PDA

View Full Version : Help - Dynamic Updating Website for Computer Illiterate.

TheOnlyMerlin
January 20th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I am looking to maybe design a website as a favor to someone I respect. however, this person is not very computer savy and is not very good with updating web pages.
So, I was planning to create the core website for him, and then somehow make it so he can edit the actual content of the website through some more intuitive system rather than updating the html myself.

The first thing that came to my mind as an option is creating a series of blogs for the content. Then, embed these blogs into the various web pages. This way if he wants to change the about us web page, he can just change his "about us" blog, and not even have to talk to me, or edit any html.

However, I am not terribly familiar with this, and could use some help.

Also, if there is a better way to do this, that would be great. I also investigated the idea of using google documents, and try to embed the content of the documents into the page, but that seems like it would be far harder.

I also thought about using SQL, and making each area of content a PHP SQL query, but I don't think I could do it in any way that would make it any easier than editing the html code by hand, although it largely eliminates the possibility of accidentally messing up the page. (gotta love application layers)

Anyway, any help would be great. I didn;t know where to post this on these forums, so I went with community cafe because it seemed like a safe bet.

Redache
January 20th, 2008, 05:05 AM
You could try looking at content management systems so basically you create the site then give the user software that allows them to update the site without ever seeing the underlying code.

Something like http://www.cmsimple.dk/ might work but I can't comment on it really.

argraff
January 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I absolutely LOVE CMS Made Simple (http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/)! It's really is (simple, that is). and very friendly and uncluttered and non-threatening. :)

Hope that helps!