PDA

View Full Version : Linux Kernal Bugs..Myth or Fact?

Black Mage
January 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I was talking to this guy about using Linux on servers at an office. He told me he had considered and did his homework and likes Linux. But he was then telling me something that scares him in Linux that he came across in his research.

It was said that Linux Kernals have a large amount of bugs and errors, and they are increasing because Linus Torvalds is pushing more towards development and optimization of drivers rather than spending time trying to fix old bugs.

So thats why he won't go to Linux yet. Is that Fact or Fiction?

bufsabre666
January 17th, 2008, 03:03 AM
fact there are bugs
fiction theyre not being fixed

id say ms and apple have far more bugs

hhhhhx
January 17th, 2008, 03:03 AM
i'd say fiction. Ive never had a kernal bug.

Black Mage
January 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM
fact there are bugs
fiction theyre not being fixed

id say ms and apple have far more bugs

No, not that there are bugs, but that there is a lot more focus on development than there is on fixing bugs and they keep increasing.

~LoKe
January 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
This isn't commercial software, there's no reason to push kernels as soon as possible and skip the bugs. It's not in Linux's best interest to do that. You can always check the status of bugs on Launchpad and whatnot, in case you think "they" are hiding them from us.

SunnyRabbiera
January 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM
well most bugs comes from the add ons we get, but thanks to most developers most bugs are kept under wraps...
most linux distributions have good kernel patchers, ubuntu is one of them

tbroderick
January 17th, 2008, 03:56 AM
It was said that Linux Kernals have a large amount of bugs and errors, and they are increasing because Linus Torvalds is pushing more towards development and optimization of drivers rather than spending time trying to fix old bugs.

Here's what Andrew Morton had to say to InformationWeek on the subject: (http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202600515)

InformationWeek: Which is the goal these days in developing the kernel... rapid development of new features or minimizing possible bugs and defects?

Morton: We try to do both, of course. It's not a direct trade-off. If you apply patches faster, you can find bugs and fix things faster... There are many layers of back-up behind us. There are hundreds and thousands of testers who help us find new bugs. As the kernel goes into the leading-edge products, [Red Hat] Fedora and [Novell] OpenSuse, it goes out to many thousands of additional testers. It's a year old or more by the time it gets added to an enterprise version of Linux.

bruce89
January 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I think it'd be difficult for a normal programmer to fix bugs in a proprietory kernel, so this seems slightly mad.

DoktorSeven
January 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM
All software has bugs. The bigger it is, the more bugs it has.

The difference is, do you design your software to minimize the damage a certain bug might do, and how quickly do you act to fix a critical bug when found?

I say Linux's design and its developers' dedication to quickly fix bugs, makes it the wise choice over another major OS that shall not be named that I cannot make the same claims about.

stmiller
January 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Every operating system has bugs. Linux is open source so all development is open to the world. Microsoft keeps everything in house, so the outside public doesn't see the mess. This does not mean that they have less bugs. :)

Visit www.kernel.org and also check out http://kernelnewbies.org/ (Not a newbie site by far) for good info on Linux development.

Google.com runs on Linux. As does amazon.com, nasa computers, and tons of critical stuff. Linux is known for stability whereas this is not the case with other operating systems.

p_quarles
January 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Google.com runs on Linux. As does amazon.com, nasa computers, and tons of critical stuff. Linux is known for stability whereas this is not the case with other operating systems.
Don't forget the NYSE. :)

yabbadabbadont
January 17th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Don't forget the NYSE. :)

I wonder if they switched in order to protect against market crashes... :twisted:

p_quarles
January 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I wonder if they switched in order to protect against market crashes... :twisted:

Press any key to terminate the current stock market
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your economy. You will lose any unsaved earnings.
True story.

yabbadabbadont
January 17th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Thank you. There are few things in life as enjoyable as a good belly laugh. :D

vikigal
December 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
O.K. Who did it? Who ran this through the wall street terminal???

Code:

Press any key to terminate the current stock market
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your economy. You will lose any unsaved earnings.

(And can you try it again? This one aint workin...)

handy
December 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Many Arch users got hit by a kernel bug last October, it was interesting watching the amount of work going on upstream to identify the origin of the bug & fix it.

There was a workaround in a couple of days & the bug was squashed in the next kernel update.

billgoldberg
December 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Sure there are bugs in the Linux kernel.

That is normal.

Every other kernel has them too.