PDA

View Full Version : Starting a little super (not so) secret community project

StueyB
December 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Hi people.

I have just had a nice little idea that i think would rock, but I need some help.

It was inspired by a post about a broken computer, on this forum no less. Basically, if you are any type of geek, you have will have loads of stuff lying round with no use, ie old video cards, mobos, hdds, cdroms etc that have little value in the grand scale of things. IE I have low end poweredge servers that are fully working, but have no saleable value but are a geeks dream.

Now what im proposing is a site that allows you to firstly put all your surplus hardware up for people to browse and buy. Ok, sounds a bit like ebay yes, well no its different. Read on....

All the hardware is surplus to requirements etc so you can essentially buy it for say $1, to stop everyone grabbing everything (everything is $1 type thing). Basically, a bit like freecycle but for geeks, searchable by item type, location, clock speed etc. Any profits go to to charity!

Anybody fancy helping out as I have no programming knowledge. Believe it or not, im doing it to try and be that little bit greener and allow geeks to fix/build new boxes :)

Anybody that is decent with php/mysql, and wants to partner up, please get in touch :)

Stuart

aysiu
December 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
All the hardware is surplus to requirements etc so you can essentially buy it for say $1, to stop everyone grabbing everything (everything is $1 type thing). Basically, a bit like freecycle but for geeks, searchable by item type, location, clock speed etc. Any profits go to to charity! Do you think it might be possible to set this up within the current FreeCyle framework?

fatality_uk
December 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Nice idea. However, can I make another suggestion.

Give those PC's, components or spare parts to a local charity! Or even, something like http://www.computer-aid.org/

You wont make your $1 per sale, but trust me, you'll get a whole lot more back than a $1

I make each and every company I work for introduce a hardware recycling policy. It's environmental sense, common sense and business sense (some items can be written off against tax)

If 10 people didn't skip their old PC's and sent them to Africa, that's a whole small classroom kitted out. And, ohh err lets see. Put Ubuntu on them :)

StueyB
December 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Do you think it might be possible to set this up within the current FreeCyle framework?

Well I have used this in the past to dispose of IT, but its not IT specific and also I cant got and say "Find all video cards within 20 miles". Also if I have for example a broken PSU and need a new one quick, I can just do a search, wheras freecycle, there may or may not be one, and I have to spend time looking through historic posts, ifyswim.

Tundro Walker
December 20th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Just thinking, by the time you add shipping it, is it really worth selling it for a dollar?

Why not just post it with terms like "it's free, but you have to pay for the shipping". The "purchaser" can choose the level of shipping, from first class, or UPS, and also decide if they want to insure it. They toss that amount into some kind of transaction account, and the "seller" ships the stuff.

My concern would be folks "buying up" a bunch of stuff just to turn a profit selling it on eBay. But, the kind of stuff we're talking about is probably hardly worth anything, otherwise the original "seller" would be tossing it on eBay themself.

sailor2001
December 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
free is never free as far as merchandise is concerned .. Just sent a 9# package 500 miles and it cost $27 usd shipping.