PDA

View Full Version : Are Linux users spoiled?

el mariachi
January 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
We all heard people complain about the lack for multimedia (proprietary formats) in Linux, hardware accelerated graphics and so on. Maybe even ourselves think or thought this is a huge hole in Linux distros.

Think about all this stuff, and now install Windows Xp (never tried Vista..). What do you see? Super lagging window scrolling, horrible as you can get fonts and, in my computer, no internet access (No drivers for my ethernet card), no sound, and so on.

So, my question is, aren't we spoiled by all the goodness that Linux gives us, the user?

kamaboko
January 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
In the defense of Windows, I've never had the problems you speak of with Vista on several machines I've worked with that have Vista installed.

Ozor Mox
January 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yes, Windows XP supports less hardware out of the box than many modern Linux distros like Ubuntu. I was shocked to see that when I formatted a computer for a friend and reinstalled XP, it couldn't even detect his ethernet card for wired internet. However, the issue is not what's supported out of the box, it's that all hardware has drivers available for Windows, but the number that support Linux is considerably less.Out of the box support therefore becomes much more important, because if it doesn't work, chances are you will have to wait until the next release of your distribution and try again.

Nekiruhs
January 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
So I'm not the only one who had that issue? Thats the problem that made me go fully Ubuntu. I trashed my XP install wile trying to dual boot Ubuntu on NTLDR and destroyed my XP partition, including the recovery partition. I reinstalled XP and Voila, failure:

No sound (Drivers)
Bad resolution
Laggy window movement (Drivers)
No wired ethernet (Drivers)
Unusable controls on windows

So I installed Ubuntu full time.

dasunst3r
January 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think so -- I still think that there is a huge stack of cards stacked up against the open-source community, but they have been most impressive in their efforts to overcome these obstacles. As marketshare grows, it is only fair that support grows accordingly.

popch
January 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Some Linux users are indeed so spoiled. As are some Windows users.

oldb0y
January 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
We are not spoiled, we are just enjoying the benefits of open-source:)

el mariachi
January 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Some people just want more and more of those (benefits).
Well, that's actually what's good about open-source: if people want it, they can either make it, improve it or convince that friend that happens to be a programmer to create it.

There are some people that just want more 'tiny' benefits, benefits that they put as an 'excuse' to not use Linux, forgetting that their expensive proprietary OS doesn't do it either (out-of-the-box)

toupeiro
January 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't consider linux users spoiled as much as I do consider windows users neglected these niceities.

Having a well functioning computer should not be enough grounds to be called spoiled in this regard.

mmb1
January 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm spoiled by Linux and loving every minute of it. :)

FuturePilot
January 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Spoiled by apt-get? Yes, very. :lolflag:

herbster
January 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Things in linux definitely are incredible when you learn your way around the ropes. Every time I use XP or Vista at a friend/family member's place, I feel so claustrophobic, so limited. It's like a Skyline GT-R made street legal-- linux is taking the wrench and unlocking the beast's potential.

el mariachi
January 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I feel that too herbster--- it seems everything is clumsy and untidy.
And yeah, package managers are the biggest spoilers.
I get frustrated when I want to copy and paste something by simply selecting and middle-clicking, but nothing happens ...

dimbulb1024
January 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
+1

Omnios
January 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Spoiled hell ya.

They get an education in computers that money can not buy.

Lster
January 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Yes and no. I would still maintain that Windows has some benefits going for it like compatibility (although not such a problem now), easier installation (not generally, but it can be quite tricky on Linux I have found, but it is never too hard on Windows), occaisonally nicer graphics etc...

Compared to the benefits of Linux (both vast and significant!)... ;)

oldb0y
January 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
The only thing we are not spoiled about, is games:(
But one never know what the future might bring:)

Linuxratty
January 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM

As am I..I think the download manager really upps the spoiling ante It's so nice to have such a tool at your fingertips ready to do your bidding at any moment.
:)

deepwave
January 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Spoiled? Absolutely.

No registry to battle with. No known viruses. No UAC. No hunting down popular programs. Most things open sourced so you can tinker with them. Free education in operating system design. Supportive community and developer base.

Linux users are sure spoiled. And its only going to get worse, with more people migrated away from Vista. And with ultra-low-priced laptops and desktops much worse.

As for games... give it a little bit more time... the PC gaming industry has to rediscover itself and discover Linux. Maybe we should send complimentary Ubuntu CDs to a few popular game studios?

mysticrider92
January 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I was asking the same question yesterday after spending hours trying to get Civ IV working right on Windows. Apparantly, a registry entry for Cryptographic Services was messed up, so I had to remove it. Once the entry was removed, direct x could be updated and the game worked.

On Linux, there is no registry to corrupt (or mess up), no Cryptographic Services to make sure the updates are from MS, and the problem would be easy to track down and find an answer to (this caused some four error boxes, but only one actually mattered...). I guess I am spoiled by Linux just working, and being more user friendly...

r4ik
January 2nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
In a way yes ):P

smartboyathome
January 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Yet my mom and sis think Linux sucks. My sis because she can't play her games on it (no Shockwave or games = hate for her). My mom thinks that every e-mail client sucks (she recently started using opera, and so far she likes it, but there has been an issue with email being deleted by Mcaffee on Vista, and it is deleted for good).

Ozor Mox
January 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Spoiled? Absolutely.

No registry to battle with. No known viruses. No UAC. No hunting down popular programs. Most things open sourced so you can tinker with them. Free education in operating system design. Supportive community and developer base.

Linux users are sure spoiled. And its only going to get worse, with more people migrated away from Vista. And with ultra-low-priced laptops and desktops much worse.

As for games... give it a little bit more time... the PC gaming industry has to rediscover itself and discover Linux. Maybe we should send complimentary Ubuntu CDs to a few popular game studios?

I really enjoyed reading this post... So positive and very true!

:popcorn:

tbroderick
January 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
In the defense of Windows, I've never had the problems you speak of with Vista on several machines I've worked with that have Vista installed.

Same here. XP has horrible generic driver support, no sound, ethernet, wireless, or display driver. Vista, on the other hand, has generic drivers for all those. At least on my machine.

jeffus_il
January 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Most windows service places will format the harddisk and reinstall if the registry gets messed up. With a linux installation you never have to do that. At worst if you screw up your kernel you can boot from a live cd and edit with a text editor, any setting. Very simple and very powerful.

el mariachi
January 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I heard from close friends some horrid Vista stories... because of all the drm stuff.. bless open source :D man I'm such a spoiled boy hehe

Ozor Mox
January 3rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
My worst and only experience with Vista was trying to set up a share between it and an XP machine. I found the networking GUI to be absolutely horrific. I was going around in circles, didn't understand what was going on, getting "diagnoses" that took several seconds and just displayed the same help screen every time that didn't help me at all. Sometimes it wouldn't find the computer, then I'd refresh and it would. I can't speak for the rest of the operating system as I haven't used it extensively, but I know that I find the XP networking interface much more manageable.

MickS
January 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
I liked XP, thought it was great even compared to Win98, put me off trying my Dapper CD for several months then one day I did try Dapper and wow I felt like I had come home, been on Ubuntu ever since, sure it's got a few hassles but I can live with them, you only have to go to other forums where the majority use windows and see see the posts asking for help with anti virus, spyware etc and systems slowing up because they haven't defragged and so on, that's when you are glad you are here and spoiled.

Mick

msp007_us
January 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I hope so!!!

I have used Linux for 10 years and it has come a long way. 10 years ago we had to hack code until it did what we wanted. Now, it is fairly easy to find a distro that does what you want from the start. If you look at it this way we (Linux Users) are spoiled.

:biggrin::)