PDA

View Full Version : Google cleared to bid in wireless auction.

John.Michael.Kane
January 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thoughts.
http://news.zdnet.com/2110-1035_22-6226146.html

Tristam Green
January 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Will be interesting to see if they truly have the clout to hold against Ma Bell Reborn and Verizon.

Paving the way for free wlan access in the US? I don't know. I could see "Google Hotspots" popping up all over though, and in unlikely places even, and if not free then at a MUCH lower price than the competitors (read: T-Mobile, AT&T, etc). If they went with a low-price pay-as-you-go wlan access nationwide, perhaps it'd be enough to offset the ad revenue?

I'm not a business kind of guy though, so this is mere mortal speculation.

Æniad
January 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm suspicious of free access, especially from a group like Google who's known to log data. Will I take advantage of their internet if it becomes available? Probably. But I'll be using a proxy server.

Tristam Green
January 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Good point, but I'm fairly certain that ISPs in general have access logs of their customers (at bare minimum, access times and durations without locations).

That proxy's looking quite nice as well :D

Polygon
January 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
true if they do have free hotspots, they will most likely log your data. You can get around this of course by using a proxy server, and most secure sites have the traffic encrypted anyway. Not to mention the privacy in numbers, how many people will be using this service, and do you really think googles gonna care about what joe smo does on the internet?

Æniad
January 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
and do you really think googles gonna care about what joe smo does on the internet?

That's irrelevant, I don't like the idea of a big corporation logging what sites I go to.

bashveank
January 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Well I do trust Google, I think they've used their mined data responsibly in the past, and their add service in non-intrusive anyway.

tom66
January 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
How does using a proxy server on WLAN work? It goes through the WLAN (which could be logged), to a proxy, to the website (right?)

Though I wouldn't know too much, I'm not great at networking.

mips
January 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
How does using a proxy server on WLAN work? It goes through the WLAN (which could be logged), to a proxy, to the website (right?)

Though I wouldn't know too much, I'm not great at networking.

The traffic between the PC & Proxy is encrypted. You would only know the source and destination address between those to points but you cannot see the traffic.

The traffic between the Proxy & Website could encrypted or unencrypted but it does not really matter as the ISP/Google will not see this traffic anyway seeing it gets encrypted regardless when it reaches the Proxy.