PDA

View Full Version : Why would this thread get moved

Ripfox
January 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=655949

Why did this get moved to "Wine"

No one reads the "Wine" subforum. Or at least it seems that way :)

I posted it in "Gaming and Leisure" because, it simply has to do with "Gaming and Leisure".

This thread moving, with all due respect, is getting kind of nit-picky.

It is my humble opinion that there are too many sub-forums anyway, making it harder and harder to be heard.

Not to start a riot or anything, just my opinion.

LaRoza
January 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
That is a Wine issue, makes sense to me. This is a very large forum, as you noted, and I think the admins to a pretty good job of keeping it tidy.

I tend to hover around only 4 support forums, and I am sure the others that lack me have dedicated posters and readers also.

You have a better chance of getting responses for your post in the Wine section because anyone who runs WoW on Linux is likely to use Wine (or at least beer)

forrestcupp
January 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
If it's what you linked to above, then I totally agree.

All it is is a poll about how many FPS people get in World of Warcraft. You're right. Why should that be moved to Wine?

Weird things happen here sometimes. I made a thread in the gaming section about getting Medal of Honor working in Wine, and it rightfully got moved to the Wine subforum. But they merged it with a thread that was all about Lord of the Rings; it had nothing to do with Medal of Honor.

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
Exactly. All it was was a poll about fps, not a question about how to get it to work in wine. That seems as general as you can get. And I can count LOTS of posts in "Gaming and Leisure" that are about games that must be run via wine that did not get moved to a wine subforum. If this is the case I would like to see how many games survive in the "Gaming and Leisure" forum that are native. Lets face it, gaming in Ubuntu quite often employs the use of wine. Yes there are a ton of native games, I know, but how many full blown put together mmorpgs or action/adventure games are there that have a story line and not just some shoot and run fps against some bots....

DoktorSeven
January 3rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Because it's a thread about the performance of a game running under Wine, not a native game, thus it belongs under the Wine section.

I'm quite happy that the forum guys separated out all the Wine questions and such; it makes it easier to concentrate on questions and comments about native games in the main section and then hop over to the Wine section for that. There were far too many Wine topics in the main games section.

I just wish there was a direct link to it at the top of the gaming & leisure forum (yes, there's a sticky, and there's the forum jump at the bottom, but a direct link would be more convenient).

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 05:53 AM
So, once again so we are clear, "Gaming and Leisure" is for native games only then. Huh, never noticed that...:lolflag:

Heres some current ones...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656628

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656653

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656257

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=57967

Just a few in the first FOUR pages.

DoktorSeven
January 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
And those should be, and probably will be, moved. Lots of threads are started in G&L that are Wine-related despite the sticky, and I'm sure it's a lot of work trying to get them all moved to where they should go.

And specifically, Gaming & Leisure, as I understand it, should be for Linux native games and games in general that do not have anything to do with running Windows games via Wine or any of its derivatives.

metalpancake
January 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
So, once again so we are clear, "Gaming and Leisure" is for native games only then. Huh, never noticed that...

...oops! I'm not doing too good then.....:-s

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
And those should be, and probably will be, moved. Lots of threads are started in G&L that are Wine-related despite the sticky, and I'm sure it's a lot of work trying to get them all moved to where they should go.

And specifically, Gaming & Leisure, as I understand it, should be for Linux native games and games in general that do not have anything to do with running Windows games via Wine or any of its derivatives.

Makes sense, as no Windows forum would expect their "Gaming" section to apply to Linux games.

ssam
January 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM

No one reads the "Wine" subforum. Or at least it seems that way :)

no one will ever read the wine subforum if all the wine posts are elsewhere :-)

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM

No one reads the "Wine" subforum. Or at least it seems that way :smile:

Because every one that post there are a bunch of winers... Just kidding no offense i use wine to from time to time:)

popch
January 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Because every one that post there are a bunch of winers... Just kidding no offense i use wine to from time to time:)

.. and South African wines are often delicious and from time to time affordable.

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
.. and South African wines are often delicious and from time to time affordable.

We Have this wonderful wine in SA called a Pap Sak... It's the cheapest wine there is and it puts you flat down on your back buy the fourth glass. it ROCKS!!! It's about 20.00 Rand maybe about US$2.50

K.Mandla
January 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
I can't speak to every thread that's mentioned here, but I'll try to explain what I can. I usually don't manage the Games and Leisure section or the Wine area much, but I might have some insight to offer. I'm not an administrator so if you need more specific answers, you should ask someone with authority. :D

In general threads get moved so they can be found later. Support questions in particular get bounced around because it wouldn't do any good to have a networking question in the Testimonials area. But if it helps resolve a problem, it might be useful in the future, so it gets reorganized. Same idea with Wine issues.

Because it's a thread about the performance of a game running under Wine, not a native game, thus it belongs under the Wine section.

That's the basic rationale (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=624170). If it requires Wine to run, it becomes a Wine question. If it's native, it can stand in Games and Leisure. There are probably a few that ride the fence, to use an American expression.

I made a thread in the gaming section about getting Medal of Honor working in Wine, and it rightfully got moved to the Wine subforum. But they merged it with a thread that was all about Lord of the Rings; it had nothing to do with Medal of Honor.
It might be that your thread was moved before the Wine subforum was made; you'll have to check the date of your post. Before the Wine subforum there was the possibility that a lot of Wine-related game questions got lumped together.

If that's not the case, contact a staff member and we'll see if the thread can be split off again. It's a huge effort to do that, but if the merge was done in error, we'll do what we can to correct it. We pride ourselves on customer service. :p

Like some other people mentioned, this is a very large forum, and it's generally managed by less than 50 volunteers on a scattered time schedule. That's not necessarily an excuse, but it does amaze me sometimes that it works as well as it does.

Heres some current ones...
Thanks, I'll get started on those. :)

We Have this wonderful wine in SA called a Pap Sak... It's the cheapest wine there is and it puts you flat down on your back buy the fourth glass. it ROCKS!!! It's about 20.00 Rand maybe about US$2.50
This is so far off topic. ... [-X But personally I prefer Simonsig pinotages. ;)

Now for the ironic part -- moving this thread to the Resolution Center. :lolflag:

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I guess I just get to be made an example of on this one. Doesn't bother me that much, except for the simple fact that now my poll will be a dead one :)

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I guess I just get to be made an example of on this one. Doesn't bother me that much, except for the simple fact that now my poll will be a dead one :)

But on another note, I can see why due to future searches the attempt at organization of this manner.

Artificial Intelligence
January 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
I use alot of time to move wine related threads to Wine. Though I won't page through months or years to find them, so if they pop up I move them.

It was the alternative to the mega-threads especially regarding WoW as too many threads was made daily, which was (I dare say it) tedious. But people complained about mega-threads, so a wine forum was made (and they still complain :lolflag: )

Nevertheless, we have a wine forum and we still have a search button, so I hope the WoW people can search/get the help they want.