manicka
September 17th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Today we are all 'Ubuntu Mocha Blend's'

What's happening?

majikstreet
September 17th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Today we are all 'Ubuntu Mocha Blend's'

What's happening?
are you serious, everyone is? damnit!!!i thought i was special..

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 01:43 AM
are you serious, everyone is? damnit!!!i thought i was special..
Of course you're special!

:D :D :D

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it...hmm, steve above me is still a walking coffee mug

KiwiNZ
September 17th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Its a change made by the Forum Leadership to align the registered users titles.

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 03:15 AM
In the wake of the controversial coffee muggers thread I guess I understand, but I'll miss the witty and amusing titles.

Copter
September 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM
In the wake of the controversial coffee muggers thread I guess I understand, but I'll miss the witty and amusing titles.hmm.. same goes here.

manicka
September 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Not a bad idea. More inline with the Ubuntu ethos.

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Not a bad idea. More inline with the Ubuntu ethos.
I like it better than the other names, it brings more of a soft feeling to Ubuntu Forums and Mocha is good :D

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I like it better than the other names
Just from an "I'm trying to make a joke here, don't take it too seriously" standpoint, I'd rather have a double espresso with a half-spoonful of sugar and a scone.

macgyver2
September 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I like it.

On a related note, then, is that why the post counts have stopped incrementing too?

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Just from an "I'm trying to make a joke here, don't take it too seriously" standpoint, I'd rather have a double espresso with a half-spoonful of sugar and a scone.
Now that's a name to look forward to having one day :D lol

I don't have a comment on the post count as I don't really notice it.

macgyver2
September 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Between when I wrote that and now a couple of posts have been added to mine. Dunno what to make of it...seems a bit random now. I noticed it not imcrementing sometime yesterday afternoon. Personally, though, I'd like to see the post counts go away entirely.

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I don't make it a focus usually, but I generally know where I am within 50, mainly because I kept watching to see whn I would get a new snappy and amusing title. Since macgyver2 posted that he noticed the count wasn't increasing I looked and after two new posts mine hasn't increased, so I guess it is turned off. Of course, without the changing titles it isn't that significant anyway...although I do like knowing who is more/less active here. Ultimately, I guess it isn't really a big deal.

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
I don't make it a focus usually, but I generally know where I am within 50, mainly because I kept watching to see whn I would get a new snappy and amusing title. Since macgyver2 posted that he noticed the count wasn't increasing I looked and after two new posts mine hasn't increased, so I guess it is turned off. Of course, without the changing titles it isn't that significant anyway...although I do like knowing who is more/less active here. Ultimately, I guess it isn't really a big deal.
The post count doesn't increase in the Community Chat or the Site Discussions, which is odd, but it just works that way as it's just free chat and gets more posts than the other sections (well right now they do).

macgyver2
September 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
The post count doesn't increase in the Community Chat or the Site Discussions, which is odd, but it just works that way as it's just free chat and gets more posts than the other sections (well right now they do).
You're right, that's it. And I like that it doesn't increase for CC posts anymore...though I noticed my post count hasn't gone down either, so I guess the post count is a static thing, not a dynamic thing that can be recalculated to exclude past CC posts. Unfortunately that leaves members joining now at a disadvantage... It would be nice if the post counts were to just be shut off completely.

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
You're right, that's it. And I like that it doesn't increase for CC posts anymore...though I noticed my post count hasn't gone down either, so I guess the post count is a static thing, not a dynamic thing that can be recalculated to exclude past CC posts. Unfortunately that leaves members joining now at a disadvantage... It would be nice if the post counts were to just be shut off completely.
That would be an interesting thing to do for a day to see how it goes, but I am sure the users would find it odd, while others enjoy it. I myself would love this to be an act right now and the post count be gone totally so that we don't have anyone enjoying the post count rising for them to get a different rank every 50-300 posts.

We'll see what happens :D

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Actually, this makes a lot of sense for those who look at post count as a way to help them determine if someone is perhaps more authoritative in their technical knowledge than another. It certaily isn't the only thing, but if two people are giving diametrically opposite advice in a technical forum, especially with something that isn't Linux-universal but rather Ubuntu-specific I think a newbie would be more likely to use the post count to help them decide which may be the more apt suggeston. Community chat is a fun place where I hang out regularly, but as it increases my post count more than someone who posts less often but spends all their time in a more technical support arena I think it makes the count less useful. The post count title might be modified to read something like "technical forum posts" or something???

Okay, after a quick re-read of this I'm not sure whether I'm expressing my thoughts as I would really like. I don't want my words to be misinterpreted to imply I believe post count is an absolute or even accurate measure of the quality of advice one may receive from a specific poster. Rather than try to flesh out my words completely, please know this is where I am coming from and I'll pass the admittedly incomplete idea on for further discussion in case it might be found useful.

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Actually, this makes a lot of sense for those who look at post count as a way to help them determine if someone is perhaps more authoritative in their technical knowledge than another. It certaily isn't the only thing, but if two people are giving diametrically opposite advice in a technical forum, especially with something that isn't Linux-universal but rather Ubuntu-specific I think a newbie would be more likely to use the post count to help them decide which may be the more apt suggeston. Community chat is a fun place where I hang out regularly, but as it increases my post count more than someone who posts less often but spends all their time in a more technical support arena I think it makes the count less useful. The post count title might be modified to read something like "technical forum posts" or something???

Okay, after a quick re-read of this I'm not sure whether I'm expressing my thoughts as I would really like. I don't want my words to be misinterpreted to imply I believe post count is an absolute or even accurate measure of the quality of advice one may receive from a specific poster. Rather than try to flesh out my words completely, please know this is where I am coming from and I'll pass the admittedly incomplete idea on for further discussion in case it might be found useful.

It's not a bad quote at all that you have given out to us, but one could have 800+ posts or 400+ posts and the one who replies with 800+ knows less than the one with 400+ post count and is more knowledgable than the 800+ post count.

I'm just pointing out that the count can be tricky and make others think that the more posts you have the more knowledge you have. While others such as myself don't see it that way. But again, like you said you come from a different view of things as well as we all do, and there is nothing wrong with that view at all.

seiflotfy
September 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
hwo can i become a walking coffe mug or dipped in ubuntu :-P hehehehe

ubuntu-geek
September 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM
It would be nice if the post counts were to just be shut off completely.

This is something we actually are considering.

XDevHald
September 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
hwo can i become a walking coffe mug or dipped in ubuntu :-P hehehehe
The answer for that would be, either become staff or request it, I could be wrong :)

skoal
September 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
[...] if two people are giving diametrically opposite advice in a technical forum, especially with something that isn't Linux-universal but rather Ubuntu-specific I think a newbie would be more likely to use the post count to help them decide which may be the more apt suggeston.
I agree. In fact, on several occasions I offered some technical advice along with several other posts above mine. The other posts did not have a "supporter" tag associated with them either. At the end of the thread, the parent poster thanked me explicitly, and I couldn't help but feel a tad bit embarassed for the other posts who helped reach a solution as well. I think for most new to linux, the image (or perception) of "knowledge" or "trust" is inherently linked to titles, in relation to the complexity of understanding needed here. Shoot, I think it's just instinct, much like analyzing the "value" of a CIO vs. a manager. When I visit other linux forums, even I am more inclined to trust fancy titles (like 'l33t master'), when there's probably no justification or relevance for it (other than a high post count).

I think if the emphasis in these forums is on providing technical help (or support), as it should, there should be some relevance between a title and that member's contribution. I believe the "reputation" system was established for that purpose as well. Either way, if titles mean something to those members here, and newcomers perceive (or associate) those titles as relevant to "trust" or "knowledge" (and which I agree that perception is real), then maybe it's a great way to motivate us all to contribute more to helping others, instead of just idling by at the keyboard in "community chat"...

\\//_