PDA

View Full Version : Compusa

fedex1993
January 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay i herd that compusa is going out of buisness soon or later this moneth or early next month my question is if i payed a 4 year warnty for my laptop which was $$$ alot when i only bought it last year how can i get that warnty exstend after compusa closes any thoughts?

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM
well you cant extend the warrenty but they have to cover it for the life of the current warrenty, theyre just ganna outsource support

fedex1993
January 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
yeah i liked compusa i got my laptop for 415 brand spaken new. every where else it was x2 the price that i got it for

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
i loved compusa, i worked there for a while, the employee discount sucked but the pay was nice when i worked up to selling computers ((we were commission based there, and as cassidy said "i can sell salt to a slug"))

macogw
January 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I liked that CompUSA had their computers online, unlike Best Buy, so I could look up what parts would work with Linux as I shopped. I also think putting an Apple Store inside the CompUSA made about 1000000000x more sense than those standalone Apple Stores. Apple's only got like 10 products. You don't need a whole store for that!

CCNA_student
January 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Fry's Electronics is better than CompUSA anyway.

bufsabre666
January 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Fry's Electronics is better than CompUSA anyway.

new egg beats both of them

yabbadabbadont
January 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
new egg beats both of them

Perhaps, but it is not possible to walk into New Egg and pickup a piece of hardware and check it out... ;)

bufsabre666
January 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
i cant exactly pick up a gfx card and test it out in frys or compusa without buying it either can i?

yabbadabbadont
January 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I said, "check it out", not "test it out". :p

sumguy231
January 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I wish I had a Compusa nearby so I could go to one of their liquidation sales. Check out some of the merchandise:
http://www.digg.com/hardware/CompUSA_sells_the_worst_10_Dollar_Laptop_at_liquid ation_Sale_3

fedex1993
January 16th, 2008, 02:49 AM
well what i have noticed here in dallas with frys is they sell used stuff which i thought was amazing and some stuff is more expensive than bestbuy which i thought was funny as all get out

kevdog
January 16th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Fry's might be the best walk-in computer store I know -- although MicroCenter is pretty good too -- however you pay for this premium. Both stores seem really expensive.

Tundro Walker
January 16th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I've noticed that every time I bought memory at Fry's, the package was already opened, and had an orange sticker on it saying "this product may have been previously used and returned, but is still under full warranty and guaranteed."

Hmmm...

A friend of mine also had about half the stuff he bought from Fry's crap out shortly after purchase. However, I think that was more due to the brand-name he was buying (really cheap, POS stuff), rather than anything Fry's-related.

I will say that when I was at CompUSA, their staff did seem knowledgable about things. Plus, I could use their training dept to take certification exams at.

Some other company bought them up, so they may be coming back under the same name soon. But, I would think they would keep their shelf stock if they were going to do that. Maybe that company is clearing out the store space and going to start selling popsicle sticks instead. =P

sports fan Matt
January 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Fry's here around Chicago is indeeed nice (Downers Grove) and I called microcenter on the north side of Chicago is very helpful from what ive heard ..alot endorse it as being also very excellent..(I think im going to buy more memory from micro center cause I trust them)

toupeiro
January 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I dont know about the rest of the US, but the CompUSA in my hometown was horrible. Even their "liquidation" prices are a joke. Some of the tags say "take ten dollars off" yeah, ten dollars off of something you already marked up twice the competitions asking price. I can say this much for them, they stick by their guns. Their horrible pricing is what made them unable to compete with the Best Buys, Circuit Cities and Fryes of the world, and its the same horrible pricing that will cause them to bulk liquidate that they couldn't sell to vendors who sell at computer shows, where it will be sold for significantly less than CompUSA liquidation price, but still more than what CompUSA sold it to the resellers.

They don't get it, they never got it.

I don't have a Fryes local to me. I have to drive about 2 hours min. to get to one. Maybe that will change. :( I don't know how widespread they are, but I go to PC Club (http://www.pcclub.com/) for anything I need. I've been pretty happy with them, and am kind of glad CompUSA's departure means more business for them.

macogw
January 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I will say that when I was at CompUSA, their staff did seem knowledgable about things. Plus, I could use their training dept to take certification exams at.

Unlike Best Buy, they require their techs to be A+ Certified. A+ doesn't mean much (it's equivalent to about 6mo of experience), but at least you know they know *something* and aren't going to lie to you out of ignorance.

macogw
January 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Their horrible pricing is what made them unable to compete with the Best Buys, Circuit Cities and Fryes of the world.
I don't recall their prices being any worse than Best Buy's. They both charge twice as much as New Egg for memory.

Circuit City, though, has some nice deals. It seems that for the first two weeks after a higher capacity of storage comes out (ex: 4GB Sony MicroVault when they only made 2GB before), it is marked down to 20% below the previous capacity's price. The reason I specified the model is that it goes by model, so it happens multiple times, not just for the first model to hit that capacity. So, just after a higher capacity is reached in the industry, it'll happen a bunch of times as the models release. My 4GB of the above model was $40 (in July), while the 2GB version was $50. My 2GB SD card was $20, while the 1GB ones were $25. Circuit City's great.

forrestcupp
January 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
CompUSA was overpriced anyway. The only good thing about them was that they had a much larger selection of computer things than Best Buy does. Has anyone noticed that Best Buy's selection is pitiful compared to what it was 10 years ago?

Fry's isn't all that great. I got a good deal on a refrigerator there that has done me good. But every time I've bought computer parts from them, they didn't work and I had to take them back. Every time.

I only order computer stuff online now. Pricewatch.com is the way to go.

bimmerd00d
January 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I heard from my local store this weekend that Compusa stores are possibly turning into TigerDirect outlets. At least the one in frisco, tx is according to the manager.

kevdog
January 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Any one use techbargains.com in addition to pricewatch.com?

sports fan Matt
January 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
if thats true for the one in frisco, ill have to fly to dallas more..I have family near there:)

forrestcupp
January 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Any one use techbargains.com in addition to pricewatch.com?

pretty cool site, but their interface is not as streamlined and easy to use as pricewatch. But it's always good to have another resource to check.