PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about linux class

visualdeception
January 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM
So I have been pushing Ubuntu at the Hospital that I work at. But the biggest complaint that I have been getting is that when one tries Ubuntu they are not sure exactly where to go....

I was thinking of "developing" a beginers linux class...if thats what you would call it that.

Basically totally hands on....running straight from the Ubuntu live cd. Showing new users how to navigate, how to install apps via both CLI and GUI. Basics of the CLI. How to compile your own packages.

Any ideas of what else should be added.....also if I go through with the whole thing I may be willing to do this in other locations if people think it would be helpful....

thoughts????ideas???

family
January 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Make sure that they are comfortable with synaptic, and why not force them to make accounts here in case they need help XD?
Also, ubuntu.packages.com is a great resource when Synaptic is feeling down, so I guess teach them that GDebi is their friend and which mirror to pick if they ever need to download a package from there.
Everything else is sooooooo self-explanatory.
Good luck.

simon.a.ruiz
January 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I think it's a pretty awesome idea.

The first thing that comes to mind for me here is don't try introducing them to the package manager on their first day playing with Ubuntu. I would just give them a complete tour of the default Ubuntu set up of the GNOME desktop. I'd go through what all the default applications do and where they're at, how to navigate the filesystem and where/how to save their files and how to move files around and such, maybe how to customize the desktop through the System-Preferences menu (Appearance -> Visual Effects -> Extra, wobble the window??? depending on hardware ;-))

And I wouldn't even mention the command-line unless you know the people in your class are interested in it. Maybe offer a special "advanced basics" class where you specify you're going to be going into the command-line so you know your whole audience is on board and engaged.

Pretty close on the heels of just knowing their way around the GNOME desktop, I'd say, should be a tour through "How do I get help?" land - showing them the Help and Support option under System (actually pretty neat, and you can install documentation packages that extend it), The forums, local communities, special interest communities (Ubuntu Students, Ubuntu Women, Edubuntu, etc.), explain mailing lists, maybe IRC, etc.

I might even lead them all through an install process, or invite those who want to bring in their computers to have help on hand while they install it.

Anyhow, you've got an excellent idea. Run with it! Keep us posted!

Simón

visualdeception
February 18th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I think I am going to delve into the command line just a little bit. As the people that are asking for the class are techs that I work with. They can run a computer, they just don't know where to start on ubuntu.

Basics really dpkg, compiling a package, that sort of stuff. Basically the things that when I started really frustrated me, because I didn't really know where to look.

I'm shooting for a March date I think. Hopefully we will have an influx of user from Muncie area after this class.

simon.a.ruiz
February 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Wow, dpkg and compiling?

That's pretty hardcore. I guess I misinterpreted your definition of "beginner".

I had to study that stuff for my LPI 101 exam. Too bad you weren't working on a class back then! ;-)

visualdeception
February 18th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Basically the users are techs that work with me. They can already fix a computer issue. They just aren't sure what linux apps to use instead of a windows one.

They are all already used to using DOS in windows so, I figured some mildly basic command line commands would be helpful. I mean you never really know when you might need to try and compile a new app you want to try, or a .deb file you would like installed.

I may be going over some of their heads but they are all the type that if you give them more info than they need they will stash it for later.

JT9161
February 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Sounds like a great idea but how large of a scale are you talking ? especially if its at a hospital you need things working correctly 24/7

visualdeception
February 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
It would just be for the techs to use at home. I've already given pitch after pitch about open source. They are looking at some of it

visualdeception
February 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
So I have scheduled my class...I will post my "basic" outline Probably with in the next couple days. So the group can take a look and see what I am giving the "class" on.

Would any other people/groups be interested in this. I will make myself and my outline available if wanted.

thanks for the input!!

visualdeception
February 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Whoops! Forgot I will also be offering install help after the class so that should help as well.

visualdeception
March 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Did the class on Friday. All seemed to go well. Not as well attended as I hoped but with only offering to a few people, what do you expect. If you are curious about what I taught on, my basic notes are on linux.dudenhofer.net

Now I am just doing some follow up with the guys, and helping convert to linux.

simon.a.ruiz
March 11th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Excellent!

In my experience less people gives a chance to go more in depth with each person (assuming they interact and don't just sit there mute...), so that's not necessarily something to be bummed about.

Good job!

visualdeception
March 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yea, the guys were really excited to actually be shown how to do things in linux. I know at least 2 of them are talking about switching to straight ubuntu at home....so one goal achieved.

simon.a.ruiz
March 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cool. So, we should be expecting more people jumping on the LoCo team? ;-)

visualdeception
March 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hopefully, I'm going to try and see if I can get a group out for the release party