PDA

View Full Version : Delete posts?

mlomker
September 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
There doesn't seem to be an option to delete a post. Is there a technical reason for that or am I just not seeing the option?

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
There doesn't seem to be an option to delete a post. Is there a technical reason for that or am I just not seeing the option?
I have this option available. Very interesting.

az
September 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
If you edit your post, you are given the option to delete it.

***Edit: Okay, I am wrong.***

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
If you edit your post, you are given the option to delete it.

***Edit: Okay, I am wrong.***
Not a big deal azz, but for some reason it was disabled, I have the option open, but why others don't is beyond me. I am sure that users were deleing their posts, and in this case was shortening the post count to the forums, or...because they didn't want the users to have this specific access because of to much power over their own post.

I am probably wrong on both statements or maybe one, but I am sure it's one or the other :)

panickedthumb
September 18th, 2005, 01:27 AM
A few weeks back, Ryan disabled that option. You can no longer delete your own posts. perhaps he left the option available tof VIPs?

bored2k
September 18th, 2005, 01:40 AM
We had been getting several issues with unhappy users deleting posts because they were mad at some point, which would leave a whole thread unreadable or simply null (deleting the initial post in a thread = bad), which is why I believe removing that option is a good step. If anyone ever wants to delete his own posts, private message someone from the Staff with your reason and we will think about it.

panickedthumb
September 18th, 2005, 01:52 AM
"private message someone from the Staff with your reason and we will think about it."

And most likely we'll do it. Most reasons are totally legitimate.

mlomker
September 18th, 2005, 04:30 AM
I can understand about the not deleting the first post thing, but think about it...I can still edit a post at any point and leave it totally blank. So what's the difference?

bored2k
September 18th, 2005, 04:59 AM
I can understand about the not deleting the first post thing, but think about it...I can still edit a post at any point and leave it totally blank. So what's the difference?
If I am not incorrect, deleting a first post would delete the thread. But, if you have good intentions, just PM us and we'll delete the post. If you blank out stuff just so others won't get help, we will intervene, one way or the other ;).

XDevHald
September 18th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by panickedthumb
perhaps he left the option available tof VIPs?
Yes he did. I do use it, but for good reasons only.

mlomker
September 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
If you blank out stuff just so others won't get help, we will intervene, one way or the other ;).

People can only edit their own posts. How do you intend to intervene if someone wants to correct a typo or erroneous advice? I don't think you and I are on the same page regarding this issue.

The question arose after I had replied to a thread and then went to double-check the information that I provided. I realized that I was mistaken and didn't have anything worthwhile to say. I tried to delete the response to let somebody else help the poster, but I couldn't delete the reply.

My options were to either leave a blank reply or something like Edit: Sorry, I guess I don't have anything to add.

If the intention was to prevent threads from disappearing then this solution is not going to work! The original poster can always make the first message empty even if they cannot delete it, but now people that make an error in a reply cannot remove it.

XDevHald
September 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
If the intention was to prevent threads from disappearing then this solution is not going to work! The original poster can always make the first message empty even if they cannot delete it, but now people that make an error in a reply cannot remove it.

Good point. I don't have anything else for this post as it's still early for me to dig in my brain, but he did make a good point on this.

kassetra
September 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
The question arose after I had replied to a thread and then went to double-check the information that I provided. I realized that I was mistaken and didn't have anything worthwhile to say. I tried to delete the response to let somebody else help the poster, but I couldn't delete the reply.

When I was looking through the admin control panel - I did not see any obvious way that would prevent people from deleting just the first post if delete was enabled. It is very possible that the forum software has a one-size-fits-all delete feature - in which case we wouldn't be able to prevent thread nastiness - by preventing the first post from being deleted, but allowing the rest to be - so unfortunately it may have to remain an inconvenience to users that would like to delete their own posts. (Until we have an option of preventing first-post-deletion - if it is truly unavailable, as it would appear to be.)

It's not a way to prevent threads from "disappearing" in the way that you mean (although - it could help, who knows?) -- it's a way to prevent data corruption when the first post "disappears" ... (of course - that's when I looked in our admincp - it's very possible that there are ways to fix this that I don't know about / haven't seen.)