PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of KDE,,,,

cartisdm
January 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I realize I'm probably being really biased but I've had Ubuntu installed on my laptop and running GNOME since around August or so and I have no complaints, Two days ago I convinced my roommate to give Ubuntu a shot since his Windows system crashed. I set it all up for him and gave us both our own profile to use (since it's a desktop in our room) and I figured since I run GNOME all the time that I'd run KDE instead for my profile on his PC,

Long story short, so far I'm not impressed with KDE. Don't get me wrong, but I just don't see what's so good about it. I get lots of crashes with random applets (but that could very well be his system) however the desktop isn't nearly what I was expecting:-|

Here's a screenshot of my GNOME system and I'm still running the default KDE on the other.

Methuselah
January 9th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I used it for a few days and was impressed during that time.
Then I tired of its busyness and went back to GNOME...

Besides, most of my apps are based on GTK+ so I have to pull in a a lot of otherwise unecessary libraries to run KDE.

ubuntu27
January 9th, 2008, 05:17 AM
hi cartisdm :D Don't judge KDE yet. I bet you you installed KUBUNTU or Ubuntu + KDE. As many of us knows, Kubuntu is second "citizen" after Ubuntu. My experience with Kubuntu has been hell. It crushed every minute. But know, I am using Debian with KDE and I really love it. I doesn't crash and it obeys me :)

You should try other distros with KDE. Kubuntu is not a good example on KDE>

TheOrangePeanut
January 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Amarok is an awesome KDE app, but I was otherwise not impressed either. I used KDEmod on Arch recently (though I've used Gnome for several months, I wanted to try something else) and it just felt like a cluttered mess. I also HATE HATE HATE the naming scheme. It makes it so hard to find applications in a menu when there is a K in front of EVERYTHING.

The only thing that I like about KDE is that it is QT based, which is an OO development library and GTK is not. As a programmer, I like that, but not enough to switch DEs.

jrusso2
January 9th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Kubuntu is really not a good representation of what a KDE desktop can be.

FuturePilot
January 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'd have to agree on what others have said. Don't judge KDE based on your experience with Kubuntu. I've tried Kubuntu on many occasions and it was a headache. If you want to try KDE try a KDE centric distro.

p_quarles
January 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Good KDE-centric distros: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, OpenSuSE.

Anyhow, my opinion: I love a number of KDE apps (Basket Notes, Kate, Krusader, amaroK, aKregator, Kaffeine, and K3b), but don't really care for KWin. I resolved the issue for myself by running those apps in Fluxbox.

cartisdm
January 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'd have to agree on what others have said. Don't judge KDE based on your experience with Kubuntu. I've tried Kubuntu on many occasions and it was a headache. If you want to try KDE try a KDE centric distro.

Fair enough, like I said I knew I was being biased:) Next time I'll give KDE more of a shot on a recommended distro

GSF1200S
January 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM
KDE is nice to me. Built with apt from a command line install- rock solid, fast, and not at all busy. What is "busyness" exactly?

Lostincyberspace
January 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I second this thread I think it is very boring its apps are some of the best though.

the_darkside_986
January 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I've run KDE on Ubuntu before, and it's not the most pleasant experience. But right now, I'm on openSUSE 10.3 and I selected KDE as my desktop. So far it is very nice and has a lot better applications than Gnome. I like how my GTK and QT apps look the same (even though GTK apps take slightly longer to load, i.e. Epiphany).

I like the KDE application development framework, and KDevelop is wonderful. The development libraries rival that of proprietary platforms. In one of the KDE examples, it showed how to embed a KHTML control in a form and essentially create a simple web browser with only 96 lines of code. And Qt, being written in C++, looks a lot less awkward than GTK2, IMO.

Also, the way KHTML handles the buggy proprietary flash plugin is better than gecko because the browser doesn't crash or freeze, I only get a silly popup about "nsplugin.so" crashing but I close it out and continue. KHTML does have some problems, but I suspect everything will be much better when/if we finally ever get WebKit.

But I still can't find a decent GUI video transcoder for either desktop that actually works properly. At least I finally learned how to use mencoder from the commandline.

SunnyRabbiera
January 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Kubuntu is really not a good representation of what a KDE desktop can be.

yeh, though Kubuntu gutsy is pretty good.
but there are better ones for KDE though, Mandriva and Mepis come to mind

SomeGuyDude
January 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM
From a few distros, I didn't like KDE.

I put on OpenSUSE and now I adore it. When KDE4 comes out, awesomeness is imminent.

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i have to say i'm very biased right now towards kde, first distro i tried was ubuntu with gnome of course, and thats the first thing i saw, i didnt really like 6.06 though i didnt really know much about linux then, because i didnt like ubuntu gnome then, i fooled around a little, most distros were kde and i liked kde for about a year, then switched back to ubuntu 7.10 i fell in love with gnome, i suppose its more of a distro that i like, but i've tried kubuntu before and i thought it was horrible, although i havent tried mint kde yet, and i have a feeling i would like it, and possibly debian kde i would probably like *goes searching for a iso* :lolflag:

sunexplodes
January 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I think a lot of the problem is that people don't give KDE enough of a chance. A few months ago, I forced myself to spend a whole week with KDE (and use native apps wherever possible), and it took a while, but once I figured out how to get things configured the way I wanted, and started to understand its nuances, I began to love it.

Ever since then, every time I've tried to return to GNOME or XFCE I become very frustrated with them and return to K.

GeneralZod
January 9th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think a lot of the problem is that people don't give KDE enough of a chance. A few months ago, I forced myself to spend a whole week with KDE (and use native apps wherever possible), and it took a while, but once I figured out how to get things configured the way I wanted, and started to understand its nuances, I began to love it.

I agree with this: KDE makes a truly horrendous first impression: it's ugly by default, and many default settings are very annoying. The fact that first impressions count is something that the KDE guys only just seem to be grasping.

capink
January 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Here's a screenshot of my GNOME system and I'm still running the default KDE on the other.

I like your wallpaper. You post a link for it?

kvonb
January 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Kubuntu seems to have quite a few problems unfortunately, although I've overcome most of them now :).

I like my desktop, especially the panel which is so much more configurable than gnome-panel which drives me nuts with those damned handles when you turn off "expand to desktop"!

I even managed to make my panel slightly transparent too, which I could never do under Gnome.

Plus I can run games (ET, ETQW, RTCW, HL2 etc') without having to turn Compiz off, I'm using the default built in KDE transparency. It has a few niggles, but is very stable.

xkorakidis
January 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
cartisdm nice style ;) it looks like a mac :)
how can I do that?
that's my current desktop..
By the way I tried kde in fedora but really I didn't like it at all... I think gnome is simpler and easier to manage..

tbroderick
January 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
It makes it so hard to find applications in a menu when there is a K in front of EVERYTHING.

That can be easily changed to "Description (Name)" Example: "Download Manager (Kget)". And 'k' isn't in front of amarok or digikam. :wink:

cartisdm
January 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I like your wallpaper. You post a link for it?

I'm using my roommates desktop right now but soon as I get access to my laptop I'll give more details and post a wallpaper link (I found it somewhere online and gave it a green color scheme in GIMP;))