PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on firefox marketshare growth

Methuselah
January 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
From January 2007:

Despite 100 Million IE 7 Installs, Microsoft's Browser Still Loses Ground

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142

So microsoft was pushing ie7 on windows users but with the effect of lowering ie6 share but not really affecting firefox.

I think firefox's success so far is remarkabale in that anyone using it went out of the way to install it instead of another free alternative that probably came with their system.

The first article makes an interesting point in the end:

Johnston wasn't confident that Microsoft would ever be able to make inroads on Firefox's growing share. "Once someone gets used to Firefox, especially its extensions, and unless they think IE 7 or IE 8 or whatever comes in the future is so much better, they're going to stay with Firefox," says Johnston.

"Maybe Microsoft's met its match with Firefox. Maybe it just can't compete against open-source and the whole world [as developers]."

Bingo!
Every new version of open source software tend to have features people actually want! Hopefully, other open source efforts continue to make inroads. They tend to propagate in a viral way since there is no centralised marketing machine. However, once they reach critical mass, watch out!

andlinux21
January 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I enjoy firefox and I try not to add too many plugins its just great for me.

Methuselah
January 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I don't have any extensions; not sure which ones will be useful.

bufsabre666
January 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
adblock

i couldnt live without adblock now

GSF1200S
January 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
27 extensions and I use them all- will never use another browser :)

conehead77
January 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
27 extensions and I use them all- will never use another browser :)

27! :shock:

i thought my 7 were too many...

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I use a few extensions, moreso usually than I am right now, as I find that a few of them really do improve the browsing experience.

Firefox really does improve from version to version though, introducing things like session saving, proper tab-bar control, and in the latest version 'full page zoom'. I find that latter addition very helpful as I'm visually impaired.

As to which extensions I find the most helpful... well, I have to admit that half of them are so that I can improve Firefox visually and streamline it. Here's an example:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5396/firefoxscreenshot140108wu5.th.png (http://imageshack.us)

And here's the list:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater: Adds the Filterset.G list to Adblock Plus, as it seems better than the lists ABP can subscribe to by default.
Adblock Plus (this one needs no explanation).
CuteMenus - Crystal SVG: This adds icons to my context menu that suit the theme Swiftweasel uses by default.
Fission: Binds the progress-bar and various status-bar functions to the URL-bar (which allowed me to hide the status-bar).
FlashGot: Allows me to speedily pass big downloads to wget, gwget, MultiGet or whichever download app I like, right from within the download dialogue.
GMail Notifier (again, this one needs no explanation).
keyconfig: Allows one to rebind keys to their liking, or bind new functions to keys.
Linkification: Turns pure text links into clickable links.
NoScript: Extra protection from site annoyances -- no flash or javascript unless I say so, this equals less epilepsy and that's good.
Personal Menu: Compacts all the dropdown menus (File, View, Tools, Go, et cetera) into one, and allows for the customisation thereof so one only has the menu items they actually use (the left-most button in my screenshot, this is, and also bound to Alt+F thanks to keyconfig).
TabMixPlus: This is becoming less nessescary with each new release of Firefox, but I keep it around for tab cloning and to alter the Ctrl+Tab behaviour of tab-switching (I prefer the swap & pop style to the hard 1-2-3-4 stack style of switching).

Each of these are extensions I probably couldn't live without, simply because they make my browsing experience so much cleaner. I also have some custom work done in my userContent/userChrome, and one or two custom extensions that I've never released out of fear of abject ridicule, so the fact that I can develop the browser myself comes in handy too.

GSF1200S
January 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
27! :shock:

i thought my 7 were too many...

Heh.. :)

GSF1200S
January 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I use a few extensions, moreso usually than I am right now, as I find that a few of them really do improve the browsing experience.

Firefox really does improve from version to version though, introducing things like session saving, proper tab-bar control, and in the latest version 'full page zoom'. I find that latter addition very helpful as I'm visually impaired.

As to which extensions I find the most helpful... well, I have to admit that half of them are so that I can improve Firefox visually and streamline it. Here's an example:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5396/firefoxscreenshot140108wu5.th.png (http://imageshack.us)

And here's the list:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater: Adds the Filterset.G list to Adblock Plus, as it seems better than the lists ABP can subscribe to by default.
Adblock Plus (this one needs no explanation).
CuteMenus - Crystal SVG: This adds icons to my context menu that suit the theme Swiftweasel uses by default.
Fission: Binds the progress-bar and various status-bar functions to the URL-bar (which allowed me to hide the status-bar).
FlashGot: Allows me to speedily pass big downloads to wget, gwget, MultiGet or whichever download app I like, right from within the download dialogue.
GMail Notifier (again, this one needs no explanation).
keyconfig: Allows one to rebind keys to their liking, or bind new functions to keys.
Linkification: Turns pure text links into clickable links.
NoScript: Extra protection from site annoyances -- no flash or javascript unless I say so, this equals less epilepsy and that's good.
Personal Menu: Compacts all the dropdown menus (File, View, Tools, Go, et cetera) into one, and allows for the customisation thereof so one only has the menu items they actually use (the left-most button in my screenshot, this is, and also bound to Alt+F thanks to keyconfig).
TabMixPlus: This is becoming less nessescary with each new release of Firefox, but I keep it around for tab cloning and to alter the Ctrl+Tab behaviour of tab-switching (I prefer the swap & pop style to the hard 1-2-3-4 stack style of switching).

Each of these are extensions I probably couldn't live without, simply because they make my browsing experience so much cleaner. I also have some custom work done in my userContent/userChrome, and one or two custom extensions that I've never released out of fear of abject ridicule, so the fact that I can develop the browser myself comes in handy too.

Agreed. At first I went feature crazy with Firefox. Then I begin to hate the fact that it took up half my screen just displaying all my crap. Since then, ive cut down on options and extensions, and try to simplify the broswer..

Bungo Pony
January 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Nice to see that my favorite browser (Opera) is also gaining ground! :)

I initially tried Firefox a few years ago, and was unimpressed with how sluggish it was on my (ancient) PC. After I tried Opera and saw how well it worked (and how it worked faster) I was sold, and I haven't looked back.