PDA

View Full Version : blender book

zezerbing
January 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Wellhello. My son is playing around with blender. The new book is out, but it seems advanced. Is there a starter book for this or is that book all-incompasing?

RemmyLee
January 11th, 2008, 02:30 AM
As far as paper products go, I'm not really familiar with many based around blender, but if you search for BLENDER.OPUS.MAGNUM, you'll find a torrent containing a bunch of freely available video tutorials. They start with the very basics of the interface and progress all the way through animation.

DirtDawg
January 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I have the 2.3 guide and it does start with the basics. Blender can seem daunting as it often uses technical terms rather than 'cute' ones. For (a fake) example, there may be a "vertex curve alteration" button rather than a "magnet" tool.

I personally think your son would probably be capable of handling it if he interested and around high school age. Maybe even Jr. High.

It also depends on the chapter as they're all written by different people. Some are better than others.

Frumious Boojum
January 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
The official Blender book has good points and bad points. However, it's not worth the price... there are tons of problems with the book falling apart before you even purchase it. I guess there's going to be a new pringting, so hopefully that printing will correct those problems.

DirtDawg
January 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The official Blender book has good points and bad points. However, it's not worth the price... there are tons of problems with the book falling apart before you even purchase it. I guess there's going to be a new pringting, so hopefully that printing will correct those problems.

My copy has held up for 2 years and heavy reading just fine.

Frumious Boojum
January 12th, 2008, 12:20 AM
My copy has held up for 2 years and heavy reading just fine.

Think we might be talking about a different one... the Essential Blender was first published in 2007.

DirtDawg
January 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Think we might be talking about a different one... the Essential Blender was first published in 2007.

Indeed we are. Mine is called The Blender 2.3 Guide.

Frumious Boojum
January 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Sorry about that confusion...

I tried the Essential Blender (which is the newest of the official books) and, while it seems like a great one for beginning on, there definitely seems to be a big problem in quality control with the publishers. The first copy that arrived (from Amazon) had many pages that fell out immediately. Returned and the second copy did the same thing. Amazon wouldn't replace it any more since it wasn't an isolated incident, so I didn't get to try out a third -- but looking into some comments on Amazon, I'm not the only one to experience the unlucky two bad ones.

Hopefully, the next printing will be usable.

caricc
March 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
There is a great tutorial at www.cdsschools.org. This is a high school website. Though it is for ver 2.42a, it still would be good to use with 2.45. Also this is a pdf download, it's 118 pages.

Enjoy.