PDA

View Full Version : What brought you to ubuntu?

Pages : [1] 2

BenTyrer
December 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hey all,

I'm a semi-newcomer to Ubuntu, and newcomer to the forums, and I want to get to know the community a bit better here :)

So, whats your story? How did it come to pass that you turned to Ubuntu? are you dual-booting? Share your tales!

In my case, I ran XP, then Vista, and just got so sick of both of them.
going into details makes my head hurt, and I'm sure any Windows-to-Ubuntu Converts know what I mean anyway!

All the best and please share stories!
Ben

selmore
December 24th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Whenever I'd google about emulating any kind of Linux distro on VMware, Ubuntuforums would come up. So i decided to install Ubuntu to try it.

ziffnabb
December 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Was using XP. Then started reading about how awful Vista was going to be. Decided I did not want any part of Vista. Found Ubuntu via Google. Dual booted with XP for a month. Now XP is gone. Couldn't be happier!

Ziffnabb

Wazeem
December 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I was packaged windows XP with my dell computer that i got when XP was new.

Now a good few years later I get windows randomly decide that my windows install is fake and I am a pirate. I dont like being called a pirate when im not pirating anything.

That was the big NO for getting vista as I didnt want microsoft to stop supplying me with updates if they forgot that i was legit.

CanonKen
December 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I did a Google for linux dist to start with to see what was available and what people had to say about them, ended up trying Knoppix then Suse but really made my mind up once I tried the Ubuntu live cd, been with it ever since

ChuTai
December 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I've discovered the beauty of ubuntu a few(like 2 :)) months ago at college.
I can't say that I have completely excommunicated windows (the occasional gaming)
but I can say that my partition for Windows have been getting smaller :).

My story is that I just found it easier to install an OS that includes
everything you need to be productive right from the get go, and if
there is something that the OS doesn't come with you can most
probably find it for free.

Plus I think ubuntu has a huge community which equal huge support
from people who are willing and not paid to help you.

jan quark
December 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
First there was Dos

Then there was windows 3.1

then windows 98

then xp

and vista.

Until XP there was some improvement. Since Vista I saw none and I started to look for an alternative which a promissing future. And here I am.

BenTyrer
December 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Some interesting stories coming along here :)

and whats this? People not satisfied with Microsoft?
This happens once in a blue moon- Yeah right! Lol! ](*,)

thanks for replying everyone, I hope to hear some more stories soon!

chris4585
December 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
At first i didnt have a problem with windows xp, i was referred to linux by my friends on IRC, they said it could do anything, so i tested ubuntu, didnt like it but i wanted to make it work, then i discovered the nice effects and tried to get them to work, but then it wouldnt work on my computer, i got a new computer with vista on it, i still tinkered with linux a little then, and finally i discovered vista has the DRM on it, and i could not do with that, i tried ubuntu again and i fell in love

corney91
December 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I saw a video on cnet about the Ubuntu LiveCD. Downloaded it and tryed it a bit on the CD, then a friend convinced me to install it and here I am:)

Samhain13
December 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Was using XP. Then started reading about how awful Vista was going to be. Decided I did not want any part of Vista. Found Ubuntu via Google. Dual booted with XP for a month. Now XP is gone. Couldn't be happier!

I have pretty much the same story although I didn't Google for an alternate OS to XP. I got introduced to Ubuntu by way of a blog posting by a friend who had tried the 6.10 betas and was happy about the final 6.10 release.

I went to the download site, dual booted for a month or so; did something wrong when trying to use the old Beryl so I thought to reinstall; messed-up my install and unintentionally erased XP. Hehehehe, but I couldn't be happier.

Happy Christmas. :)

R_T_H
December 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I got an old laptop and it was too slow to run windows satisfactorily. Hence Xubuntu

Giradman
December 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I've been basically a Windows user since the mid-1980s - started out in 1980 w/ an Apple II+ (just before the release of the first IBM PC) - PCs w/ MS software is used @ the medical center that I work & maintaining compatibility @ home was/is important.

But, a couple of months ago, the HD on my IBM laptop died (almost a 4 y/o ThinkPad X40) - I was about to just junked the computer after I bought a new Dell Latitude w/ VISTA as a replacement. Then, the idea of giving Linux a try interested me, so I replaced the HD (just $50) and doubled the RAM to 512 MB (another $25 only!) - the IBM booted from an external CD drive and loaded Ubuntu w/o a problem - seemed to be the current favorite & liked the presence of a good GUI & plenty of free software.

I've been having a 'ball' w/ this re-borned laptop! The 'wireless' card connected immediately to my Linksys router, so internet was no problem; plugged in my old Brother laser printer & my HP Scan Jet - again, both recognized immediately - WOW! The computer has been 'on the road' four times now, and has connected to the hotel networks w/o a major issues - quite pleased and glad to have an 'old' computer - won't worry about damage or the machine being stolen.

Now, when I retire from my current job (maybe 2-3 yrs) & need to purchase a new home desktop - well, I might just go w/ one of the newer Linux distros! :)

BenTyrer
December 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I booted from the live Cd after stumbling across Ubuntu's homepage, and I saw the potential it had and immediately installed it. I don't dual boot it with anything; I love it.

:) I also like the fact I am part of a supportive, friendly community, and I am no longer funding Microsoft by buying into their operating systems.

Open source all the way!

Looking forward to more stories, guys :wink:

Irihapeti
December 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM
After several computerless years I got a PC in February, with Vista on it. (Put that choice down to sheer ignorance :-) ). My son introduced me to open-source software, which was a good start. I'd heard about Ubuntu in various places, but the thought of downloading an ISO over a dialup kind of didn't appeal. Vista was actually behaving fairly well, most of the time anyway.

One day I saw a NZ PCWorld magazine in the local small-town supermarket with a DVD of free software bundled with it. One of the items was the ISO of Feisty. Curiosity got the better of me; I purchased it, burned a CD and started fiddling. Then sheer bloody-mindedness kept me going through some (in hindsight, minor) issues. I dual booted for 2 months. When I realised I was only loading Windows in order to do updates, I figured it was time to ditch it.

That was three months ago. And I've not ever regretted the decision.

jayson.rowe
December 25th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I started dual-booting Linux back in '99 (i think) with Red Hat 6, used Red Hat/Fedora for a while and switched to Slackware for a long time (and stopped dual-booting), then wanted an AMD64 distro, so I distro-hopped for a while, staying on Fedora again for a few releases (playing w/ Ubuntu in VM's) and finally switched all my machines back to Ubuntu - for good too.

I don't have time to fiddle with my machines constantly to get them to work, and with Ubuntu, they just work!

I still don't dual boot, but I use Windows at work (I'm a Network Administrator, and I have mostly all Windows servers at work I'm responsible for), and I do have an XP install running on my VMware server here at home.

graphikeye
December 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I bought an HP with VISTA pre-installed. Vista was a dinosaur, so I ditched it. Read about Ubuntu on Wired.com so I decided to give it a try. Stayed with it ever since.

MNICY
December 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I had a really old computer with terrible hardware (wich was disfuctional lol)
i wanted to run an OS that would work (XP did not load :() so i tried Ubuntu and it worked (for a while untill the computer stoped working)
well, i liked it so much that i stuck with it when i got a new one :D

BenTyrer
December 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, Ubuntu does tend to 'just work'

for example, as today is Christmas (happy Christmas to you all), I received a lovely wireless keyboard and mouse. My first thought was 'How will I get this to work on Ubuntu, if I have to install software via the CD?' - I just plugged in the USB and The keyboard and mouse sprang to life. I've used the system settings to configure some extra keys that the board adds, and everything is working smoothly.

Have a great Christmas everyone,
looking forward to hearing some more stories

Ben :)

armandh
December 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm a long time XP user with several side trips to the linux distro tryouts,
NONE SUCCESSFUL UNTIL 7.04 which just worked after a simple down load burn and install.
Ubuntu quickly replaced unlicensed software on older equipment,
7.10 is dual booting on the households 2nd fastest, [my fun stuff computer]
and will eventually replace vista on the wife's laptop
the fastest household computer belongs to my son the gamer and remains xp
speed wise my "work" computer is tied with my wife's laptop
it remains undisturbed xp and is working well so far [several programs are not found in native linux ]
and my favorite, hard working, printer is also unsupported [DDS-32]
I have tried other distros since but found them complex even if they work right out of the box.
the 3 basics at the top left is a great organization of the desk top
mint tries to mimic windohs and while it is nice to get the restricted drivers straight up.....
when I first tried Ubuntu, after just an hour of use, I found ubuntu's desktop arrangement best of all.

angelsguitar
December 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I currently dual-boot XP and Ubuntu, but am looking forward to get rid of Windows. I'm just stuck with some programs for music creation that I use; but I've found decent equivalents in Ubuntu for most of them. Anyway, I find Ubuntu very easy to use and much more stable than Windows. And it just works!! I'm really using Ubuntu more than Windows.
I find hillarious the way Windows XP manages a frozen program vs. Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, when a program is not responding (if it even happens), you just click "Force Quit" and everything is back to normal. In Windows, a program freezes and the whole system is like stuck for a few seconds (if it manages to stabilize...) It feels kinda like having an earthquake in your computer...

BenTyrer
December 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Haha, I got an error on windows when installing an antivirus program, and I got four BSOD in like, 6 minutes.

Im in the process of installing Steam Via wine, so I'll have counterstrike source and Garry's Mod 10 to play with before the day is out; there's officially no longer any reason I would require Windows on my computer! :)

Looking forward to hearing more,
ben,

abstractcoder
December 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I have always loved computers, and from reading many articles I knew that Linux was designed better than windows -- and overall was a better OS. It took many years before I actually tried Linux.

I was searching online for LiveCDs, and my friend gave me a few links, I found a website which was giving away cds for free, So I filled out the form and asked for 3 Ubuntu CDs, each for different architectures (64BIT PC, 32BIT PC, and MAC) .....and that's how I became a Ubuntie,

I have to admit, Linux is amazing!!

cd /etc
cat protocols

So much information! (I hunger for information :D)

karuzo
December 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I decided to migrate to linux after seeing beryl/compiz and its comparing to vista effects (if you can compare).
Iinstalled Sabayon first and experienced alot of problems with it. I didn't mind the learning curb linux introduced, but I found out I barely had any time to learn. At that point switching to ubuntu was a no brainer. I was also able to run compiz properly. I actually inastalled ubuntu yesterday and could not be happier as the volume control is now working as it should - something that did not function properly in Sabayon.
Iam not bashing Sabayon, but I think I am very happy now.

software pimp
December 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
XP! was great then they had to introduce Vista - pple are actually downgrading - if you can call it that- to XP- that should say it all!
I still use XP(cant get wine to work as yet)- newbie here, but i like the linux challenge - but i think in the long run I will be able to say "MY Computer" and really mean it!

christianxxx
December 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Was runnung Windows XP, and ignorantly happy with it. Then someone recommended Ubuntu. I had tried Red Hat before, but found it slow and annoying.
I admit I was a little sceptical at first, but Ubuntu proved to be a really good alternative. I don't know why my RH experience was so bad, but I don't care know. Ubuntu sparked up my life!
Converted all 3 computers spring/summer 07. Have 1 computer dual-booting with Vista for Flash-design and Photoshop, but whish I didn't have to, but The GIMP just isn't the same, and as of know I haven't found a linux tool for flash.

Also successfully installed Ubuntu on 3 of my friends computers. And they're happy too!!!

nethibernate
December 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
May be, I don't like windows any more, or may be...

BenTyrer
December 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm enjoying reading all the responses here :)

Also, I got a PM asking if wine can run on 64bit Ubuntu?
Anybody know?
:)

Thanks,
Ben

wolfen69
December 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
i was kidnapped by Mark Shuttleworth in the middle of the night and forced to listen to a tape recording of " God uses linux. linux is good." 5 million times. and here i am.

chrinabuntu
December 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post! WooHoooo!! Well, I gotta tell ya...I'm diggin' the 'buntus! I've always wanted to try Linux, but just never took that leap.

Recently a bunch of things happened all around the same time that changed all that. First of all, like everyone else, I had become so SICK of friggin' MicroSoft (gave up on IE a looooooong time ago. Been running Firefox/T-Bird for several years now) & Windows that I was truly beyond my wit's end. And of course, the ridiculous expense forces people to go broke, pirate everything, or just have nothing.

I've been running W2K for a while now...just don't care for XP and didn't want to change to it...but W2K does some rude and sucky things, things that are (or seem) impossible to recover from, and one ends up losing too much.

Anyway, just when I needed it something happened. I was contacted out of the blue by an old classmate from elementary school who randomly happened upon my blog while doing a search for something else (unfortunately, one of our classmates' younger brother died tragically, and he was doing a search to get info about it and found my blog, where I had discussed my feelings about it)...and we had some discussions about some of our other former classmates. One of those people was a blind kid that I used to hang out with, but lost touch with when we all went to high school (this was pre-internet, you see). I had wondered and wondered over the years what happened to this kid...wondered what he'd be doing with his life as an adult. I have even done searches on him to see if I could find anything out once I got all 'netted up...but to no avail.

This other guy told me he had also googled him and found someone who simply HAD to be him, and that his searches came up with a lot of postings from this guy about a lot of computer stuff. I thought, "Yep, that sounds like him!" (he was always a smart kid)

So, I was excited and immediately sent him an email, hoping we were right about it being him. As it turns out, it was him and he is not only a computer guy, but he is a HUGE LINUX GUY. I mean, Linux is like his WORLD, and he has even contributed to some blind accessibility stuff...and maybe other stuff too...and when I was bashing Windows and talking about how much I hated it and how miserable I was and blah blah...he opened up the world of Linux to me...and to the 'buntus in particular. I didn't even really hesitate...I immediately attempted to put Ubuntu on one of the laptops. I had difficulties, so I went with the 'X' instead (xubuntu). Got it! It's great...a few issues regarding hardware and such (my stuff is old and decrepit y'all!), but I went on and put it on the second laptop.

It then occurred to me that my lovely and beautiful desktop that had been packed up in the garage for almost a year because I couldn't even fdisk and reformat the damn thing after my w2k disaster could be revived in this way!! I knew what I had to do! It was 'Chrinabuntu' on a mission, and I knew Ubuntu would save the day! (I figure the desktop can handle the full 'U' while I reserve the 'X' for raising the struggling laptops to their potential).

Well, while all this was going on I of course have been reading all I can about the 'buntu family and all the forums and other stuff I can find, and even tho all my stuff isn't even finished being set up yet, I am already hooked. I want a T-shirt or hoodie or something to wear around and tell everyone about Ubuntu!!

So...I've hooked up with two old friends, and we're all about to meet up with each other after like almost 30 years...and I'm a converted Ubuntu person!

I love it here!

My name's Chris...How's THAT for a story?? ;o)

BenTyrer
December 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Chrinabuntu, I very much enjoyed reading your story!
And how good it is to hear you've managed to find two old friends! :)

Good times a-coming, lol!

Looking forward to hearing more,
Ben.

chrinabuntu
December 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Thank you Ben! (Love the 'uBENtu' name by the way!) I look forward to catching up on all the stuff I never knew about...you all are some seriously knowledgeable folks! I'm diggin' all the Ubuntu around here! ;o)

Dngrsone
December 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I donate a lot of my time to computer forums, mostly hardware-oriented sites, even moderate a few.

Every so often, I get the question, "Which Linux?" which is like asking the question, "which car should I buy?" It differs for every person.

So, my usual answer is a link to distrowatch, so the individual(s) can shop for their own.

However, more and more I am seeing the variant, "Which Linux is most like Windows (insert flavor here)?"

Well, that's like asking "Where can I find a cat that's like a dog?" There's no good answer.

However, often as not, I will see an overwhelming number of *Buntu recommendations. It got to the point where I was simply saying, that Ubuntu/Kubuntu was very popular amongst former Win only users.

Now I am not a total stranger to Linux. I've used the command line in one OS or another for a good 25 years, and I have had Slackware running on one fo my computers as a WINS server for a few years, as well as a DSL disc in my briefcase for troubleshooting other systems and a DSL-based firewall (I also have a folding farm with DSL-based server).

But... Slackware is definitely a hands-on approach to Linux when it comes to installation and setup, and I wanted something a little easier/intuitive as an alternative to Dngrswife's Vista install, so I thought I'd take my own recommendations and check out Ubuntu on my own laptop as a dual-boot (until my current folding work unit is completed).

So far, I like it a lot! It's easier to use and set up than I anticipated, though the blank-screen bootup is a little annoying/disconcerting (it makes me wonder if I'm using another bloatware product, frankly). In fact, I am thinking of wiping my daughter's new Vista laptop installing Ubuntu fresh on that. Let her learn an open OS from the beginning. http://xs117.xs.to/xs117/07270/nod.gif

spec-chum
December 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I've been wanting to switch to running Linux for a few years now (I've always preferred the Unix way of doing things to Windows),
but I've previously always had issues with hardware that I couldn't get working,

Then I tried Feisty.

Bang! Everything worked off the bat (apart from my printer, but I knew TurboPrint would sort that). Perfect.

I'm now on Gutsy. I do have XP installed in a virtual machine, but that's purely there for stuff that needs DRM (BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc).

Ubuntu is absolutely perfect for what I need. Just a shame I have to use Windows at work.

Nebutron
December 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm enjoying reading all the responses here :)

Also, I got a PM asking if wine can run on 64bit Ubuntu?
Anybody know?

Thanks,
Ben

Yes, wine does work on 64 bit version. Has a ways to go though. I have not found many programs that will successfully install via wine.

Nebutron
December 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
My journey to Ubuntu: I had used Windows since about 1987 when I was in college and saw the progression to 95,98, 2000/ME, XP and the digression to Longhorn/VIsta. XP was okay. Big improvment over 98. What really pushed me over to the Linux side was when my motherboard died. It was a huge hassle getting a new product key. I didn't know how to go about it so started by calling Dell who referred me to Microsoft. After a several hours of phone calls and arguing with Microsoft, they did give me the new key to keep using XP on my rebuilt Dell. Went through the same experience with my mother-in-law's computer recently, but was unable to get a new product key. I did some reading about Linux online and tried OpenSuse first. Loaded okay and most things worked, but didn't like the Yast thing and it just didn't feel right to me. So, downloaded the Ubuntu ISO, burned to disk and installed dual boot with XP. It instantly recognized all my hardware and even recognized my brand new digital camera. The only issue I had was no DVD playback. Asked a question on the forums and had that working in no time. Love the automatic updates. Love the feel and look of the system. Have my desktop dressed partly in MAC clothing just for fun. Love the freedom!!! Love the thought that I will never again have to fight with Microsoft to keep using an operating system that I had paid for. Love the fact that I did not have to pay at all for a system that works better and faster than any Windows flavor!!! Love the fact that I get to look like I know more about computers than really do. Most people I know think Linux is so esoteric. Of course I enlighten them about how easy it really is when I have the opportunity. Will keep XP for now because my wife is not yet fully converted. Don't see very buying another Windows system though. Ubuntu and the Ubuntu community is for me.

fcorourke
December 29th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I have been a Windows user since 3.1 -- moving from an early Apple II to a GS to Windows because of college. Incompatible files. I loved 3.1, system crashed and just reload & it found your apps! Things have gone down hill since then. I just had a crash last week & said to HECK with Windows. Never did try Vista -- but now do not really care that much. I will install XP on one drive for some photo manipulation & that will do me. I like this already and have only been working out small kinks for 4 or 5 days. In a month with Ubuntu -- I will be totally happy & actually I am right now as I am not worried about a crash!!!

Fred::lolflag::

bakelitedoorbell
December 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hello,

I am primarily a Mac user, and started using Ubuntu because 1. I was curious about it and wanted to check out a distro of linux, and 2. I had a program I wanted to run that only had a Windows version so I couldn't use it on my Mac. I figured I could get a used older laptop and put Ubuntu on it and run the program with Wine. This seemed like it would be cheaper and more fun than buying a Windows license and installing Bootcamp.

Now a year and a half later - I did manage to get that program to run with Wine, but as it turns out I didn't need it anyway. But I am getting more and more things working on my Ubuntu laptop, which has been a fun hobby for me. Now the laptop is being used as my mobile web browsing machine that I take with me on the road.

SoberWarlock
December 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Well I saw my dad using it and I was fascinated with the cool windows effects and fast logons. I wanted to try it out and it is AWESOME. Though I don't use it as a daily basis, becasue I play a lot of games, but I do use it for experimenting and getting the hang of coding and stuff like that since I just turned 15 I can learn a lot from starting early.

keeper of the wheel
December 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I came to Ubuntu via the OpenCD project back in 2005. I now have my computer dual booted XP Pro and Ubuntu 7.10.
The only reason I still have XP is not for gaming but for professional reasons (I own a newspaper and still use Photoshop for CMYK set ups)
I have converted over to Scribus from InDesign.
Komposer and Bluefish from Dreamweaver
Gimp from Fireworks
... slowly but surely, I hope to be 100% converted over to Ubuntu by 2009.

I would like to know if anyone can point me to a place where I can learn to use WINE.

BenTyrer
December 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I've been away for a few days and haven't had chance to reply to you all,
I've read all these newer posts and they are really interesting; it's great to hear from you all! :)

Also, thanks to Nebutron for the swift reply to my question about wine! :KS

I've recently converted my step-father's son to a Linux distribution; Fluxbuntu
(Not sure if that's an official branch-off of Ubuntu).
It's elegant, and runs really fast on his washed up laptop with a dashing 5gig HDD!

I also put it on my more recent PC, with a 160gig HDD and 512mb RAM ( Soon to be more, with the help of Christmas gift money!:) ), because I wanted to see how fast it would run on my computer, if it ran that fast on his old laptop!
It was lightening fast (Imagine it with more RAM!), but it wasn't for me, and Now I think I will stick with this Xubuntu Distro, as it is just as fast and just that tiny bit more user friendly and easy on the eyes.

I will probably start downloading the alternate Xubuntu version for the old laptop tonight, and install it tomorrow, as navigation on Xubuntu, I find, Is a bit easier than Fluxbuntu- But if you want a lightening fast System and don't mind fishing around a bit for things, it's defiantly something to consider.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply, and thanks to Nebutron!

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Ben.

Nebutron
December 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=

I would like to know if anyone can point me to a place where I can learn to use WINE.[/QUOTE]

I would try here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332

kjb34
December 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I have been using WIndow$ for awhile. When I decided to build a computer this year I knew to keep my costs down I would use Linux, At first I was going to use Fedora. But that was because my brother talked it . I decided against that then for while I was looking at SUSE. Finally after some more searching I decided on Ubuntu. I got a feisty Live CD but icouldn't get it to work so I downloaded 7.1 alternate install CD It loaded right away and I haven't had any real problems with it (except for FF crashing occasionally). :)

BenTyrer
December 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Building a computer is always fun :) (When things work, that is!)
I like your profile image by the way!

Regards,
Ben.

ugm6hr
December 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM
To Linux:
A hard drive failure on my laptop, which meant my XP installation wouldn't boot. Puppy Linux LiveCD saved the day and recovered my data. Actually installed Puppy as a dual-boot on the same laptop when I put a new HD in, cos I liked it's speed.

To Ubuntu:
That laptop got donated to my mum for my "upgrade" with Vista. Unfortunately, the 512MB RAM that came with my new laptop made Vista entirely unusable, so I installed Xubuntu7.04 on my brother's advice (more apps in repositories than Puppy). Not looked back since (although have upgraded to 1GB RAM, and now a Gnome user).

Funny, my brother has been through Ubuntu, Xandros and Gentoo, but went back to Windows cos of Broadcom wifi issues...

spiff95
December 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I started with DOS 6.22/Win3.1. Moved to Win95, thought it was pretty cool. I was taking an OS course at the local Junior College, and while the instructor was covering Unix (which I thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread), he mentioned Linux. I was intrigued, and d/l'd Slackware (over dialup!) during the Christmas break. I dual booted for a while but I really didn't have a lot of time to get deep into the nuts & bolts of it, and spent more time in Win95.

I upgraded to 98, and would try a new distro every so often (Redhat, SuSE, Redhat again). There was always steady improvement, but I just wasn't ready to jump.

I really liked Win2k and stuck with that 'til 2005, when I got a new 'puter with XP. I had no complaints (except pouring $ into Uncle Bill's pocket), and spent the next two years w/ XP.

Then I heard on a podcast about Ubuntu and how great a lot of people thought it was, and decided to give it a try.

Now, I dual boot with XP, but I rarely boot INTO XP! I've found all the software I need to do everything I need to do. This is just TOO COOL!

You can bet your bottom dollar my next machine will run Ubuntu only.:):):)

potatu
December 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
About a year ago when I was in the army, I bought a laptop, and for the first time I had a computer to myself (instead of sharing one with my family). It came with XP and was part of the Vista upgrade program, so I got Vista when it was released. Since I used my computer quite avidly during spring (made a yearbook for my company in the army) and I wasn't sure wether InDesign would work in Vista, I pushed the Vista jump until summer and my discharge. As soon as I was a free man again, I pumped in Vista, eager to enjoy the eye-candy I had heard of.

However, as Vista booted for the first time, it didn't load my ATi-drivers, no matter how many times I installed them. I had to put in an older version of the drivers for Vista to recognize it. Bad start. Then Opera, my browser of choice for 5 years, seemed to have a problem as well. Any time I entered a page with more than two flash elements, the processor use went straight to the roof (50%, meaning one of the dual cores was doing 100%). Never had this issue with XP.

I then wanted to transfer my pictures, videos and music from my external drive and was very annoyed with the way Vista handled this. Vista wanted to calculate how long it would take, using at least three or four minutes, before it even started to transfer a single file! Stupid.

And over the following weeks I grew more and more annoyed. Every time I fired up PokerStars, Vista wanted my approval. Same thing with iTunes (since I had last.fm installed, and this was a potential threat to the system).The infamous and useless UAC. It still boggles me that you can either have it turned on, meaning it controls every move you make, or turned off completely. There is no in-between, ie. approving certain programs you trust. It's just plain stupid.

After realizing I couldn't take it anymore, I found the XP cd and was just about to install it when I thought of linux. I had tried SUSe 9.2 a few years back, and liked it quite well, but could never get the wifi to work so had to botch it (turns out the wifi card was dead, not suse's fault). I knew about Ubuntu, and decided to give it a go. The install went flawlessly and I was very pleased to see the Restricted Driver Manager pop up and install the proprietary ATi-driver. My ATi card worked better on Ubuntu. Even the wireless card worked OOTB.

I am now very happy with my laptop, enjoying stability, usability and speed I never saw with windows. And the eye-candy is also a lot better.:lolflag:

got a bit carried away there, pardon the long post

raul_
December 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I needed linux because of it's development tools (it's what we use in college) and they gave away Ubuntu Live CD's to our major's freshmen, and here I am. That was back in the Warty days. Used Ubuntu until Feisty. Then, I was playing with this old laptop, and installed Arch. I was so impressed that now all my machines run Arch.

But I still like Ubuntu, and I like to hang out in the forums

Pethegreat
December 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I have been a windows user for life. I used windows since 3.1. After screwing around with a custom built computer with XP on it, I decided to build my own computer to be a music jukebox. I never liked any of the music players for windows, and I did not feel like spending $100 on windows. I herd about Linux and how it ran severs with no downtime and was completely free. I looked around for a version to install on my computer. I was referred to Ubuntu by a friend in school who had used Linux for some time. I downloaded the ISO for the 64bit version and installed it. I was amazed that I got it up and running in only 30 minutes.

I have limited my windows usage down to only fixing things on my brother's computer. I hope to never have to go back to windows.

BenTyrer
December 30th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I really love ubuntu when it comes to things just working out of the box. :)

once again, thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's contribution to this thread!

Hoping to hear from lots more people!
Ben.

jazzman65
December 30th, 2007, 02:55 AM
For me, the last straw with Windows was when I was completely unable to install SP2 for XP. Every time I tried, something always went wrong and the update would abort. About that time, I read about Ubuntu in a regular technical column in our newspaper. The writer highly recommended it, so I downloaded it, installed it on an old drive, tested it out and absolutely loved it. I then decided to build a new box from scratch (my first build) and I've run nothing but Ubuntu on it.

There are several aspects about using Ubuntu that I really appreciate. First is my freedom from Windows, of course. More than that, I've really enjoyed learning Linux and being able to figure out little problems here and there. This forum has been a wealth of information and I especially appreciate the willingness of this community to share their own experiences and knowledge. The icing on the cake is the wonderful performance of Ubuntu! After 8 months and one major update, I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the stability and performance of Ubuntu. It's just too bad I still have to deal with Windows at work!

gsiliceo
December 30th, 2007, 03:07 AM
TO be honest, digg.com i saw so many storys about ubuntu i couldnt not check it out, and i so happy i did.
It was a time i just had tons of virus in windows and i was tired of deleting my os for the 19th time so i installed ubuntu, got amazed at not having to install drivers(my asrock 775i65gv mobo worked out of the box) and started learning. Im a tech savy guy in love with the CLI. I installed ubuntu in my sis's pc because she used to have many more virus and spyware than me and forced to use ubuntu lol.
She cant do anything she is completly pc illiterate and 6 months later she stills hates ubuntu but i is not taking my time to do maintainance.

perdition79
December 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I came to Ubuntu because my old box was slow, even under windows 98. AMD Athlon 2000+, 256 MB RAM, etc. Microsoft stopped supporting 98 a while ago, and increasingly fewer programs worked on my system. To switch to Vista would have required an entirely new computer, so I started trying Linux.

Ubuntu was the best for me -- everything works, open-source programs do everything and save thousands of dollars on software, and it's so easy to use that people with no computer skills can play around with it.

The speed is great, too; Windows used to have tons of processes running in the background, not even being used. Ubuntu only runs what it needs to, nothing more -- pure speed for my scrap heap of a computer. I drank the Kool-Aid, no dual-booting here.

besby11
December 31st, 2007, 04:10 AM
Ummm, the fact that xp is falling apart and Vista is enuff to make me cry, and WGA caught up to me if you catch my drift...;)

tim237
December 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Hey guys. First post for me here, thought I'd tell you how I ended up in the past week installing Ubuntu.

Over the past year I've been trying out various alternatives to Microsoft products, all have been much to my benefit. I started out by switching to Open Office, which (while it wasn't very different at all from MS Office) did it's job for free. I then tried out Firefox and loved all the features that came with it.

My rebellion against the Microsoft enterprise was reaching it's climax when I went on a Mac. I couldn't believe how good it was, I wondered why on earth anyone went with windows. I decided for my next computer I'd go Mac.

Linux had never gone into my mind. As far as I was aware it was for geeks, you needed to be super-clever to do anything and nothing worked on it.

Then one of my friends came round and showed me his dual boot. I found out how easy it was to give Ubuntu a go, and how cool it actually was: lot's of free stuff and even a 3D spinning cube to boot! I'm still here despite my wireless not working yet. Dual booting at the moment (though XP has died on me but that's a story for another day if my plan for sorting it doesn't work)

zhkent
December 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
I purchased a new system 76 (ubuntu) with a much larger hard drive than I had to store video files on.
Was the biggest dang puzzle I've ever opened.
My video camera had a goofy file format, took 3 months to get it working.
It is MY computer, and that is why I bought it with ubuntu.

Nebutron
December 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Hey guys. First post for me here, thought I'd tell you how I ended up in the past week installing Ubuntu.

Over the past year I've been trying out various alternatives to Microsoft products, all have been much to my benefit. I started out by switching to Open Office, which (while it wasn't very different at all from MS Office) did it's job for free. I then tried out Firefox and loved all the features that came with it.

Looking back, My journey (rebellion) really started the same way. I tried firefox because I heard it was less vulnerable to hacking. Tried OpenOffice because I didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for another microsoft program that I felt should be included with the OS. I didn't know the road would eventually lead to Ubuntu or Linux in general. Quite happy that I found my way to Ubuntu though. My Wifi is not working yet either. I'm sure it would be, but I just haven't spent much time trying to sort it out. I'm wired directly into the router, so haven't needed to worry about it yet. Happy Ubuntuing!

Jammy4041
December 31st, 2007, 04:55 PM
Well it's free isn't it!

That's enough for most people to make the switch, but windows prices out when it's loyal fanbase of whom many have been using it for most of their computing years, when it forces you to upgrade to vista on a perfectly working computer. Then there is the cost of lots of OTHER things involved as well.

But when Windows keeps crashing, (my laptop kept switching itself off-I have never had this problem in Ubuntu)

And i haven't used mac.
The choice is obvous.

AusIV4
December 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
My roommate used Ubuntu and lent me a Breezy Live CD. X didn't load on my ATI graphics card, so he suggested I try a Hoary CD, and it worked nicely. I wasn't ready to switch to Linux just yet, so I grabbed an old desktop I had lying around at home, got a small flat-screen monitor, and set it up in my closet. At first I used it mainly as a file server: You can store a lot more data on a desktop than you can a laptop. After a few months, I put a TV tuner in it and started recording TV shows.

It wasn't long before a 700 Mhz processor and 256 MB of RAM wasn't enough to do what I wanted, so I built a new computer with a 2.93 Ghz Celeron D and 512 MB RAM. It now has two TV tuners, a 500 GB RAID 5.

About a year ago (shortly after Edgy Eft had come out), I decided to start dual booting my laptop. It worked fairly well, but my graphics card was somewhat shakey and my wireless card only gave me 802.11 b.

I thought about buying a Mac for a little while, but decided I was happy with Ubuntu, so I'd support a company that supported Ubuntu. In February I got a System76 Gazelle with minimal specs, intending to take it to class and take notes. I quickly realized that my Gazelle could overpower my old laptop with a few upgrades, so it now has a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1.5 gb RAM, and a 120 GB hard drive.

At this point, Windows has been resigned to a Virtual Machine that gets loaded less than once a month. I've been using Ubuntu for over 2 years, and using it more or less exclusively for a little over one year.

Go_Bucks
December 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'd been disappointed with Windows for awhile and thought thar what you got was ridiculous for what you pay. I am also big on corporate responsibility. Last, but not least, I need GIS to do the work I do and if I were to ever leave my company and go out on my own as a consultant, I am not paying thousands for ArcGIS software when I can do the same stuff with open source.

Though I have still not learned to do everything under Linux that I could do under Windows (I know that I can... but GIS software is fairly complex and it took me years to get where I am using ArcGIS), I have been very pleased with the results. I have some complex analytical software for free which, if I could find an equivalent for Windows, would have cost tens of thousands. It also seems that things that took many steps to do under Windows are simpler in Linux. I have even been able to use some older hardware (GPS units with cords) that I couldn't get to work under Windows (driver CDs missing)... just plug them into my Linux box and they communicate with each other fine with no setup! That's amazing!

Nebutron
December 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM
In February I got a System76 Gazelle

Just curious. I have seen a couple of people refer to a "system 76." What is that?

markusf21
December 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Just curious. I have seen a couple of people refer to a "system 76." What is that?

They make computers with Ubuntu on them just like Dell http://www.system76.com/ (http://system76.com)

Nebutron
January 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
They make computers with Ubuntu on them just like Dell http://www.system76.com/ (http://system76.com)

Very cool. I checked out the site. Much easier to use than Dell! Thanks for the info.

got awesome?
January 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I've used MS products since DOS and Windows 3.1, and just followed the natural upgrade path to 95, 98SE, 2K and XP. I still use XP at home on a dedicated machine, for games, and other programs I use that I haven't yet found replacements for under Linux. My Windows machine is nicely spec'd @ P4D 2.6GHz, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia 7800, and it runs very quickly (I've done some reg editing to make it snappier, running the Win kernel in RAM seemed to give me the most performance benefits) and I have it locked down with AVG and ZoneAlarm. I think I will hang on to XP for a while, I have a fair bit of Windows software that I still use, although I will be playing around with dual booting and VMs over the next few months.

The thing I hated about Windows the most was virus/malware vulnerabilities. I don't even have a firewall on my Linux box (yet) and I haven't had an issue in 2-3 months of using it. No AV either, kinda goes without saying, but it keeps the system load waaaay down which is lovely! It's a bit of a struggle learning all the new commands and folder structures in Linux, but it's definitely getting easier as I go along, just a matter of doing and re-doing and letting it all sink in. I've done a few re-installs already after rooting a few installations beyond my capability to fix them, but even that is easy, and all my software is back straight away!

In short - very happy with my new OS, and very excited to keep learning more!

:KS

zipperback
January 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I use Linux as my choice of operating system because I want the ability to use my computer in the manner I see fit, and to be able to legally modify the source code of the applications I use. In addition, I don't like the big brother attitude that MS has taken with the users of their products.

I prefer the freedom of Open Source Software, and the Ubuntu community.

Long Live Linux!

-zipperback
:popcorn:

allforcarrie
January 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
all the hype while i was trying other distros.

dimbulb1024
January 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
The blizzard of 2006 in Denver. There wasn't much to do so I started playing around with the idea of installing a linux distro. I was going to create a dual boot but being a n00b I toasted the install. :lolflag:
I did a single boot install of Ubuntu and have never looked back

cframes1
January 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
I upgraded to Vista and had nothing but problems and slow performance. My boss turned me on to Ubuntu and I gave it a try. I love it. No more ridiculous licensing fees or software charges. I don't get little pop-ups telling me it's time to upgrade for $39.99 anymore.

The forums are great. when I stared with Ubuntu 7.04 I could barely navigate the thing now I have Gutsy and every feature of my laptop works like it was on super turbo mode thanks to the help of this wonderful community.

My only hope is that Ubuntu can start finding ways to downplay the CLI in favor of GUI. Not to say that I don't like the CLI it's a very powerful tool, but I always love when I find a nice easy GUI to compliment all of these wonderful programs that are available.

Erpie
January 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I discovered linux many years ago, but im not a geek so i always had problem to use it. That has made me a windows user, i was very satisfate by win xp since last spring, but it is a OLD os and suffer now too many security problems.
I look on Vista but :lolflag:

So I have tried some live cd and when i discover Ubuntu support very well my desk and laptop hardware i got it.

Now im in dual boot because i need Photoshop and another picture program that run only in win, but for all the rest i use Ubuntu, and if more hardware will be supported i think i will not change for long time.

kamaboko
January 3rd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Curiosity brought me. No great hate for MS products or anything like that. I just wanted to see what Linux was all about.

pdadad
January 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I went through the series of Win95, Win98 and Win2k. Held off of WinXP because of their licensing limitations. I used it at work and saw no reason to upgrade.

About 4 years ago I read about Linux on the net and decided to try Redhat. I bought the boxed version. The support at that time was terrible but my curiosity was up so I couldn't let the thought of using Linux go away.

After some time I discovered Mepis. It was a dream until something happened to my motherboard and my Mepis setup at the same time. I had hung on to Win2k and just kept running it on my messed up motherboard but kept reading about Linux in general. Kept up with new distros on DistroWatch and after having seen Ubuntu climb to the top in page hits I planned to give it a try.

Bought a new PC about a year ago. I loaded Ubuntu on a second hard drive, while dual booting with WinXP for a while. Then later set the WinXP hard drive to the side and now use the second hrad drive to run various flavors of Linux on it. That way I'm not messing with my main hard drive with Ubuntu on it.

I'm now one big happy Ubuntu user and have converted 2 friends over to Linux and working on a couple more. :)

sujoy
January 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
great........ i do the same thing infact. try out different distros on my laptop while i have a stable debian on my PC

wipeout140
January 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I run Windows XP then i downloaded Windows Vista RC1 when that first came out and did some testing then downloaded RC2 and saw Windows was going nowhere so started to look for alternatives (2006 at minute)
Apple Mac was too expensive and had a nice laptop which i liked so i did not want to sell then buy a overpriced macbook also price put me off. Then i turned to Linux and ubuntu looked good and worked well with my laptop first version used was 6.10. So its Windows Vista & Curiosity which turned me to ubuntu and i am glad

meho_r
January 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I tried Linux for the first time couple of years ago. It was Mandrake Linux v.8 I picked from some magazine's CD and installed it just because I was wondering: "Hey, what's this?". Naturally, I messed things up, destroyed Win installation... After frustrations, I realized that I'm not ready yet for this.

About three or four years ago I got curious how it looks like now (yeah, I like "different";)). I got SUSE CD's, installed it and decided that this time I won't give up easily. Duh, that weren't pleasant days :) But in couple of month I learned the basics, found equivalents for software I used to use in Win and even more.

Last year a friend of mine, knowing I use Linux, picked up in some market nicely packed Ubuntu 5.10 live and install CDs and bring them to me saying: "This may be interesting for you". Well, that's it. I gave it a try and now I use Ubuntu on a daily basis, as primary OS, for private use and business too :D I have openSUSE (which I like a lot) installed too, and WinXP (now only for gaming:))

For me, the most important reasons (there're others, too;)) for using Linux are:
– community and it's willingness to help,
– philosophy of Free Software and OpenSource software.

As a long time Windows' user, I must admit that I found out that almost everything works better on Linux. If I had to pay for it, even more than for Win, I will :)

meho_r
January 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Sorry, duplicate post, connection problem

BreathEasy
January 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I've been fooling around with Linux since about 1996. However, it's always taken a back seat to Windows because, well, Windows wasn't bad enough and Linux didn't play enough games (except for Doom. :) ) Throughout the years, I'd try something different every now and then, but since the mainstream desktop wasn't really a focus back then, it was still an ugly POS requiring lots of hacks that I wasn't particularly happy about.

As I got older and became more disillusioned at the way Windows was headed, particularly with Vista, I tried out Ubuntu. It's come a long way. :)

mawalters1
January 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM
We use various distro types at work, once Redhat, now debian64 for our embedded needs; then a colleague mentioned system76 laptops.

Looked it over and it was about 1K $$ less than the same system from DELL.
Using a serval serp3 product from system76.
Intel Core Duo T7700, 2GB RAM, nVidia 512 MB GeForce 8600M GT, 250GB disk, and more...

So, far I find it very easy and tight. I will have my family use it as well. I have not seen a reason not to use it. I have configured it to view DVD, haven't had much issue integrating with MS Windows environments at work either.

So for the peace of mind, I am loving the ease use, with the package management to adding and removing software. To compiling various tools or kernels as well.
I have my 6 year old using the same system on a desktop.

cjnkns
January 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM
For work I strictly must use windows or whatever the client is using ...

At home I do have and have had for a long time been using windows.
I have tried linux off and on - the reason I have not stuck with linux is probably mostly my fault becuase I have not invested the time to learn as I should have.

lately with Ubuntu I have been doing everything I can to use (only ) my ubuntu laptop in order to learn and try to have fun again.

There are always things I go back to windows for like games but, i have been enjoying my time on linux/ubuntu it's a very nice system once I get it configured they way I like.

It's really nice when using a new OS not to have to worry about updating / paying for virus scanning software ... that's really a beautiful thing! The more I hear of MS and their controlling ways the more it pushes me to linux as my only system.
I just wish I was smart enough or good enough to help the community out in some way.

Dingbat
January 6th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Use windows at work and at home. Have been using Win2K forever and it's plenty stable and usefull even today. Haven't really needed to move to WinXP since everything I use works fine on Win2K.

However I am the designated "family & friends" tech support and have had to fix alot of problems with WinXP and Vista and my experience especially with Vista has been underwhelming.

Perfect example: My wife has a friend who is currently using a P4 @ 1.8 Ghz (a machine that isn't modern) and that friend's hubby bought a firebreathing Dual Core box recently. She's running XP, he's running Vista.

The XP box was snappy and very responsive. The Vista box (which had extremely fast hardware) felt far more sluggish and the UAC was a pain in the derriere. After tweaking Vista (ie: disabling AERO, disabling the UAC and a few other things), I got the machine responsive enough to at least match the "feeling" of the 1.8 Ghz box.

Considering this experience, and all the other rigamarole with DRM, and the fact that my IT guy where I work will not allow Vista machines on his network, too much of a hassle to support, he says ...

I decided that I didn't want to touch vista with a 10 foot cattleprod.

Add to that:
- Confusing set of packages.
- Way overblown prices.
- Driver problems up the wazoo.
- Bunch of serious bugs.
- Resource hog uber alles (I have 9 'puters at home ranging from a celeron 400 to an AMD64-3200 and everyting in between) ... and seeing how the thing made a monster dual core box feel like a ho-hum / 3 year old machine ... No thanks, I think I'll pass.

So -- deciding that I finally wanted to go to the next step beyond Win2K on my boxen, I started playing with Ubuntu. Started with Edgy. Now I'm using Gutsy and I'm happy as a clam.

Everything works great
- Patching and upgrades are totally automated.
- Comes with everything I need.
- What I don't have I can run in VMWARE in a Win2K virtual machine.
- Samba is fine for fileshares
- Got my fave game running under WINE (Tribes2), and plan on getting CEDEGA.
- Built my file server off of ubuntu for servers as a software RAID-1 setup, haven't had to reboot the thing in months.
- The eye candy of Beryl/Compiz easily competes against Vista.
- Works fine with all my hardware (mix of old and new).
- Got that good feeling that I'm not using any bootleg software.
- Free as in Free Beer and Free as in Freedom.
- When I do have to fix something, I learn something new each time.
- Got great help from IRC community.

What can I say -- it does the job great. I honestly think that Linux is ready for the desktop at last.

Main 'puter: AMD64-3200, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 7.10
Secondary: Athlon 2600XP, 1 Gig RAM, running Win2K Pro
Wife: Intel Dual Core 805D, 1 Gig RAM, Win2K Pro
Basement compy (MP3 mostly): Athlon 850, 384 Megs, Ubuntu 7.04
File Server: Athlon 2000XP, 512 Megs of RAM, Pair of Raid 1's, Ubuntu 7.04 server
Mail/FTP/SSH Server: P3-866, 784 Megs of RAM, Win2K Server
Mail/FTP/SSH Emergency backup: P2-400 Celeron, 512 Megs of RAM, Win2K Server
Old Laptop: Celeron 400, 384 Megs of RAM, XUbuntu 7.04
Rotation/debug box: Athlon 1000, 512 Megs of RAM, dual boot win2k/Ubuntu.

Yes -- a bit crazy but as I said, I do support for friends & family and I also use alot of this stuff for the office as well. Run my own mail server and web server [Love DynDNS].

Anyhow, dat's me.

-- Dingbat.

Akkeasd
January 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Well, I'm not sure what brought me into Ubuntu. :-D

Friend of mine told it, so I decided to install it, and I love it. :)

Well, it Ubuntu has it's "minus points", and one of the biggest is game support, but it doesen't really matter, cuz I have that dualboot, so you like or you don't like it, how simple is that. ^^

lucas greenway
January 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
hey what brought me to linux was my failed attempts of getting a cracked windows vista lol.....
but now that i have ubuntu im luvin it also it was a beryl video that thing is pretty dam cool :)

AnonCat
January 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think what ultimately brought me to Ubuntu was my curiosity about Linux and also my desire for better internet security. What kept me with Linux is how customizable it is and the fact that I've been able to always find a free software solution I need in Synaptic. People complain that there is nothing to do on Linux, but I've had the opposite experience from roaming the repositories and always finding interesting software. I do more on Ubuntu because of that than I ever did in Windows. I hope that Ubuntu or Linux in general sticks around for a very long time and I never have to find myself going back to Windows or other proprietary OSes.

Yoke & Chung
January 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
To answer in short: Vista & Office 2007 chased me away!

Long version:
I was excited by Vista at first when my new notebook arrived. While doing the standard routine of installing the MUST HAVE software like firewall, anti-spyware, and anti-virus on my brand new computer, the Zonelarm Pro screwed my Vista as it is not compatible with it!

I gotta re-install Vista on my first boot :( The process was frustrating, with all the drivers, updates, then applications. Finally I have a working system again. Then I installed Office 2007, my goodness, what have they done! At that time I was on a project, and there were tons of Excel & Word documents to complete, and I got myself stumped at Office 2007 due to the complete overhaul of the UI, and have to spend countless hours going through the tabs to look for the features. Out of frustration I borrowed my wife's laptop which has StarOffice installed, and completed my work.

When the madness was over, I decided to buy StarOffice from Sun website and dumped my brand new Office 2007, and from there I chanced upon OpenOffice and from there it opened the Open Source door to me, and I found Linux and Ubuntu...

I still have Windows Vista, XP Pro, XP Home, and 2000 installed in 4 of my home computers. Though I hardly use them anymore, but since I have paid for all these licenses, I might as well keep them installed.

I have used Windows from 3.11 to Vista (skipped only the ME edition), and finally I am free!

evil316
January 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I had looked into Linux many years back (back when red hat was the main player). I thought it was a good OS to tinker with but wasn't ready to be my primary desktop. Plus I still did a lot of gaming on my Windows platform. So a couple of things, first Linux has come a long way in a short time and it's ready to be my prime time desktop. Add to that that I decided to just use my Wii as my gaming platform and seperate my desktop use from my gaming use and now I've got 2 Ubuntu desktops, and IPcop PC and both my wife and daughter use Ubuntu on their laptops.

Nebutron
January 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I had looked into Linux many years back (back when red hat was the main player). I thought it was a good OS to tinker with but wasn't ready to be my primary desktop. Plus I still did a lot of gaming on my Windows platform. So a couple of things, first Linux has come a long way in a short time and it's ready to be my prime time desktop. Add to that that I decided to just use my Wii as my gaming platform and seperate my desktop use from my gaming use and now I've got 2 Ubuntu desktops, and IPcop PC and both my wife and daughter use Ubuntu on their laptops.

Welcome to the community! Just thought I would mention the gaming situation is getting better. I recently installed Half Life 2 through Wine-doors. Works without a problem. :)

Crazy Jesus
January 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I tried various distros throughout the years and nothing took my fancy. With Vista looming on the horizon it was time to make the switch.

Chayak
January 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Mainly, the great community that has grown around it. Ubuntu has it's flaws yes, but it has a very strong backing and it's rare that when I run into something outside of my experience that I can't post a question and get help fairly quickly. I recently was looking at Fedora 8 and it's improved leaps and bounds from the past and I love the spins concept they're using but I haven't switched over on my main linux system because Ubuntu has one if not the strongest linux distro community going and Ubuntu is improving at an amazing pace.

Lightmaster
January 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
The comunity, and not just the Ubuntu one, but the whole Linux comunity.The idea of freedom, of beeing able to customize your own operating system to suit your needs.
Tho I'm rather new to the whole Linux world, I'm eager to help other people out, and that's probably the best reason that brought me here

sujoy
January 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
+1 for the above. :)

Maikelv
January 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Been using win95, 98,XP , and to be very honest, I was satisfied.
However, as a lot of you, I really hate vista (it made my laptop so bloody slow...), oh and its fugly.

So , I m here because I don't want to keep running xp , when I know it has no future, and I don't want to switch to Vista.
I tried mypclinuxos once before, but I never really got into it. I ve been using ubuntu for a few days now. And up to now I'm pretty happy.

I still have some issues though, like no photoshop CS3, can't active CS2. And my printer doesn't work yet. So I still have to boot XP for my design work.

Nezing
January 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I came up through 3.1 right up to Vista Business Edition.Had a go with Red Hat Linux years ago,on a spare desktop,but was beyond my scope at that time.Earlier this year,I had got fed up with XP,and the constant security updates,and fields of protection software I was using.Had Vista Business Edition bought for me (what?),and realised within a week that it was a mistake.Configuration problems,crashes etc.Sold that to a friend-licence change approved via phone(lol-sorry Bill),and downloaded Ubuntu.At first I thought I had made an error of judgement,but three installs later (all my fault I hasten to add),I was up and running.I have since installed Xubuntu-I like this-and have decided to stay with it.My PC does not have limited resources,which Xubuntu is made for-I have 1 gig of ram memory,an 100 gig internal hard drive,and two external.One with 500 gig,and the other 160 gig storage space,so you could say I have over kill.All my stored media plays fine,my desktop is how I want it,and of course I have learned volumes from this forum,without which I would still probably be in the MS dark age.

Oh yes,I occasionally use Mandriva,just for testing,on my spare PC.

n2stc
January 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
What brings me to LINUX:
- Hard drive crashed
- Windows install disk corrupt
- Always wanted to try it
- Love the idea of free apps and coming with all you need
- Like the security/immunity
- It's FUN!
- It's exclusive yet inclusive

Tried FreeSpire

What brought me to UBUNTU:
- couldn't get printer working in FS
- Found lots of helpful posts on Ubuntu forums
- Read good reviews

I may still revert to XP dual boot, as my wife is convinced she'll have trouble with some of her tasks (not yet), and I need a backup.

ANY THOUGHTS?

evil316
January 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I may still revert to XP dual boot, as my wife is convinced she'll have trouble with some of her tasks (not yet), and I need a backup.

ANY THOUGHTS?

My wife loves Ubuntu. She gets frustrated once in a while and I just say "Do you want me to put Windows back on your computer?" She calms right down and says "No".

Chibone
January 10th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I came from Mac OS X to Ubuntu. It's been a long trip here.

I started off computing with a 286 and DOS. Moved on up to Windows 95 and 98. My first year of college, got tired of Windows (2k was stable, but looked more of the same) and decided to try OS X (this was before I knew Ubuntu was around). Ran it from 10.2 to 10.4.

Then, I had a hard drive crash. It started with an innocuous program crashing on me in OS X, and somehow it deadlocked the system. I turned off the computer and when I went to reboot it, my hard drive was seemingly dead - it wouldn't load OS X, even after running Disk Utility and such on it. I had played with Ubuntu before, so I ran Ubuntu on a USB drive for a while while trying to figure out ways to save my old hard drive. Ubuntu was a godsend then. I was able to continue working with only minor interruption.

While using Ubuntu, I took a hard look at my computing habits and realised that although I liked OS X, the bread and butter of my computing experience was free and open source software. OpenOffice. Firefox. Adium (which is based on Pidgin). Transmission. TeX for OS X. And so on. I was thinking at this point "Why pay for 10.5 when all the software I like is open-source?"

I made the jump to Ubuntu, first because it served admirably when I needed it, and secondly because I decided I was willing to sacrifice the convenience and "glitz" of OS X for true freedom in my operating system. I had thought about it before, and I realised I would be getting the best that people had to offer without a catch, and not "Pay $30 to unlock more features" like Quicktime, or "Here's a trial version of our software for 30 days, but you'll have to pay if you like it." iWork. I support the philosophy and the community behind Ubuntu. There are some niggling things I don't like, like the lack of consistent keyboard shortcuts, and some fit and finish things, but I am willing to work past them, and I know that improvement isn't far off since Ubuntu has a new release every six months.

And, as a bonus, Ubuntu resurrected my old hard drive when I decided to wipe it and start fresh. It didn't save my data, but I was able to use the hard drive again. No SMART errors, no slow corruption, nothing. It's been running strong for a good while now. Ubuntu saved me from getting a new drive.

dgray_from_dc
January 10th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Like Chibone, I started off computing with a 286 and DOS. Moved on up to Windows 95 and 98. I was dissatisfied with Win9x's server capabilities. I experimented with Redhat 3.4 (I think) in 1998. Didn't like the lack of software mangagement in early rpm. (Easy installs horrific uninstalls.) Found and liked Debian and the deb package system better than rpm. Fought with Debian for hardware support. Tried early Knoppix which had no hard disk install at the time. Then I saw this distro with a funny name gaining popularity on Google. Checked it out, been a Kubuntu/Xubuntu fan since Breezy. Tried Mepis, didn't like it, came back. (K)(X)Ubuntu simply rocks!

Sef
January 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Moved to Community Cafe: Recurring Discussions.

dekeller
January 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I used Solaris for years (1983-2003) and then I retired. My wife had her computer loaded with XP and I got sick and tired of fixing things when she forgot to upgrade her virus scanner or the registry got messed up, so I checked out Linux on the net and heard favorable things about Ubuntu. I got a new computer that came with Vista. I only needed 1 week of that before I decided to switch to Ubuntu. Then I got my wife hooked using the system. Now I have Ubuntu on both systems and no dual boot.

drunkardivan
January 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well... this is going to be a little long, but bear with me. I've been using a computer since the CP/M days, and I'm 32- I started young. Late in 2005, I bought a Vaio laptop and wireless router. My wife got used to having my computer around while I was at work, so about a week later, she got an eMachines laptop. This meant our old workhorse desktop PC basically became our daughter's computer. All were running XP. Fast-forward about 8 months- the hard drive on the laptop started getting weird- running slow, hanging up, refusing to shut down, weird processes, etc. At the same time, my wife's laptop decided to just die for no apparent reason. Well, after recovering the data from the dead laptop, I knew as a long-time Windows user how to fix it- installed the recovery CD, wiped the hard drive, and re-installed XP. Started in on the desktop, and a little Googling kept throwing Linux answers up to my questions. I figured I was just asking the wrong questions! Kept looking, kept getting these weird Linux things. Finally, I decided to look a little more at Ubuntu, as people on various message boards were talking it up. Found out I could run a "live CD", which I'd never heard of. So, download, burn, try it on buggy desktop. Naturally, it worked like a dream. It was quicker than it had been in years. Then the wife's laptop decided to die again. Rather than wiping it out, I used the live CD, and- guess what?- it worked. Well, all except the wireless card. Got to the root of the problem there, which was a nasty little bit of malware. Got rid of it through Ubuntu, and decided then and there to make it dual-boot. The wife was thrilled, except that her wireless was gone. I tried, but I couldn't get NDISWrapper to work. A lot of Cat-5 later, she was back in business. And, with Ubuntu being virtually impossible to screw up when not operating as root, we could let our 2 1/2 year old son play games, which was basically his wildest dreams come true. It finally hit me one day that I was going out of my way to use the Ubuntu computers rather than my own with XP. So, I installed it. And haven't looked back.

It hadn't fully hit me until I installed just how much quicker Ubuntu was compared to the live CD. I was floored. Still am, when I think about it.

My computer's still dual-boot, but I've only used XP a handful of times in the past few months. A few weeks ago, my wife got frustrated with her lack of wi-fi, so we got her a new Acer running Vista. She likes Vista, 'cause it's "pretty". But the new Acer let us pass her old laptop on to our daughter, who doesn't mind that it's wired, as she's not allowed to take it into her room. And after a clean Ubuntu install and a wireless network card, the desktop became our son's computer for games and Noggin.com and such.

So, to recap, out of the four people in my family, my wife runs Vista, my 9-year-old daughter dual-boots, I dual-boot in name only, and my not quite 3-year-old son refuses to touch any computer not running Ubuntu. I think he'll be a lifelong OSS guy.

jr3us
January 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
A very roundabout path that started in 1980! I came out of college in 1980 and began using the UNIX command line from a terminal. I used MSDOS, Win3.0, Win 3.1, OS/2 until in 1994 I started on a project that was using linux! The first distribution I used was Yggdrasil. Back then it had to be booted off a floppy disk to run off the live CD. I have used all the major distributions since then, including Mandrake/Mandriva for probably 9 years. I switched to Ubuntu once to try Dapper, but returned to mandriva until Fiesty arrived and this is my current desktop linux. I have now relegated my windows 2000 and xp home (legal licenses!) to virtual machines.I currently also keep an IMac where I try out new distributions in virtual machines.

BenTyrer
February 10th, 2008, 02:00 AM
It's great that so many(!) People have opted to share their stories with everyone else, and I'm having a field day reading them all :)

While all these stories have been shared, I've moved from Ubuntu, to Linux mint, to a brief spell of Vista, then XP, and now back to Ubuntu!

Looking forward to hearing more stories from you all,
Ben

JeffoOfMetal
February 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
"Oooh, an operating system different than Microsoft Windows that doesn't get viruses!"

Aquaman420
February 11th, 2008, 06:22 AM
My best friend told me about it, The main seller for me was the whole against the grain thing. Never really followed the pack.

highfructose327
February 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
windows XP crashed on me so I searched on how to fix a damaged .dll I read to use a Ubuntu live cd to mount the drive and replace the file. I did it worked, then after thinking about what had really happened, I repartitioned my hard drive and loaded Ubuntu. Quickly my XP partition became dead space and Ubuntu has been it since 6.10, I formated my XP partition to ext3 and have tried a few other Linux distros I still prefer Ubuntu, and I think because that is what I started with. Linux works I have not had to buy new hardware when an upgrade is made everything still works. It was a good move for me, Ubuntu has impressed me from day one and I like the D.I.Y. attitude, I have felt encouraged to know and learn why and how my computer and Ubuntu work.

gprime27
February 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The virtualization aspect of it. We run into alot of servers using just windows 2003 sbe and they have no redundency or anything. We came up with a solution to virtualize and have a backup server on top of it.

imT
February 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
i'd say that xp brught me to ubuntu, well actually forced me to look for something better; is outrageous to reinstall again and again cus of the lagging.
with ubuntu it basically dosen't happened to lagg or to get spywares or other win related craps, just works - at some point i could say is actually boring, everything just works; well that is my experience with ubuntu...

markp1989
February 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
i fink it was a combination of curiosity and boredom, im glad i gave it a try

kool_kat_os
February 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
My uncle is a Customer Support Engineer for Cisco and he used a linux desktop and i wanted one too.

bruce89
February 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Wikipedia strangely.

AndersonCouncil
March 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Errmm.... because is actually works!

switchblad3
March 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I was happy with xp, then when they announced vista i decided i didn't fancy shelling out more money and looked for an alternative, started using SUSE until my HDD died. When i got a replacement HDD my mate pointed me in the direction of Dapper, decided id give it a try before i installed SUSE again, Ubuntu feels comfy (and is so much more enjoyable than Windows) so Ive stuck with it..

K-Soul
March 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Becoming fed up with Gentoo!

Yeah it was my first long term success with Linux, however portage is slow and a simple update not given the proper provisions won't break, but will shatter your system.

I've been hooked since Dapper :guitar:

DeVonne
March 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Viruses! mainly why I picked ubuntu tired of them just started actually using it today but im happy!

I love theres no viruses or malware and spyware
I love the recovery allowed me to fix a grafic problem
I love this forum!
I love learning
I love the freedom
I love not having to worry about things like the dcom exploit
I love its wide range of uses

and heres a list of other reasons people may goto ubuntu or linux for that matter

FREE!
Change your hardware a tad bit? well what!? windows wants to call you a pirate
Like someone else said no needed drivers to get higher resolution then 800x600

MAINLY THE COMMUNITY AND USERS
Also the fact its all open source and there is a forum like this,

I can go on all day lol,
but the security is a main role :)

cardinals_fan
March 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I was using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (now THERE'S a catchy name) when I finally lost it. I tried to remove Windows Update (which was crashing whenever it updated and stalling my machine)... and found I couldn't without killing the OS. So I switched to Linux for extra control and haven't looked back.

mac9416
March 29th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I was using XP and have always been interested in Linux. When I saw an article in PCWorld about Feisty Fawn, I immediately went for it. Because it was free.
Now I have switched to Ubuntu Ultimate Edition because my Linux box is not hooked up to the net and most software is preinstalled.
I LOVE IT!!
:guitar:

Wobedraggled
March 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hopped over after Suse/Gentoo. Was sick of portage and I despise rpm.

OctavianBlue
April 1st, 2008, 02:25 AM
I worked at a computer literacy/recycling place called FreeGeek where everything was open source. We built new systems out of old parts and every system we build we installed Ubuntu on it. I realized the beauty and wonderfulness and have been dual-booting ever since (I still need my occasional fixes of Rome total war ;))

Istonian
April 1st, 2008, 02:29 AM
My parents heard about linux about 6 years ago from a computer store. They said something about it then and I thought nothing about it. Then 5 years later I thought. I wonder what linux is like. So I googled linux thinking linux itself was an OS. I didnt know about different distros. So i tried ubuntu because it was the first result that came up. I downloaded and installed it and I never looked back to windows.

Edgy Eft Fan
April 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
I too used win 95 then 98 then finally Xp. i had never heard of Ubuntu but i tried Suse and Linspire, then Freespire.
My local pc shop had a note on the door looking for people to start a linux club at the local College.
I gave him my email address and a few weeks later i got an email to go on a certain date. When we started, we were given a free copy of Ubuntu to try at home.
This i did and i was immediately converted. I have 2 pc's, My main one has ubuntu feisty fawn (had a few probs with gutsy) which runs like a dream.
I've tried the live cd of Hardy heron and its perfect as a beta so roll on the stable release!!! :guitar:

Jadephyre
April 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I installed Ubuntu just to see if i could get the hang of it well enough to ditch XP and Vista.
Before that, i actually tried Vista on this Machine here (Acer 5050 Laptop) and it was sluggish as hell... even after upgrading the RAM to 2GB's it would still not run smooth, neither the 32Bit Version, nor the 64Bit Version (you can use your Key for both Versions).
Then i stumbled upon Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 after that.
I'm now running 7.10 with Compiz Fusion (with FGLRX) and working WirelessLAN, freaking every Vista-Fanboy out who simply bought the OS because of the "nice effects".

The only Machine that still has Windows on it (XP, not Vista) is my Gaming Rig.
As i need Windows far too often to play Games with it, i simply cannot ditch it, and a dual-boot system simply is not feasible on it at the Moment as i would not use Linux often enough to justify a Linux Partition.
Maybe that will change as i grow older and play less Games.

Foster Grant
April 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Bought a new laptop with Vista. Vista had trouble with my laser printer's driver. Vista accessed the drive all the time, even with indexing turned off. Vista kept corrupting previously-set-up laser printers in the Printers folder; problem did not clear up by switching from the MS driver to the manufacturer drive.

Ubuntu found my laser printer and set it up automagically. Ubuntu didn't have X errors on installation. I don't have to recreate a printer all the time because the OS has corrupted the last one. And Linux doesn't access the hard drive all the time.

I've played with an endless series of Linux distros. Ubuntu is the first keeper.

Pijits_1
April 17th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I need change, my family had completely switched over to macs and I decided 'hey' why not try out this linux distro i keep hearing about. Now here i am with a mac collecting dust on my desk and I feel fine lol.

Also i remember using a linux distro when i was really little. I can only remember the tux racer game but damn those were good memories...good times.

Jadephyre
April 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Oh and another thing: With 2 Gigabytes of RAM in Linux, there is hardly any swapping, since the OS does not clog the entire RAM after Startup, like Windows does so well...

digger95
April 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
To be perfectly frank, I switched from Windows to Linux when I realized how much pirated software I actually had on my machine. I don't think I personally know a single Windows user at my school that doesn't have at least some pirated software on their computer. Stealing is stealing, and I decided I'm not that kind of guy. Now I do it the open-source way, or I don't do it at all. :)

levi007
April 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
In the past, I played around with Red Hat 9 and Fedroa 4, but I could never my NIC to work, and what is a computer now a days without access to the internet?

I then got a rootkill virus running Vista. I tried to restore it, with every trick i knew, but I knew, my only hope looked like a fresh reformat and install. It just so happens, the Gateway I bought didn't have a serial for Vista, so i booted up in safemode, and decided to download Ubuntu, as that is the distro my friend uses, and says that it has great hardware support.

I always wanted to learn how to 3d model, and the idea that Linux has Blender, turned me on quite a bit.

I am using Ubuntu now for about a week and I LOVE it. Sure I have a bump here or there, but learning a completely new OS will take time i'm sure.

It looks like I'm here to stay. My only frustrations are from my ignorance, and the occasional game won't play on Linux.

The community here is awesome, and willing to help out in about 3 seconds. I think THAT itself should "sell" ubuntu.

abuakel
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I was with my HS class at GSU for a Model UN conference and my friend brought his laptop with him that operated on Gutsy.. A week later I installed it and got a few pointers and basics on how to run it.. and I've been hooked ever since.
Macs make me cringe.. [-( it hurts my heart to see someone on Mac.. and Windows is just plain boring to me now.

cardinals_fan
April 26th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Macs make me cringe.. [-( it hurts my heart to see someone on Mac..
So true...

IHATEDLINK
May 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I first heard of Ubuntu in CNETTV, Tom Merit was making a video titled "Try a different operating system". I like the idea of an alternative to Windows and, it was free, what could i lose? So I googled "Pros and Cons about Ubuntu" thats when I found out that UBUNTU HAS NO VIRUS!!!! WOAHHH!!
I also liked the Live CD thing. So I burnt a CD and try it, I didn't installed it back then, I was afraid of touching stuff I i didn't have to.
But a few months later my windows rebooted by his own onto the Blue Screen of Death and i got an error message saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" each time I rebooted I got the same message so my first thought was "F*CK!!!! MY 6 GB MUSIC LIBRARY! and then DOUBLE F*CK MY 10 GB PHOTO GALLERY!!
And then the light, So, my Windows is broke, what if my files weren't? UBUNTU LIVE CD!!!
So i booted from the live CD and backed up all my files on DVD's and when I was about to shut down the machine i saw the install button and started thinking, why not? Windows is already screwed up anyway. And Clicked.
So that's my story. I Love Ubuntu sins then.

climatewarrior
May 8th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I came mostly because of curiosity and because of beryl. I stayed because of the free software philosophy and because its fun as hell.

gsiliceo
May 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I love your story IHATEDLINK, it was something like that for me, i tried edgy and i coulnt install my video card or something that today it would be simple for me, anyway i got frustrated in my first attemp and went back to windows, 6 months later, a virus got me a nasty one, and i say **** it, then it came feisty and tried again, this time y tried harder got my video to work, and ever since then i've been using linux in my pc 90% of the time, the other 10% is to do my graphic design in windows.

Im so happy with open source, today i got my first customized kernel compiled and working, its fast and i love it that way.

IHATEDLINK
May 10th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I love your story IHATEDLINK, it was something like that for me, i tried edgy and i coulnt install my video card or something that today it would be simple for me, anyway i got frustrated in my first attemp and went back to windows, 6 months later, a virus got me a nasty one, and i say **** it, then it came feisty and tried again, this time y tried harder got my video to work, and ever since then i've been using linux in my pc 90% of the time, the other 10% is to do my graphic design in windows.

Im so happy with open source, today i got my first customized kernel compiled and working, its fast and i love it that way.

That's the way you have to deal with Ubuntu!
If you tried hard, try harder. (then post your results in the forums so future user with the same problem can fix it easily)
LOL

brwrdrvr
May 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I was actually running/learning PCLinuxOS before using Ubuntu. I was trying to learn/work with the Xorg config file when I hosed it. I was new to Linux and couldn't figure out how to get it to boot again. As I couldn't find my install CD for that distro I found an old Ubuntu Live CD. I think it was Edgy and decided to install it. Installed fine and even let me know a new kernel was available for installation. Installed the new kernel then reboot. Then the updates came. I can't remember how many, but it was a lot. Knowing windows like I do, I remembered thinking I was going to be sitting here a long time with several reboots in my future. I was astounded that the reboot didn't happen until after all updates were downloaded and installed.

While watching it install and looking around after installing, I noticed a few things that indicated good laptop support. Since my old Elite Group was sitting there with a prism3 card in it I decided to load Ubuntu on it. Everything worked! Even my wireless card, which was a bit sketchy in PCLinuxOS which wanted a $20 donation to get to the good repo to get the correct drivers. Since I was not familiar with manual installs at that time I was planning on spending the cash after I got done with my XORG experiment. I have been an advocate for Ubuntu ever since. Yes, the nanogods work in mysterious ways.

Desterie
May 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
My journey to Linux started out on Ebay of all places. I was looking for a cheap used computer for my son (6 year olds don't need new computers) and when I typed XP in the search engine, stuff for Linux would come up. Usually with a sinister looking penguin with a flyswatter looking at the MS butterfly.

The cost was usually in the $6 range with shipping and so I spent the 6 bucks just for the curiosity factor. Actually I paid like $30 and a guy sent me 10 different CDs. I toyed with it for a while, Debian, Suse, damnsmall, puppy... just to name a few. I liked SuSe best out of that particular batch. But nothing in there to make me leave XP.

Then came Vista. I never actually tried it myself, just had many freinds around me have all kinds of hell with it. So off to ebay I went in search for a XP disk for a friend. Now a new distro had come out that had been dubbed as Linux XP. Now that sounded like something worth 6 bucks to check out, plus it came with Ubuntu 7.10. (I never did find a legit copy of Win XP btw)

Well I had already ordered myself a new computer. I was dreading the switch to vista at the time. So my computer came in and I left it in the box for an extra 10 days (I am serving in Iraq so it takes a while for mail to get here) until my LInux CD's arrived.

When they arrived, I opened the box to my shiny new Dell and flipped it over. With screwdriver in hand I started removing screws and swapped out the hard drive. (Yes, I know I could have dual booted, but I wanted NOTHING to do with Vista).

With much anticipation, I insterted the Freespire disk. The computer came to life. I toyed around with it a bit, and it reminded me of the Suse distro I had a couple years earlier. I gave the other disk a fair try. I had never heard of Ubuntu, but I had never heard of Freespire either. I jsut got it because they said it was like Win XP.

So with a bit of skeptisism I put in the Ubuntu CD. It looked nothing like XP. Actually reminded me of my ex-girlfriend's Mac. But it had all the aps the Freespire seemed to have and it didnt look like XP.

I liked the look and feel of the program, it seemed to fit me and did I mention that it didn't look like XP? I checked out the Ubuntu website. Saw the help I could get, saw the forums, read the stories of places making the switch to Ubuntu. I knew Dell was offering an alternative Linux OS to Vista, but didnt know which one. I found it was Ubuntu. The more I toyed, the more it seem to fit me.

After a few hours I realized that Freespire brought my computer to life as I had expected. Ubuntu did more than bring my computer to life... It awakened me as well.

Is this the end of my story?? Oh no, it's just the beginning of a new journey.

C!oud
May 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Bought my first computer about two years ago with windows XP already installed. At first I had no problem with windows as I didn't really know much about computers but after a while I started wanting to get more out of computer. Started trying to customize as much as possible and soon started learning how to hack. Would hack my friends computers to help plug up holes in their security and would hack my own to test my own security. It was then I realized how windows was literally almost like a open window that you bought anti virus and installed firewalls to try to patch it up. Talked to a guy on Soulseek and we were talking about how much we disliked windows when he suggested to me to try out Linux. After researching about Linux for a few months the rest is history and now I sit with Ubuntu,and Linux Mint on my computer and I'm never going back.

bigdee973
September 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
i first started with a suse 9 live cd that my friend gave me at work, he talked about linux up and down saying it was secure etc. well i tried suse/ linux for the first time and i wasnt so happy because as a newbie i was unfamiliar with compiling software etc and i was totally lost on how to install the simple things like flash. so after getting used to suse (keep in mind i was having horrible times installing simple things) for a while i kept on hearing about ubuntu is the best etc etc and i decided to give it a try and installing software on the distro was easy as can be. i didnt have to add repositories to yum... things were as easy as sudo apt-get install and the add/remove had a ton of software that i used. Ubuntu had software that i needed like video/dvd playback. ntfs partition reader/writer. gstreamer and flash...and everything seemed to install beautifully with no problem while in suse i had to compile packages,find dependencies individually, and waiting for the software to compile took forever and ever. i was a noob to linux i think i might have used it wrongfully but after using Ubuntu i realized it didnt have to be complicated. so i stuck with it. i couldnt use windows xp because every single time i would go browsing on the web i would always catch adware,spyware, malware or viruses. and i had enough with the insecurity and reinstallation of windows every 2 months. i havent had to reinstall ubuntu since i first installed it back in 6.10

geogur
September 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
linux users in my area use it so I tried it.I was using xandros / mandriva / redhat / knoppix / slackware / . Ubuntu is the new toy for me to try.

lowstand
September 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
:) I have tried Ubuntu before ver 5.10 for some reason but then went back to xp however my big gaming pc died last month dell wanted way to much to fix the issue lol , so i started using this older pc crappy lil thing
on xp its a intel 2.0 i think it is an a 3d acel card built in well gaming was not working for me not in the graffics end i was used to so i got bored remembered i had this old install cd of 5.10 so i took the 120 hd out the dell poped it in here booted it up an then learned there had been changes made so i dl the 8.0 iso burned it to disc an here i am mind you still having the 3d acel issue but no worries i am learning linux again an having fun reading an learning thinking about busting out even older pc's an installing a server an setting up a few plain websites an maybe some file share an maybe i will go ahead an learn more about programing with c++ an so on even better yet i may figure it all out after awhile an try to help others learn in my area i beleave thats how it will go saving my cash to get a new duel core lol an if it all goes well between now an then i will put ubuntu on it to :popcorn: Hopefully i will stick this one out i have had a few lil install issues with lil programs like skype have not gotten it to connect as yet but still working on it . Thats how i got back on the program an i have enjoyed the last 3 days on ubuntu awsome changes have been made an it even updates itself lol awsome

jasontu
September 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
My story is probably far sillier than most.

I inherited a CPU and a video card from a friend who had upgraded, and I got it into my nut to spend the extra $200 to build a new system.

I use my PC for 3 things: web, office, World of Warcraft.

I had dabbled in Linux before and knew that it could surf the web and do office work just fine.

I bopped over to WoWWiki and typed in "Linux" to see if it could play the game (which takes up about 90% of my computer time.) The article talked about this "Ubuntu."

I didn't have the extra $150 to drop on an OS, so I figured I could get a cheap WoW box if I at least tried Linux.

The rest is history.

mike1234
September 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I was a long time MS user (1989). Around the time of Fedora FC3 I started to take Linux seriously. Used FC3 through FC8. I also used SuSe, Debian, Knoppix. Stayed with Debian until Etch (FF lack of). Moved to Ubuntu around version 6. I finally got tired of dual booting with Windows because of Windows issues. Antivirus, spyware, adware, updates, etc. Just drove me nuts babysitting that p.o.s. Starting with 7 have been running only Ubuntu. Now 8.04 and I hope next month brings something equally good or better.

M.

eragon100
September 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I tried to install vista.

Newuser1111
September 20th, 2008, 12:38 AM
What brought you to ubuntu?
1.I wanted to know what "LINUX" was.
2.Compiz

brunovecchi
September 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I had to run a linux-only simulation program and couldn't get cygwin to work. At the same time, my PC had gotten its worst virus case ever, so I made a backup and slammed an ubuntu Edgy live CD in. End of story. :)

demios
September 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Windows is slow as hell. As a recording artist attempting to layer record, this pisses me off to no end. My friend told be about the magic of linux and I was saved then and there.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get recording to work adequately yet, but I think I'm pretty close. If Intrepid works with Pulse better than Hardy, I should be all set. The only thing keeping me from ridding my system of Vista altogether is Sibelius.

Canis familiaris
September 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Interest...

Watchtow3r
September 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
The same way I find out about alot of things. I was searching using the Google toolbar, I searched something that started with a U, and I saw this. I was drawn to the fact that it was so high on the list, and because of the name.

I actually have found that out- THE NAME UBUNTU INTRIGUES PEOPLE. It makes them more willing to try it. Whenever I tell people I use Ubuntu, they say "what's that?", and get interested in it. WHen I tell them I use Linux, no one cares. Of course, no one knows what Linux is either, just that it's another OS, but it has a negative connotation with it.

steveneddy
September 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Constant reoccurring problems with Windows 2000 Professional.

lukjad007
September 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
I had no idea that Linux existed. I didn't know that Windows was not part of my machine. I met someone who used Linux and graciously gave me his time to teach me. I am now a staunch Linux User.

iwc5893
September 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
After getting tired of MS using it's entire customer base as beta testers and releasing non-finished products to the market, I started looking around for a better OS.

I tried Fedora and liked it and CENTOS but didn't like it as much, but was having issues getting the wifi card to work on my laptops. After much googling, I found a thread in this forum that actually worked for my wifi. I now run Ubuntu on 4 of my 7 computers, two of which it is the only OS on there.

It is very easy to use, and the support forum here is the best.

Kevbert
September 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
With Windows XP, having to renew antivirus and spyware software subscriptions every year. Having to run spyblocker, antivirus, rootkit, adware software every week/month. Defragging the hard disks regularly. Problems completely removing software without having to run regedit afterwards.
Having to phone up Microsoft to get a new license key to re-install the operating system on the same PC or after a hardware upgrade on the same PC.
With Ubuntu/Linux, free software, no more viruses to worry about. Loads of helpful support from the forums (MS could learn from this).

doorknob60
September 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
A bad first experience with Vista...and instead of going with XP which constantly got slower and I had to reinstall too much, I decided to give something else a shot, and I'd heard Ubuntu was a good place to start with Linux, and I'm really glad I tried it :)

OutOfReach
September 21st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well, it really all started when my cousin and I had our PSP's and we wanted to hack it and put some custom firmware and other stuff on it, etc.. when we stumbled across a form of Linux for the PSP it ended up bricking both of our PSPs :) . BUT it did make me explore Linux a bit more until I found Ubuntu, and now here I am.

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
First there was Dos

Then there was windows 3.1

then windows 98

then xp

and vista.

My computer history is similar to yours ;) except thanks to my folks I did have to use ME for a while...

I had always been curious about Linux, but was afraid to attempt a dual boot for fear of screwing up something, through a bit of web perusing I discovered Ubuntu, and virtualbox as well. Tried out ubuntu on virtualbox, then after reading up on it I tried wubi. I liked the way it felt on my system, and really enjoyed compiz-fusion. Once I realized I rarely booted into windows except to game, I decided to read up on partitioning and go for it. Now both mine and my hubby's comps Dual boot Ubuntu/Vista. I'll probably get completly rid of windows someday, but right now it's just not an option.

stinger30au
September 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Ziffnabb

Same here

Greyed
September 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I started on my family's CoCo. When it died out that brought me to MS-DOS on a Tandy 1000 w/2 3.5" floppies. Seeing my interest my parents bought me a 386sx-16Mhz machine with an actual, honest to $DEITY 40Mb HD! Capped it out at 8Mb of RAM and got my BBS running under DesqVIEW so I could use the machine and have it host the BBS at the same time. Win3.1 couldn't do that. Then came OS/2 with it's DOS compatibility layer. That ran like a champ.

Somewhere in there I got a Netcom account and learned about the wonderful World Wide Web! No, wait, sorry, that was still 2-3 years out. Back then it was Gopher and USENET. I even went so far as to noodle out how to import USENET feeds into my BBS for my users.

Then one day I visited a friend and he was installing a new OS. Some horrible unpronounceable thing that sounded like a yak clearing its throat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux). Anyway, after seeing that work I wanted it on my machine. But before getting around to doing that it went away so I decided to use Slackware instead.

After some time with Slackware I thought to myself, "Wow, compiling everything is annoying, there has to be a better way!" Hey, this Red Hat thing has packages! Installed Red Hat... well, tried to... about 8 times... gave up. Hey, that Debian thing has packages, too! Installed it and it worked.

Fast forward about 10 years and I'm thinking "You know, 10 years ago having to configure everything by hand for a free OS was find and dandy but, geez, that's grunt work the computer should be doing. If only there was a distro build on Debian's solid core but with a tad more pragmatism when it comes to quality of life issues."

Tried KNoppix which threw me back to Debian but at least proved it was possible. Then Mepis. Then some other Debian derivative whose name eludes me. Then there was an influx of people on D-U asking about some Ubuntu thing. I poked at it once or twice then on the third time, and after finding KUbuntu, it stuck. A Debian based distro that take sensible, pragmatic steps to taking out the grunt work of the low-level configuration of the machine.

There you go. My computing history from 4k through to 2Gb in RAM, from 1mhz to 2.5Ghz in speed, from 180Kb to 400Gb in disc space. :D

waspbr
September 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I guess I have to blame digg (http://www.digg.com) for introducing me to ubuntu.

I saw a few articles about gutsy and that sparked my curiosity, I was a little tired of a few of windows' quirks, speacially with having to use anti-viruses that slow down the computer and all that jazz. However my first experience was not very rewarding, I tried to install gutsy beta and i ended up losing my MBR. since I had most of my stuff in a separate drive that was not a huge proble, then about a year ago, I tried again, this time I made sure I knew every step to be taken, some youtube videos helped. Thus I isntalled gutsy in one of my partitions and voila... here we are now. my new laptop, is running intrepid/hardy/vista and my desktop is running winxp/linuxmint/pclos/intrepid.

intrepid not so much atm, but yeah, I am hooked.

elijathegold
September 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have been trying Linux on and off for a few years. Never that seriously and I was (and to a degree still am thanks to virtualisation) what I refer to as a distro bitch. I used to chop and change more often than the British weather.

Then as was almost inevitable, I encountered Ubuntu. And I liked it. Although I am now using Workbench (a derivative of Xubuntu) I thank Ubuntu that for over a year now the only windows in my house have been where they belong. In my walls.

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Was very happy with XP at work (very stable) but my computer was getting slower and slower. I had seen ubuntu logo of a computer geek friend of mine, but didn't ask anything about it. Vista was about to come out and I was complaining to another computer geek friend of mine. He said, why don't you try ubuntu? He burnt a disk and helped me install it. The bootup speed was faster than vista, and it seemed intuitive and quick.

My geek friend had all the gadgets (multiple LCD screens for the different desktops). Ironically I now use ubuntu more than him. Indeed, when I 1st started, I thought it was just a lean and fast version of windows. Now I would find it impossible to go back because of the versatility of ubuntu, and I get a panic attack about viruses every time I get on the internet with a windows OS.

VitaLiNux
September 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, as simple as I was fed up with Micrapsoft and its keep-'em-all-hostages policy.

scratman
September 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
My route was fairly circuitous.

My first taste of Linux was about a decade ago when my father tried it out. He bought a copy of Mandrake, because we were on dialup, and a download was out of the question! He couldn't make it work properly, and went back to Win 98. Then he tried a version of Red Hat, again with limited success. One day he stumbled over Ubuntu, and installed it around 6.10. He's had it ever since.

Myself, I'd used his PC a few times, and didn't hate it, but not really considered a swap. Then my PC began to play up, major upgrade (read motherboard and processor), or a new PC. Managed to find a decent PC in my price range (~300) but it had that Mightworksoft View thingummy on it. Had a word with the vendor, and he took the license key off, but let me keep the drive, with the option of buying the license later, try before you buy kinda thing. Tried it for a few days, and I didn't hate it, but I was unimpressed that it took roughly 5 minutes to go from power on to checking emails, coupled with the fact that it felt 2GB was a too little to work properly, and took up a third of my HDD.

I'd been using Open Source Software for a couple of years, and my father suggested I chuck in a LiveCD to test for hardware compatibility. Tried that, installed it the next day and dual booted for a week, then ditched Vista and went Ubuntu. Got itchy feet after having discovered that Linux could be a viable option, and tried Sabayon, but wasn't won over. Then, courtesy of Youtube, I discovered Compiz/Beryl, and my conversion was complete. My mates all want to know how I make Vista do the cube thingy!!!

To be honest though, that might not have been enough to keep me. What makes me stay is the versatility, customisation options, no concerns about viruses, knowing that the most it will cost me to get any new software is a cup of coffee and twenty minutes!

cybercookie72
September 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Greetings...

I came over to the DARK side around 2000 ish when I saw Linux for the first time in the form of a Knoppix CD (ver 1.4 or 1.6). It was love at first sight, I just could not believe that it was up to me to shape the OS.

I then started school and yeeaahh...all the CDs that came with the books only played nice with windows. So, I kept windows around a few more years while I played with Linux.

I am happy to say that my main comp is now ubuntu 8.04 and I only run windows (have it on a removable drive) when one of my friends needs to use my comp and is scared of a real OS ;)

OH and Im pretty sure that some sort of windows OS is on my xbox360 hehe...to bad, Im sure Linux could ROCK the xbox360 world....

lisati
September 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'd heard of Linux, and about a year ago I decided to check it out. Now I use it for my day-to-day stuff, and am well pleased. And these forums are great!

Stan_1936
September 25th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Well, I saw a show on TV of a guy restoring life to his "doorstop" by installing Mepis on it. I liked a weather gadget I saw on his screen so decided that I would give Mepis a try. A little later in his show, he said Ubuntu was the most popular version of Linux. I was introduced/brought to Ubuntu.......

John164918a
September 25th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Some geeky kid with ginger hair who went to anime conventions dressed as a girl tried to peddle me an Ubuntu 5.04 cd ages ago, so I ignored him. A couple of years later I go to uni and get a laptop with Vista on it! The rest kind of follows logically.

So I get annoyed at the fact that I cant change any permissions on vista on my own computer, and that it couldn't communicate with an xp machine, so I couldnt LAN any files across (Actually Nortons fault), and that the progress bars exponentially decay towards the end as though they bare no relation to how long any given task will actually take, and that I timed **actually timed this myself with a stopwatch** fifteen seconds between pressing the start button and the start menu appearing.

I braved Ubuntu 7.10 and in doing so I installed some cool stuff, things went wrong, I sorted them out by looking on these forums, and in doing so became a complete geek who wont shut up telling people to get it.

BTW these forums are excellent. Most people have had the same problems as me and even if they havent there are loads of really helpful knowledgeable people who give you the answer.

John164918a
September 25th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I started off dual booting ubuntu and vista, but then installed PCLinuxOS as well, and ruined the vista partition by accident, which was a shame. I had been looking forward to deliberately and ceremoniously formatting it!

ursus262
September 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I honestly can't remember how I learned about Ubuntu. I was intrigued with Linux for a long time and felt tempted to try it, but didn't quite have the courage to take that step.

My current PC, a Dell Inspiron laptop was supplied with Vista on it, and what a right pain it was too. It was slow, awkward to use, and restrictive in what it allowed to do with my own machine which, after all, is my property. I just found that I had little control over my PC and I resented that.

I went out to PC world, and bought a replacement hard drive for about 40 and simply did a fresh install in that. My windows hard drive was a backup, but I've put that in a caddy and reformatted it for use as a backup store.

All in all, I'm delighted with Kubuntu (I use the KDE desktop instead of Gnome). It works straight out of the box, wireless as well.

stevecaldwell
September 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
So, whats your story? How did it come to pass that you turned to Ubuntu? are you dual-booting? Share your tales!

I've got a mix of computers in my household and in use with a community non-profit organization that I support (a Unitarian Universalist congregation) -- Windows XP, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu Linux. With the exception of one Windows XP machine that has both Win XP and Ubuntu 8.04 on it through Wubi, none of these computers are dual-boot machines.

I read about Ubuntu on a Unitarian minister's blog and decided to check it out.

I have recycled 3 obsolete Windows computers (1 AMD Athalon, 3 Pentium III) and "repurposed" them as Ubuntu computers for various purposes.

One older computer is used for audio podcast recording -- we take sermon audio from the PA system and record it using Ubuntu's built-in sound recorder application. The .ogg file is edited at home using Audacity (an open-source cross-platform audio editor) and then converted into .mp3 format for podcast use.

The 3 other old computers are used for office use -- word processing, email, web surfing.

I also purchased a Dell laptop in late 2006 before they started selling Ubuntu laptops. I purchased it with an Intel-brand wireless card with the intent to convert from Windows XP to Ubuntu Linux. In spring 2007, I was able to get Ubuntu Linux 7.04 to work with my laptop and I've been using it exclusively with Ubuntu since then. It currently has Ubuntu 8.04 installed on it. I use it as my personal laptop for day-to-day use -- web surfing, email, writing, updating the church web site, editing podcast audio, etc.

I have blogged about my personal experience with Ubuntu Linux in my personal life and my church life here:

http://liberalfaith.blogspot.com/search?q=ubuntu

My church still uses Windows XP for some software that is Windows-only -- they like Microsoft Publisher for the newsletter and event flyers. Yes -- they could switch to Scibus but they are satisfied with Publisher at this time.

They also like PowerChurch (a customized "vertical market" database application for use in churches).

I have one Windows XP machine at home that I use for some specialized uses that are not available in Ubuntu yet -- tax software and gaming mostly.

I hope you find this useful.

zombrax
September 30th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Long time sucka for Linux and always been wanting to get away from m$ and their monopoly. Heard about Ubuntu, tried it and totally fell in love with it!!!

I guess with future development and more support for this flavor of Linux, I would hopefully be one day be totally free of m$.

alohadiaz
September 30th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Hello All,

I am 33 years old and I have using Ubuntu for about 1 month now and let me say I LOVE IT. Not to bad mouth windows but I really needed a change from the constant BS that I felt I was getting from windows. Let me be clear I am far from a computer guru but I am willing to learn and take suggestions in order to become more familiar with linux/ubuntu. I have Ubuntu 8.4 on my eee pc 900, On my Dell Insperion desktop I have Ultimate edition 1.9 as well as on my Acer Extensa 5420. As soon as I my new Acer I installed UE and love it. My ultimate goal was to try and buy a MAC but currently could not afford shelling 1300 bucks for a laptop. What I really love about Ubuntu is that it is free and there is always a new OS coming out or updates available. I also enjoy the help when having issues with my computer. Although I do not remember all the Sudi commands for adobe or java but no matter what i need i search via google and there it is. Someone is giving step by step instructions on how to use it. Well there it is theres my reason and this is like my 1st or 2nd post.:guitar:

cha0sthe0ry
September 30th, 2008, 04:30 AM
About the same as the original poster of this, I was a Windows lover, then found my computer that came with the "Designed for Windows Vista" sticker on it really wasn't all that compatible with it. Needless to say that sticker, and Windows' monopoly on my computer, were both removed in a fit of rage. I dual-boot now, primarily because I own a Zune (it was the Halo 3 Ltd. Ed., I had to have it! ;) ). That's my story

Sephoroth
September 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hmmm...I had been curious for quite some time about Linux (I don't really remember how that started) but hadn't ever got around to trying it out. To me software compatability and user-friendliness were two major concerns (the latter of the two was because I am not the only user of the computer). I also had wonderred if there was anything that the Linux community had that one could easily see was better than was present in Windows (I had not hated Windows nor do I hate it now).

Then I saw a Beryl demonstration on YouTube....

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
September 30th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Hello All,

I am 33 years old and I have using Ubuntu for about 1 month now and let me say I LOVE IT. Not to bad mouth windows but I really needed a change from the constant BS that I felt I was getting from windows. Let me be clear I am far from a computer guru but I am willing to learn and take suggestions in order to become more familiar with linux/ubuntu. I have Ubuntu 8.4 on my eee pc 900, On my Dell Insperion desktop I have Ultimate edition 1.9 as well as on my Acer Extensa 5420. As soon as I my new Acer I installed UE and love it. My ultimate goal was to try and buy a MAC but currently could not afford shelling 1300 bucks for a laptop. What I really love about Ubuntu is that it is free and there is always a new OS coming out or updates available. I also enjoy the help when having issues with my computer. Although I do not remember all the Sudi commands for adobe or java but no matter what i need i search via google and there it is. Someone is giving step by step instructions on how to use it. Well there it is theres my reason and this is like my 1st or 2nd post.:guitar:
Welcome! Good to have you as a member of the community. Glad to see that you do searches for answers to your issues with Ubuntu. Remember that your question/problem has most likely been asked/answered before so a quick search will most likely provide you with what you need.
Good Luck, Sally

trojvirus
September 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
our company uses a software that run only on linux(we're using red hat), last month, it had a problem on gnome panel. Since our IT admin resigned, and nobody knows linux, I tried to search in the internet for a solution, and luckily, just one command in the so-called terminal, it fixed the problem. Our manager decided to give me a training in linux system admin. I already had my 1st six hours linux tutorial last week, can't wait to learn more. Then, I've chosen ubuntu for it's simplicity, it's perfect for me as a newbie. I already installed ubuntu in my pc, and browsing here in the forums to learn more.

drdread
September 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
starteed on c64 to amigas - not in a big way - had child of the 80s' - bottom dropped out of that
msdos xt era forced!!!
windows 2X - I know this - workbench!!!
steady but uphill battle with billy boy,
always been a bit of an anarchist, so - saw other OS, but no experimentation till linux and ubuntu v5, but not the full monty,
thru the versions till v7 and became addicted, now on ubuntu hardy heron, still have the OTHER! but totally pisses me off!
only reasons to use it, a publication in ms pub - till I redsign, and programs -"notetab", total commander AND irfan view, which I love!
any problems - the solution is always to be found out there! with a bit of effort!!!
I like the speed of loading and execution and there are are almost always to be a solution to be found for alternative programs, the dedication of those out there providing what is truly a better alternative !!!!

I AM WON OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1cewolf
October 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
When I was in college, one of the guys in my hall dual-booted Ubuntu with Windoze XP. He always spent a lot of time telling me about Ubuntu and all you could do with it.

I didn't really think much about it until Windoze almost hosed my hard drive after I tried to customize my desktop appearance a little "too much" - I tried to install a third-party patch to loosen up some of MS's draconian policies on what can and cannot be changed. I remembered Ubuntu, so I popped in a live CD, recovered my data, and then wiped Windoze off my drive and made the switch to Linux then and there. I switch distros every now and then but I always seem to come back to Ubuntu.

Linux is freedom. It's great being able to do whatever I want!

opendevlite
October 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
my MS Windows XP Pro was an OEM, when i knew that when it was reinstalled on a different motherboard, the license would expire, sh**!

I still can you use it though, when i knew about how easy it is to install ubuntu, i bought a separate hard disk, and installed ubuntu there and dual boot.

If i only knew about linux/ubuntu i wouldn't have bougth Windows.

prestoN_
October 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, Ubuntu does tend to 'just work'

Are there any other 14 year old's using ubuntu?

Ben :)

Me :) and i'm having a problem with it! :[

2j4ez
October 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
What brought me to ubuntu?

A friend at work nos i dont use window$ anymore he decided to try ubuntu he said it was very good so i decided to try it. I realy like it best thing of all is its free!

I stopped using XP 3years ago and it was the best thing i did! My main machine is a apple mac (intel version).

My laptop uses ubuntu 8.04 it had Visual Improvement To Apple on it that was the first thing i killed,learning new things in ubuntu all the time and its great

If i buy a new pc it WILL not have window$ on it now realy fussed about games so much i have a xbox360(the only thing micro$oft has done right)

jimi_hendrix
October 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
my friend brought me to linux in general and the helpful community brought me to this distro

cmay
October 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hey all,

I'm a semi-newcomer to Ubuntu, and newcomer to the forums, and I want to get to know the community a bit better here :)

going into details makes my head hurt, and I'm sure any Windows-to-Ubuntu Converts know what I mean anyway!

Ben
i ran windows millenium and liked it very much. then i had to "upgrade" to windows xp and i simply after six month got so tired of windows i installed linux. from a cd from a book with red hat linux 6.0 . so after a week i invested in a mandriva linux boxset. it must have been mandriva spring 2006 .

i did not know anything about linux so that explains why i would start up a redhat linux that must have been about ten years old.

but i left windows since i did not like license terms i ,do not trust microsoft and i do not like all the virus and spyware i aways had. everytime i had been attacked by a vira or trojan i had to reinstall and then call microsoft to beg them to register my product and after five times i simply told them i would never ever touch anything their company had anything to do with again. so their need to control customers drove me away. and my windows copy is a legit OEM. never used it again. maybe i have discarded the cd i cant remember. it does not matter anyway. i am on *nix systems from now on with all the pleasures and disadvantages there may be.

CLomax
October 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
For me, my use of Linux started with Gutsy 7.10 last December. It was slightly turbulent for me to get used to how it works and I had difficulty getting things working but I was willing to go through all that because I had faith that Ubuntu really was for me.

I discovered Ubuntu while using StumbleUpon, it linked directly to the site and I must say I liked what I saw. Especially since it was at this time I was disliking Microsoft's practices, Windows' vulnerability to viruses and the fact that I had to pay in excess of 40 a year to protect myself from them.

I actually found out about Ubuntu well before I decided I'd give it a try due to the all too common 'FUD' (Fear, uncertainty, doubt), I soon overcame that, installed it, and realised that I wiped my Windows partition...

At first I wasn't amused since I lost a lot of files but as I used Ubuntu more and more I grew happier. I felt safer. I felt more productive and I felt more in control of my computing. In fact I was so happy with Ubuntu, I even gave a presentation on it when I was at the Wales Summer University in Lampeter; no one knew what the hell I was talking about but I didn't care, I was being the change I want to see in the world.

So I suggest that if anyone reading hasn't tried Ubuntu yet, install it while "accidentally" wiping your Windows partition.

stereomuffin
October 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'm slowly walking away from Windows, still use it for making music (Ableton Live & VST etc.) but XP is my last Win OS.

Linux is the future, thats for sure.. couldn't stay behind much longer ;)

ricemark20
October 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I used different linux distros on and off for a few years, then around fall 2007, I decided to try ubuntu. I liked how easy it was to install restricted drivers. It was the only thing I could use to get dv footage off my video camera. I use it for everything now.

meeples
April 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
my windows xp machine broke (something to do with the ram) so i replaced the ram after resinstalling windows cause i thought it was to blame, but because at the time i had no internet access windows xp was useless to me, my resolution was off it wouldnt work with my printer and i didnt have any decent software to do school work on.

so when i was aon a friends pc i had a look at different OS's, and ubuntu was the one that kept coming up in google so i ordered a cd. havent went back since :)

mamamia88
April 29th, 2009, 03:48 AM
bought a laptop with vista felt like it was outdated as soon as i got it home. didn't want to pirate xp so installed ubuntu

Jekshadow
April 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Re-installed Vista 3 times (first time corrupted sys files, second it screwed up my usb and network drivers, third it gave me the BSOD on startup) over 4 months. I had Ubuntu as a server for a year and wanted to try the desktop version. That was my chance. BTW, i got the server edition to begin with because I knew windows servers suck bad, so I did some research and decided on Ubuntu (I debated between debian, ubuntu and red hat for a while).

Kilon
April 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM
The Beautiful Wild African girls..... Hmmmm..... Delicious!!!

bluelamp999
April 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I make my living by programming corporate Microsoft applications so I'm no MS hater.

But on my home system I was getting increasingly p1ssed off with all the CPU-hogging anti-virus stuff you have to keep on top of.

I first tried 7.10 but didn't really like it (poor dual monitor support for example) but finally dived in with 8.04. I upgraded to 8.10 and, apart from a few issues, have stuck with it.

I like the Ubuntu ethos, I like the the fact of no AV overhead and I just like the OS. As a techie I find it interesting and, at times, challenging.

I still have an XP partition for musical stuff (Reason doesn't run on Linux and my external E-MU sound module needs to use PCMCIA) and I have a VirtualBox XP machine with Visual Studio, Oracle, Crystal Reports etc. for development work.

But I'm essentially Ubuntu and loving it...

Ammok
April 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Fed up with windows basically, using it on my games machine at the moment, trying to get doom 3 running. :)

liamnixon
April 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My friend left an Ubuntu 8.04 CD at our house (he was talking about Linux a bit) and I decided to check it out, with no knowledge of anything Linux whatsoever. As a result, I had a mildly infuriating intro to Linux becuase I had to compile and install the Madwifi driver for my Atheros card. It took me a while to figure out exactly what the package manager did, too. ;)

Must not have been too bad, becuase I haven't looked back since I started! :D

Noise...
April 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM
After a while of using Vista, it started to really suck performance-wise. I started to get crashes now and then, and 1.3GB of RAM usage running idle was absolutely unacceptable.

I had been curious about Ubuntu for quite a while, and when I found Ubuntu Studio, I downloaded it. It took me a while to "get the courage" to install it as a dual-boot.

Now, a month later, I've booted into Vista four times. Total. I love Ubuntu, and as soon as I get my games sorted through Wine, and my iPod Touch through Amarok or another manager, the Windows partition is going.

wolfdale
May 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM
I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars for a retail version of Vista, especially since reviews show no/little benefits to XP, so I opted to try linux. After many weeks of trial and error (plus many reinstalls), I was sold to the idea that linux (Ubuntu) is the future. I can listen to mp3's, watch movies, surf the internet in ways that are equivalent or better to windows XP. I initially was using Ubuntu as a holdover until windows 7 was release but I may bypass windows altogether.

pbpersson
May 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
I have been a geeky computer nerd since 1983. I knew about Linux and tried a few distros between 2000 and 2005 and it just was not friendly enough - but each time I attempted Linux I learned more.

Then in 2007 I was thinking about trying Linux again - I mentioned to someone at church about wishing Linux was friendly and he said, "Oh, you have to try Ubuntu, you will love it" and I sort of brushed it off, didn't think much of it.

Then I was talking to someone at work and they said, "You have to try Ubuntu, it is GREAT" and I thought......AGAIN with this Ubuntu? :o

So I tried the version that was current at the time, Feisty Fawn, and I have never looked back.

Now I have three machines here running Ubuntu: Hardy, Intrepid and Jaunty. They are sort of like the three musketeers in my house. :)

kahunamahalo
May 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lost my XP install disc so I thought I'd give it a try. Never looked back...

Paul1974
May 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
i am now a duel booter xp / ubuntu :)
i am tired of reinstalling xp every 18 months when it chooses to go on strike, if it works at all, it is very slow (XP ). :(:confused:
i love ubuntu just need to learn how to do things all over again.

:KS:popcorn:

XubuRoxMySox
May 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I got really frustrated with my computer telling me what to do all the time! I'm thinking, "Waitaminute here! The machine is a tool. It's supposed to do what I want done - not tell me what I must do to keep it satisfied." Which is a lot. Windows is very demanding! It insists on antivirus, anti-spyware, updates, security patches, lions and tigers and bears, oh my! When I end up working for the computer instead of the other way around, it's time for a change!

My first thought was Mac. Omygosh, it's expensive! But everyone I know who uses Mac loves it. I was about ready to take that plunge when I decided to revisit Linux (free - why spend tons of money on a Mac only to risk having it end up just like what I already have?). I never took Linux seriously before because I was scared of "the command line." I need point-and-shoot simplicity. So I googled "Linux for Windows users" or something like that and found Xandros and Ubuntu. One is free, the other is not (it's still a heckuvalot cheaper than Windows or Mac though). I decided to risk no money on experimentation, and downloaded Intrepid. It's awesome! I've played around just for fun with some of the other forms of Ubuntu (Xubuntu and Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org)) and learned a little along the way too.

Today I'm playing with my own version of "Ubuntu Lite" just for giggles (it's Crunchbang - minimal Ubuntu - with the super lightweight LXDE (http://lxde.org) desktop on top. Eeerily "Windowsish" with clickable icons and all, but definitely cheaper and probably faster than Xandros.

Not that I needed a "Lite" Ubuntu (which Xubuntu was supposed to be), but I have an ancient old 'puter which I wanted Ubuntu on - and it works with blazing speed on my own li'l adpatation of Crunchbang + LXDE.

Ubuntu rocks! I've never looked back. And oh by the way, my computer instantly does what I want it to, and asks nothing in return!

-Robin

benj1
May 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
i came to linux out of curiosity, i chose ubuntu because they post out free cds.
i stayed with it because i like it, you're free to do what ever you want, it treats you like an adult rather than a child, if it downloads an update which requires a restart, it will wait till you want to restart, rather than restarting automatically. its stable and you don't have to worry about viruses

Marko723
May 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I simply can't afford to keep paying Bill Gates. Usually have between 4 and 5 computers at any one given time. The cost of purchasing Windows for each machine is breaking my bank account.

Traditionally in the past I've moved hardware around in each box as I purchase 'bigger and better' replacements. The off-casts then move down to the other boxes. Now granted I haven't verified this, as I'm only running XP, but their proposed inventory checks for hardware changes appears to force the end user to buy a new copy of their OS if 'too much' has changed. I'm not about to play that game.

Also what if I 'junk' a box in the future, and replace it after 3 years. Apparently I can't move my legit copy of windows over to this new machine. I have to purchase a new copy of Windows....... I think NOT.

This latest machine I built is my 1st for transiting over to Linux. I may have to keep one windows box around for the kids and their school needs, but I'll look at that once XP is totally dead and buried.

Spiritous
May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Because, Like most, I'm tired of the BS and my friend has used it since 2005, and he's a "Techie" :) So it must be good, He was right.

gnomeuser
May 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
I have been a fulltime Linux user for over a decade, currently I am with Ubuntu primarily because of it's well maintained Mono stack.

I disagree with quite a number of things in Ubuntu, especially the begging users to install proprietary drivers which I find poor judgement from a security stance but mostly as someone who does QA.

Also I greatly dislike dpkg because it feels fragile to me and synaptic is not really userfriendly. I am hoping PackageKit will fill the gap more naturally and help expand integration into nice places.

All in all though I believe in Ubuntu's potential, I think the things I don't like will be smoothed out over time as we all pull in the right directions. The seeds for greatness are there.

Sliiice
May 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I had just gotten into rebuilding PCs and the computer I had just repaired had XP on it, it was slow and well boring. So I decided at random to try something new. I downloaded the Xubuntu iso burned a disc and I dont regret it. Its a very fresh OS, looking forward to learning enough about the Linux kernal to provide to this community.

P.S Does anyone have a good thread/site explaining Installation, the Terminal Codes, and the Bare Basics.

P.P.S What does Sudo stand for?

sanderella
May 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
My geeky son-in-law was talking about Linux at the beginning of this decade. I saw a box for sale on eBay with Breezy Badger installed for a few pounds, bought it and never looked back. Later, I got myself a cheap Dell laptop, discarded Win XP and installed Ubuntu again.

Although I am a little old lady with no knowledge of computers, I have happily installed all the upgrades/releases since then, and never come unstuck.

I love Ubuntu and the community.:)

shark1997
May 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
First downloaded Ubuntu when windows xp was getting really slow. Deleted windows, have benn happy ever since!

mwalimu54
May 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
The last straw:

A heavy-weight antivirus upgrade that slowed my somewhat old computer to an impossible crawl.

The other straws:

1. Money - I'd been using FOSS apps for a while so it was the logical next step. I knew that MS was killing support for XP and couldn't afford to upgrade to a new computer. (My old computer wouldn't handle Vista or 7 by a long shot.) Since then I have upgrade my computer by kept Ubuntu 'cuz I like it.

2. I just like to be weird and different and have my friends ask, "What's that on your computer?" Then I can tell them it's a free OS that is way more secure than Windows and runs faster too.

3. Speed - Ubuntu runs faster for me.

4. Philosphy - I'm not terribly anti-Microsoft, but they were getting a bit overbearing, especially with WGA.

rpwdh
May 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Heard about it when I was lurking on another board.

I liked XP until the "improvements" started making my laptop run slooooow and the Vista "upgrade" that came with it is annoying. The Win7 beta is basically the same thing so I burned the ISO for to a disc and here I am.

I'm downloading 9.04 now so i can do a clean install.

The idea of change is a bit scary but I think this will be good.

Zoowey
May 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Vista welcomed me to Linux :)

Basicly my story goes that I had a relatively old but powerful Sony Vaio that was nearly 8 years old. I had Windows XP on it and I had no real problems. Then when Vista was released I got caught up in the hype of it's much better than XP and will overall improve your computer experience and XP was quite old so I believed the hype and bought it.

I bought a Vista upgrade DVD of Home Premium so I could simply upgrade XP to Vista like you would Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, which worked flawlessly by the way, but when I upgraded at first I found I had to uninstall many things before I could even upgrade, then once I finally upgraded I found I had a nearly unusable OS. Firefox was completely fried and wouldn't even start, I tried everything including completely uninstalling it and reinstalling but that didn't work so I kinda just used IE cause I still had work to do but I found it to be very unstable. I don't know if that's how IE normally is or because of the upgrade, but I just know most my programs were in a non-working state and I ended up doing a clean install.

After the clean install I saw that several of my hardware wasn't compatible with Vista and Vista was running some kind of generic drivers which weren't for the specific hardware but worked... terribly. The ATI drivers had choppy performance and playing any game was more frustration than actual fun.

So essentially I got tired and thought to myself, well Vista is new and made for new hardware, and honestly it was time for a new computer. So with the help of my friend we built a custom PC with the most modern Vista compatible hardware that we could afford. No, this ain't no cheap computer though, it cost a total of $4,000 so this ain't no crappy hardware. That $4,000 was for the tower itself, the box essentially. No extras, so it must of cost at least $4,800 for everything.

My friend and I were confident that this beast would own Vista so I bought another Vista, this time 64-bit Ultimate Edition and when I installed it, it saw and detected all my hardware and overall went very smooth. It wasn't until I started updating my video driver when the whole thing just went straight to hell. The ATI drivers, with every new release would get worse and worse, I eventually couldn't install the ATI driver above version 8.10 because anything above that version would blue-screen me before I could even log-in.

And to continue with driver issues I never got my printer to properly work, after hours of searching I found a solution that allowed it to print but with only half the success rate. If I would click print, sometimes it would tell the printer to print, other times it wouldn't print no matter what I did, the only way to make it print again was to restart the whole PC. I literally just cried myself to sleep every night just because I knew I'd have to wake up and face Vista again the next day.

After around a month and a half of dealing with Vista I decided to give Ubuntu a try, and now I have been using Ubuntu for 5 months, I started off with 8.10 then later upgraded to 9.04 when it was released and I have been so happy to wake up everyday and know that today, my computer will just work... that's all I ever wanted, just work.

blazoner
May 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I first began using MS DOS in order to run Adobe PageMaker in Windows 2.4 in college. Prior to that, my household computer was a Colecovision ADAM.
If only I'd had some $$$ to invest at the time, I'd be a made man today. I was a big MS Fanboy for many years - all the way up through '00. I couldn't stand ME, and was relieved to see XP come out relatively stable.
Then came the divorce.... She got the computer, and I went shopping for one of my own. I bought one with decent specs from a third party. My copy of XP was an OEM copy without the license key, but I had bought it with cash.... I started pricing copies of Windows, but my budget had already been blown with the PC purchase, so I asked a friend about this whole Linux thing, and he pointed me at an old Mandrake distro. I couldn't even get it to boot, so I just limped along with what I had. Inevitably, after 6 months or so, Windows failed on me. I was desperate. I re-tried Mandrake, but saw that the build was ancient. A Google search brought me to Ubuntu 6.4.
At first, I was upset about loosing all of my Windows software, then I began to realize that the majority of it was simply customization of the Windows desktop. Seriously, who needed Object Desktop when they had Beryl, and virtually any dock they could imagine....
The rest is history.
I now have 9.4 on my main PC, and an XP machine for guest use. I use Vbox on occasion with XPMCE or '98 -both fully licensed. I don't even bother to run anti-virus software on my VMs, since if I hose one, I can always use another copy.
Hmmmm.... Why do I still have an XP machine at all? Might have to do something about that.... :twisted:

OGpmpdog
May 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hi All,

MS Shitsa brought me to Ubuntu.

My PC is relatively new, with 2 GB of RAM and a Dual Core processor...1 year later, Shitsa runs painfully slow, crashes whenever it feels like it, and lets not talk about trojans and viruses.

I felt stupid paying 130 bucks for DRM!!!! and woresening performance.

I just wanted a change and decided to give intrepid a try...

6 months later, I have booted shitsa about 3 times...

As a new ubuntu user, it's impossibly difficult when installing/upgrading software...the instructions from the community are not beginner friendly...I still dont know how to upgrade to vlc 9.8.

The developers MUST find ways to enable easier software installation for new users...After this is accomplished, I can finally erase shitsa.

Dont get me wrong...the community support for Ubuntu is unparalleled...keep up the good work!

djdarrin91
May 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I bought Linux XP on Ebay must of been about 2004 and got Ubuntu 5.10 free!didn't really use either one but about the time Ubuntu hit 7.04 i became an avid Ubuntu user. I actually still have that old 5.10 cd :)

google_girl
May 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
I had to take a UNIX OS class and the disc that the instructor gave me was Ubuntu. I installed it on my old notebook. Then I freaked out becasue I didn't know how to find stuff, and was lost when it canme to using a terminal. Then we got to writing scripts, and fell in love with what you can make a PC do with just a simple script.

akakingess
May 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Working on Cisco cert and also wanted to have the 'linux' experience to put on my resume. By the way, is there a "linux certification"? Thank ya'll in advance for any advice although I know this wasn't the place to post the actual question :)

Hodgson
May 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
4 years ago, I got drafted into an IT department and 6 months ago was made full time. That being the case, I felt the need to learn more about computers. To me, that meant learning something about Linux as well.

I installed Ubuntu 9 dual-boot with WinXP a little over a week ago and so far I like it. Installation was easy. Network configuration was automatic, requiring no effort from me. Email setup on Evolution was no different or more difficult than on Outlook or Windows Mail. I look forward to learning a lot more about Ubuntu and Linux.

(BTW, I have XP and Ubuntu 9 running on a 9-year-old computer--P3 + 512MB of memory--and I'm satisfied with the performance of both of them.)

dagrump
May 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Built a new box & didn't want to buy another copy of XP. So I started playing with Linux distros, ran into 5.04 it saw my wireless card. 5.10 was due shortly, after that I've stuck Ubuntu on everything.
Now, I still have XP for games can't run Crysis, FEAR, or the like with wine. My TV tuner doesn't seem to like Ubuntu, so that box has XP also, but it hasn't been booted up since March Madness, couldn't watch a game so I recorded it.
I have a bunch of old hardware that I slap together, I sure won't pay for an operating system for those & there is such a wide range of distros, you're bound to find something to fit your needs.
I guess it came down to I'm a cheap old fossil, & it served me well. I like my Ubuntu install, it does things I'd never thought of messing with in XP.
Oh, back to games, Doom3, & Quake4 run great, thanks to ID having linux installers.
So it's XP for 2 things & Ubuntu for everything else.

Sef
May 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.... Actually it is 9.04. Nine being the year and 04 being the month. It is this way because ubuntu is a timed release, so it is released twice a year: April (04) and October (10.) Thus Kosmic Koala, the next release, will be 9.10.

lenamtl
May 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
My new mini9 Dell with small HD fails and decide to try Ubuntu instead Windows XP.

I really like Ubuntu!

balloooza
May 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Came from fedora (I know, not windows)

I was drawn by the forum that I frequently used with fedora (I realy did not know ubuntu was a distro, I thought ubuntu forums was just a forum in the spirit of the word Ubuntu)

So once I found out the whole deal, I was only 12, I switched to ubutu 7.04, and then grabed 7.10, I am an all ubuntu person now.

Only recently have I converted our whole house to linux (choosing mint, because of the fermiliar ubuntu backend, and the ease of teaching an os with a single "start menu")

Although we have an imac

akoskm
May 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
What brought you to ubuntu?
After using another distribution for 4 years? Dunno, maybe the color theme. :)

JK3mp
May 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Actually it is 9.04. Nine being the year and 04 being the month. It is this way because ubuntu is a timed release, so it is released twice a year: April (04) and October (10.) Thus Kosmic Koala, the next release, will be 9.10.

LoL wow...never really noticed that... :p . Anywho...mostly i switched cause i got my HDD with (ugh vista) Windows on it deleted some how ( dont remember really...xD) and i couldn't find the recovery disk (Thank god, i would've never learned the wonders of linux) then a friend of mine offered me some of his linux copies. He gave me Debian and Ubuntu Hardy 8.04, and Hackintosh (MacOS for PC). Well no luck with Debian as far as wireless or ANYTHING really, so i popped in ubuntu, Worked like a charm, didn't really feel like going for the hackintosh. Only issue with ubuntu hardy was wireless drivers, which i got sorted out next day anywho. Pretty much it, i primarily use Fedora and Arch Linux now but i still run ubuntu on one of my laptops and test out some of the new releases.

boyofford
May 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Got a new computer just after vista came out and it ran naff.
it ran no faster than a computer less than half the spec i had at work running XP, and crashed A LOT!
So thought i'd try linux, tried a few different distros with mixed results.
Gutsy was just out about this time and run well, but it was this forum that really swayed it, brilliant for a newby like me.

heroidi
May 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I Just tried something new something with freedom and i loved freedom so I loved it and I wanted something else than windows something without viruses and BSOD so Ubuntu was the ideal thing

lordyosch
May 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Actually it is 9.04. Nine being the year and 04 being the month. It is this way because ubuntu is a timed release, so it is released twice a year: April (04) and October (10.) Thus Kosmic Koala, the next release, will be 9.10.

It had never occurred to me that
1. Going from .04 to .10 is mathematically unusual
2. There was a link to the date

Oh well, things you learn!:lolflag:

nathang1392
May 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM
first cnet.com, then ubuntu.com. if cnet recommends then there is something good going on, and they were right :P

ivikas
May 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hello all,

It's nice to hear about all the post here.I started on Windows XP then my first Linux try was on redhat 7 and soon began to love it especially the gnome and kde desktops.It has been a long journey with Fedora Core 1 to 5.Then through a chat i got a link to ubuntu and on it now to install jaunty

Mr. Hibba
May 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hey all,

Ben

Read about Linux from a friend. Actually, I didn't try it immediately, though. After later having him tell me that alot of Linux distros have a GUI (I really didn't know much about Linux at the time), I began to really consider it. Not sure how long it was after that, but I bought a PCLinuxOS CD. Ran it from LiveCD, it seemed pretty nice at the time, but I didn't install it. However, on another, older computer I had, it went really slow on the LiveCD (Granted, LiveCDs are typically slower than hard drives, but my computer specs were just too slow and it didn't seem like it was doing well.) So, I looked for a version of Linux that would run on an older computer, and came across Puppy Linux. Worked a bit better on my hardware, eventually installed it, but a bit later it was uninstalled because I thought that someone may have wanted to buy my computer, and I was basically just using it to play around with Linux. (We never quite met up, and I still have that comp...)

Anyway, I think I read about Ubuntu a few times on Wikipedia and, eventually, tried it. Somehow, I noticed how good a distro was, and am now running it on two computers. One dual-booted with 9.04 and XP, other one with...not sure, Ubuntu 8.10 currently, Windows, and maybe another Linux, but I don't really know.

Deciduous
May 5th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm a student at a local community college and we use Windows all day long so I wanted to try something different on my home computer. I had taken an introductory class in Unix several years ago so I was familiar with the basic shell commands. Did some research to see what the best Linux distro for beginners would be. I tried Knoppix and OpenSuse without success. Was about ready to give up but decided to give Ubuntu a chance....and it worked! Got myself a couple books on Ubuntu at Barnes & Noble last fall and have been learning just a little at a time. Even started some Python programming.

djhvt
May 11th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Really two symbiotic reasons based on the fact that I'm a poor college graduate lol.

1. The software is free and always up to date, without any cost to me. I used to be a Mac guy and with the launch of OSX I found it was harder to keep your Mac relevant than under Classic. I had the same Mac desktop from OS 7.8 through 8.6...and was even able to Shoehorn 9.1 onto it. Where as my laptop which had 10.1 on it was basically useless by the time 10.3 came out. It gets expensive buying 100 dollar updates every 18 months when you had already paid over a grand for a computer to begin with.It used to be worth it when youd get 5-6 years out of a mac as apposed to 3-4 out of a pc, not so much anymore.

2. Because Linux runs on such a wide array of platforms you can save a lot of money on hardware and it needs to be replaced less often. I run a Pentium 2 at home and have a Gbook for a laptop (a full featured laptop for less than 250.? ya lets see anyone touch that), both are still not maxed out on the ram and will probably be my computers for years to come all because Ubuntu tries to keep their software running on old machines instead of releasing updates that brick them before their time to keep hardware sales up for themselves (mac) or for partners (windows).

starcannon
May 11th, 2009, 02:34 AM
1 weekend too many spent virus fighting instead of playing EverQuest. I'm not kidding. After a long week, and coming home hoping to unwind with Guiness and or Rum, and a 32hour EQ session, only to spend half of it fixing a computer (which I did all week for others) I finally just quit windows. Installed Ubuntu, got Cedega up and running, played EQ, and never looked back.

linsux
May 11th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I woke up one morning, and was like "Gee, a brown operating system would be AWESOME!". And here I am.

zeroseven0183
May 15th, 2009, 05:49 AM
The strong side of the Linux force brought me to Ubuntu.

Actually, I was also a Windows user just until 2007. Our IT director introduced Ubuntu to our team. My first Linux encounter is with openSUSE, then came Ubuntu as Gutsy Gibbon and the rest is history.

No regrets. This is the best operating system I have since birth.

whistlerspa
May 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
About 10 years ago I got a library book on Red Hat 5 which had a CD of it included. Installed it but couldn't fathom midnight commander (text interface).

Fast forward to '01 and Mandrake 7 and tried again. Worked pretty well but Internet and video hassles dampened my ardor. Stuck with Mandrake through 8 and 9 but lost the plot with Mandriva and was pretty fed up with dependency hell by then [with RPM installs].

Stumbled on Ubuntu 5.04 via a web search for new distros and have used every edition since up to 8.04. I haven't seen the need yet to go past the LT support of this edition and did have a bad experience with 8.1 on another box. I have tried others as well including Mint, Dreamlinux,GOS, SUSE and Fedora (OS Red Hat). I prefer Debian based (but curiously have never managed a successful install of either Debian or Free BSD) and tend to stick with Ubuntu as my steady desktop.

Font of Knowledge
July 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM
A freak dual-booting accident brought me to Ubuntu whether I wanted to or not. I tried dual booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 but when I went to adjust the Windows bootloader I accidentally unchecked a box that left Vista installed but wouldn't allow me to boot to it. Having no way to boot into Windows to ammend this mistake I simply deleted Vista for good and adopted Ubuntu 9.04 for good (stupid HP didn't provide me with a Vista installation disk to reinstall Vista, but I don't care because I love Ubuntu and am now finding ways to bend it to my needs).

aj_the_first
July 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well, I knew about Linux for a long long time, (my first computer was an IBM i386DX 22mhz with a 128MB hard drive and 16MB of RAM running DOS until I finally got a copy of Windows 3.1) and even had some experience with early releases of Fedora, but I was too lazy to try and deal with compatibility issues, it just seemed simpler to give into the MS machine and deal with windows.
And then I started to see better and better releases of Linux...
And then I started to experience more and more problems with windows: security, compatibility (the issue I was staying with Windows for) and then I started to have major issues with XP. And then I started to have major moral issues with Microsoft.
If it wasn't for a well-built Compaq that was running XP with very reasonable boot up/shut down and usability, I would have switched years ago.

But what actually CAUSED the switch? VISTA
The final straw that made me switch was trying to use Vista. After trying to "experience" OEM Vista on my new-in-2007 HP, I got so fed up with the three times daily reboots, and the constant freezing and crashing of nearly every program, that I realized that MSOffice had more compatibility issues with MSWindows than Linux could possible have with any of the programs that I regularly used anyway. I figured I was spending more time trying to get Vista to work and it was time that I should have been using to learn Linux, which turns out to be really easy, and is exactly what I have always wanted in a computer. It makes a computer fun again. CLI is easy and takes me back to my DOS days, which I didn't remember well enough anyway to make bad habits, so basically Linux was... freedom. It is a taste of freedom all over again. I have control of my machine just like I did back in the DOS days. I had pretty much forgotten how a computer worked and had turned into an MSsheep that couldn't work outside of what windows permitted me to do.
So it started with my wife. I have to use XP at the office, but her Vista computer had crashed and burned so many times, that it became a daily occurrence, so I convinced her to download a copy of Ubuntu and give it a try. She loved it. her comment: "Holy ****! I can get to any configuration or any tool within two, maybe three clicks. Vista didn't even have half these tools, and the few it did have were buried in secret menus and folders." So I tried next, and she is right, I love Ubuntu and I will never go back to Windows ever, not even a dual boot set up.
She recently got a new computer with Vista, tried to use it, but couldn't figure out where anything was, and within two weeks it was crashing daily, so she is already switching to Ubuntu again.
and now that we have switched, all the other stuff that comes along are just benifits:
Free software
Free support in this forum
Free upgrades and updates
Constant bug solving
Promoting GNU instead of Microsoft's evil empire (I always wanted to but was guiltily drawn to continue using Windows)
No viruses
I can write my own applications that actually work
I can solve my own problems
I love Linux
I want to say thanks to Linus Tordvald and Richard Stallman and the Ubuntu crew.

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I brought me here.
I've been dabbling with Linux ever since I discovered Redhat on the internet over 10 years ago. I downloaded Redhat over a dialup connection, it took 3 tries, between disconnects, and wife accidentally closing the download out, but I got it. When I discovered Ubuntu it was because I was actively looking for a good solid easy to use distro that could be our primary OS. It's been quite some time now, 5 or 6 years? I'm not sure, I'd have to think on it a bit, that its been our primary Operating System.

privatejarhead
July 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
my story if any of you are interested:

right around 1998-1999, my family bought our first pc, a then state-of-the-art NEC box with an AMD K6 processor (cant remember the speed, less than 600MHz though), a whooping 12GB hard drive, and 64MB RAM. it was are main and only computer for years to come, not getting a new box (emachines t6412) until 2005. wow, i've been using windows 98 and loving it up until recently...thats pretty old now that i realized that lol. anyways...

the emachines replaced our nec as the primary computer and with the xp home on the new machine, i fell in love with it. the only times i would ever turn on the nec was to play really old games like sim city 3000, but thats about it. then last year, i wanted to tinker with it to see if i could get any more use from it before having to ditch it, so i did a google search for lightweight modern OSes and found xubuntu. saw it, loved it, wanted it. even then, i couldnt do anything with it since my mom wanted the nec gone and i had no means to install xubuntu on it, so it went away =/. shame, i could have kept it and used it as a file server, but my original intentions was for it to be used as a secondary pc for homework and such. after that, i showed a little interest in linux in general a while after that. now that it's 2009, my family once again got a new computer (hp pavilion elite m9402f) and it's quite powerful, although it has vista on it and i cant get my games to work on it, so we still keep the xp machine around.

around may, i did more research into linux and wanted to try it out. again, googled it and saw that ubuntu seems to be one of the better distros now, so i was happy and went to its website, shipit, ubuntu 9.04. the free shipping said it'll come by the end of this summer, but surprisingly it came at the end of may (2 or so weeks)! i tend to judge products/companies based on how they treat customers and so far, i was loving this OS. i took the cd out, popped it into my xp rig, and tried it out a few times. i thought there'd be problems since my emachiens has ati graphics and some other hardware that plays bad with linux, but so far no worries =). im planning on installing ubuntu next to xp (for games and TI conect) and hopefully replace xp fully.

im also saving up for my own little computer to toy around with and at first looked at the compaq cq60, but because of the price and later reevaluation of what i mostly use a computer for, ive now decided to want a netbook. once i get my aspire one/eeepc (depending on which is cheaper when i have the $300), ill put ubuntu on that and have some fun with linux.

i was turned to linux because of a urgent need of improvement. i stayed because of the features, service, and community.

brinamaree
July 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Well i have an older desktop and had to reformat an old hard drive well i have an original windows xp pro cd and a key...

Apparently i have reformatted too many times or some sad excuse they have, so i cant use my key anymore.

Long story short, after being transfered like 5 times and being told they would call me back with a key and whatever other bs... I downloaded ubuntu and decided i would give it a try...

Love it!:popcorn:

Tipped OuT
July 13th, 2009, 04:45 AM
A simple YouTube video that showed Windows Aero Vs. Compiz Fusion.

JohnWesleyMethodist
July 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I was still using 98 up until 2008. Was sick of the file system problems that would result from the improper shutdowns because the OS just refused to shutdown properly. Not only that I was sick of the lack of compatibility with the modern web.

It was either buy Windows XP or try this new Ubuntu OS I have been hearing so much about. I researched it and tried downloading and installing Wubi but that didn't seem to work, but eventually I booted to a Live CD, liked it and installed.

Install was easy as it made it's own space on the drive, but it messed up 98's 3 partitions that I had so that one partition barely had any space on it so I reinstalled. I got a copy of Windows 2000 off the web - because my laptop has a license for 2000 so I figured it should be legal - and dual-booted with 2000 and Ubuntu.

I got sick of dual-booting and determined to leave my Windows partition behind with the help of Virtualbox and Wine. I can't run all my old games and apps but I can run the most important ones, so I am okay without dual-booting. I especially hated the long list of software and drivers I had to keep for 2000 for re-install. In Virtualbox I don't need any drivers for 2000 at all!

This all said though, I am not 100% happy with Ubuntu. Jaunty was sluggish on my laptop so I went to Hardy which doesn't have updated repositories even though it's "supported" until 2011.

I am watching the development of ReactOS. If that system ever gets off the ground I might be very tempted to leave Ubuntu behind. But as far as Windows? Ever since Vista came out with it's evil DRM and verification crap for XP also, I decided I would never run a Windows OS beyond 2000. If Adolf Hitler lived today he'd run Windows and ensure that all Germany did likewise. Enough said.

vinutux
July 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
it was 2005

i am inbetween XP and fedora (fedora core on those days)

and found ubuntu on a linux magazine here (india) called Linuxforyou

That was the begening of new age computing xperience 4 me.....

decoherence
July 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I was using MEPIS before Ubuntu came out because I got sick of repeatedly setting up Debian (which I've been using since Potato. I used various BSDs and IRIX way back before linux stopped sucking)

I heard that there were some Debian guys working on this Ubuntu project, and that it would aim to be a stabilized version of Debian Sid with really good autodetection, a six month release schedule and a whole whack of cash behind it. That pretty much sold it for me... I've been using it happily since day one.

JDShu
July 15th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Back in 2004, my dad told me about something called "Linux" which was Open Source meaning that things could be modified. He brought it up because China had made it the official operating system or something. I decided that it sounded interesting and asked a classmate at school about it. Turned out he was a big Linux geek and told me to drop by his house to get a copy of Linux. He gave me a copy of Knoppix which I tried and thought was cool, but since it was a Live CD I had no idea what to do. My classmate then burned me Fedora Core 3 to install which I did. Played with it a bit and lost interest. Classmate then said I could try out Gentoo, telling me it was the best distribution... had fun with that for days haha. I was a student who had lots of time. Then I heard about an "easy to use" distribution called ubuntu. Figured that I could install it on the family computer since it was easy to use.. lots of driver problems and crashing though. I don't think Warty was really ready for mainstream users yet... Played around with Gentoo myself for another year and eventually stopped using it in favor of gaming and a system that worked on Windows.

Cut to 2007: In uni and had been basically using Windows again. One day, in a moment of boredom, I installed Feisty on my laptop (since by now being l33t no longer important to me). Wifi didn't work, and I forgot about it again.

Cut to 2008: Again, randomly decided to try Intrepid. Everything I needed worked! Started splitting my time evenly on my dual boot.

This year: Updated to Jaunty. Awesome boot speed. Case closed and I'm using Ubuntu all the time now. My 14-yr-old sister saw how fast my comp was and asked me to install Ubuntu oh her computer. Did as requested, and she's happy too.

fredbird67
July 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I've been a Linux user for 4 1/2 years now and have no intention at all of ever going back to Windows on my computer. I had been a Windows user for close to 11 years myself. In 1998, I was watching TV one night, and there was something on there about Linux (don't remember the channel or show -- sorry!), and it fascinated me.

1998 was, of course, in the middle of the time I was using Windows. I had Windows 3.1 from 4/94 to 10/95, Windows 95 from 10/95 to 12/98, Windows 98 from 12/98 to 9/04, and Windows 2000 from 9/04 to 1/05. One night in 11/02, I was at Barnes and Noble and looked at a book on Windows XP, thinking about upgrading to it. One of the first things I read about was Windows Genuine Advantage, which I didn't like the sound of. Reading on, I saw that some hardware upgrades would cause WGA to fail -- and I had a HUGE problem with that, since each new version of Windows tends to require more and more memory -- just look at Vista! Needless to say, I found that disturbing, and then after a while, I thought "hey, what about Linux?".

I soon began exploring more in-depth just what Linux was all about, and also began downloading Windows programs that were also available on Linux to familiarize myself with them. I took my time with it, and every so often, I'd go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and look in the magazine section for any Linux-related magazines so I could check out the included Linux CDs and DVDs (I only had a dialup connection at the time), and I was impressed with what I saw.

However, for the longest time, I was still hesitant to fully make the switch. I was between jobs in 2003-2004 and was taking some classes at a local university where I was living at the time with my parents. The university had a deal with Microsoft where faculty and staff could get any Microsoft software through the university for free. Well, my dad is a history professor there, so I had him get me a copy of Windows 2000 for the .NET compatibility needed for a Visual Basic class I had.

Toward the end of 2004, I began to have some problems on my computer. Every so often I would get this error message and couldn't figure out why. I rebooted Windows 2000 to see if that fixed it. It didn't. By early 2005, they were getting more and more frequent, so I did a clean re-install of Windows 2000. Still no luck (I later learned it was a hardware problem with the Pentium III chip I had at the time). I then thought to myself "how about I install those Mandrake CDs I downloaded in the computer lab here while back?". So I went for broke and did it. Mandrake did not suffer from that problem at all, so from that day on, on January 5, 2005, I've had nothing but Linux on my computer. :-)

After finding a new job and moving to a different part of the country in March of 2005, I found a book+ installable DVD at Barnes & Noble of Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack. Still being a Linux newbie at the time, I bought it and went home and installed it, and enjoyed it no end.

Eventually, I found Mandrake to not be all that stable, so I switched to Mepis in 6/06. I liked it pretty well, although some of its default settings drove me crazy, but I lived with them (I didn't know how to change them). I then switched to PCLinuxOS 2007 in 8/07, which had default settings more to my liking.

However, when KDE4 came out, all that changed. Up until that time in 1/08, I had been a die-hard KDE fan, as Mandrake with KDE was my first introduction to Linux. I had tried a SuSE LiveCD of KDE4, and I found it to be VERY confusing to use. Even though PCLinuxOS and Mepis to this day have still stuck with KDE3.x, I was not about to tolerate a desktop that, to me, was confusing. After all, I thought "yeah, but what about when the time comes that KDE3.x is totally dead and gone?

I had dabbled with Xfce some just to get an idea of what it was like. In fact, I found a LiveCD of XFLD that had QCad on it, because my boss asked me to get the dimensions of a room at work for a remodeling project they were going to do, and I used that to do the job and was quite impressed by it and Xfce. I later learned that Xfce and GNOME both share the same GTK files and icon sets. I remembered the first time I had tried GNOME, using Fedora in 2004 (or was it Red Hat?). It was ugly and I couldn't get the modem dialer to work in it, either, so that naturally did not leave a good first impression on me, which is part of why I was a dyed-in-the-wool KDE guy for three years.

But after KDE4 came out and finding out just what a piece of crap it was (I hear KDE4 is getting better, though), I decided to go with GNOME -- and Ubuntu. I'd heard lots of good things about Ubuntu and at one time, I had tried Kubuntu, but I never was very impressed with it or its implementation of KDE at all. But once I started dabbling around in GNOME, I found that it's really a more well thought-out desktop than KDE, and I've been hooked on Ubuntu ever since. :-)

abansb
August 1st, 2009, 03:00 AM
I had used windows since windows 3.1. I tried ubuntu a few years ago and it seemed to difficult to me but then a few months ago I caught a virus that every time I would reinstall windows the virus was still there no matter what I did to get rid of it it was not going any where so I said the heck with and said I will go to ubuntu and try again well now it does not seem so difficult now. I am loving ubuntu more everyday

Love the features and the extras and what you can do with ubuntu like the compiz windows cube, conky and cairo dock and that it is open source and don't have to pay for any of the software like microsuck makes you do it is crazy to pay that much for a OS that really sucks

I am glad that Linux is much better than winblows and it is free can't get much better than that

No more Microsoft Windows for me ubuntu from now on. We have 3 computers 2 have ubuntu installed 1 is my wifes trying to get her to go to ubuntu now it won't be long and she will give in :)

tholynch
August 1st, 2009, 04:04 AM
My story's quite short, but I'm sure it's not done yet... :P

As far as I can remember (which isn't much) my dad always was a Linux user... I simply lived with it, but I wasn't really interested until I got my new computer two years ago. I then started trying to do things myself on my laptop, so I asked my dad questions instead of asking him to fix any problems. Now i'm starting to learn programming, and getting more familiar with Ubuntu.

I do dual-boot (unfortunately) with Vista, but I only go on Windows now and then, when I want to use a program that isn't available on Linux. I mainly use Windows Vista for things like Publisher (school work) and some games that don't work with Wine or Crossover.

I joined the Ubuntu community a yesterday hoping I could learn more by browsing the forums when I need help or when I want to learn something.

And up to now, it's been great! So thanks to everyone and especially to my dad who showed me this great OS...

Arkanus666
August 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Hi there!

I don't know if this is the correct place to introduce myself, but I wanted to do it somewhere because it looks rude and cold (at least for me) to ask for help without introducing myself.

I'm from Chile, a 21-year-old guy who wants to improve his English as well as his Ubuntu knowledge. So, I hope I'm wellcome and I'll enjoy the community.

Some time ago my dad tried to learn things about computers. He works as a cook... but he never liked his job. And now he found what he likes the best in this life; computers. A couple of months ago, he downloaded a software called Wubi, so he tried Ubuntu along with his Windows OS...

Two weeks ago, I had a problem with my laptop (HP Pavilion dv2000) and couldn't use the recover disks. I was so upset that I decided to erase everything and install something to make Microsoft angry because of the problem they caused, hahahaha.I ended up installing Ubuntu as my dad did...

Now, I'm learning (I think) and want to know everything I couldn know before about the tool I using... and I fell in love with my PC again... Thanks to Ubuntu!

I hope i wasn't too bored, but I wanted to be friendly... because Linux community has been friendly with me so far. I apologize for my English!

See you!

Dobbie03
August 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
I just became fed up with the constant drain on my pocket for software,the threat of virus' and the slowing down of my machine.

I love the look and feel of Ubuntu, I have two pc's and I have Kubuntu on one and Ubuntu on my other one. Like I said in an other thread there is no way I would go back to windows now.

cptrohn
August 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM
I had used Windows for a long while and always had problems that required re-installing windows and starting over again(windows NT) then a few years ago I bought a laptop that had XP on it.... it was ok, but was getting more and more frustrated with not being able to get my PC to do and work exactley how I wanted it to.... (unforutnately that laptop met an untimely demise due to a new puppy and a 2 liter of soda pop) and got a different laptop that had Vista pre-installed.... thats when my nightmares truly began with Windows... I had Plenty of resources 4gb RAM and a 250 GB HDD and kept getting constant crashes, freezes unwanted restarts, resotre points didn't work for **** etc.... So a friend of mine at work told me about Ubuntu and open source... it peaked my interest and then I started talking with some other folks that used linux on a sports board I used and then just decided WTF I'm going to try it....

And since I am just a stubborn SOB I decided to forego the dual-booting and just reformatted the whole HDD and went with it (So I would be forced to learn at a steeper curve.) And after almost a year I have been VERY happy with Ubuntu and Linux and have probably learned more about computers in the last year than I ever did with Windows... I even built my own PC a few weeks ago (something I always wanted to try but thought it would be too hard.) I am having more fun with my computers now that I think I ever have in my life..... I guess I was just looking for alot more freedom than Windows offered.... I caught the Open Source bug and I don't think I will ever look back now that my eyes have been opened to it.

MikeTheC
August 1st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Some guy with a double-barreled, over-under shotgun, a beard and a toothy grin out in the parking lot behind UbuntuForums.org. "Join us or die," read the sign that swung from the barrel of his weapon.

So I said "ok."

steve161
August 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM
My xp system became unstable and the recovery partition just disappeared. I heard about Ubuntu and linux in another forum and decided to try it for 2 days, before running out and buying xp. That was the last time I had windows.

Mx10
August 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
My windows XP crashed and I was too cheap to buy a restore disk, so I installed Ubuntu.

xenosaga456
August 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
i got really tyerd of getting viruses and stupid stuff like that so im duel booting so i can play my games

Alma-Lover
August 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
actually i just wanted to try it out....

then i fell in love with gnome....

then i started realizing how windows was crap....

then i became loyal to an OS that is safe, secure, reliable, and not suicidal....

sjelliott
August 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Hard drive failure on a pawnshop pc and no way to replace the pirated copy of windows. That was a long time ago. It still runs on the old pawnshop box attached to my TX for Hulu and Youtube (but a lot of the time I run GeeXboX from a live cd and use it as a media center) It also replaced the OS on may main computer. It has been a learning experience for me since I don't have a clue how any of it works. No matter what the problem I always find a solution on this or one of the other forums. I just finished installing Mint on a USB stick for use on my Dell Mini. Everything worked from the install, the only thing I had to do was go into the settings and turn on the mic. Believe it or not, it even ran Compiz. It's fun to show off. I still have to run windows at work, but I have a nice set of portable apps ( Firefox, Skype, Open Office, Sunbird) that make my desktop look and feel as much like Linux as possible, Drives people nuts when they can't find the taskbar, or all the icons. I have all the desktop icons hidden and just use a simple dock, of course I have my familiar Ubuntu background. Thanks for all the help.