PDA

View Full Version : Should Compiz be included in Xubuntu by default

gn2
December 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
With Xubuntu being primarily aimed at older less capable hardware, should Compiz be left out of the default installation for Xubuntu 8.04?

fatality_uk
December 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
With Xubuntu being primarily aimed at older less capable hardware, should Compiz be left out of the default installation for Xubuntu 8.04?

I voted yes. Simply because, as you say, if Xubuntu is aimed at the lower end PC's, it will only cause many people to be off put if they are trying to get Compiz to work on a GF-TNT2!! Just as say Ferrari has a product range, Enzo being at the top of the tree. You not going to expect a 430 to out pace an Enzo

Incense
December 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I said no. I don't think it should be included in Ubuntu by default at all. While it does drive new users to Linux, I also think it causes more problems then it needs to. Make it easy to install, yes, but not on by default.

buzzmandt
December 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I voted yes, it should be installed/included but turned off by default

kellemes
December 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I said no. I don't think it should be included in Ubuntu by default at all. While it does drive new users to Linux, I also think it causes more problems then it needs to. Make it easy to install, yes, but not on by default.

Agree..

djsroknrol
December 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
If one version has it, why not all capable versions have it?

GSF1200S
December 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM

Agreed.

fuscia
December 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
absolutely not! i hate that silly nonsense.

bobbocanfly
December 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
No. Xubuntu should be for computers that cant run Compiz Fusion.

Lster
December 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
No, it doesn't agree with the Xubuntu philosophy.

erfahren
December 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I agree too!

jken146
December 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Xubuntu should be kept as light as possible, within the constraints of having the necessary features. CF isn't necessary.

Nano Geek
December 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Xubuntu should be kept as light as possible, within the constraints of having the necessary features. CF isn't necessary.Especially since XFCE already has a compositor built in.

K.Mandla
December 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
This is almost amusing somehow. There was a time when Xubuntu was targeted at outdated hardware, but even the developers concede it's not a lightweight distro anymore.

By all means, put Compiz in.

CCNA_student
December 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
The whole point of Xubuntu is to be used on old computers, so if you did put in useless features that eat up system resources why would even make Xubuntu. Xubuntu 7.10 uses about 192MB of RAM even without any applications running. That is to much, considering it can supposedly run well with only 128MB or RAM.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Polygon
December 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM
leave it in

compiz will be disabled for any computer that has lower requirements and videocards that dont support it, so if someone is using xubuntu on a pretty modern computer, they can use it, and anyone that is running it on their 10+ year old machines, it will be disabled.

best of both worlds.

bufsabre666
December 24th, 2007, 01:38 AM
i think so cause compiz really isnt that resource heavy, and you can disable/turn it down

init1
December 24th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Even if it's turned off, it still would take up space in the ISO.

kadath
December 24th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Honestly, I'm not against the idea of Compiz being included in Xubuntu, since Xubuntu isn't really meant for "old" hardware. However, I don't think it should be turned on by default like in Ubuntu.

Also, it's disappointing that Xubuntu is electing to add more and more Gnome apps to its default install. I can understand if some of the Xfce apps aren't up to snuff, but throwing in things like Totem is just stupid. Totem is garbage. Also, talk on the mailing list about replacing Firefox with Epiphany make me shudder. At this rate, eventually Xubuntu will be nothing more than Ubuntu with Thunar and the Xfce panel.

smartboyathome
December 24th, 2007, 03:33 AM
i think so cause compiz really isnt that resource heavy, and you can disable/turn it down

Compiz isn't resource heavy? [-( I can't even run it on my computer with 512 MB ram, so you can't say it isn't resource heavy.

smartboyathome
December 24th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Instead of Compiz, I think gcompmgr (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=555510&postcount=170) and xcompmgr should be included. Why? It (in my opinion) is lighter than Compiz (and thus is more stable), and has all the basics covered for compositing.

new2*buntu
December 24th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Since Xubuntu is designed for low end computers, I don't think that compiz should be included. Or, if it is included it should definitely not be enabled by default. Maybe a question during installation could ask about it and whether the user wants to keep it or not.

aidanr
December 24th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Instead of Compiz, I think gcompmgr (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=555510&postcount=170) and xcompmgr should be included. Why? It (in my opinion) is lighter than Compiz (and thus is more stable), and has all the basics covered for compositing.

No need, xfwm4 (http://www.xfce.org/projects/xfwm4/) already does compositing.

smartboyathome
December 24th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Cool, didn't know. Use XFWM's compositing then. I use xcompmgr cause I am on Enlightenment (the compositing module is borked).

xtrm_redbull
December 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM
No, although im guilty of installing it:), I rarely use it. And it should include deluge in default install, replace totem xine with vlc, and remove openoffice word processor, personally I think Abiword is enough.

smartboyathome
December 24th, 2007, 04:39 AM
No, although im guilty of installing it:), I rarely use it. And it should include deluge in default install, replace totem xine with vlc, and remove openoffice word processor, personally I think Abiword is enough.

VLC has liscensing issues with Ubuntu, so Ubuntu can't include it.

Wiebelhaus
December 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Typically this Distro is meant for low end systems so adding this by default would be counter productive , don't ya think?

chris4585
December 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM
i agree

also
just because xubuntu is designed for low end computers doesnt mean that 100% of people do put it on low end computers, i'd try it if i had a reason to on my main computer and its pretty much new.. 2gigs of ram, 500gig hdd, nvidia graphics card, 2 duo amd cpu's etc..

adam.tropics
December 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
No need, xfwm4 (http://www.xfce.org/projects/xfwm4/) already does compositing.

Exactly.

LookTJ
December 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Heck no! It would decrease the speed of the distro for old laptops.

gn2
December 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
just because xubuntu is designed for low end computers doesnt mean that 100% of people do put it on low end computers,

Indeed, I use it on my Core 2 Desktop (minus the 3D nonsense)

I was very dissapointed that 7.10 just will not run properly on my P3 laptop, because it has forced me to switch to Zenwalk, which suits older hardware far better than Xubuntu 7.10.

el_ricardo
December 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM
i think it should be included, but only with the basics enabled by default (much like ubuntu does anyway) so you get desktop wall, shadows, real transparency, window previews, and maybe some animations.

most computers that run xfce smoothly will probably run compiz, I had xfce with 3d effects (beryl at the time) running on a 700MHz celeron, 320MB RAM, and a geforce 440 gfx card, its really not that difficult tbh

Jackster
December 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I answered no, mainly because I run Xubuntu in VMWare since it's so easy on resources and I imagine Compiz would slow it down too much for me.

Maybe include it, but definitely don't enable it by default.

kadath
December 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Actually, maybe I'll change my mind. Although I originally said they should include it, I thought about it, and now I think they shouldn't.

The reason I first started using Xubuntu 6.06 was because I was running it on a very old desktop. This was my first foray into Linux. Ubuntu ran like crap on that old desktop. So, I ended up getting used to Xfce instead of Gnome, and now I prefer Xfce over Gnome.

One of the points of using Xfce is that it's lighter-weight compared to Gnome. Granted, it's not significantly faster compared to Gnome, but it's faster nonetheless. Losing that advantage in Xubuntu is not a good thing, IMO. But it seems some of the Xubuntu devs are always ready and willing to sacrifice the benefits of using Xfce, for perceived user-friendliness, and ease of maintaining the distro.

I appreciate the Xubuntu devs' work, but it seems like some of them are only interested in taking Ubuntu and throwing Xfce over it. That doesn't really make for a lightweight distro. Regular Ubuntu is bloated enough. I think the Xubuntu devs need to look into cutting out some of the cruft.

As for Compiz, there was a great tutorial posted on the Xubuntu Blog here (http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/12/09/xubuntu-compiz-pretty-pretty-xubuntu/).

X40nick
December 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
No.

Steveway
December 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
No.
If Xubuntu needs Compositing, then go ahead and turn the built-in Compositer on by default but don't put Compiz on it, that's just a waste.

kellemes
December 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
From http://www.xfce.org/

"Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for various *NIX systems. Designed for productivity, it loads and executes applications fast, while conserving system resources."
- Olivier Fourdan, creator of Xfce

Don't think wobbly windows should be included..