PDA

View Full Version : Flash authoring in Linux

ticopelp
January 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking into using Flash for a job, and I'm looking to find the right tool for the job. My two main criteria are:

1) Nothing too sophisticated (I only need to make some animated banners and possibly menus)

2) Preferably will run in wine or crossover so I don't have to dual boot.

I looked into some native Linux applications for making Flash, like KToon, and although it looks decent, it's not really what I need. I don't mind running something in wine, but I'd like something I can learn fairly quickly and which doesn't come with the kitchen sink. Commercial software is OK.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

ticopelp
January 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Bump?

Samhain13
January 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Flash 8 installs and runs fine in Wine-- at least, to my experience.
I don't know if later versions will work though.

ticopelp
January 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Flash 8 installs and runs fine in Wine-- at least, to my experience.
I don't know if later versions will work though.

Good to know -- thank you.

hockey97
January 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
isn't wine Illegal in the U.S ??? just asking I heard that flash8 can only be runned legally on windows and it's illegal to run it on linux??

ticopelp
January 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
isn't wine Illegal in the U.S ??? just asking I heard that flash8 can only be runned legally on windows and it's illegal to run it on linux??

I think there's a whole other thread devoted to that issue, thanks.

Antman
January 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking into using Flash for a job, and I'm looking to find the right tool for the job. My two main criteria are:

1) Nothing too sophisticated (I only need to make some animated banners and possibly menus)

2) Preferably will run in wine or crossover so I don't have to dual boot.

I looked into some native Linux applications for making Flash, like KToon, and although it looks decent, it's not really what I need. I don't mind running something in wine, but I'd like something I can learn fairly quickly and which doesn't come with the kitchen sink. Commercial software is OK.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it runs in Wine or CrossOver Office, but SwishMax is an awesome tool. It's not too big but is pretty darn powerful.
Check here: SwishMax2 (http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=max)

They even have a free trial so you can test it in Wine.