PDA

View Full Version : Apple][e running Linux

Tundro Walker
January 2nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
I've been looking at some old computers on craigslist, thinking of buying a bunch of old P1 / P2 to make a small farm to just grind through stuff like folding@home projects. Then I started wondering how old something has to be for it to no longer get supported by...well, by anything. I mean, the Linux kernal can get reconfigged to support whatever, and each distro can choose how old or current the hardware has to be that's supported. But, is there a point at which certain hardware is no longer supported at all? I mean, it's not like you can go to the local auto parts store to pick up some parts of a Ford Model T. Eventually, technology moves on.

So, this got me thinking...I wonder if anyone's running Linux on something really old, like an Apple ][e. Sure enough... (http://www.dataswamp.net/apple2eserialterm/)

sumguy231
January 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Using it as a dumb terminal, that's cheating, it doesn't count. :)
And at the same time, if I can find the right serial cable I will do exactly that with my Apple //c.

el_ricardo
January 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
yeah there's an old apple in our studios at uni that i want to do exactly that with lol

it would be possible to do no doubt, i too would be interested as to who's rocking linux on the oldest hardware

the oldest thing i've had linux running on is a 10 year old IBM, but i'm sure loads of people have outdone me there lol

sumguy231
January 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
The thing about old hardware is that traditionally the system needs a MMU for it to be able to run Linux, so that's a major limitation for lots of older hardware.
There is a project called uClinux for embedded systems without MMUs though:
http://www.uclinux.org/

D-EJ915
January 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
f@h won't run on my 550MHz P-III, it kicks out when I try a work unit.

I took all the boards (the motherboard and like 3 expansion boards) out of mine and hit them into oblivion with my baseball bat a few years ago, the damn thing pissed me off. I hate those things but I might pick another one up (that works) for the hell of it some time. I also destroyed 2 5 1/4" drives for them...although I am pretty sure I still have the guts but I remember the cables being broken. Still got 1 working one or at least the cable is intact.

K.Mandla
January 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Anybody logged on to the chat channel and seen their own text on the Webcam? I think that's what I get out of the last paragraphs on that page.

Heh. Apple ][s are cool.