PDA

View Full Version : The best way to remove itunes DRM?

JaggedOne
January 16th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I am migrating my girlfriend to ubuntu. Her music collection was purchased in itues and is infested with DRM. Whats the best way to rip that pesky DRM off of the songs?

I know you can burn the songs to a cd, but for hundreds of songs that sounds like a pain. Can you do the same with a DVD? Is there any software that can do this?

~LoKe
January 16th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Pretty sure this is against the code of conduct for the UF.

SZF2001
January 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Burn the music onto a CD.

Rip CD in Ubuntu or whatever.

DRM gone.

zombiepig
January 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Burn the music onto a CD.

Rip CD in Ubuntu or whatever.

DRM gone.

That's not the best solution in terms of audio quality, since you're taking a lossy compressed file, then recompressing it again - like saving a resized jpg file as jpg, you lose quality :(

there's solutions out there that should work quite well - do a quick google search and you should find them easily! :)

p_quarles
January 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I am migrating my girlfriend to ubuntu. Her music collection was purchased in itues and is infested with DRM. Whats the best way to rip that pesky DRM off of the songs?

I know you can burn the songs to a cd, but for hundreds of songs that sounds like a pain. Can you do the same with a DVD? Is there any software that can do this?
Burning iTunes-purchased albums onto a CD is legal, and is specifically allowed by Apple. Anything beyond that is illegal in many countries, and therefore not supported in these forums. If you're looking to bypass copy protection, you're in the wrong place.

aidanr
January 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Google, there's a couple of third party apps that'll work without having to burn/rip from cd.

Æniad
January 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I pm'ed the guy a link. If anyone else is interested PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.

jdong
January 16th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I pm'ed the guy a link. If anyone else is interested PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.

*sigh* No black markets over PM, please?

Æniad
January 16th, 2008, 07:22 AM

I wasn't aware of the rule. Sorry.

sloggerkhan
January 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I used the burn to CD method.
But I tell you, having anything in AAC is in the long run really ANNOYING.
I'd have been better off losing it and finding non-aac copies.

Spike-X
January 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Helping somebody get fair use from material they've paid good money for is a "black market" now?

What flavour was the Kool-Aid?

forrestcupp
January 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Helping somebody get fair use from material they've paid good money for is a "black market" now?

+1

When I switched to Ubuntu a few years ago, I was forced to convert my DRM'ed wmv's to a format that I could use in Linux. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. I paid for all of my music and I just wanted to be able to listen to it because it wasn't possible to listen to those files in Linux.

Back then, I searched it out, and the burn to CD & re-rip method was pretty much the only option.

Thank God that now you can at least buy almost any music from Amazon without DRM.

_sAm_
January 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Songbird(http://www.songbirdnest.com/) can play iTunes DRM music.

Personally I would do a search with google on howto remove the DRM, and if that turned out blank I would just download all the music again without the DRM from some torrent site(legal in my country!).

~LoKe
January 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM

They paid "good money" for DRM laced media. Those are the conditions they put on their product, and you chose to pay for it.

jdong
January 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM

The removal of DRM is not legal. Forum policies state that software for this purpose is not to be linked to or discussed, and offering to divert this discussion to PM's is simply circumvention.

I don't support DRM restrictions but I also don't support breaking the law to remove DRM from music you've purchased and agreed to its terms when purchasing it.

It's like leasing a car and then stealing it because you thought you bought it with the $500 down payment.

DeadSuperHero
January 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
It's like leasing a car and then stealing it because you thought you bought it with the $500 down payment.

I disagree. It's more like buying a car, and changing the engine in it. You've got every right to do that, you bought it, you own it now. That's my thinking behind it.

Peyton
January 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I disagree. It's more like buying a car, and changing the engine in it. You've got every right to do that, you bought it, you own it now. That's my thinking behind it.

Fair or not, one does not "own" a song in the same way that one owns a car.

Ebuntor
January 17th, 2008, 12:29 AM
The removal of DRM is not legal. Forum policies state that software for this purpose is not to be linked to or discussed, and offering to divert this discussion to PM's is simply circumvention.

As I understand it the Ubuntu forums' servers are located on the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man is not part of the European Union and therefore is also not under EU copyright laws only under British law.

I'm not a UK citizen but IIRC it is allowed under British law to remove DRM (please correct me if I'm wrong though, my knowledge of British law isn't 100% up to date).

If it is forum policy that's of course a completely different subject. :)

IMO discussing the removal of DRM and ("theoretically" explaining how someone could remove it ;)) is a big difference compared to actually explaining how to do it. Besides installing patented codecs is also explained on these forums and is illegal in the US and a few other countries.

sloggerkhan
January 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM
http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42681

It sounds like buying a car to me. ;)

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
But I tell you, having anything in AAC is in the long run really ANNOYING.
I'd have been better off losing it and finding non-aac copies.

I think you'll find that AAC is supported by Ubuntu (it's in the restricted extra's package if I recall).

Also, AAC is actually a FAR better format than MP3, with the same audio quality, in a smaller file. Now you tell me why MP3 is better than AAC ;)

*NOTE* I'm not trying to start a flame war, just making my point and saying how I prefer AAC to MP3

jdong
January 17th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I think you'll find that AAC is supported by Ubuntu (it's in the restricted extra's package if I recall).

Also, AAC is actually a FAR better format than MP3, with the same audio quality, in a smaller file. Now you tell me why MP3 is better than AAC ;)

*NOTE* I'm not trying to start a flame war, just making my point and saying how I prefer AAC to MP3

Indeed AAC is a technologically superior format to MP3, but the AAC container (.m4a, ISO MPEG-4) is also used to hold Apple's DRM'ed stuff and some people mistakenly assume those formats are synonymous with DRM. They are not. I store most of my media collection in H.264/AAC formats and there's no DRM involved.

jdong
January 17th, 2008, 01:08 AM
As I understand it the Ubuntu forums' servers are located on the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man is not part of the European Union and therefore is also not under EU copyright laws only under British law.

I'm not a UK citizen but IIRC it is allowed under British law to remove DRM (please correct me if I'm wrong though, my knowledge of British law isn't 100% up to date).

If it is forum policy that's of course a completely different subject. :)

IMO discussing the removal of DRM and ("theoretically" explaining how someone could remove it ;)) is a big difference compared to actually explaining how to do it. Besides installing patented codecs is also explained on these forums and is illegal in the US and a few other countries.

The forum servers are now located in the Isle of Man but the forum policies are from when the forum servers were solely hosted in the USA. In addition, I think Ryan still has some USA servers holding live database backups, redundant failover servers, and beta site updates so we'd rather keep the policies the way they currently are.

Anyway this is me speaking alone, if another FC member cares to comment go ahead :)

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I can't comment on the server locations and stuff...but I can agree that I have all of my music in AAC (.m4a) format. There's a few I've bought from iTunes for various reasons, but they're all on CD to copy back to my PC (which I believe is legal :)) I've just not got round to it yet.

Methuselah
January 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Lesson: Don't support products with restrictive DRM; it'll only get more popular.

hhhhhx
January 17th, 2008, 03:12 AM
i believe there's some software somewhere on the internets (illegal). I just used cd's (legal).

These touchy subjects are very hard to talk about on forums like this. I could go for a mod-free section of the UF (plz don't ban me for that)

Æniad
January 17th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Lesson: Don't support products with restrictive DRM; it'll only get more popular.

Amen brother.

bufsabre666
January 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Amen brother.

testify

p_quarles
January 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
testify
Shout it from the mountaintops.

sloggerkhan
January 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM
The reason aac pisses me off is that most MP3 players that use it won't play ogg. (The only thing that does both so far as I know is rockbox) and so far as I know, there are no 16gb flash based players supported by rockbox, which is why I have forgone an mp3 player, hence my annoyance at having music in aac. (Basically, with out rockbox, so far as I know, aac/ogg is a choice, can't have both.)

jdong
January 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
The reason aac pisses me off is that most MP3 players that use it won't play ogg. (The only thing that does both so far as I know is rockbox) and so far as I know, there are no 16gb flash based players supported by rockbox, which is why I have forgone an mp3 player, hence my annoyance at having music in aac. (Basically, with out rockbox, so far as I know, aac/ogg is a choice, can't have both.)

Why should AAC be held responsible? What's like me holding OGG responsible for lack of AAC support because players that do ogg don't do AAC. They are independent as far as I'm concerned and the only reason for not adding ogg to players is manufacturer laziness. Most of these players use the ARM architecture, which already has FOSS ogg decoders (even BSD licensed ones are available IIRC), no strings attached.

I don't blame players for refusing to implement AAC because there's a licensing/royalty fee.

Spike-X
January 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Fair or not, one does not "own" a song in the same way that one owns a car.
Somebody should explain that to the makers of the "You wouldn't steal a car..." anti-piracy ads.

dmegg
January 2nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=jdong;4147096]The removal of DRM is not legal. Forum policies state that software for this purpose is not to be linked to or discussed, and offering to divert this discussion to PM's is simply circumvention.

Is this a U.S.-only forum? Removing DRM is perfectly legal in many countries, including mine (Canada -- at least so far). If you want to ban discussing anything that's illegal in *any* countries, we'd better make sure we don't mention software for, say, circumventing government censorship either.

Spr0k3t
January 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
My favorite way to bypass copy protection is to throw money by the buckets at artists and companies which refuse to support DRM infested online music stores.

That reminds me... I still owe Mr. The Albert of Yankovic a couple bucks.

timzak
January 12th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Back then, I searched it out, and the burn to CD & re-rip method was pretty much the only option.

I assume the "burn to CD" part must be done in Windows? Or is there a way to burn a .WMA song to CD in Linux?