PDA

View Full Version : I converted my first family...

cprofitt
December 20th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Sounds like a religous post, heh?

Well... to the story.

My neighbor called the other night and told me that their computer would not boot. It would start windows but before they got their desktop it would just restart.

I went and looked at the machine... it was an old Gateway running Windows 2000 with a 900Mhz processor and 256mb of ram. I tried booting in to the Ubuntu Live CD and looked around at the disk... everything looked ok; so I suspected a corrupt system file, but the boot up process was not giving me any error nor any log of the problem.

I offered to pull their data off and install Ubuntu for them.

After a day of deliberation they brought the computer over and I did just that.

Tonight they called and said that their keyboard had gone bad (broken pin) so they went to get a new one... and were confused about installing the driver. They had put the CD in but didn't know how to install the driver. I asked them if the new keyboard was working -- it was... and I said then don't worry about the driver -- since it is likely a Windows only driver.

They were very pleased with the 'speed' of the OS...

I will post if I get any more feedback.

toupeiro
December 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM
heh, before I looked at your message, I read the title and thought wow, this ubuntu following is starting to sound like a cult.

fedex1993
December 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Yes i did this one of my friends said that windows xp was running very slow and the machine was showing its age. so i installed ubuntu this was back when 7.04 was out and he loved it alot. Well he complained that it didnt have anything at all. like games and i said yeah and your point is..... he replied but now he wants it reinstalled and i said tell me when i and i will. So yeah converting to ubuntu it coming more common

phaed
December 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I started using Ubuntu as my exclusive operating system in May of 2005. After my parents' computer was basically crippled by viruses and spyware, I installed Ubuntu on their computer in March of 2006. They've been using it ever since without any problems.

It was an easy situation, because all my parents use their computer for is surfing the Internet and occasionally printing stuff out (luckily they already had an HP printer). I can understand others might run into more frustration, especially if they play games or have certain Windows based software that they need to use.

JAPrufrock
December 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Here's an interesting one: How about having to install a Linux distro because maintaining a functioning virus free XP OS is too hard for a user. I haven't done it yet, but I intend to install Gutsy on my mother-in-law's computer. She uses it mostly for internet stuff, but has a hard time keeping her anti-virus program up to date. I converted her to Firefox, which helped a bit, but she's still having problems. So when I told her that I can install Ubuntu for her, and she wouldn't have to worry about virus' anymore, she was thrilled, and said go ahead. Another Linux user!

Linuxratty
December 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I converted her to Firefox, which helped a bit, but she's still having problems. So when I told her that I can install Ubuntu for her, and she wouldn't have to worry about virus' anymore, she was thrilled, and said go ahead. Another Linux user!

As a long time Windows user, I have to ask WHAT are these people DOING!?:shock: I ran Windows over 10 years and in the entire time I got less than ten infections and none of them on XP.
At one point, I was running XP and would go every Friday to Trend and run House Call and all I ever got were tracking cookies.Yes,what I'm saying is House Call was my protection.
Before I did something stupid,involving duel booting (don't ask)I had a free virus program on XP...never had a problem.
Of course,I also never used Outlook,which might have helped just a tad.;):twisted::biggrin:

cprofitt
December 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
As a long time Windows user, I have to ask WHAT are these people DOING!?:shock: I ran Windows over 10 years and in the entire time I got less than ten infections and none of them on XP.
At one point, I was running XP and would go every Friday to Trend and run House Call and all I ever got were tracking cookies.Yes,what I'm saying is House Call was my protection.
Before I did something stupid,involving duel booting (don't ask)I had a free virus program on XP...never had a problem.
Of course,I also never used Outlook,which might have helped just a tad.;):twisted::biggrin:

I agree.

I have run Windows since Windows began and never once had a Virus. I have had one discovered twice and stopped, but never actually gotten an infection. At the same time I know that users who are not careful are the ones that end up infected.

el_ricardo
December 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
all you need is common sense and an understanding of the need to keep your virus protection up to date, i know a lot of idiots that are baffled as to why they have a virus, because they have norton or whatever, then i look at it and realise that its never been updated! i'll ask them why they never updated their virus scanner and they just don't understand why they have to!

Vadi
December 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Well, I didn't get any viruses on Windows either. But that's because I have been a good customer to third-party companies, and paid them moneys so that they can regularly hog my laptop to do virus scans.

Since I got Ubuntu, I didn't have to pay anybody money, and I have my laptop all to myself. :)

(Oh, and no viruses yet either!)

cprofitt
December 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Well, I didn't get any viruses on Windows either. But that's because I have been a good customer to third-party companies, and paid them moneys so that they can regularly hog my laptop to do virus scans.

Since I got Ubuntu, I didn't have to pay anybody money, and I have my laptop all to myself. :)

(Oh, and no viruses yet either!)

You're extra special then. Congratulations.

mips
December 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
You're extra special then. Congratulations.

I'm also extra special but I only used freeware stuff.

cprofitt
December 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I'm also extra special but I only used freeware stuff.

:)

I agree we are all Extra Special... well except poor Special Edd.

JAPrufrock
December 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Come on guys. Some people forget to update their AV data files, and some people open email attachments without really thinking about them. Most people aren't savy computer users, and the least savy are on the opposite end of the scale from Linux users (yeah, you guys).