PDA

View Full Version : Linux Professionals Poll

argraff
January 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I'm curious, as I've recently left my job to work full-time for myself :) and now use Linux 24/7:

What percentage of time do you spend using Linux (as opposed to another/any OS) in your professional life?

I'm curious to know what professions are linux 24/7 but that's for another poll. :D

HermanAB
January 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Military electronics - all Linux.

Cheers,

H.

argraff
January 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Does this mean that there aren't very many people using Linux professionally?

quinnten83
January 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
probably not, as MS is pervasive.
I knew a guy that wanted to work with linux. He ventually had to quit to go work somewhere else where it was offered, but had to wait years at my company (which rents out IT people to private corps) before he could get to work in linux environment.

Actually he was the one that aroused my interest in linux.

lila
January 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Small woodworking business - fully on linux ubuntu for the office, nothing else in the house. But then, I don't exactly spend all my time on it - and good job, too, else I wouldn't live. Most of my time is spent with a bunch of chisels and the like at the workbench. So, in your poll, do I call myself 100% or sometimes?
Lila

stalker145
January 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm curious, as I've recently left my job to work full-time for myself :) and now use Linux 24/7:

What percentage of time do you spend using Linux (as opposed to another/any OS) in your professional life?

I'm curious to know what professions are linux 24/7 but that's for another poll. :D

I'm sorry to say that I can not participate in the poll since my choice isn't available...

Navy and Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) - Windows only for every computer I've ever used at work.

No Linux :(

Frumious Boojum
January 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I have a windows laptop and an edubuntu desktop set up at my work station. I have to use windows too much at the moment for some things that I need access to, unfortunately. So, probably only half the time.

I work in the staff development of the school district.

AaronMiller
January 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
With Lotus moving to Linux for free (!!!) I can just Linux for everything at work except for our call logging software (HEAT) and our Phone software (Cisco Agent Desktop). I haven't tried to run them in Wine/VM since I really don't have access to the programs or the install. (Work at a Helpdesk)

I do however use Linux/BSD almost exclusively when doing in-home consultations or data backups/recover for clients.

macogw
January 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM
At my last internship, I used Windows (interns get no choice :( my coworkers wiped their drives and installed Ubuntu). For the web stuff I do, if I was in an office, I mostly used OSX (as that was the only web-accessible computer there), but sometimes used my Linux lappy there. I just got hired (at least, I think I was hired) to do some remote system administration tasks by ssh-ing from my Linux lappy to a Linux server to set up Mailman and maybe an IRC server and stuff like that.

argraff
January 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Small woodworking business - fully on linux ubuntu for the office, nothing else in the house. But then, I don't exactly spend all my time on it - and good job, too, else I wouldn't live. Most of my time is spent with a bunch of chisels and the like at the workbench. So, in your poll, do I call myself 100% or sometimes?
Lila

I would say that you're 100% linux. :)

lila
January 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I would say that you're 100% linux. :)

:) OK, I voted. Cyber-civic duty done.