PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu pride

markyb86
January 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Is it wrong, being a registered ubuntu user, to go on to use other distributions? I feel like id be letting someone down.

rabid9797
January 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM
nope

Lostincyberspace
January 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
As long as its Linux i wouldn't feel ashamed.

njparton
January 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I agree and flit between ubuntu and opensuse.

p_quarles
January 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, absolutely. That would be like breaking your wedding vows, disowning your children and parents, abandoning your dog by the highway, and renouncing your god all in one fell swoop, only ten thousand times worse. ;)

Seriously, though, no. It's all the same stuff under the hood, and there are plenty of Ubuntu community members who don't actually use Ubuntu as their main OS. Not a big deal at all.

Linuxratty
January 4th, 2008, 11:45 PM
No...Use what you like...if it's Linux,it's all good.
I do distro hop and am using Mepis7 right now with plans to go back to Klikit ,when it's stable.

swoll1980
January 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I switch between Ubuntu and Mandriva I love Ubuntu. If Kubuntu wasn't such a disaster I would stay with it
but I like kde and Mandriva is a really nice KDE distro, but I don't like RPM I need a nice Debian based distro with a kde desktop If only they could find a way to combine Ubuntu and KDE I would be set

markyb86
January 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Ill stay in these forums im just looking for something a bit more stable for right now.. I like to play around with the distros.. This weekend im trying linux mint and zenwalk..

njparton
January 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I switch between Ubuntu and Mandriva I love Ubuntu. If Kubuntu wasn't such a disaster I would stay with it
but I like kde and Mandriva is a really nice KDE distro, but I don't like RPM I need a nice Debian based distro with a kde desktop If only they could find a way to combine Ubuntu and KDE I would be set

I agree re: kubuntu which is why I found opensuse.

Linuxratty
January 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I If Kubuntu wasn't such a disaster I would stay with it

You got that right...I had it,I think two days...However,Chris has taken Kubuntu and turned it into a thing of beauty called Klikit...
I had lots of problems with the beta,so am waiting for the stable version,which should be out this month.
:):mrgreen:
So far,I'm seriously smitten with klikit and Mepis 7 and I also like the Debian based distros the most.
Could you explain what you don't like about KDE and what you think a fusion of it and gnome would be like?
Just curious.

FuturePilot
January 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Not at all. It's all Linux so we're all in it together. :)

jrusso2
January 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I keep a test box with removable drives just to try out new distros then if I like them I run them on one of my mains.

tbranham
January 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM
No way.

I've personally used a lot of different distributions, both at home and at work. Things change. Personally, I'm digging Ubuntu now. I finally got sick and tired of tweaking every little thing like I used to in Gentoo. Now my system just does what I want it to. Seriously, give other distros a try. Grab an old hard drive and dual boot with a difficult distro. Give one of the BSD flavors a try. Experiment -- That's what OSS is all about!

Oh, if you really want to experience Linux, give http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ a try.

Have fun!