PDA

View Full Version : openSUSE on Ubuntu forum members ..

emacsuser
December 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Normally, we wouldn't feel the need to post a forums announcement from another forum, but the actions of the Ubuntu Forums members[/URL] it addresses hurt everyone in the Linux community

Important Ubuntu Forums Announcement ..

http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=42667

orange2k
December 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
We have seen posts of "russian rullet for bash" kind of types before...
The warnings of the "remove everything" or "format c" kind of commands should recieve a sticky status in the beginner part of the forum for sure...:)

p_quarles
December 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
We have seen posts of "russian rullet for bash" kind of types before...
The warnings of the "remove everything" or "format c" kind of commands should recieve a sticky status in the beginner part of the forum for sure...:)
The link on the suseforums.net page (back to here) is to the note that's stickied at the top of every forum (it's the one in my sig, too).

Anyway, a quibble with the wording of this announcement: jdong's note isn't "addressed" to the people who were giving out the dangerous commands as much as it is to those who run unknown commands without thinking. This makes it sound as though it were long-time Ubuntu forums participants who posted that nonsense, and that certainly hasn't been the case.

Bachstelze
December 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Anyway, a quibble with the wording of this announcement: jdong's note isn't "addressed" to the people who were giving out the dangerous commands as much as it is to those who run unknown commands without thinking. This makes it sound as though it were long-time Ubuntu forums participants who posted that nonsense, and that certainly hasn't been the case.

I think you got it all wrong. "adresses" refers to the actions, not the people (see point 13 of the Wiktionary entry for "address" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/address#Verb)).

They're basically just saying that the issue jdong talks about (people deliberately posting harmful commands) is a serious one which hurts the Linux community at large, and they're asking their users to tell them if they know anything about it. That's quite nice of them, by the way.

p_quarles
December 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
I think you got it all wrong. "adresses" refers to the actions, not the people (see point 13 of the Wiktionary entry for "address" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/address#Verb)).

They're basically just saying that the issue jdong talks about (people deliberately posting harmful commands) is a serious one which hurts the Linux community at large, and they're asking their users to tell them if they know anything about it. That's quite nice of them, by the way.
Right, "address" can mean either "talk to" or "talk about." In that sentence, though, "addresses" is a dangling modifier, and it would be difficult to determine its usage without knowing what it's modifying.

You're right, though, that it's probably just bad grammar. What mainly got me was the description of a few trolls as "Ubuntu Forums members." Obviously, all of them have been banned. ;)

orange2k
December 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Hehe, I think that "Russian Rullet for Bash" was cool...
If you know what youre doing, its very cool to run a command that will let you overwrite your HD in 1/6 chance...:guitar:

toupeiro
December 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
While I've squirmed over the specific wording of this statement, and still do to a degree, I still agree wholeheartedly with the underlying message its trying to send about awareness. The fact that its being linked across platform communities is a testament to open source community and the Open Community support model, and shows that effective support methods for open source operating systems do in fact exist and are in fact very productive.

Cheers SuSE Forums

Polygon
December 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
i personally would of just quoted the announcement and then referenced the ubuntuforums topic, but that works too.

orange2k
December 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I would just say: "do not do what some people tell you to do without checking it with other sources, because open source is all about that: checking with other sources...Dont trust your doctor until you get a second opinion...":)