PDA

View Full Version : If all developers worked on one distro

mick222
December 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
what do you think would happen if all the linux developers worked on the same distro. Would it instantly take over the world or end in chaos.

SomeGuyDude
December 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Chaos. It'd never work. At the VERY least it'd have to have a different fork for every desktop environment. I'd want a GNOME distro, but lord knows not everyone would.

Plus think about why people like, say, Gentoo or Arch versus Mandriva or Ubuntu. There'd be no way to make everyone happy.

daou
December 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM
what do you think would happen if all the linux developers worked on the same distro. Would it instantly take over the world or end in chaos.

In one night it would fork into 100 distros ;)

zachtib
December 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
chaos, most likely, there'd be too much disagreement

SomeGuyDude
December 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Remember the great part of Linux is its variance. If for whatever reason you dislike one distro, it's a near certainty that there's another one that'll work better for you. Any attempt to smash it all into one would be doomed from the start.

It's not that there's a "best" distro any more than there's a "best" color or a "best" flavor of ice cream. The great part of it is that there's a best for everyone.

mick222
December 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I agree it would end in chaos and dissagreement but if everyone worked to the same end it would be ten times better than anything microsoft could manage.

ezphilosophy
December 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
too many cooks in the kitchen

jeffus_il
December 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
In a way all Linux Developers contribute to all distros because of Open Source, Gnome is Gnome, Kde is Kde and Firefox is Firefox etc ... my desktop looked the same in my last distro, gnome firefox ...
It's mainly packaging, Nice, yes, crucial, No.

Linuxratty
December 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM
too many cooks in the kitchen

And they would eventually rip each other to shreds..

LaRoza
December 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM
That distro would never get done.

Read "Getting Things Done" (GTD) by David Allen.

Darth Trix
December 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I wil be one of the sings of the apocalipsis

fwojciec
December 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I agree it would end in chaos and dissagreement but if everyone worked to the same end it would be ten times better than anything microsoft could manage.

No, this would pretty much turn Linux into Microsoft-bis, with all the implications... The fact that OSS is a competitive and non-centralized environment where everyone can pursue what they happen to think worthwhile and where the best ideas win because of their merit not because they are the only ideas is the greatest strength of the open source software movement -- why would you want to eliminate this?

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
December 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Well, that distro would likely be windows xp, so I'm leaning towards both "take over the world" and "end in chaos".

jrusso2
December 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
When I started using Linux there was only a handful of distros and they were all very different even then.

I guess it would be more like FreeBSD if they all worked on one.

SomeGuyDude
December 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM

I both agree and heavily disagree.

On one hand, thanks to the ethos of Linux and the general way each distro is run guarantees that if FORCED to make a single project it would end up the best it could possibly be and better than Windows, etc.

However, it would never come to that. They'd never be able to settle on a single set of features. They'd never be able to decide how much GUI to use versus CLI, what DE, what software set, how to deal with codecs, the list goes on.

Midwest-Linux
December 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
It would be like this

Linux2009
Linux2009 Lite
Linux 2009 PowerPC
Linux 2009 Educational
Linux 2009 Gnome
Linux 2009 KDE
Linux 2009 Religious Edition
Linux 2009 with DRM (just kidding ..lol)
Linux 2009 Mint
Linux 2009 USB Edition
Linux 2009 Sun Sparc Edition

Plus another 50 editions to be released

gletob
December 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I both agree and heavily disagree.

On one hand, thanks to the ethos of Linux and the general way each distro is run guarantees that if FORCED to make a single project it would end up the best it could possibly be and better than Windows, etc.

However, it would never come to that. They'd never be able to settle on a single set of features. They'd never be able to decide how much GUI to use versus CLI, what DE, what software set, how to deal with codecs, the list goes on.'

Thank You

adam.tropics
December 29th, 2007, 11:10 PM
If anything, I would prefer to leave development and distros as they are, but find a centralised and solid way to 'sell' (so to speak) Linux to the masses. A unified effort at that could be a great thing.

allforcarrie
December 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
it would be on 6 dvds with 5 window managers and 100 themes.

Lostincyberspace
December 30th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I think that the different distributions should work together more and collaborate on projects so there is more similarity between them. Open SUSE is very different from Ubuntu but they are both Linux and that might mess some people up who are trying to switch..

macogw
December 30th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Progress would cease due to in-fighting.

EdThaSlayer
December 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I bet that fights would break out, and spill out into the real world.

jflaker
December 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM
From what I understand about how Linux is "constructed". there is no one piece that is ONLY part of one distro.....

Kernel, KDE, etc...........

It works well as is because there is no centralization of fit and finish......each piece of the puzzle is built, tested and released for use in a package format or on its own..........

As some said......if consolidated, it would eventually fork into what we already have.....a few hundred different flavors and function.

Keep in mind....most distros are function based......some are firewalls, some are routers.....desktops, servers.......Some are embedded into your new kitchen appliance..........

If something works, it shouldn't be messed with.

fuscia
December 30th, 2007, 07:11 AM
they'd set a world record for infighting.

saulgoode
December 30th, 2007, 07:32 AM
It wouldn't be a distro which you'd want to use.