PDA

View Full Version : eeePC with 2Gb Ram and Ubuntu for 300

shafin
December 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM
http://understandinglimited.com/2007/12/19/eeepc-deal/

sure looks like a winner

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
You could install ubuntu yourself and buy the memory for cheaper. I'd stick fluxbuntu on it anyway

conehead77
December 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM
You could install ubuntu yourself and buy the memory for cheaper. I'd stick fluxbuntu on it anyway

Hm, the original offer has 512MB RAM and costs 250. Is memory that cheap today or am i missing something?

Also they said there would be propriatary driver for the wireless, so installation by yourself may be not so easy.

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase26.2&prodID=1313810 30. And it already comes with 512MB.

The eeepc costs 220 here, so 220+30 = 250. Installing the drivers shouldn't be a problem.

conehead77
December 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase26.2&prodID=1313810 30. And it already comes with 512MB.

The eeepc costs 220 here, so 220+30 = 250. Installing the drivers shouldn't be a problem.

Hm, that makes me want to buy some ram myself.
The standard edition is 300 here, sounds tempting.

fatality_uk
December 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM
hmm If the eeepc would have come in around the 150 mark, I would of had one straight away. But at 300, I can get a Sony laptop for another 70, decline the OEM license and stick Ubuntu onto the "real" hard drive. I really liked the concept behind the eeepc but the price is justified IMHO.

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
hmm If the eeepc would have come in around the 150 mark, I would of had one straight away. But at 300, I can get a Sony laptop for another 70, decline the OEM license and stick Ubuntu onto the "real" hard drive. I really liked the concept behind the eeepc but the price is justified IMHO.

But not one this small :)

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hm, that makes me want to buy some ram myself.
The standard edition is 300 here, sounds tempting.

I want one soon, just can't afford it now. Maybe Feb/March. Hopefully prices will drop further

fatality_uk
December 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM
But not one this small :)

True. It's odd. A few years ago, the BIGGER the laptop, the more cash you had to spend. Now, reversed :)

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
True. It's odd. A few years ago, the BIGGER the laptop, the more cash you had to spend. Now, reversed :)

Yeah. This eeepc is the same size as a couple of dvd cases. Would be nicer with a bigger screen but to be honest this is perfect for sitting on the couch using the web, sshing and skyping.

shafin
December 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Well,eee is not exactly a laptop,its in a category of its own.

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well,eee is not exactly a laptop,its in a category of its own.

subnotebook, buts its easier to just say laptop. sort of like a pc, easier to say than ibm compatible

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM

i agree completely with you +1 on that

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Where you find eeepc for 150 brand new one?

mips
December 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Where you find eeepc for 150 brand new one?

Nowhere.

hmm If the eeepc would have come in around the 150 mark, I would of had one straight away

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Nowhere.

Thanks for pointing out! 10/10

Crashmaxx
December 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Its always been that the cheapest laptops were what you would call 'normal' sized like 14"-15" and had small slow hardware. The more expensive ones have been progressively bigger and more powerful being called 'desktop replacement' laptops about 17" in size or so with desktop hardware. As they get bigger and more powerful, they would be heavier and hotter and have less runtime making them progressively less portable. So there has always been a class called 'ultraportable' that would be 12" or so in size and have great runtime and be very lightweight. These have never been that popular cause they were often the same price as 'desktop replacement' laptops and yet less powerful then 'normal' ones.

The eeePC is great not just because it runs Linux, but because it is one of the first affordable 'ultraportable' laptops out there. So to compare it to a 'normal' laptop is completely missing the point. Finally we have a device that is truly portable, inexpensive, and can still handle the majority of normal tasks. And that is something really great.