PDA

View Full Version : Best Laptop Under $750

Pethegreat
January 18th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I may be looking for a laptop computer for college. Right now I have about $750 to spend on one, but I can gather more money if the jump in performance is worth it.

I have looked at ASUS's eeePC. They are sweet, but with only 8gb of storage and integrated video this may not be the best thing If I need to run a program that needs 3d acceleration.

I have only used a laptop a few times, so I can't say I am as good with them as I am desktops. This is why I am asking for some advice.

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Dells with Ubuntu are pretty good...
I'd recommend a Toughbook or Lenovo, but I'm not entirely sure what either of those are priced at...

Peyton
January 18th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Dells with Ubuntu are pretty good...
I'd recommend a Toughbook or Lenovo, but I'm not entirely sure what either of those are priced at...

Toughbooks are pretty expensive, I believe. :(

stmiller
January 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Thinkpads are nice and most are Linux friendly.

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Well, if you don't mind the size of the Eee, but just don't like the storage capacity, you might be interested in this:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9057441

Not out till the end of the month, but it's well under your price cap and it's got a 30 GB HDD.

Linuxratty
January 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
A friend of mine is getting a Linux laptop from here:

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

dustigroove
January 18th, 2008, 03:45 AM
The starting price on the Dell 1420N (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?) is $794 and there is currently some coupons (http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp) that will help with the price if you set it up for $899 or more. So get an $899+ machine for $699+ ... not too shabby.

As a matter of fact I took them up on the offer myself. Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Linuxratty
January 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM
yes,the Dells do look mighty nice.

Pethegreat
January 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Well, if you don't mind the size of the Eee, but just don't like the storage capacity, you might be interested in this:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9057441

Not out till the end of the month, but it's well under your price cap and it's got a 30 GB HDD.
It still lacks a video card that I want.

I would also like to have XP on it. I would never use it unless I need it for some programs where Wine won't work. I am open to getting something with vista, wiping that, and putting XP on. I could get credit for my unused copy of Vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115410

I now this is at my price limit of $1000, but it has what i want. Has anyone used an Acer laptop?

sloggerkhan
January 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I have an acer Ferrari 4005 that I got a couple (maybe near 3?) years ago from an online discount retailer and its served well. Been a great machine for me, though I do hate the car branding.

I guess with the video card, IMO an 8400 M isn't really a serious 3-D card, if you just want movies, compiz-fusion, it's probably fine, but don't expect to play ET: quake wars.

My only thought is that 17" laptops aren't very portable and the battery life sucks, but I don't really have too good an idea what you want.

Another thing to consider is that once you hit that 1000-1200 range, you could get a cheap laptop (such as that Asus eee pc thing) and a decent desktop (say $550 to build + $200 monitor) and you have spent $1150 and now have portable internet/word processor and more gaming power.

Once again not too sure about what you really want.

Pethegreat
January 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Another thing to consider is that once you hit that 1000-1200 range, you could get a cheap laptop (such as that Asus eee pc thing) and a decent desktop (say $550 to build + $200 monitor) and you have spent $1150 and now have portable internet/word processor and more gaming power.

I have a decent desktop as of now(look at sig). I don't do much in the way of PC gaming since I have an xbox 360. The most I would do would be some Sim City 4, Halo PC, and maybe Counter Strike.

What I am most worried about are the programs I may need to run. I have heard that people bought low end PC's for college and ended up getting screwed when a class was using a CAD or another computer intensive program.

sloggerkhan
January 19th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm in college as a CS major at the University of Arizona. I started in engineering and switched majors. My experience with 3-D cad like solidworks or solid edge is that you don't need super amazing 3-D to run it, but complex models can get slow no matter what kind of system you have.

Right now my only computer (see sig) has older dedicated 3-D 128 mb and I've never had problems running anything besides games.

I do sorta think since you have a desktop, it's better to go for portable with the laptop.

And I think 7150/6150 might be okay for you (if not so much games), a 8400 would be significantly better, but at the same time much slower than an 8600. So kinda your call.

mips
January 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I would also like to have XP on it. I would never use it unless I need it for some programs where Wine won't work. I am open to getting something with vista, wiping that, and putting XP on.

Why? Just install you WinXP in vitualbox, no need to dualboot and quicker to access if you do ever need it.

dustigroove
January 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hey, just following up... did you end up deciding on one laptop or another?

Cheers,

helliewm
January 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PI 2515 15 inch laptop. Its light, everything works out of the box with Ubuntu. It does have a Intel X3100 graphics card there is a work round for Compiz for this but the graphics card has never given me any problems. Mine has a Core 2 Duo 1.5, 2 gig ram and 160 hard disc. I bought it this summer.

I also bought a Dell Inspiron 17 inch this summer too as a Desktop replacement the Dell is nice but I prefer the Fujitsu.

The Fujitsu is completely Ubuntu friendly.

Helen