PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest you have kept an Ubuntu Installation?

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Ok, is it just me that seems to mess up my system and have to install again often? I mean I don't seem to make it more than about 3 months max and I'm reinstalling because something isn't working right. I have become very good at reinstalling and getting my system to where I need it in a matter of about 3 days. I have been using Ubuntu since the Breezy days so I'm not new at this stuff either. I'm not going out and trying to mess up my system, it just seems to happen through use! So I'm curious what is the longest you have ever kept your Ubuntu installation? And what do you do to keep it so long? Thanks.

Shane

FuturePilot
December 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
6 months. I try not to do anything too risky on my installs. If I want to try something that I feel may totally mess something up, I have an extra hard drive for that ;)
If I do have to reinstall I can usually get everything back the way it was in about 3 hours.

Kingsley
December 18th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I kept Ubuntu 7.04 on my desktop for 6 months straight, but that's just because I went off to college. If I stopped messing with xorg.conf or quit being curious about other distributions, I'm sure I could go longer without having to reinstall/upgrade.

rfruth
December 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I also started with Breezy and have reinstalled many times since usually cause I'm trying something new :cool:

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
6 months. I try not to do anything too risky on my installs. If I want to try something that I feel may totally mess something up, I have an extra hard drive for that ;)
If I do have to reinstall I can usually get everything back the way it was in about 3 hours.

Mine usually takes about three days because I think of programs as I go, and have to continually install things. I can use it out of the box though. You would think I would make a nice list of things to install and keep it handy though. :) I keep my home partition separate so my documents etc are safe, of course I back them up too! :) Wow, I'm under par for these installations. :)

Shane

-grubby
December 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
let's see...about a month

SunnyRabbiera
December 18th, 2007, 04:56 AM
about a year so far, between Dapper, Edgy and Feisty that barely worked.
I am hoping I wont have to go hopping for hardy.

p_quarles
December 18th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Since I started using Ubuntu, I've only had to reinstall once. Xine decided to completely die on me, and I wasn't able to find an easy fix. I probably didn't need to reinstall, but given the separate /home partition, it seemed the easiest thing to do.

Other than that, I've only reinstalled to either a) upgrade to newest version, or b) resize my Windows partition (which is now a 30 GiB virtual drive).

FuturePilot
December 18th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Mine usually takes about three days because I think of programs as I go, and have to continually install things. I can use it out of the box though. You would think I would make a nice list of things to install and keep it handy though. :) I keep my home partition separate so my documents etc are safe, of course I back them up too! :) Wow, I'm under par for these installations. :)

Shane

Yeah, the thing that takes the most time for me is remembering all the programs I had installed. I get about 99% of them. Maybe a couple days later I remember one I forgot. Always happens without fail.:lolflag:
I need to make a list ;)

KCPokes
December 18th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Haven't reinstalled since I installed back in April, along with the Gutsy upgrade in October. I've had a few issues, here and there, but always managed to work through it and haven't had to reinstall, luckily. I guess I figure at the point I do have to reinstall that I'll probably try some other distro, just for the sake of argument.

With the current stability issues that I'm experiencing with Gutsy, I'm not too far off of taking that plunge.

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 05:00 AM
about a year so far, between Dapper, Edgy and Feisty that barely worked.
I am hoping I wont have to go hopping for hardy.

Wow you get the :KS gold medal so far! A year, that is really good!

Since I started using Ubuntu, I've only had to reinstall once. Xine decided to completely die on me, and I wasn't able to find an easy fix. I probably didn't need to reinstall, but given the separate /home partition, it seemed the easiest thing to do.

Other than that, I've only reinstalled to either a) upgrade to newest version, or b) resize my Windows partition (which is now a 30 GiB virtual drive).

How long does that make it?

This is kind of interesting, glad I'm not the only one re-installing often. :) Glad it is only about a 30-50 minute process and not the Windows type of installation! :lolflag:

Shane

p_quarles
December 18th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Shane

Yeah, the thing that takes the most time for me is remembering all the programs I had installed. I get about 99% of them. Maybe a couple days later I remember one I forgot. Always happens without fail.:lolflag:
I need to make a list ;)
This is how I take care of that problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3537917&postcount=2

I should probably make a tutorial out of that, but it wasn't my idea, and I can't remember where I found it.

EDIT; @shane2peru: You're right, I forgot to answer the question. :D Umm, about two months since I had to reinstall, and four months was my longest installation (on Ubuntu -- my Debian server is another story).

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 05:02 AM
With the current stability issues that I'm experiencing with Gutsy, I'm not too far off of taking that plunge.

That is part of why I'm asking too, Gutsy hasn't been the greatest for me. I'm thinking of going back to Fiesty. Will my evolution data from Gutsy be usable in Fiesty?

Shane

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Wow great link! Thanks!

Shane

Mateo
December 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I've never reinstalled since starting using, dapper i think it was. so 1.5 years.

x0as
December 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Ubuntu normally gets reinstalled every release, Debian install is around 15 months old.

Anduu
December 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I started with Dapper testing just before my forum registration in April '06...Haven't reinstalled since...strictly upgrades.

LaRoza
December 18th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I had my original installation up until quite recently. I had no problems since I first installed it (and the upgrade), but wanted to repartition my hard disks to make better use of the space.

I still have the original, but once I am satisfied with this installation, I am going to format it.

FuturePilot
December 18th, 2007, 05:51 AM

I should probably make a tutorial out of that, but it wasn't my idea, and I can't remember where I found it.

EDIT; @shane2peru: You're right, I forgot to answer the question. :D Umm, about two months since I had to reinstall, and four months was my longest installation (on Ubuntu -- my Debian server is another story).

That is exactly what I've been looking for for a long time! Thanks :guitar:

misfitpierce
December 18th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Going on 8 months now since I upgraded from feisty with no probs.

daengbo
December 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I kept Ubuntu pinned on my server for quite a while. For desktop distros, I tend to nuke and reinstall (home is on a different partition) instead of upgrading, though I've upped my gal's laptop computer four or five times in the last couple of years. That's probably the record.

vishzilla
December 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM
6 months..freshly install (sometimes upgraded esp. with later releases) with every release

g2g591
December 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM
me, only about 5-6 months (fiesty->gutsy->a few months later gutsy->hardy (borked)->hardy

Wiebelhaus
December 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM
six months , in the beginning i was eager to try stuff so tore up a few installations.

confused57
December 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Installed Breezy desktop January 2006, upgraded to Dapper, so guess I'm going on 2 years. I used Automatix in Breezy & Dapper to install extra programs, haven't had any unrecoverable problems. The OS still works flawlessly.

hhhhhx
December 18th, 2007, 06:56 AM
i change whenever a new realese is out or if my system gets bloated with programs, and im too lazy to clean it:guitar:

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM

ok, one problem I have with this link is that if I do this, I will probably end up with the same system that I have now, that is something I have installed somewhere along the way has messed my system up. This is a cool method if I don't have a messed up system, but the reason I'm usually installing again is because of something I have installed, that has messed up some other application (at least this is what it seems like to me). Can anyone else comment on that?

Shane

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Installed Breezy desktop January 2006, upgraded to Dapper, so guess I'm going on 2 years. I used Automatix in Breezy & Dapper to install extra programs, haven't had any unrecoverable problems. The OS still works flawlessly.

Same deal on my desktop. I'm overdue for a fresh install of Ubuntu, though.

xaco1234
i still have an edgy install i did 2 months before feisty, that i updated to feisty, this on my other laptop, gusty on this one

aaaantoine
Right now it's a tie between my install of Feisty in mid-August and my (re)install of Gutsy in late October.

In other words, 2 months and counting.

Brynster
December 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
You mean there are newer versions other than Warty 4.10???

I better start up grading.

Seriously i am using 4.10 install on an in-car computer/mp3/movie player

light n fast on a Epia M1000 based pc with 512mb and a 120gb hdd :-)

never reinstalled upgraded or altered...

jtkirk
December 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I have 4 ubuntu machines. 3 at home 1 at work

1 machine for 1 year. Just use it for internet stuff. Rock solid.
2 machines for 3 months. Again, primarily firefox. Rock solid.
1 machine at work. 4 months. Pretty solid.

I HAVE had to re-install ubuntu several times on most of these prior to getting it solid.

I see ubuntu as a ultra-low-cost mechanism (not just the OS but also the ability to use cheap hardware) to get on the internet. Basic functions such as simple word processing are a nice benefit.

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
@Brynster :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS Ok, you take the cake on this one! I don't think we will be finding someone with a longer installation than you have! That is funny. Yes, we are up to 7.10 here in the real world. :lolflag:

Shane

igknighted
December 18th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Personally? I don't think I've had an install last more than 3 months... but only because I get the urge to try something new. Rarely do I break it and force a reinstall. That is starting to change though, as my desktop is running Gentoo and will be for the forseeable future (don't want to have to recompile everything :P), and plus Gentoo is rolling release, so I don't have to worry about applications getting old. Being a relative Gentoo newb, I'll probably bork it at some point though.

The laptop is a different story... new distro's 24/7, or at least until I find one I am happy with.

p_quarles
December 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
ok, one problem I have with this link is that if I do this, I will probably end up with the same system that I have now, that is something I have installed somewhere along the way has messed my system up. This is a cool method if I don't have a messed up system, but the reason I'm usually installing again is because of something I have installed, that has messed up some other application (at least this is what it seems like to me). Can anyone else comment on that?

Shane
You could make frequent snapshots of your current packages. If you created a new file every couple of weeks (or used a cron job to automate it), you could easily reinstall using a file generated before some package messed up the system.

This method might also come in handy for identifying the package that's causing the problems, thus avoiding the need for a reinstallation.

shane2peru
December 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
You could make frequent snapshots of your current packages. If you created a new file every couple of weeks (or used a cron job to automate it), you could easily reinstall using a file generated before some package messed up the system.

This method might also come in handy for identifying the package that's causing the problems, thus avoiding the need for a reinstallation.

ok, I went ahead and re-installed (I think I originally used Gutsy before it was released, so now I have a clean install with the official release.) I also used this method, except I went through my package list in the hour my updates were downloads and deleted everything except the packages that I usually install, then I just ran that other command to install those packages. Still worked rather effectively, now I will keep that package_list with some of my pertinent backup config files. :) Thanks for the tips though, they are appreciated.

Shane