PDA

View Full Version : Turntables, musical instruments?

kodak
December 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM
This is a topic that was brought up on another forum with only a few replies and with no poll option.

:) It was a person who argued that turntables were musical instruments but he did not know what key he was playing in and did not know what a minor chord was.

Classical Guitar, Piano or any musical instrument is generally accompanied by theory and at least basic understanding of musical notation.

I had to vote no because calling turntables musical instruments just does not sound right, i am happy with calling them music player as that is what they do, play prearranged and prerecorded music.

Ozor Mox
December 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Um... no, they aren't. Why would anyone think that?

perlluver
December 31st, 2007, 06:42 PM
They are just a music player. Like a CD Player or Cassette Tape Player. But not a Musical Instrument.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe he's considering the fact that you can do that disk scratching stuff?

kodak
December 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM

Yes i have thought about that before hand as i use to have turntables and spend much time on them, the DMC crew who specialse in scratching, cutting missing and stepping can produce some amazing results

perlluver
December 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM

But even then, it still just plays Records. I know it is good for DJing, but still just a Music player none the less.

tbroderick
December 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM
play prearranged and prerecorded music.

They play prearranged and prerecorded music to create new sounds and compositions. Or course a turntable is a musical instrument. And there is notation for it.

jeffus_il
December 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM
If a washboard, a tea chest bass, and a kazoo are musical instruments then I suppose just about anything is, so is my cat if I stand on him.

gn2
December 31st, 2007, 07:16 PM
If a washboard, a tea chest bass, and a kazoo are musical instruments then I suppose just about anything is, so is my cat if I stand on him.

A washboard is a percussion instrument.

And I'm having a strange sense of deja vu, because as a kid I played washboard in a band which also had a tea chest bass and a kazoo section.
The band was called The Flintstone Burpers, the music was awful but we had a great laugh on stage.

Is a percussion instrument a musical instrument? I don't think it is.

Methuselah
December 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Some electronic synthesizers can play a backing track while you improvise over it. I suppose a turntable could be considered in the same light since the user can manipulate the sound and it probably takes some skill/rhythm to produce somethitng sensible.

I never really thought of it but maybe it could be considered an instrument.

tbroderick
December 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Is a percussion instrument a musical instrument?

YES

popch
December 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Is a percussion instrument a musical instrument? I don't think it is.

A musical instrument is a thing needed for the performance of music. Fancy a brass band (amongst others) without any percussion.

Percussion instruments definitely are musical instrument even if the noise they produce is not in each case 'music'.

LaRoza
December 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
I was just watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights and the poll prompts this question:

"Which one means yes?"

I didn't vote yes, though.

pastormick
December 31st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Turntable... Musical instrument... Riiiiight...

staticvoid
December 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM

Ha! I want to make that my sig... lol