense at the time.

How about, "The tag under the the forum title is now more descriptive."
Damn Heineken!

jdong
September 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks Kass :)