PDA

View Full Version : Linux / Ubuntu just needs two things

ade234uk
January 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Dreamweaver and Photoshop, Flash to work properly so that Windows can be ditched.

hessiess
January 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Dreamweaver-> gedit

photoshop->GIMP

Lord DarkPat
January 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
HHMMM... They DO work properly with Wine!

insane_alien
January 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
gimp is actually a really good replacement for photoshop. sure, the interface is quite different but once you get the hang of it it is pretty easy.

never used dreamweaver for anything so i can't comment on replacements for that.

Sockerdrickan
January 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Who uses Dreamweaver? It sucks more than turn-based games :lolflag:

mridkash
January 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Linux / Ubuntu just needs two things

Its not Ubuntu who needs these things!

Go tell this to Adobe, not Ubuntu.:guitar:

fatality_uk
January 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
WINE works well. Or you could install GimpShop :D I have used both and the latest incarnation of GimpShop is spot on. Komposer is also a decent replacement. However, DreamWeaver is leagues ahead in this area so WINE I would suggest

K.Mandla
January 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Dreamweaver and Photoshop, Flash to work properly so that Windows can be ditched.
Isn't that three things?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQI0Xm29To

happysmileman
January 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
Well Flash works fine for me, so if it isn't working for you then you should probably ask for help for it in the help part of the forums.

I'm not sure about Dreamweaver, I've never felt the need to use a WYSIWYG editor, personally I'd just use a good text editor, thought there's always KompoZer if you really need one, and a few others.

For photoshop you could most likely use GIMP for whatever you're doing, but if you really do need Photoshop for what you're doing, I've heard it runs pretty well in Wine, so maybe ask about it in the Wine subforum here (I haven't used it myself)

snakeeyes
January 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Linux already has flash, there is Gimpshop, and gedit like some other poster said. I think the 2 things Linux needs is better power management and better hardware support. Thats it.

spamzilla
January 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Macromedia Studio 8 (dreamweaver 8, etc) all works fine in Hardy using the latest Wine release.

bobbocanfly
January 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
Why do people use WYSIWYG editors anyway? Pages never look the same in the editors as they do in the browsers and clicking save + reloading the browser isnt exactly difficult. Gedit FTW.

Centx
January 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I really hope GIMP 3 (with gegl and friends) will become a PS-killer, especially with all those usability(should that have been easability?) changes. For dreamweaver, well, I know there exist WYSIWYG web-editors for linux, but the power is in the code =X

Personally, I think linux (and all free systems, like FreeBSD) just needs ZFS, better Graphics drivers (Nouveau and RadeonHD) and a sane soundsystem (PulseAudio anyone) so that the community can gather effort instead of wasting som much energy on dupes =/

And of course a Pwning 3D game to beat all the others games that ever existed =D

spamzilla
January 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Why do people use WYSIWYG editors anyway? Pages never look the same in the editors as they do in the browsers and clicking save + reloading the browser isnt exactly difficult. Gedit FTW.

Because I have no idea what the code means, but with DW, I can and have made 1 decent site and maintain another with ease.

quinnten83
January 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
gimp is actually a really good replacement for photoshop. sure, the interface is quite different but once you get the hang of it it is pretty easy.

never used dreamweaver for anything so i can't comment on replacements for that.

GIMPshop seems to be GIMP with a photoshop interface.
I haven't tried it myself. This might be a suggestion.

r4ik
January 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Here is a link to Gimpshop,

http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

Good luck !

Tundro Walker
January 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM

Why do people drive cars? I mean, they have two feet...they should just walk every where?

Why do some folks take their car to a mechanic? I mean, they should pick up a book and learn how to rebuild the engine themselves?

Why do some folks do their holiday shopping online? They should get off their butts and suffer through the hours of crowds and frustration like everyone?

Why are some folks out-of-shape? I mean, it's just a matter of going to the gym and working out and eating right? Why can't they do that?

This debate point comes up time and time again. And the reason is, maybe some folks are lazy, or don't have time, or just "don't get it" no matter how hard they try, or maybe they do try but it just doesn't seem to work for them. As a techno/code savvy person, you choose to do things code-level. But not everyone wants to. You can either choose to be elitist about it, and sit on your pedestal mocking people who can't do what you can do, or you can choose to use your skills to create ladders and bridges to help others do things they normally could not. One path is quite negative, and ensures that we will always be a niche society of little interest, perhaps even despised by others. The other path ensures more folks will join us and increases our popularity.

Plus, we need non-technical folks. They sometimes see things differently than us, providing much-needed insight, and also a litmus test to ensure we keep things as simple as possible while still being usable. After all, you may have the greatest program in the world, but if it requires walking on your hands in knees through a mile of broken glass, I doubt most folks will learn to use it.

keeper of the wheel
January 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Until GIMP has CMYK capabilities, Photoshop is my preferred application.
I am working with Komposer having ditched Dreamweaver MX after working with it for years.

icechen1
January 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Linux can run Dreamweaver with wine perfectly,Photoshop -> gimp

bruce89
January 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM

That's why I like LaTeX.

Maybe I'm a control freak, but if I was, I wouldn't like GNOME.

blithen
January 2nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
Who uses Dreamweaver? It sucks more than turn-based games :lolflag:
LOL.
But really, dreamweaver is HORRIBLE.

klange
January 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Personally, I have a thorough hatred of anyone who uses any WYSI(even remotely close to)WYG interface for web development: Dreamweaver, FrontPage (yes, people still use that... it's not even WYSIWYG, it's WYSIWTF and people still use it), etc. Hate them. They're too lazy to learn a simple code structure.

Also, Photoshop works fine. I run 7.0, but CS3 works through Wine flawlessly (or so I've heard, there may be bugs), CS2 as well. As does ImageReady (where applicable)

Gedit FTW.
nano TBQH. (No, I'm kidding)

kamaboko
January 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM

That depends on who you ask. There are plenty of home and business users that run specialized software just for Windows that won't run under Wine or other emulators.

pjkoczan
January 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
That depends on who you ask. There are plenty of home and business users that run specialized software just for Windows that won't run under Wine or other emulators.

Very true, too often with these kinds of threads the author projects their needs and biases to everyone. The "average user" and "everyone" tend to be thinly-veiled code words for "me". It also tends to be unclear or unspecified why Linux "needs" these things. Is it to gain market share, or displace Windows, or to leave users with a warm fuzzy feeling and a minty taste in their mouths?

Personally, I have little use for Adobe software, so that's irrelevant to me. I think that Linux needs better hardware support (read: more vendors need to start playing nice with OSS) and to cooperate more with other OSS projects (there's been quite a bit of drama between the kernel developers and the BSD-licensed OpenAFS, for instance).

acabre
January 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
For a Dreamweaver replacement, google Aptana. As far as WYSIWYG editors go, its the closest thing to Dreamweaver I've seen. Not in the repos, though.

Darkhack
January 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
LOL.
But really, dreamweaver is HORRIBLE.

Dreamweaver is the best that I know of. I prefer hand coding, but Dreamweaver is still good. Apparently you've never used Frontpage or GoLive. Those two are the abominations from hell.

r.hall
January 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Photoshop installs fine on WINE. Flash should work for you, if not, ask for some help. Not sure what Dreamweaver is.

k99goran
January 9th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Gimpshop goes some lengths in helping Photoshop users to use GIMP, though it doesn't solve the main user interface problems. Apparently GIMP 2.6 will allow the user to dock tools in the main image window and thus reduce the number of task bar instances to one.

Let's hope GIMP's new 6 months release cycle syncs up with Ubuntu in such a way that we get a new version for each release of our favorite distribution. :)