PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldin't I Get An iPhone

tdrusk
December 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I really like them but I'm sure there are better things out there. Any suggestions?

Mateo
December 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I say you should. They are singularly the coolest device I've ever owned.

hhhhhx
December 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I read this thtead on my iphone, i like the iPhone, but if u want an alternative i'd try the google phone

ticopelp
December 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
If you want one, and can afford it, get one.

I've never understood the need for other people's approval when it comes to electronic gadgets. It's a piece of plastic, for crying out loud. Who cares about who else has one, or what the marketing is like?

Personally, I don't like the price point of the iPhone, and AT&T sucks in my area, so it's not for me, but if I had the bankroll and better coverage, I'd seriously look at one. They're pretty cool.

Of course, I don't use half the features on the phone I do have, so I'm probably not a good benchmark for what constitutes a smart phone purchase. :KS

fatality_uk
December 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
If cools is what you want, an iPhone is your best bet.
If you want a phone that has a LOT more features for you to use and is a LOT less expensive than the iPhone LG Viewty
Notice EDGE & 3G :D:D:D

LG KU990 Viewty Specificaties

* Netwerk: EDGE, GPRS, GSM, HSDPA (3G)
* Netwerk frequentie: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
* Bluetooth: v1.2 met A2DP
* USB: 2.0
* Display: Color TFT touchscreen
* Kleuren: 262.144 kleuren
* Resolutie: 240x400 pixels
* Intern geheugen: 120MB
* Uitbreidbaar geheugen: 2GB
* Opslagmedium: MicroSD
* Batterij: Lithium Ion 1050 mAh
* Stand-by tijd: 340 uur
* Gesprekstijd: 3 uur
* Megapixels: 5 megapixels
* Maximale fotoresolutie: 2592x1944 pixels
* Digitale zoom: 16x
* Autofocus: Ja
* Flitser: Ja
* Video opnemen: Ja
* Tweede (front) camera: Ja
* Gewicht: 112 gram
* Afmetingen: 103,5 x 54,4 x 14,8 mm.

tdrusk
December 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
If you want a phone that has a LOT more features for you to use and is a LOT less expensive than the iPhone LG Viewty

what plan does that use? It's sick.

gn2
December 29th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I really like them but I'm sure there are better things out there. Any suggestions?

Get an Asus Eee with a 3G modem.

Nekiruhs
December 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM
OpenMoko FTW. I will buy one of these as soon as my current phone expires (read: dies). Its an opensource alternative to the iPhone.
openmoko.com

Dark Hornet
December 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM
IMHO, the iPhone is a cool device--however I cannot stand the network its on (AT&T). The iPhone has a ton of potential, so hopefully it will be opened up to other networks soon. Although I think they have an exclusive 5 year deal with AT&T). I am looking forward to what google has to offer.

Mateo
December 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM
OpenMoko FTW. I will buy one of these as soon as my current phone expires (read: dies). Its an opensource alternative to the iPhone.
openmoko.com

i wouldn't hold your breath on that thing getting released.

boast
December 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
openmoko.com

I don't remember it having an 8gb/16gb version? :confused:

kevdog
December 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Good luck if you ever need to change the battery on that iphone. Have to mail the thing in and wait for a while. What idiot (or maybe genius depending on how you look at it) designed the case that prevented the battery from being replaced.

ARhere
December 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I like the iPhone but could not afford one and I wanted something that was not so application locked.

So I got a Blackjack II (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=mobilephones&type=mobilephones&subtype=att&model_cd=SGH-I617ZKAATT). So far I love it. Windows anything is frustrating as hell, but at least I can remove Media Player and load something else, like Core Player for example. I think you are completly stuck with what Apple gives you.

If you want to know more, ask me.
-AR

Dimitriid
December 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
First, you shouldn't get anything just because you can afford it.

Second its a trend. What are the actual features of that thing? For once you can't remove the battery, which will more likely burn out on you pretty quickly, making you have tons of charge cycles making it useless after maybe 1.5 years.

Then as good as a touch screen its, is just a pain to make simple things like phone calls with it. Go figure why would you want to make phone calls on a thing called the iphone? It needs either a better interface or a keypad.

Honestly none of the features are particularly great, a Nokia N95 does everything an iPhone does only better, on many other networks ( can be bought unblocked ) and without any of those stupid mistakes like build in battery. I also forgot to mention its probably cheaper than an iPhone anyway and comes with integrated wifi and a full OS you can actually get apps for ( symbian ) so you can do things the iPhone can't even do like ssh to your home pc over wifi.

Dark Hornet
December 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Good luck if you ever need to change the battery on that iphone. Have to mail the thing in and wait for a while. What idiot (or maybe genius depending on how you look at it) designed the case that prevented the battery from being replaced.

Good call--but what did you expect...since when have you been able to change the battery (without hacking the device) on an iPod?!

Mateo
December 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
First, you shouldn't get anything just because you can afford it.

Second its a trend. What are the actual features of that thing? For once you can't remove the battery, which will more likely burn out on you pretty quickly, making you have tons of charge cycles making it useless after maybe 1.5 years.

Then as good as a touch screen its, is just a pain to make simple things like phone calls with it. Go figure why would you want to make phone calls on a thing called the iphone? It needs either a better interface or a keypad.

Honestly none of the features are particularly great, a Nokia N95 does everything an iPhone does only better, on many other networks ( can be bought unblocked ) and without any of those stupid mistakes like build in battery. I also forgot to mention its probably cheaper than an iPhone anyway and comes with integrated wifi and a full OS you can actually get apps for ( symbian ) so you can do things the iPhone can't even do like ssh to your home pc over wifi.

I don't see what's so difficult about making phone calls. I guess you have to go to the Phone app instead of immediately pressing numbers like on a typical phone. I don't see how one extra button press makes something "difficult".

You can use the iPhone on other networks besides AT&T. That's been possible for months now.

The iPhone has wifi, and it has apps that you can get for it, including ssh.

Dark Hornet
December 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
You can use the iPhone on other networks besides AT&T. That's been possible for months now.

The iPhone has wifi, and it has apps that you can get for it, including ssh.

I know you can hack at it to work with other networks--and I may be wrong here, as I have not researched this--but I am under the impression that by doing so would at the very least "gimp" the functionality of the phone, if not worse.

Mateo
December 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I know you can hack at it to work with other networks--and I may be wrong here, as I have not researched this--but I am under the impression that by doing so would at the very least "gimp" the functionality of the phone, if not worse.

i'm not sure what you mean by "gimp". The only component that I'm aware of that doesn't work on non-AT&T networks is the visual voice mail. I personally use the iPhone with T-Mobile. If I'm missing out on functionality then I'm not aware of it!

Dark Hornet
December 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
i'm not sure what you mean by "gimp". The only component that I'm aware of that doesn't work on non-AT&T networks is the visual voice mail. I personally use the iPhone with T-Mobile. If I'm missing out on functionality then I'm not aware of it!

Cool--I must have been under the wrong impression then. :)

DeadSuperHero
December 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM
While the iPhone looks neat, I just don't have the heart to sell my soul to AT&T.
I'm looking forward to the OpenMoko, as well as the Andoid-powered phones.

tuebinger
December 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM
-it's only on the AT&T network
-2-year commitment
- once the novelty wears off, you're stuck with an expensive gadget
-need to send it in to Apple for new battery
-slow data network (not 3g)
-doesn't do mms messages

that's all I can think of...

adam.tropics
December 30th, 2007, 04:38 AM
-it's only on the AT&T network
-2-year commitment
- once the novelty wears off, you're stuck with an expensive gadget
-need to send it in to Apple for new battery
-slow data network (not 3g)
-doesn't do mms messages

that's all I can think of...
1)Depends how precious your warranty is!!
2)Don't take the contract
3)I guess that kinda depends on your usage, don't have one so can't comment.
4)Not true, you can replace it yourself (lol, but apparently involves solder!!!), or there are services available elsewhere at pretty good prices.
5)Fair enough
6)You can send mms via email. example (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleflip) but there are others.

If you want an iPhone, buy an iPhone, although I'd personally be tempted to go with just a basic phone and see how this coming 6-12 months pan out, because the mobile landscape is starting to look really interesting.

ravirdv
December 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM
if you want more features get nokia n95

tdrusk
December 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't have $775 to spare.

I wish openmoko would release a consumer phone.

maagimies
December 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
Maddox lists quite a few reasons (May contain crude language)

hanzomon4
December 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
If the iPhone was powered by linux most people here would praise it. The iphone is super-cool and unless you have specific needs that it just won't fill you should get one. I played with my brothers iPod touch and dude... It's freakin sick!

AndyCooll
December 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM
As already mentioned, the "cool" factor is pretty enticing (for some people).

However if you get past that and actually consider the features then for less money you can find plenty of more fully featured and flexible alternatives (e.g. the Nokia E70)

the same can be said for the iPod. It's an ok product, nothing wrong with it per se, however once again there are plenty of better products out there ...just none with the same "cool" factor.

:cool:

LaRoza
December 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
the same can be said for the iPod. It's an ok product, nothing wrong with it per se, however once again there are plenty of better products out there ...just none with the same "cool" factor.

:cool:

But the better products aren't "i". Now if it were an iNokia, then it would be cool.

boast
December 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Iphone is not that expensive...

8gb Iphone = $400

openmoko $300 + 2x 4gb microSD cards $37 = $374

gn2
December 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
As already mentioned, the "cool" factor is pretty enticing.

But for every one person who thinks you'll be cool with your iphone, there will be a ton of people who will think "look at that dork with his/her silly overpriced and feature poor little toy"

If you want one buy one, but there are better devices available cheaper.
Same goes for all Apple products with one exception, can you guess what it is?

Mateo
December 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
you're not likely to run into many hipsters in the real world who think you're a "dork" for owning an iphone.

The iphone is not flawless though. As an owner I can point out some things that are no so great about it:

1) The camera is only so-so. Like most phones it has the "shaky cam" problem and the image quality is good, but not close to that of a digital camera.

2) The 8GB hard disk might be a little small if you're wanting to use this to hold your entire music collection.

3) Although wifi is much faster than the "edge network", web browsing is still not as fast as on a computer. I'm not sure why either, because streaming videos seems just a fast.

4) No GPS. I think this is going to be fixed in a later version, but it is certainly one major missing piece of the current model.

5) Does not support divx/xvid, which are the most popular video codecs. This means you have to convert your videos to quicktime format. For TV shows and movies encoding can take several hours. On my Palm, I used to quickly convert several tv shows to take on a trip. Maybe 3rd party developers will release divx/xvid codecs though.

Despite a few flaws, i've never regretted for a second getting one. It's still easily the best device I've ever owned. I actually got my iPhone and the Asus EeePC the same week. For about a week or two I regretted getting the EeePC because I wasn't using it much, instead favoring the iPhone. Now I'm glad I got both because they have different primary uses. But it just shows how mind-blowing the iPhone is when you first get it.

ronniet
December 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I recommend the CECT 599 mobile phone from Hong Kong. Kinda hard to find but it's very iPhone-ish.

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/796/cect-599-7.jpg

Average price is about 100 (~$200)

See my blog for a review (http://www.ronnietucker.co.uk) I did of mine and a Google Video of it...

phenest
March 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
There a several drawbacks to the iPhone:

The battery is not easily replaced (it's soldered in)
It doesn't use 3G
It doesn't support text messaging
I can't use my 3 SIM card (after unlocking)

If Apple update the iPhone to use 3G and to use text messaging, I may consider buying one.

n3tfury
March 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM

The battery is not easily replaced (it's soldered in) status quo
It doesn't use 3G jobs has an anti-3g stance it seems
It doesn't support text messaging this i find ludicrous

If Apple update the iPhone to use 3G and to use text messaging, I may consider buying one.

^

fuscia
March 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
the more you spend on a phone, the harder it is to have the good sense to throw it in the ocean.

sylvaticus
October 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM

does it works as usb 3g modem with ubuntu ??

Kernel Sanders
October 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

The battery is not easily replaced (it's soldered in)
It doesn't use 3G
It doesn't support text messaging

1) Agreed
2) The new iPhone 3G's do
3) Um...it has always supported text messaging. What you're thinking of is MMS messaging where you can send images to another phone. The iPhone doesn;t support that. If you want to send images you have to use e-mail.
4) Agreed

The main reason not to get an iPhone is that pound for pound it's inferior to it's cheaper competition. The camera is rubbish for one, and it doesn't even record video without a paid for 3rd party app.

SuperSonic4
October 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
The OP asked this last year, I'm pretty sure he's decided whether or not to get one by now :p

getnripped
October 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
I read this thtead on my iphone, i like the iPhone, but if u want an alternative i'd try the google phone

I like the gPhone (google phone) how does one get this phone? I assuming it is a "T-Mobile" phone.

any way this is way late post. But the iPhone is not bad, now that 3g is there. If you have a 3G area near you get the new one. If you like were they are only providing Edge... stay with 2G. The phones are super nice few people do not like their phones. Personally I do not own one but have many co-workers who do and they all love the phone. I would recommend one.

tdrusk
October 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Haha It's good to see my thread still rockin'.

I didn't buy the iphone, but I did see the new tmobile with google's software. I'm digging that idea.

gn2
October 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I didn't buy the iphone,

Good decision.

harry2006
November 15th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Neo Freerunner!!! BTW i liked your decision of not buying the phone at all...thats better

kernelhaxor
November 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Get a G1 instead! Its open source .. You can unlock it easily .. also, Debian has already been ported to the G1!

Daggo
December 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I own both an iphone 2g 16gb and Freerunner (long story how I ended up with both)
my thoughts:

Rants on Freerunner=
-That damn gsm buzzing (apart from altering sound settings, Openmoko has proposed a hardware fix soon)
-Call echoes (can be helped through sound settings)
-Screen too small (you will need a stylus to work with it normally)

Rants on iphone
-doesnt make me cool (no fixes for this bug)
-You need to pay for apps (What the hell!?...maybe im not used to "not-open source")
-ihate itunes. itunes should be renamed to "isuck"

So in short, I use my iphone as my daily phone because I am playing around with my freerunner too much and I cant receive phone calls while I am flashing/coding it. I like the email and web browser on my iphone better. In terms of a "Phone" and usability, I prefer my iphone, but in terms of awesomeness, I prefer my Freerunner. Whenever I want to show off a cool gadget, I pull out my Freerunner.

Swarms
December 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I own both an iphone 2g 16gb and Freerunner (long story how I ended up with both)
my thoughts:

Rants on Freerunner=
-That damn gsm buzzing (apart from altering sound settings, Openmoko has proposed a hardware fix soon)
-Call echoes (can be helped through sound settings)
-Screen too small (you will need a stylus to work with it normally)

Rants on iphone
-doesnt make me cool (no fixes for this bug)
-You need to pay for apps (What the hell!?...maybe im not used to "not-open source")
-ihate itunes. itunes should be renamed to "isuck"

So in short, I use my iphone as my daily phone because I am playing around with my freerunner too much and I cant receive phone calls while I am flashing/coding it. I like the email and web browser on my iphone better. In terms of a "Phone" and usability, I prefer my iphone, but in terms of awesomeness, I prefer my Freerunner. Whenever I want to show off a cool gadget, I pull out my Freerunner.

You just confirmed my feelings about the Freerunner being more a developers toy, than an actually phone that is a part of a modern lifestyle.

Daggo
December 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
You just confirmed my feelings about the Freerunner being more a developers toy, than an actually phone that is a part of a modern lifestyle.

That pretty much sums it up

jimi_hendrix
December 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
only downside...battery life

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM

The new nokia (I believe it's a N97) is great.

But I'm holding off on buying a smart phone until a decent Android phone comes along.

Sweet Spot
December 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Heavy as a brick S house and uses WinMo, but I LOVE my HTC Tilt. ATT works great for me and have no complaints. I get 3.5 G (HSPA) pretty much everywhere I go (except in some spots of my apt in Queens and its feature set is more than I'd ever need. I only wish it was less cumbersome. The G1 is light as a feather, which I'd like the Tilt to be. But I also love its keyboard, great for texting. And plenty of great free apps can be had for it as well.

Though by cell phone standards, it's probably a bit dated atm.

tdrusk
December 9th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Nice of me to bump my old thread, but my parents offered to buy me an iPhone or something similar. I think I'm going to go with the Palm Centro. Any complaints?
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Palm%C2%AE+Centro+-+Obsidian+Black&q_sku=sku1260003

zmjjmz
December 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would recommend a Treo 650. Apparently you can run Illume on it.

yipperzz
December 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Nice of me to bump my old thread, but my parents offered to buy me an iPhone or something similar. I think I'm going to go with the Palm Centro. Any complaints?
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Palm%C2%AE+Centro+-+Obsidian+Black&q_sku=sku1260003

my only complaint with my phone is that i have to boot into windows to use itunes. other than that, i love it. sorry, second complaint is the fact that it's on at&t's network. but i guess that's a good thing because verizon can't put their sucky UI on the iphone :lolflag:

tdrusk
December 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
After reading this I was sold. http://theappleblog.com/2008/10/07/ibm-extends-iphone-development-to-windowslinux-programmers/

Now I can write programs for my iphone, use 3g, and eventually use iphone Linux.

notwen
December 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
If it does what you want and you can afford that monthly bill, go for it. =]

tdrusk
December 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
If it does what you want and you can afford that monthly bill, go for it. =]
I'm not paying it. :p

tdrusk
December 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Just got one today. It works great.

hanzomon4
December 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Really the iPhone is the best device I've ever spent money on.

Redrazor39
December 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Only if you already have AT&T. Otherwise they will RAPE your wallet (about $600 for the phone, not to mention all the charges that come with the plan). They already do if you're a member of AT&T, but it's not even half as bad (actually worth it if you use the features of the phone every day).

If you don't have AT&T, get a nice smartphone on your network. Blackberry Bold on Sprint (I think they have it), Tmobile G1 on Tmobile, etc.

hanzomon4
December 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
No I only had to pay $360 for the 16gb iphone and plan, I did have to pay a one time fee as a new customer but it was, maybe, $30 dollars.

emshains
December 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
iPhone is the only one I know that uses apt (a jailbroken one uses), unix, openssh and is faster than my old comp.

hanzomon4
December 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
True, I almost forgot it uses apt.

amitabhishek
December 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
openmoko.com

Please do not get one! I repeat, do not get one unless you want to throw it at Bush (no offence here)!

I owned one, it was pathetically slow, buggy,incoherent etc etc.

Johnsie
December 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
There are Windows based phones that have better specs than the IPhone. The Samsung Omnia is a good example of this. The good thing about Windows mobile is that there's already plenty of software available for it as it's compatible with many PDA's. For Developers you can use to Visual Studio to create your own applications pretty easily. Saying that, this is a Linux forum... I've just never knowingly used a high spec Linux smartphone.