PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compatible mp3 Player for Christmas!

Bungo Pony
December 26th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Hey all, I got me an mp3 for Christmas. The best part, it's Linux compatible!

....well, sort of. :)

First of all, it's a cheapie. A Sylvania SMPK1066. Holds 1G of stuff. It also came with a free humor book (aka the manual). I'll quote from it in a moment.

Anyway, it seems to be working okay with Ubuntu. Well, kinda. It's supposed to work like a USB Flash Drive. But in order to get it to work, I had to boot up the PC with the unit connected. Unfortunately, there's no "eject" option to remove the device, but it should be okay as long as I'm not writing to it when I remove it.

But a cheapie working in Linux is cool. I had cheapie digital cameras that don't work worth nothing.

Anyway, here's a quote from the manual:

"Do not use this player when driving, riding or operating any other vehicles as it may lead to traffic accidents, which is illegal in some regions."

-grubby
December 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM
"Do not use this player when driving, riding or operating any other vehicles as it may lead to traffic accidents, which is illegal in some regions."
:lolflag:

init1
December 26th, 2007, 06:45 AM
:lolflag:
I second that.

t0p
December 26th, 2007, 07:17 AM
But a cheapie working in Linux is cool. I had cheapie digital cameras that don't work worth nothing.

I thought everything worked with Ubuntu!! :confused:

Well okay, maybe not quite everything... But my inexpensive Sony Ericsson cellphone, which is also a mp3 player and a crappy camera, it links with Ubuntu and Just Works, no drivers or support programs required. And my Fujifilm Finepix S5700 digital camera - which was far from expensive yet takes great pix - it also Just Works with Ubuntu.

I know there are still some hardware issues with Linux. But Ubuntu's hardware support is its best yet, and I reckon it's Pretty Damn Good.

Bungo Pony
December 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM
After the cheapie digital cameras which needed goofy software to connect, I honestly wasn't expecting the player to work with Linux, but I was surprised! :)