PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Terminal Output to Zenity

altonbr
December 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'm trying to run this and pipe it to Zenity...

aptitude install zenity | zenity --text-info
Of course that doesn't work because it doesn't use 'sudo' and just hangs.

How do I get Zenity to ask for a password and then pipe it to sudo?
This asks via the command-line the password, but not in Zenity:

sudo aptitude install zenity | zenity --text-info

I know I need 'zenity --entry' to ask the user for some input, but once I received that information, how do I feed 'sudo' that password? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

altonbr
December 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Got it.

PASSWORD=`zenity --title='Password' --text='Please enter your password' --entry`
echo $PASSWORD | sudo -S aptitude install zenity | zenity --text-info

aJayRoo
December 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I think it would be more secure to simply use gksudo to run the command and pipe the output to zenity:

gksudo command_that_needs_sudo | zenity_stuff
That way a graphical password prompt will be shown and there is no need to handle the password yourself in plain text.

altonbr
December 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
This is how Automatix does it:

gksudo --message "Please enter your admin password to start Automatix" "/usr/bin/automatix.py $USER $HOME $UID $1"

altonbr
December 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The problem with this:

while [ -z $PASSWORD ]; do
echo $LEVELINFO "Asking user for their password..."
PASSWORD=`zenity --title='Password' --text='Please enter your password' --entry`
done

export PASSWORD

Is that (1) You've just accepted a 'sudo' password in open text and (2) now you've exported the open password!

How can I use 'sudo's "register the password for 5 minutes" feature but make it graphical by using zenity AND not run a shell program like my Automatix example?

sundar_ima
April 16th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I know it is ver old thread but i think this is the correct place to clear my doubt. The code given below works with out an issue.
echo $PASSWORD | sudo -S aptitude install zenity | zenity --text-info
My question is that how do you close the text info box once the operation is complete?

hakermania
April 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
please mark the thread as solved