PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

knorg
October 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I guess the reason for that is they dont want to hand out detail. So called Closed Source! If the would pass on all the details for whriting an open source driver they could hand out the source code as well.
On the other you get graphics cards which are well suported, I own a Nvidia Quadro 1400FX and never had a problem with it. Well, its a workstation card, not especialy for gaming, but still can play games like Far Cry, Doom3, UT2004 or Quake4 on highest quality.

P.S.: Would never switch back to M$, its all commercial crap imho! :D

jdunn
October 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM
The only thing that keeps me still using windows is the fonts. I have to work in windows whenever i'm typing large documents and stuff like that. I tried everything and still the fonts look nowhere near as good as those in windows. :(
:mrgreen:

You can download the Windows truetype fonts from the repositories to use in OpenOffice and all your other Linux applications. Your reason is null and void.

whizbaby
October 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Your reason is null and void.
Yes, but mainly because of LaTex...

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
You can download the Windows truetype fonts from the repositories to use in OpenOffice and all your other Linux applications. Your reason is null and void.

Hey, have you seen the "edit:" in my original post? I have proper windows-quality fonts now. I'm going to remove windows in few months, coz i need it for school now.

ShadowVlican
October 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
before you do that, make sure linux works with your printer ;)

Kulgan
October 30th, 2006, 06:39 AM
indeed... I've been trying to connect linux to the printer on a different comp for ages. Filesharing's fine, but I need those damned drivers...

Windows is a useful tool - I only removed it because I didn't have enough space. Especially in the beginning, Windows saved me. No longer :twisted:

Ocxic
October 31st, 2006, 01:39 AM
you may not need the linux drivers for you're pritner....

If you set your printer driver to raw, and set the windows pc to accept raw jobs, and windows to print with it own driver, witch i know you can do I remember seeing the option somewhere. this way windows will talke the raw job from your linux comp and use it own driver to print.

ShadowVlican
October 31st, 2006, 05:34 AM
lol but then you still need a windows PC hahaha

that's a workaround... not a solution

mahy
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM
before you do that, make sure linux works with your printer ;)

It does, both locally (USB) and over LAN (Samba) connected to a windows machine. I count myself lucky in terms of linux hw compatibility.

Kulgan
October 31st, 2006, 04:31 PM
I need a windows computer anyways. My mum insists on having windows, even if she curses the slowness all the time, and uses linux at work.

I have no idea how to set this raw thing in windows - anyone got a link to share? :P Mebbe I'll ask in the nubbi forum...

It does, both locally (USB) and over LAN (Samba) connected to a windows machine.

It's not usb...

What I would really like to do is get one of those things that converts ethernet into normal printer... then I could have a printer without having to turn on the windows computer every time. And it's kinda cool...

-K

darrenm
October 31st, 2006, 09:36 PM
I need a windows computer anyways. My mum insists on having windows, even if she curses the slowness all the time, and uses linux at work.

I have no idea how to set this raw thing in windows - anyone got a link to share? :P Mebbe I'll ask in the nubbi forum...

It's not usb...

What I would really like to do is get one of those things that converts ethernet into normal printer... then I could have a printer without having to turn on the windows computer every time. And it's kinda cool...

-K

Whats the make and model of printer? Pretty much anything should work as long as its not Lexmark.

And the ethernet converter is called a print server, mainly known as a Jetdirect. They are dirt cheap on eBay and around the web.

Kulgan
October 31st, 2006, 11:25 PM
the model is a HP Deskjet 6122. It is listed in the list when you install a printer.

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2006, 04:28 AM
Well Mr. Gates I have had all sorts of problems with Windows XP.
First one was the update from service pack 1 to service pack 2.
Then there is the issue of IE being DIRECTLY tied into the OS, if IE gets infected so does the OS.
Spyware, addware and viruses too, and XP has a limited installation as you can only activate the copy of XP a certain amount after that its another $100 or so out the window(s)
I use Ubuntu because it works, and I find it much better then XP

aroswald1977
November 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?

I use linux, because I like to be able to take full advantage of a computer with a 64-bit processor.. I've tried the 64-bit Windows XP, and vista, and they just don't... well.. work.

Also, I find better support within the Linux community, Microsoft's database is cryptic at best, and if something breaks inside the windows kernel due to a virus, or *cough* poor security, or some other reason, I often found myself losing hours of work-time reinstalling my entire system from backup.](*,)

Also, I like the way the linux kernel manages memory, and the filesystem. Under Linux, I never have to wait *hours* for the defragment utility to finish, because files dont get fragmented. Over the last 20 years, I've had the opportunity to notice that windows performance seems to drop over time.](*,)

I do have a windows PC, and it still runs XP. On the first install, brand new, out of the box, it ran >>F>A>S>T>>, hardly ever saw the hourglass. Now, even with regular cleanup, defragmentation, virus checking, and spyware removal, notepad takes around 2 minutes to appear on the screen. I just like things reliable.](*,)

Another issue is the overall cost of windows for personal use. The operating system, and all the productivity software I need, would cost me around $1000. With linux, on a fresh install, I have everything I need, at the cost of a single Writable CD. Also, If I figure in the cost of lost productivity, as time/hour, based on my current wage, Windows use would cost me over $300 per month.](*,)

No Thank You, I'll use Linux :) .

Greevous
November 2nd, 2006, 05:24 AM
Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from using Ubuntu more than I do now is the look and feel. It feels so bulky, so rounded and "soft". I actually like the Classic Windows look even on my XP machine, because in my opinion it makes for a better work environment.

And even though the resolutions might be technically the same, it always seems like Ubuntu is at 1024x768 as opposed to my Windows which is definitely at 1280x1024.

It sort of reminds me of the Mac interface, which I really dislike because of course Macintosh always makes me think of the people in their commercials- the majority of computer users who don't know 1/8 of what they should know about computers.

SunnyRabbiera
November 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Well then why bother using anything other then XP when XP is so "perfect?"
I mean come on who cant love the preschool fisher price colors?
the $200 office suites?
the $900 paint programs?
I dont, I like linux because it comes bundled with great software like Open office and the gimp... software that is much cheaper then MS office and adobe photoshop.
Honestly if you feel linux is so inferior why bother with it in the first place???

I think its nonsense plain and simple, for me I think linux runs circles around the windows and gates...

nothingworks
November 5th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I like linux because it comes bundled with great software like Open office and the gimp
I use Linux with an optimistic hope that it will be usable as my primary OS...Tried Edgy and I still HAVE TO go back to xp.

Open Office, GIMP, VLC....all are available for XP too. Only thing I miss is Amarok

My wishlist:
get XGL to work with xinerama
Fix the countless bugs in Beryl
Get an AutoGK equivalent for Ubuntu (other than dvd::rip)
Better HDD detection. (both my wd1200jb disk are reported to have a DMA error, but windows works just fine)
NTFS write support (not the current at-your-own-risk way)
Better keyboard support (lol), my standard keyboard does not work as it should (Example Ctrl+end, crtl+home using the numeric keypad)

Reshin
November 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Well then why bother using anything other then XP when XP is so "perfect?"
I mean come on who cant love the preschool fisher price colors?
the $200 office suites?
the $900 paint programs?
I dont, I like linux because it comes bundled with great software like Open office and the gimp... software that is much cheaper then MS office and adobe photoshop.
Honestly if you feel linux is so inferior why bother with it in the first place???

I think its nonsense plain and simple, for me I think linux runs circles around the windows and gates...

You do know that OO and gimp etc are available for windows also? No ones forcing you to use MS office or photoshop.

whizbaby
November 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from using Ubuntu more than I do now is the look and feel. It feels so bulky, so rounded and "soft". I actually like the Classic Windows look even on my XP machine, because in my opinion it makes for a better work environment.
This is crap. You can make 'look and feel' linux just what you want.

It sort of reminds me of the Mac interface, which I really dislike because of course Macintosh always makes me think of the people in their commercials- the majority of computer users who don't know 1/8 of what they should know about computers.
And you think a windoze user knows more about computers. Still lmao.

.t.
November 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I use Linux with an optimistic hope that it will be usable as my primary OS...Tried Edgy and I still HAVE TO go back to xp.

Open Office, GIMP, VLC....all are available for XP too. Only thing I miss is Amarok

My wishlist:
get XGL to work with xinerama
Fix the countless bugs in Beryl
Better HDD detection. (both my wd1200jb disk are reported to have a DMA error, but windows works just fine)
NTFS write support (not the current at-your-own-risk way)
Better keyboard support (lol), my standard keyboard does not work as it should (Example Ctrl+end, crtl+home using the numeric keypad)
But it's perfectly functional: above that of XP, even if Beryl is crippled. You can still use the system! If you don't need Windows (like me), then you don't need NTFS write. Use NTFS-3g if you do; but I suggest that this is a motive to move completely away from proprietary formats: you can see what it does to consistency and interoperability. Keyboard support is there: this is a free system; if you want to change it, read around and do so. Hopefully though, it will be fixed. (Remember to file bugs (http://bugs.ubuntu.com) for things that are broken!). An AutoGK equivalent is the quite nice Acidrip. Finally, XGL is obsolete: use AIGLX if you can. Beryl should have Xinerama support soon: DavidR recently uploaded it to Compiz, and I'm sure Beryl will pull it down.

File bugs (http://bugs.ubuntu.com)!

redbluemangle
November 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I use linux specifically because it does not support those games people miss. I have better things to do with my time.

- a recovering gamer

sandsicle
November 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Everytime I opened Windows it would give me a million updates and remind me to reboot every 10 seconds, drove me crazy. Good enough reason for me.

julian67
November 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Try AcidRip (http://untrepid.com/acidrip/)

AcidRip is a Gtk2::Perl application for ripping and encoding DVD's. It neatly wraps MPlayer and MEncoder, which I think is pretty handy, seeing as MPlayer is by far the best bit of video playing kit around for Linux. As well as creating a simple Graphical Interface for those scared of getting down and dirty with MEncoders command line interface, It also automates the process in a number of ways:

* Parses DVD into contents tree
* Finds longest title
* Calculate video bitrate for given filesize
* Finds black bands and crops them
* Gives suggestions for improved performance
* Other stuff!

It's a great application and is packaged for Ubuntu. I have it installed on Kubuntu 6.10 and in openSUSE 10.1. The results I got were way better than those I got using dvd::rip. They use different encoders and as far as I can tell mencode is far superior to transcode. I also used to use AutoGK and occasionally GK in Windows and I'm happy with AcidRip.

CCBalla10
November 15th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Well I too love windows...but I am a computer science major at my university and kept hearing talk around campus about linux. I knew of linux but had never really tried it out. So one day I downloaded Ubuntu and LOVED IT! (once I figured out how to set it all up on my laptop) After seeing how stable Ubuntu is, i have since resized my partition tables to allow just enough space to install XP and Halo...(10 GB). I now only use windows as a game emulator :D

tubasoldier
November 15th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I use linux specifically because it does not support those games people miss. I have better things to do with my time.

- a recovering gamer

Amen Brother. You hit the nail on the head.

Sunn3K7aas
November 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I use Ubuntu for basically everything except Final Fantasy XI, which, sadly, has had very little support form either WINE or Cedega. I usually play older games (King's Quest, Space Quest, etc. ), so I use DOS emulation mostly for games, both when I'm in Windows or in Linux. I would have an entire Linux system if it weren't for FFXI.

KI4DFH
November 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM

aktiwers
November 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I just finished reading this post.. a long read..
The funny thing is I didn't get any smarter.... :-#

Frak
November 17th, 2006, 01:21 PM
(Just About) everything you do with windows you can do with linux, whether alternate, or direct (NVU vs. Frontpage)

jbtito03
November 17th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Oi... i have windows XP... somewhere on a cd and with a lot of dust on it... and that is the best use for it (and for my nervs - f*** wizards drove me crazy :evil:, crashes when i work - not only the application, the whole sistem -, viruses and othe maliciuss software and not to forget the back processes running constantly like norton using up the resources).

So, the awnser - because linux is for me and my work MUCH better.:D

Cheers

Jb

P.S. My opinion - cause linux is a better OS and has a gewd carma couse it is open! LOVE LINUX!

Steve Pullman
November 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I tried Linux because I can. Its about choice I think.
Now I love Kubuntu so much that XP is off my drive.
I can do everything in Linux that I could do in XP. Actually I can do much, much more and for no cost. Also, I don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, adware etc.
I can even run windows software in wine.
I think the one are Linux still lags behind windows is games. But for games I have a PS2 as I never cared for PC games anyway.
Also, if I ever got fed up with KDE I can change it. You just don't have that choice with windows.

SnTholiday
November 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM
The one thing I don't miss is the Antivirus, Antispyware, disk cleaners, registry cleaners, registry optimisers/defragmenters, disk defragmenters, etc. Although most of these software can be obtained for free, it is a pain to have to run them all the time. If you don't your PC will slow to a crawl. My kids still use Windows XP and never run any type of cleaners or even remove temp internet files, their computers are louded with garbage.

ShadowVlican
November 18th, 2006, 01:38 AM
(Just About) everything you do with windows you can do with linux, whether alternate, or direct (NVU vs. Frontpage)
i'm sure you can.... but it's one click in windows and a weekend of reading on linux ;)

The one thing I don't miss is the Antivirus, Antispyware, disk cleaners, registry cleaners, registry optimisers/defragmenters, disk defragmenters, etc. Although most of these software can be obtained for free, it is a pain to have to run them all the time. If you don't your PC will slow to a crawl. My kids still use Windows XP and never run any type of cleaners or even remove temp internet files, their computers are louded with garbage.
you don't need to run all that crap to have a nice running WinXP (and actually some of those do more harm than good)

i'm a testament to that fact

Steve Pullman
November 18th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I think >80% of virus stuff is scaremongering AV companies just to get you to buy there software.
I had 98SE for 8 years and never had a virus.
You just need to be careful where you go online.
XP without AV, etc, is fast.
As for one click in windows...
Yeah - one click on paypal to pay for what you can do for $0 in linux *if you can be bothered to learn how*
payware=lazyware

Craftycorner
November 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I use Windows cuz my hardware (printer, scanner, internal fax modem) is strictly Windows. I got it before learning about Linux. I surf using Linux for a nasty free experience. I do scan for viruses, of which I caught only Windows viruses in my mail. The junk phlishing problem in my area is awful. I delete those for my Windows friends as I'm a good Netizen.

ShadowVlican
November 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I think >80% of virus stuff is scaremongering AV companies just to get you to buy there software.
I had 98SE for 8 years and never had a virus.
You just need to be careful where you go online.
XP without AV, etc, is fast.

slightly agreed :D

i must add though, using email software on windows you have to have AV... the junk filter doesn't cut it (i'd say that's the majority of infections for people that do get affected)

As for one click in windows...
Yeah - one click on paypal to pay for what you can do for $0 in linux *if you can be bothered to learn how*
payware=lazyware
i'm all for lazyware, and i'm not alone, not by a longshot.

kopilo
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
O.o No offence but technologically wise I'm known for being one of the laziest people, I use global keys because I can't be bothered moving my hand to the mouse, pointing and clicking...

With setting up an average user system, Ubuntu/Linux far out strips windows XP with the default settings, such as with the file/folder permissions, open ports, etc.

Kulgan
November 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
payware=lazyware??

not quite!

personally I don't think that Fireworks or Flash is "lazyware", as most of the people I know who use them are experienced computer users - albeit on windows.

So long as a windows user uses windows by choice, I have no problem at all with it - so long as they don't bash me for using linux. It is that almost all computers come with windows that pisses me off. And people who do not know what linux is. And THEN, if I talk about it, say it is crap. Damn.

lyceum
November 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I started using Linux because I wanted to find out what it was. I started using in full time for the following reasons:

1. Safty. I don't want to worry, and anti-virus software is like birth control (sorry if this offends, let me know, I will edit). It is never 100% effective. Bottom line, I just don't want to think about it.

2. Control. I make it look and feel the way I like. This is important, as I have to look at it all the time. I want my OS to function in a way that is easy for me and look good when I turn it on. I think Windows 98 was the last OS Microsoft made that had the customer in mind. XP looked nice, but you could not customize it. At least, not like you could with 98 with out it looking like 98. To do anything more with XP you have to give them more money. Seeing that they have the leading market share and XP home is $200 how much money do they need?

3. Ease of programs. I am in school. I may need a program for one class then never use it again. It is nice to add a program and then just remove it again without spending $100. This is also nice time when people need to use my PC and I don't have a program installed they might need. I add it and remove it. No worries.

4. Making the world a better place. Why does Microsoft keep their code closed? If I find a problem with their code, why can't I fix it? I paid $200 for this program that I can use the way I want to? But I can get Ubuntu for free and do anything to it I want? I have a problem shelling out money and that item not really being mine. That is why I own a house, not a condo, I bought my car, I do not lease and I use Ubuntu, not XP as much as I can.

Hope this helps.

Bender the Robot
November 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
On one PC I dual boot 'ubuntu' with 'XP' and I use 'ubuntu'' to 'wander the internet' and download any software I may need for my 'Windows' apps. When I download files, for 'XP', I use 'Explore 2fs' to import them into my 'Windows' partition.

Using 'ubuntu', in this way, I'm able to disable the ethernet connection in 'XP', thus saving myself the expense of buying, and installing, any 'AV', 'firewall' or 'anti-malware' software - there is also the added bonus of the extra system resources which are freed by not having these apps 'on-board'. As 'ubuntu' is my glorified web-browser with 'built-in anti-malware', I am able to use a very much slimmed-down 'XP' for all the important work.

Being a pragmatic person, I believe in 'horses for courses' and I know that my system works perfectly for me.

kiyometane
November 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Some video games are not configured on linux, this is because most users were using windows. Some games are still not supported even on Mac.
But now we have more and more games being supported on linux, it is just a matter of time, a gamer will change to linux os may be in 2007-2008.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

1st of all, if you want to judge linux against windows......dont dual boot.
linux is 100x more secure....faster.....better graphics....free.....more powerful in computing........the industry standard for server solutions...faster.....more secure......free.......did I mention faster.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster.

I would think it could be fun if you set up two machines, one linux one MS and we all send you emails with viruses....Then you, with out any anti-virus software, download everything to the machines........see which crashes first.

::grin::

Cannaregio
November 23rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
My new laptop (bought 20 days ago) has still dual boot windows xp and ubuntu dapper.
Guess what: I used windows xp maybe 5 minutes to check everything worked and since then I haven't even booted it again.

The only other close encounter with microsoft was trying out the vista version on the web and wiped it away almost immediately (a PITA - it obliterated the original XP): lets just say i wont even bother to pirate it when its fully released, its THAT bad and slow. Never again, I think I'll remove the dual boot very soon.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
My new laptop (bought 20 days ago) has still dual boot windows xp and ubuntu dapper.
Guess what: I used windows xp maybe 5 minutes to check everything worked and since then I haven't even booted it again.

The only other close encounter with microsoft was trying out the vista version on the web and wiped it away almost immediately (a PITA - it obliterated the original XP): lets just say i wont even bother to pirate it when its fully released, its THAT bad and slow. Never again, I think I'll remove the dual boot very soon.

I was very careful not to say that there is no point to dual booting...There are real reasons to due it just to clarify.

Bealer
November 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
4. Making the world a better place. Why does Microsoft keep their code closed? If I find a problem with their code, why can't I fix it? I paid $200 for this program that I can use the way I want to? But I can get Ubuntu for free and do anything to it I want? I have a problem shelling out money and that item not really being mine. That is why I own a house, not a condo, I bought my car, I do not lease and I use Ubuntu, not XP as much as I can.

Hmmm a closed source application isn't necessarily a bad thing. Opera is a great example. And if you don't like buying something that isn't really yours, then that'd arguably include music cd's, consoles, etc...

I switch between both XP and Linux. I like to use Ubuntu as my main OS and Windows for gaming and any .Net development.

I've got quite a lot of experience with XP, so unattended installs, apps like nLite etc... have made stripping it out and installing it much easier. As mentioned before it's about what works for you and I find XP to be quite mature along with many of the applications on it. Hence mine runs very smoothly and without problems.

For me Linux is very different. Firstly, not needing to run disk defragmenters, anti-spyware apps, registry cleaners is a welcome change. I like it because it's free, no restrictions and I can use it how I want to. I'm currently an intermediate kind of user, but definitely enjoying the experience. Still searching for Linux equivalents of a few of the Windows apps I like, but apart from that am quite pleased.

I wouldn't say Windows is a bad OS though. It's got flaws no doubt, but in the hands of an educated user it can work very well. Same applies to Linux, so it's incredibly annoying when someone bashes it, or gives up without even spending a little time to learn about it.

lyceum
November 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hmmm a closed source application isn't necessarily a bad thing. Opera is a great example. And if you don't like buying something that isn't really yours, then that'd arguably include music cd's, consoles, etc...

I no longer buy music or movies for that reason. If I can't edit the movie the way I want or remix the song, it is not mine. I use blockbuster, as the movies aren't mine either way. I don't need to buy music, as there are free radio stations that play about anything. I am not saying this something everyone should do, but it is something I desided to do recently. All of the music I write is free to any one that wants it, and they can remix it. I only ask that they give me money if they make money off of it. If I do want to buy a song, I use allofmp3.com and change it to an Ogg file. I don't mind shelling out 7 cents for music, that's just pennies but I won't pay $10 for something that will never really be mine.

Chinkostu
November 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM
another thing

since getting EXT2 support in XP via a driver, i can now fix any Xorg errors easily, and still use the computer at the same time. thats the one thing that drove me from Ubuntu at times, whenever i messed up i was either constantly changing and restarting, or giving up and booting into XP. now i can muck around in XP with anything and be able to reset if i go wrong, boot into a friendly (ok, maybe not) area and try again.

and if it wasnt for the family being used to windows, i would have it ubuntu only. i'm even thinking of buying a laptop, getting rid of XP on it, and using Ubuntu on that. then the family can stay in lagville, and i can stay in linux :)

Kulgan
November 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Opera is a great example.

I thought opera had recently released the source? Or mebbe that's just my imagination...

civilian
November 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Intil the day full games compatibility is reached (or thats too long and I buy a Cedega membership next month) I will have dual boot for my games on windows.

LinXway
November 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Because Ubuntu or Debian doesnt install over 100 hidden communication files to allow them to read everything on my computer...how ever this cannot be said of gatesware systems.

Thats why I use linux...

holylucifer
November 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
No need for maintence tools such as registry cleaner and spyware cleaners, what a joke microsoft with that cash,compared to linux?

omg,people even admitted windows is designed for spyware.

AirAshby
December 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
To be honest if you take a good look at Vista you'll see Linux and Mac done the Microsoft way(take a stable feature and make it depend on so much coding and graphics that it becomes unstable), so really just take the open source version of Mac and implement so of the coding in to Linux, nick so windows skins and you've got a smaller, cheaper more stable version of Vista.

Forceflow
December 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
The only thing that keeps my wallet in Bill's pocket is the DirectX support in Windows. I want to play my games.

Anything else -> linux. I don't have to spend half of my resources running anti-malware stuff, which is nice too.

Kulgan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
To be honest if you take a good look at Vista you'll see Linux and Mac done the Microsoft way(take a stable feature and make it depend on so much coding and graphics that it becomes unstable), so really just take the open source version of Mac and implement so of the coding in to Linux, nick so windows skins and you've got a smaller, cheaper more stable version of Vista.

I noticed that aswell, when i tried it. I think the thing that hit me the most was the save and open boxes, which had the same buttons as in ubuntu, just in illogical places. :???:

holylucifer
December 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yes windows for games, ubuntu for everything else with some games that run natively in linux,anyways my game crashed, so .... im gonna do something else :-(.

I Wish sid meier's railroads ran natively in linux.

sparqle
December 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I switched from Windows to Linux (first Fedora, then OpenSuSE, and then Kubuntu) on my home laptop. I see the following issues:

1. Windows is more stable (yes! - I know many people will disagree here). Whenever there is a Kernel update with Linux (which happens at least once a month) - the Graphics card (ATI) and CD/DVD burner stop working. It is a pain to have to reinstall this every time. Sometimes I end-up reinstalling the whole OS. This is the reason I have switched from Fedora/OpenSuSE and then to Ubuntu. It is still a problem with Ubuntu (Edgy).
2. Lot of security issues with Windows. I am technically an advanced user of Windows, and I found it painful to keep up with all the spyware/malware/viruses. Also, you have to keep paying for those virus/spyware protection software. This is the main reason that I switched to Linux.
3. The programs on Windows are less buggy and there is a lot of software to choose from. Things like Yahoo messenger with video/voice work very well on Windows. There is no (at least I could not find it) free software on Linux that will allow you to do free video/voice chat. This has been a standard on Windows for many years with Yahoo/MSN and Skype. The communities are also much larger there.
4. Hardware driver support - Windows is better, but Linux is catching up.
5. Many streaming video/audio websites do not work on Linux. Some might require RealPlayer 10.5 - which has not been released for Linux.
6. Everything on Linux is free. If you want a similarly configured Windows machine to what I am using now, you have to pay close to $1000 on just the software.
7. Ubuntu is definitely better than OpenSuSE and Fedora.
8. Linux installation (especially Ubuntu) is much easier than Windows.
9. MS Office is much better than OpenOffice.

matchstich
December 4th, 2006, 05:36 AM
i have two machines. one with ubuntu and one with xp home. i use the linux machine everyday. the windows machine once a week. once i learn how to do on linux what i have to do on the xp machine, i will get rid of the windows. had xp pro on here before i wiped it out with the ubuntu installation.

Kulgan
December 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
9. MS Office is much better than OpenOffice.

if that's the way you think, you will love MS Office 2007. it might actually make an official release IN 2007. It has a bunch of new features, innovative solutions and is easily compatible. (It has nothing new, the layout sucks worse than before and it is completely compatible so long as you remain 100% faithful to MS).

I'm not bashing, just making a point :-k

lucky_chouhan
December 6th, 2006, 05:42 AM
computer is not to make only for play games.

you can do more then this machine if you have knowledge.

i you are only play games, movies, mp3 etc. then buy a DVD Player.
why are you use computer.

Explore you knowledge buddy.

tophatandy
December 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I have an ntfs partition (with windows installed) and then I have my linux partition..which is 160 gigs with only 30 going to windows.

I dont really do much hardcore gaming..most common fps I play is Halo, which is an ok game.. but I do like Halo Custom Edition (lets you change what you hate about halo).

Havent even really been into windows recently unless I am looking for a rare file that I can't find with gtk-gnutella.. or want to migrate some other kind of file over to linux

I prefer for my computers not to have any peep holes so I installed linux to protect my privacy from being intruded upon by mr. microsoft.

overall.. my system is much more stable and runs much smoother with many more customization options.

I like not reinstalling everytime something goes wrong.
I like being able to run free software that is stable.
I like being able to stay uptodate without selling my soul to pay for it.
I like being able to keep my computer free of spyware, viruses, and usually popups.
I like not having to pay for everything or run trials just to be able to get done what needs to get done.
I like not having it on my concience that I am supporting a monopolizing company just by booting up my computer.

I like linux.

tophatandy
December 7th, 2006, 04:07 AM
o yeah..

and no activx or registry.

Coldbird
December 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Thought I would also tell my Story... ;P

I had been a Windows User for a long long time... Well... 2 years ago I was forced to use SuSe for Student Reasons...

It wasnt exactly what I wanted to install... I thought "Just another 10gb space eater..."

Well... after some time working with it I liked the basic idea behind linux... its easy... you can simply get a pack and install it... no costs behind it... every tool the community shares is free... except some special stuff like cedega...

SuSe thought was a troublemaker... and I thought about ditching my whole Computer Setup (after windows broke AGAIN) and try one of the many other Distros...

Well... Then I saw that Ubuntu Dapper Free-CD thing... worked fine and so... but I decided to get Edgy after sometime... So - Downloaded and burned to Disc the Alternate Version (64bit Support - YEAH!) - and now im on Edgy...

About "Not wanna loosing Windows..." - there are several ways to make up for that...

If you got properly compiled and installed Drivers you can use the OpenGL HW Acceleration of most 3D Graphic Cards... allowing you to run PSX Emulators for example... (I cant live without those...) - or use Cedega / Wine to play Windows Games...

And for WORKING on Windows... (Visual Studio Coding, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop,...) You can just install VMWare... It allows the Creation of virtual computers that you can install about every windows os ever created... ;-)

Just choose to boot up a VMWare Machine and you got Ubuntu running - while Windows runs in another Window...

Sweet! And all that without a Dualboot! :D

Lster
December 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I use Ubuntu because...

It doesnt crash much.
Software is free and better.
It is faster and uses less memory.
The filesystem doesnt get so fragmented.
Better support (these forums).
Quicker boot times (only a bit though).
Better platform for programming.
It is easier to use and understand.
Its free!
Better terminal (although I am not good using it :)).
Many other trivial things...

talen.quickblade
December 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM
"So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?"

I had to respond... You are just begging for trouble with this question. Besides the obvious point of not lining the pockets of the M$ Corporate Machine with my hard earned money...

1) Because it dosent have such a VAST market share, it becomes less of a target. Less people targeting the OS with virus like stuff. I can surf with impunity and know that I wont have to worry about what my system could catch.

2) Security. M$ security holes are so highly publicized their OS paints a target on its own head. Linux on the other hand is more secure. I can use file sharing programs and not have to worry about people getting into my machine. If they do, chances are they wont know what the heck they are looking at.

3) Control. I can tell the linux to do anything, and it will do just that. While this can be a boon, I find that M$ does a lot of idiot filtering with their products. I am not an idiot, I dont care to be treated as one.

4) Open Source. I wont give explinations... if you get it: good. If you dont: do some research.

5) Crossover office, WINE, and TransGaming. With these applications, I can still run the necessary M$ products, and play my games. I dont HAVE to use Windows any more (and I dont).

alecjw
December 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I like not having it on my concience that I am supporting a monopolizing company just by booting up my computer.

Well said.

lucky_chouhan
December 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
linux can do anything as well windows. but go to new world. i think linux is a really great and more stable.

you use windows because you are using lots of years and linux you use minimal so you can the windows is best. you use linux for you any work then you say linux is better.

sorry for my english..

jtwadsworth
December 10th, 2006, 07:40 PM
This is a great thread. I have been using Linux off and on since 4.10. I load it, tweak it and eventually give up from frustration (ATI acceleration problems, etc.) But since Dapper and now Edgy, I am really CLOSE to abandoning WinXP as my primary OS for good.

The one last thing that is keeping me from moving over is that all of my finances are on Microsoft Money. I know there are Linux programs that allow checkbook etc, but do any download right from the bank and allow for direct billpay (as in not having to go to the bank website and do it by hand)? Alternatively, if not, does Money run ok in Wine or other emulation?

My machine:

2GHz P4
1GB RAM
ATI 9800 Radeon pro graphics card
300 GB HDD

Thanks!

jtw

jdhore
December 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
i have both Windows and Linux...and i have never completely made the switch...here's why:

1. i NEED dual-monitor but luckily i got that working about 3 days ago.
2. I need mIRC...i've tried other IRC clients and none match up to it (i just got it working in Crossover Office)
3. i need a good, fast torrent client (i can't figure out how to poke holes in ip tables to get fast torrenting in Linux)
4. i want to run FF3.0 easily
5. i haven't seen good .mov, h.264 support in Ubuntu yet

i run Edgy and if anyone can help me out with those 3 things, i would greatly appreciate it...that's literally all that's stopping me from making the permanent move to Linux...also, one final question, can i play the music on my iPod while i'm accessing it in either GTKPod, AmaroK or Banshee like i can on iTunes in Windows(it doesn't matter which one works as long as one does, i already have all 3)?

.t.
December 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ok.

1. You got it working.
2. You don't need it. Try (and really persevere with) XChat. Fantastic program.
3. You don't need to poke hole. It doesn't block anything by default. The reason it's effective is that by default there's nothing listening. It should be exactly the same as in Windows.
4. FF3?
5. Install the gstreamer plugins: ffmpeg and pitfdll with w32codecs (search around). Or use XINE support and libxine-extracodecs. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

And that's five things, not three.

jdhore
December 11th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Ok.

2. You don't need it. Try (and really persevere with) XChat. Fantastic program.
3. You don't need to poke hole. It doesn't block anything by default. The reason it's effective is that by default there's nothing listening. It should be exactly the same as in Windows.
4. FF3?
5. Install the gstreamer plugins: ffmpeg and pitfdll with w32codecs (search around). Or use XINE support and libxine-extracodecs. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

And that's five things, not three.

2. i tried XChat for a few weeks, but i can't live without some of the features in mIRC and 1 or 2 of my mIRC scripts...but i got mIRC running anyway.
3. i thought that was why my downloads were being slow...i was getting like 300KB/s down in windows, but on the same file, less than 2 hrs later, i was getting less than 100KB/s down on Ubuntu (there were a few less seeders, but not enough less to have that bad of a performance hit).
4. Firefox 3.0a1 (Gran Paradiso)
5. thanks for that one, but i still have jerky audio and video with gstreamer...i'll try xine maybe...

and the reason i said 3 was because i've already fixed 1 and 2 myself

Frak
December 11th, 2006, 11:39 PM
5. Xine is your best bet, light and managable, its perfect because it has no "extra" stuff, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

.t.
December 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
4. You can run Firefox 3 on Ubuntu.
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/granparadiso/alpha1/linux-i686/en-US/

But seriously, these are hardly things that force you to keep using Windows!

jdhore
December 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
4. You can run Firefox 3 on Ubuntu.
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/granparadiso/alpha1/linux-i686/en-US/

But seriously, these are hardly things that force you to keep using Windows!

i know Firefox 3 will install and run on Linux and i know how to install it, i just don't know how i would "replace" Firefox 2 with it. On my Windows box all i had to do was uninstall 2.0 and install 3.0...i know it's not that easy on Ubuntu so how would i go about doing it?

and i know these are minor, trivial things, but they're things that are stopping me from making the move because it's all stuff i use/need on a daily basis.

Frak
December 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM
i know Firefox 3 will install and run on Linux and i know how to install it, i just don't know how i would "replace" Firefox 2 with it. On my Windows box all i had to do was uninstall 2.0 and install 3.0...i know it's not that easy on Ubuntu so how would i go about doing it?

and i know these are minor, trivial things, but they're things that are stopping me from making the move because it's all stuff i use/need on a daily basis.
I think it would be sudo apt-remove mozilla-firefox2
I think not very sure.

jdhore
December 12th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I think it would be sudo apt-remove mozilla-firefox2
I think not very sure.

but, would Firefox 3 put itself in the apps menu or would i have to execute it manually (somehow) every time?

Frak
December 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Gnome should detect it automatically and add it to the menu. (Or unpack itself there)

.t.
December 12th, 2006, 01:58 AM
There is no Debian/Ubuntu pacakge for FF3. It would have to be manual. You could create a launcher and add it to the menus. You could set the default browser to that firefox 3 with System->Preferences->Preferred Applications and galternatives (look for www-browser). FF2 won't be easily removed from Edgy as it's the default browser, and lots of things depend on it (like IE in Windows).

Fatec
December 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM
i have both Windows and Linux...and i have never completely made the switch...here's why:

1. i NEED dual-monitor but luckily i got that working about 3 days ago.
2. I need mIRC...i've tried other IRC clients and none match up to it (i just got it working in Crossover Office)
3. i need a good, fast torrent client (i can't figure out how to poke holes in ip tables to get fast torrenting in Linux)
4. i want to run FF3.0 easily
5. i haven't seen good .mov, h.264 support in Ubuntu yet

i run Edgy and if anyone can help me out with those 3 things, i would greatly appreciate it...that's literally all that's stopping me from making the permanent move to Linux...also, one final question, can i play the music on my iPod while i'm accessing it in either GTKPod, AmaroK or Banshee like i can on iTunes in Windows(it doesn't matter which one works as long as one does, i already have all 3)?

to 5...i have the exact same problem which i never have been able to fix...just watchin standard 1080i HD the playback is jerky/none smooth...h264? impossible in ubuntu.

Can play both fine in windows though..and of course, its also the reason i wont switch.

And nvidia dont seem to be bringing purevideo to linux...so looks like im out of luck.

OttifantSir
December 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I have been using Windows for as long as it's been out there. I've used Microsoft since DOS 5.0 (Much better than 6.0 and 6.22 btw), I tried RedHat 6.2 six years ago, but had nowhere to look for support/training at that moment.

I now use Ubuntu for one MAIN reason, and a few minor:

MAIN: It runs on a seven year old laptop, and that means I don't have to sit by a desk to use a computer.

Minor: As I said, the laptop is seven years old. So, even with Ubuntu, it tends to freeze when I close a Skype-chat, have Opera and Gaim running, while opening JuK and scrolling a page in Opera. It freeze, saying the window I try to close are unresponsive. I may force it to close if I so please, but I will lose my work. I get no grief with this. I know I can't expect the world of this old computer. But, whereas I couldn't have all these apps running, doing this series of events on XP, and if I tried, I would crash the entire system, all I have to do in Ubuntu, is: Wait 15-30 seconds. It is unresponsive at the moment, but it will get there eventually. XP requires a reboot. (I have made the equivalent in XP)

I haven't seen many BSOD's lately in Windows. The last one I got was when I installed a PCI-to-USB 2.0 card in my server. It logged on nice and worked for all of 2-5 minutes (never less, never more) before going to BSOD. After almost sprouting into tears, thinking I had done a bad buy once again, I figured it out: First install the driver for the card, then put in the card.

My laptop is Pentium 366 with 192 MB RAM. My server is P3 1.26 Ghz with 1.5 GB RAM. The only thing the server, running XP, is doing better than this laptop is storage space and video.

Everything else is just as good on the laptop.

Why haven't I installed Ubuntu on the server? A bug called MP-BIOS bug about a timer not connected properly when trying to install Ubuntu.

I have in excess of 100 GB stored on it, and I haven't backed it all up yet.

I am still not trusting myself to be proficient enough with Ubuntu to manage to set up a server. (I got some good advice in another thread)

I will make the switch to wholly Ubuntu when I get a new laptop. With the server running as storage movie- and musicstreamer and print-server for both the laptops, over a wireless network, with this laptop replacing my stereo. (The speakers I have for the computer are superbly better than the one I have on my micro-stereo)

So, not long from now, I will have a very nice system set up for me. Only thing that could've made it better would the Dell XPS M2010 running Ubuntu (Dreams are good, arent they?)

aysiu
December 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
If you don't have enough RAM to run Ubuntu without intermittent freezing, I'd suggest you try IceWM or something lighter than Gnome. Even XFCE (Xubuntu) may help.

Popoi
December 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM

Personally, 'cause Ubuntu developers and community treat me like a User, not a Client.

Magni
December 22nd, 2006, 01:18 AM

So what are the avantages of Windows?
Since 3 years im only using debian on my desktop and i love it! Ive just installed Xubuntu on my Notebook. Its easily installed, detect all hardware, and runs fast. Every program or tool i need is in the ubuntu universe. Some good games runs(if i want play, i buy a wii or ps3) and i can change volume and brightness of my notebook(windows cant do that, because no supported hardware).
More beauty, easy handling and some another good stuff.
So wellcome community :D

.t.
December 22nd, 2006, 01:42 AM
Well, as you should be able to tell: community. Free software is developed by the people for the people. The developers write programs that they want to use. They know what they want. If there's a bug, or a feature someone wants adding, they can come along and add it.

Secondly: freedom (http://tibsplace.co.uk/blog/index.php/politics).

Westies
December 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
I just use Ubuntu to play around in. Just the experience of learning a new OS. XP will continue to be my main OS until I get around to installing Vista, though I'll keep Ubuntu for the fun of it :p

Kulgan
December 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
until I get around to installing Vista, though I'll keep Ubuntu for the fun of it :p

Wow. That's sad. Can you tell me what is new about Vista? (other than the 'look' [mac clone] and feel [brittle]). I'm just interested...

nmincone
December 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
but the reason why i started using linux in the first place was because windows breaks every few months. so one time, instead of reformatting, i installed linux and ive been using it ever since. its more stable, faster, lets you do more with your computer, hell of a lot more fun, looks better and has practically 0 security issues.

Exactly my reason, I'm just tired or Windows acting like crap. It's a pig with RAM and virtual memory, it's a nightmare to maintain or customize. I don't game much anymore, stability is my main virtue now.

foureight84
December 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Wow. That's sad. Can you tell me what is new about Vista? (other than the 'look' [mac clone] and feel [brittle]). I'm just interested...

i don't like vista so far. it won't play nice with linux when it comes to file sharing. it uses smb2.0 and linux supports only 1.0. somehow there's no back support on vista; erm or at least not that i know of.

but as of right now, vista has supremely bad hardware support. companies are straggling along to get drivers out but they're taking their time. i find that a lot of external peripherals don't work as is. if there are no drivers, good luck getting it to work; a general problem with windows altogether.

the aero effect seems pretty hardware intensive. lags a bit from time to time. i'm thinking this is more of a driver issue since i have a 6800gt... which should be plenty to run it. nvidia is still doing beta on their vista drivers so this could explain the sporadic lags.

windows may be easier to use if you're doing simple tasks, but linux is pretty easy too once you get the fundamentals.

install it for a day and see what you're _NOT_ missing out on. haha. i'm sure there are admirable qualities, but i don't think they're enough to fork over $300.

venik212
December 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Some applications came from the Unix world, and work much better in Linux than in Windows. For example, LyX (the document processor, a front end to LaTeX), runs MUCH better on Linux than on Windows. I am sure that this is true for other programs.

Kulgan
December 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
I did install vista - for a very short period of time... I managed to get the graphics to 1024x768, but it stopped there. In Ubuntu, however... and even in XP. Must be the testing of drivers. The aero thing they are all on about didn't work, when xgl is fine.

Did not get wireless working, or even ethernet - during the driver install, I got the message about the software not being designed for Vista and therefore not being able to install...
Soon sofware will be for Vista only, and users will have the choice of having outdated software or buying a downgrade. that is why I don't user windows.

JackieO
December 28th, 2006, 06:32 AM
;) Very happy multi-installer here! Just had to give the Virtual Machines a try and boy does it dig? Man I dual boot XP pro and SUSE 10.1 because I have alot of commercial software that I work with and I love the freedom in Linux but now I am not only running XP pro with about three different linux disro's on virtual machines, but a server as well. I know that you can use vmware for ubuntu, but "parallel workstation" is the grooviest. I just had to tell the rest of the world why I am using XP, it's not that it's windows or anything like that, but to have your cake and eat it too, is the best. I would recommend anyone that is a dually to try this out. It is well worth a free 14 days. And I believe I will be investing the actual 30 clams, i think, to have it forever. I can't actually believe that I am working in both o/s at the same time, It is truly a Utopia for multibooters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be behind in this technology, but I am surly glad I am giving it a try and if someone out there was looking for the same solution, I am giving this one a high thumbs up. XP is not the most wonderful thing, but having all of your favorite software at your fingertips is.

.t.
December 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I think you ought to try the other way round. I run Windows XP in a QEmu virtual machine on my Ubuntu system here because I need one program. It runs fine without the proprietary KQemu accelerator, and if you are lucky enough to have a new processor, you could use the free KVM extension to take advantage of that. I think you can save your thirty clams; and be free using a open source solution. However, if you do wish to tie yourself in to non-freedom, that is your choice.

Kulgan
December 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Everything starts lagging like hell as soon as I start XP in qemu. What processor do you have?

.t.
December 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Pentium M 1.6GHz
1GiB RAM, of which 256MiB is used for the XP virtual machine.

Kulgan
December 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
That's it...

I use a dell inspiron 510m with 512 mb ram. 256 of that to XP and neither will run slowly on a slow processor. blame it all on dell :D

JackieO
January 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
I think you ought to try the other way round. I run Windows XP in a QEmu virtual machine on my Ubuntu system here because I need one program. It runs fine without the proprietary KQemu accelerator, and if you are lucky enough to have a new processor, you could use the free KVM extension to take advantage of that. I think you can save your thirty clams; and be free using a open source solution. However, if you do wish to tie yourself in to non-freedom, that is your choice.

I have felt very unbound while using Ubuntu until I received this "solution". If I remember correctly the forum is called, "If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?". I was just glorified that I can now use both XP and Ubuntu in unisome without any problems, while still dual booting SUSE 10.1 and actually having twice the speed my one year old Dell intel duo processor can spit out; so it is in essence running 4 times faster for the applications in which I use. Needless to say, I only commented, because I am a very happy dual booter with some really great virtual O/S software. I didn't have to shell out the clams either, I am using the open source or freeware application vmware, and it works just as well, almost identically and it even supports server vms in which I have to use for work purposes. Not to mention no need to look for, install or actually build any specific drivers for my system. And lastly, I like Ubuntu and it's environment, that's why I suggested anyone give it and its positive persons environment, at least a go, that might happened to be "tied" to XP for whatever reason. My post was meant to be positive in both aspects, so I am completely "free" to express my opinions as well as yourself. And thank you for the warm Ubuntu welcome! Cheers!:roll:

.t.
January 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Hmm... I wasn't trying to sound terse. It's just I believe one should be able to use her computer with only free software, and adhere to that as closely as possible. The only binary code on my system is the firmware for my ipw2200 and the BIOS. Thus, I wanted purely to inform that - as you know of Windows - there is a free alternative. However, I'm not telling you how to live your life. It's your choice. Again - I try not to be terse. It's a written medium, and hence often hard to determine tone. I'm only here to help!

BoyOfDestiny
January 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
That's it...

I use a dell inspiron 510m with 512 mb ram. 256 of that to XP and neither will run slowly on a slow processor. blame it all on dell :D

I don't want to drive it too offtopic, but for those that want to run windows xp (in Ubuntu and other Distro's) Frankly I encourage it if necessary (better than a host ;) ).

If you aren't using it for gaming (I don't think you'd get far in qemu if the games need 3d horsepower), but try lowering XP's bit color, or remove the theme-ing...

Note: Just changing it to classic, actually themes it as classic, still using the resources. You need to actually go to control panel -> system settings -> Performance or something like that (going from memory) and choose "best" which happens to turn off the silly stuff...

Other things you can do is ensure things like system restore aren't running (like you'd need such a thing on a drive image)

Disable any unnecessary processes with msconfig, (start -> run msconfig) you may have to google what is ok to remove)

A bit of the pain in the tuckus, but best of luck.

fokuslee
January 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM
i hate ubuntu
it is counter productive
i spend all my time playing around with it and never do any real work!! it just look too good esp with beryl grrrrr
so i have to login to windows and haul assss

Kulgan
January 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
i hate ubuntu
it is counter productive
i spend all my time playing around with it and never do any real work!! it just look too good esp with beryl grrrrr
so i have to login to windows and haul assss

everything seems to work fine for me, even out of the box. Wireless works fine, so long as I follow the same procedure every time I reinstall. Anything in particular that you don't like, that doesn't work, or do you just want to complain about ubuntu in general?

noneofthem
January 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM
GNU/Linux and Ubuntu in particular have "rescued" me from my life as a MS Windows "slave". Slowly loosing control over your own computer was getting really painful. Also all these security threads/programming flaws in MS Windows were getting really annoying.

I tried my first GNU/Linux distro a couple of years ago. At that time it was Mandrake. Unfortunately I was not "ready" yet to make the change as I was not fully aware of all the advantages open source software and especially GNU/Linux can bring you. So I went back to Windows XP.

1 1/2 years ago I made a second try and I got stuck with Ubuntu. At the beginning I was still booting into both Windows and Ubuntu, however after a couple of weeks I realized that I had not really seen Windows for a while. So I kicked it off my hard drive to make more room for useful stuff.

Since than I have become a devoted Ubuntu user and I do what I can to promote open source everywhere I can find an open mind.

When I go shopping for hardware I only purchase things from manufacturers who support GNU/Linux and I do everything I can to explain to people what the problem is about Windows, closed source, DRM and so on. Most of the people do understand it afterwards. The only big problem is that Joe Average is not even aware that there is something else than MS Windows.

I am not saying that everyone should use GNU/Linux right now. I am just saying that there should be a real market out there. People should get a choice and our governments should bring up rules that would improve general user awareness of different operating systems. E.G. computer manufacturers should offer us to choose our OS or at least give us the option to purchase a computer without anything preinstalled.

Also I believe that magazines, newspapers and TV channels should be fined for saying "new computer virus out there". It should say "new MS Windows virus out there" to be more accurate.

Those are just some thoughts I have... We will see what the future brings...

All the best...

None Of Them

dallas7
January 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Because in Linsucks I get to see neat stuff like this (see attachement).

aysiu
January 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Get IEs4Linux, then.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux

Enverex
January 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Principal, morals and mission statement behind the OS(s) mainly. Built for the wishes and benefit of the users, not for profit of the company.

manmower
January 22nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
Principal, morals and mission statement behind the OS(s) mainly. Built for the wishes and benefit of the users, not for profit of the company.
Exactly. I used to just not care enough to switch from Windows, but the more I thought it through, the more evident it became that I wanted to get off that train. The Apple/MS/proprietary/lock-in train that is.

ucsdrake
January 22nd, 2007, 04:40 AM
coming from a student in post secondary ... where every little penny counts ... no way am i paying for another windows (vista) ... as of the moment i dual boot so i can slowly intergrate myself into linux and still play games on windows

but youre right ... i believe many of the causual pc users dont have a reason to switch over to linux ... yet

cunawarit
January 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Dont blame Linux; blame the Website developers for not supporting it.

cunawarit
January 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
i believe many of the causual pc users dont have a reason to switch over to linux ... yet

I think Microsoft is destined to dominate the corporate environment for the foreseeable future, but the home desktop is a different matter all together. This is where Linux will succeed once you are able to walk out of Wal-Mart with a Chinese made PC for $100, it will undoubtedly come with a flavour of Linux and not Windows.

Canis familiaris
January 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Linux is basically more secure, robust, stable, and it's hassle free to use (did I mention no spyware, adware, trojans, worms, or viruses) and is FREE.
And of course it has great community.

Canis familiaris
January 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
It is not Linsucks it is Linux. If these narrow minded corporates design their websites primarily for Windows, Linux is not to be blamed.

homh
January 23rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
Linux is basically more secure, robust, stable, and it's hassle free to use (did I mention no spyware, adware, trojans, worms, or viruses) and is FREE.

The I LOVE YOU virus was the best one ever made and a classic of originality. I still laugh over that one...though I wouldnt think it was so funny if I had gotten caught in that one. :o

It is a relief not to have to worry about viruses or spyware or keyloggers. I was feeling I was spending all my time running virus scanners and deleting bad cookies.

I dont really play games on my computer, except if you count an occasional game of MAHJONG or PACMAN. Mostly use my computer for serious stuff ... like online chatrooms and posting boards :)
I do have a hobby of genealogy and there really arent any good genealogy programs for Linux.
Thats the main reason I still keep MSWINDOWS. I havent tried to configure my scanner for Linux yet but have concerns there. Otherwise I dont see a need to use MSWINDOWS very much.

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
I have nothing against Windows. I think it's a very good OS in it's own right. But for me, I just prefer Ubuntu. I'm not a gamer, and open source software like Evolution and OpenOffice help me get my work done, and are just as good as Outlook and Office. And the fact that I don't have to pay for any of it is a huge plus, as well.

AusIV4
January 23rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
I have a Linux partition and a Windows partition on my laptop. Why do I use Linux?

Windows:
I don't like paying $30 a year for anti-virus support.
I don't like wasting the overhead of running an anti-virus and firewall.
I don't like having to wait 10 minutes after logging in for the system to start up so I can use it.

Linux:
I do MythTV, which lets me watch live or recorded TV anywhere I can get a wireless connection to my network.
I like being able to customize my system with simple bash scripts and things like LIRC. I can push a button from my bed to turn off my monitor, start playing relaxing music, set my alarm and in the morning I can turn it off with an infrared remote.
I like having a composite desktop (compiz). Not only does it look cool, it provides means for organizing my windows such as Scale and Put.

I'm not much of a gamer, so I'm not missing any games. My music transfered easily, and my videos and other media still work fine. The only problem I have is that Suspend and Hibernate don't work, but my laptop can boot linux in under a minute, so that becomes less necessary than in Windows, which took at least 5 minutes to do a full reboot.

Other than that i haven't lost any functionality (that I need), I have more flexibility (scripting scheduling, remote), and have fewer expenses (firewall, anti-virus, etc.).

erlyrisa
January 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
I have Ubunutu on 1 PC out of 5 on my network at work.
I used ubuntu excessivly for a while and built webpages , did me spreadsheets -so on.
I recently realised that I am spending more time doing things that are wastefull of time on linux - things that don't help me work faster or efficiently. - for 1 wasting time trying to figure out if my printer will work on the linux box.
The other computers on the other hand - some are old some are newer but they all have the functionality that I need - the spreedsheet - the webbrowser, what else do I need.
The linux machine on the other hand takes longer to setup, does nt come with any software other than rudimentary ones .eg wordprocessor, for example I use corelDraw to do all the business printing, I need to use Coreldraw because it can print tiled pages - ther is absolutley nothing out there that can do that.
-Then you look at the adobe camp - and it's pretty obvious why they are on macs - it helps them make money effieciently. - linux does the opposite - it consumes your time with learning and searching for possibilities.

Anyway - the future of computing is Xaml - which should be device independent - and who do we have to thank for this, Microsoft , for adopting the Xaml into thier WPF WCF etc. - now everyone will be Xamling it. So really the future operating system will be just a scriptable framework (like a web browser).

sir_fragalot
January 24th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I been using Windows all my life and well I was happy. Not satisfied to my full content but happy. On my laptop my Windows install disk has been well giving me trouble since I got the darn thing so when I got back to college my internet was not working on Windows, put in my ubuntu disk bam worked. I got rid of windows and switched right away, and as of right now which has been about a week and a few days I am doing everything I did on windows except for stream videos from gamespot.com, and I love Ubuntu alot more than Windows. (Plus I am in the ACM at my college which has a Debian based robot :D , a Ubuntu server and 2 linux clusters :D , so I have to learn linux one way or another).

ilago
January 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Anyway - the future of computing is Xaml - which should be device independent - and who do we have to thank for this, Microsoft , for adopting the Xaml into thier WPF WCF etc. - now everyone will be Xamling it. So really the future operating system will be just a scriptable framework (like a web browser).

Don't get too excited about an open standard that is covered by patents and protected by copyright law. I think you'll find that Microsoft's XAML will sound like an "open" standard, be marketed as an "open" standard but will not be fully compatible in some way with everything. Don't get too excited just yet.

There is a standard for html. Internet Explorer still interprets and renders html outside the W3C standards. png format for images is open and internet explorer doesn't interpret it correctly. Open standards aren't in Microsoft's interests today and won't be in the future.

I can't believe I've been reading this thread since 2005 :eek:

atihimself
January 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM
much easier to find programs what you need, for example I needed subtitle generator... so I just typed sudo apt-cashe search subtitle... and voila I got three different ones... no need to use google anymore

tacm
January 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
To be honest, Kerb is right. People here are biased like anything and would never ever admit that Windows has anything right.
That is simply not true. Windows does a LOT right. In most cases it "JUST WORKS" In windows it never took me a week to get my wireless card to work. BUT that being said EVERY widows machine Ive ever used has gotten sick. Virus software is a joke, it simply dosent work. I have other reasons for my switch to Ubuntu but they are personel. I am VERY happy with Ubuntu and I am a brand new user that quit windows cold turkey. Oh and BTW I dont care one bit about free software Id happily pay twice what they are asking for vista for Ubuntu
Stability and peace of mind meen so much more to me than money.

louis_nichols
January 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM
That is simply not true. Windows does a LOT right. In most cases it "JUST WORKS" In windows it never took me a week to get my wireless card to work. BUT that being said EVERY widows machine Ive ever used has gotten sick. Virus software is a joke, it simply dosent work. I have other reasons for my switch to Ubuntu but they are personel. I am VERY happy with Ubuntu and I am a brand new user that quit windows cold turkey. Oh and BTW I dont care one bit about free software Id happily pay twice what they are asking for vista for Ubuntu
Stability and peace of mind meen so much more to me than money.

That's "free" as in "free beer". There's more to "free software."

CowzRule
January 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Because I can

g3k0
January 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Speed. I dont like waiting hours for the OS to load and then hours to open a program...Especially PDFs....stupid adobe...

goofey24
January 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: linuxSucks.jpg Views: 51 Size: 98.3 KB ID: 23544

Dont blame Linux; blame the Website developers for not supporting it.

I keep a WinXP machine around for use of AIM (yes I know about gaim) and for games. Any one ever try to install AIM for Linux?- not happening!![-X

g3k0
January 25th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Aim? what does Aim have that Gaim doesn't? or Meebo?

whizbaby
February 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Just to add some recent experience: one good reason is to be able to make your XP bootable again. A machine of a client couldnt boot anymore because it couldnt read

/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

which apparently happens quite often (just google this path and youll see...). There are mainly two reasons for this happening:

1) XP wasn't shut down properly (whatever this means)
2) The file is fragmented as hell and causes a read timeout at boot time (!!!!!!!!!)

The XP repair option on CD couldn't fix that (tried several times) so I booted into a linux I installed a few months ago in dual boot to Windoze and was, with help of ntfsutils (namely ntfsmount), able to restore the file from an XP repair folder (being able to search the internet was quite helpful).
So if you stick to the 'customer oriented' structure of windoze bettah have a linux on your hand...(resp. why xp if you need linux anyways?)
You wunnah guess how many of these are integrated in the fabulous microsoft code?? Nah you dont.

monkman
February 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
the last thing left i'm using windows for is megui and x264

aktiwers
February 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I simply like Linux better.

antharr
February 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Amarok is pretty good, but the only thing it has over iTunes, in my opinion, is being able to fetch the lyrics of whatever song you're playing--though, that's a pretty awesome feature!

When I first starting using Linux, I really missed Winamp. I happen to stumbled across XMMS yesterday and it is a carbon copy of Winamp. I am a very happy camper.

louis_nichols
February 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM
When I first starting using Linux, I really missed Winamp. I happen to stumbled across XMMS yesterday and it is a carbon copy of Winamp. I am a very happy camper.

Then you might also like beep-media-player (aka bmp), which is basically xmms with a GUI written in GTK2. it even takes winamp skins ;) they are now working on bmpx, which will add some functionality, but is yet in alpha stage (at least it was last I checked).

Rodneyck
February 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Amarok is pretty good, but the only thing it has over iTunes, in my opinion, is being able to fetch the lyrics of whatever song you're playing--though, that's a pretty awesome feature!

Yes it is! Especially if you are like me and can not sing, yet want to hit the high notes on that special part of the song...*sigh* brings tears to my eyes and everyone who listens.

=D>

billdotson
February 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I mean every piece of software you need t do anything is free, and one of the biggest things for me is that you can fully customize your themes, program icons (you can even make your own) and the only real reason for me to keep Windows is because my TV Tuner the HVR-1600 (which should've been a WinTV-PVR-150 which would've worked on Linux) and that I like to play commercial games. If the ivtv guys got a driver for the HVR-1600 man that would be awesome. Linux is just cooler because you can do so much more. You can do anything from the command line if you want whereas in Windows you can only do basic things. No installing or opening programs or anything like that.

Kulgan
February 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
well, you CAN start programs from the command prompt in windows... you just have to cd through 500 directories to get to the binary... and what's up with all the spaces in filenames?...

Sephiroth2088
February 19th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Mainly there are only two things keeping me from leaving windows for good.

First off is due to the fact that windows no longer boots, ever since I formatted my drive with linux. I also did not partition enough space to linux to store much info, and I can't write to my windows drive because of an "Unclean journal"

The other thing is .NET framework, I have a couple simple programs in windows that make my life easier that use NET framework. I can't install them without NET framework. I have installed mono but these programs still tell me "You must download NET framework"

Aside from these two issues, I would never return to windows....

Oh and one other thing, amarok makes my MP3 files 60MB which is way to big for a single song, and then when I put them on my IPod they don't even play.

So I guess that's three issues.

pirothezero
February 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
The other thing is .NET framework, I have a couple simple programs in windows that make my life easier that use NET framework. I can't install them without NET framework. I have installed mono but these programs still tell me "You must download NET framework"

What programs just curious.

Kulgan
February 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM

Isn't that a little like saying that you can't install linux programs on windows because it doesn't have GTK2+ support?

linux_kid
February 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Oh and one other thing, amarok makes my MP3 files 60MB which is way to big for a single song, and then when I put them on my IPod they don't even play.

Then use rythombox or vlc

whizbaby
February 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
First off is due to the fact that windows no longer boots, ever since I formatted my drive with linux. I also did not partition enough space to linux to store much info, and I can't write to my windows drive because of an "Unclean journal"

Reread my post from one week ago. It is most likely that if you restore the files in /windows/system32/config from /windows/repair your windoze will boot again.

Sonicgoo
March 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I wanted a secure operating system to surf online with. I was getting all sorts of spyware, and adware, from nefarious surfing with Windows.

So I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot, the install was a pain due to a hardware conflict. Now that it's installed, I love it! It's faster than the windows install. I can try different programs every day if I want to. I can surf where I want without worry.

I installed Ubuntu just for the security, however I've been loving it. I've been using the computer way to much. It has inspired me to start working with c++ again, a compiler comes with the software. My wife likes it as well I've set her up with her own password and Ubuntu is doing a good job of keeping them separate. I can send documents directly to her desktop from the command line. I've started using a RSS reader for the first time, just went into the package manager and installed.

I was given a used Dell computer and it had a faster CPU than the one that I was using. So I yanked my hard Drives out, one with Ubuntu and one with Windows. Guess which one I haven't been able to boot since. You got it the Windows install keeps giving me the missing NTLDR error. Arrgh Windows blows.

The best part is no matter what Ubuntu works, and is fun, and its nice to be part of a community as opposed to owning something.

Frak
March 15th, 2007, 02:51 AM
...and its nice to be part of a community as opposed to owning something.

I'm adding that to my sig if you don't mind? :guitar:

julian67
March 15th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I'm adding that to my sig if you don't mind? :guitar:
But you never owned any software supplied by MS, you were licensed to use it under certain unreasonable conditions ;)

Frak
March 15th, 2007, 03:01 AM
But you never owned any software supplied by MS, you were licensed to use it under certain unreasonable conditions ;)
Good point, MS never lets you own anything, just like they licensed MS-DOS to IBM, IBM didn't buy it, they just had some rights to it.

Trebuchet
March 15th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Good point, MS never lets you own anything, just like they licensed MS-DOS to IBM, IBM didn't buy it, they just had some rights to it.One would have thought that Big Blue would have had better lawyers than a college dropout working out of his garage. :)

Sonicgoo
March 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Good Points!

I don't mind if you want to quote that for a signature,

carry on

p.s. If I understand correctly my Windows install doesn't work after a motherboard upgrade, because of measures Windows takes to ensure that your not stealing their product!

use a name
March 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Because I needed a development platform compatible with unix. ;) With Ubuntu, I've definately left windows. I just don't miss anything, except for an occasional game I'd like to play, but that's about it. So for me it's more like "If you have linux, why use windows?"

Condoulo
March 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Well I use my eMachines with Ubuntu as my main computer.
I eventually want three computers
My eMachines with Ubuntu for my regular stuff
Windows XP for gaming (Microsoft is only good for gaming. :P You can't deny that)
And a Mac for Video editing (Macs have superior Video Editing Software)

But I use Ubuntu cause of Freedom.

FoolsGold
March 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I use Linux for a few reasons, but one of my biggest is that I can see the direction that Windows/Microsoft is headed, and I certainly don't like what I see. Windows will continue to become more draconian in its licensing, its obsession with including DRM and other inhibitors, and quite frankly I don't want to have any part of it. Since it will keep getting worse in Windows while Linux will continue to grow, expand and become even more tasty, I made my choice.

Trebuchet
March 16th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I use Linux for a few reasons, but one of my biggest is that I can see the direction that Windows/Microsoft is headed, and I certainly don't like what I see. Windows will continue to become more draconian in its licensing, its obsession with including DRM and other inhibitors, and quite frankly I don't want to have any part of it. Since it will keep getting worse in Windows while Linux will continue to grow, expand and become even more tasty, I made my choice.A reasonable course of action.

DRM doesn't bother me - yet. I have no pirated musiv or films. If there comes a point in time where I can't play my own legally purchased music CDs and DVDs, then a radical reevaluation of my relationship with Microsoftwill be in order.

Frak
March 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
A reasonable course of action.

DRM doesn't bother me - yet. I have no pirated musiv or films. If there comes a point in time where I can't play my own legally purchased music CDs and DVDs, then a radical reevaluation of my relationship with Microsoftwill be in order.
OK, so we'll give you like 5 days then, right?:lolflag:

jcconnor
March 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM
A reasonable course of action.

Take your legally purchased music that you bought from iTunes and put them on your Zune. Oh sorry, you can't. DRM. Or take your legally purchased music that you bought from Rhapsody and put them on your iPod. Oh, sorry, you can't. DRM.

Now take those same music files. Burn them to an audio CD and re-rip them as MP3 files so you have a backup of them and can now put them on your music player that you legally purchased. Oh, sorry, you just bypassed DRM protections and are now liable for theft under the DCMA (here in the States). Guess what - you just became a pirate.

DRM has about 3% to do with pirated CD's and DVD's and about 97% percent about restricting what you can do with your purchases. At least that what Steve Jobs said.

Because I don't have an iPOD but have bought tracks from iTunes I can't play my own legally purchased music on my own legally purchased MP3 player.

And the DRM that MS has built into the operating system (not just wrapped around the file like the aforementioned music sites) is designed to provide the same "protections". They already know you're a pirate, you just haven't raised your colors yet, so they can't start firing the cannons - yet.

the8thstar
March 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I chose to install Ubuntu 6.10 and I kept my Windows XP MCE 2005 install as well. The reason? Versatility. What I don't have in one system, I usually find in the other.

Ubuntu is fresh, more stable, more secure and less demanding in resources than XP. After one week of use, I have a system that's open (windows and Ubuntu can recognize one another and use each other's documents) and which looks beautiful (Beryl GUI + Vista Aeroish skin).

XP is the current standard for most home users... but until when?

PS: I'd like to learn how to make programs for Linux/Ubuntu. Do you have any ideas or recommendations on programming languages (Java, C++, etc...) and courses?

Thanks!

Frak
March 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
C#, its easy, and its effective, you just have to be aware it requires Mono, (i.e. the Linux substitute of .NET Framework). and that M$ is arguing that its infringing on Intellectual Property Rights, but other than that, C# is very handy to have.

the8thstar
March 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the speedy answer Frak! :)

lakersforce
April 2nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
- No brutal denial of my basic freedom rights by forcing my to accept an unfair agreement I dont want to accept

FuturePilot
April 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Many reasons

No activation required
No cryptic EULA (GPL is so simple, this software is free, here's where you can find the source code, modify it if you like, redistribute it if you like, if you redistribute it, supply a location to download the source code.)
Linux is more secure
Linux is more stable
Linux doesn't hog system resources (Even with Beryl:))
Because I like how extremely customizable Linux is
Because I was board one day and decided to try Linux and then became addicted I like it so much
Because I can:lolflag:

julian67
April 2nd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Many reasons

No activation required

Luckily that's been addressed and solved for us http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

old_geekster
April 2nd, 2007, 06:01 AM
Yes, I have XP Pro on one drive and Edgy on the other. I have XP to play games.

When my rig won't play the new games any longer, it will be running Ubuntu. I will buy a console to play games.

Edgy has been extremely stable. I am running Beryl 0.2.0. also.

M$LOL
April 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Luckily that's been addressed and solved for us http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

LOL

Chrisj303
April 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I use a triple boot mac book OSX/UBUNTU/XP - i use ubuntu for internet and wordprocesssing, watching DVD etc. But for music production and VJ'ing (which the mac was bought for) i HAVE to boot into osx or windows.
The complete lack of strong commercial software support is really holding linux back.

ubukool
April 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
For me, it's the spirit of open source. I strongly agree with altruistic things, not just trying to make a fast buck but genuinely helping people and open source fits this very nicely. Just look at this community for example - a bunch of helpful, friendly and attentive people. With Ubuntu, you feel part of something. Where's the Windows community, for example?

It seems to me that Ubuntu is born of the kindness and altruism of Mark Shuttleworth and his team of highly competent programmers, whereas Windows is born from the desire to make a profit and control a market. I think there's a big difference there.

But of course it's not just that - Ubuntu looks better, is faster, more stable and so on, just as people have previously said.:)

Roberticus
April 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well, I mostly use Win XP and have Ubuntu with enlightenment* on another comp.

At this moment I don't really see any point in moving over to linux, since I don't have any problems with viruses/spyware and/or hackers. Win XP has never crashed for me since I installed BBLean, perfectly stable and low on resources too.
Another thing: the sound doesn't scratch all the time in Windows... (As it does in all distros I've tried)

*I really love Enlightenment! flashy and all and very easy on resources =)

jfinkels
April 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
For me, it's the spirit of open source. I strongly agree with altruistic things, not just trying to make a fast buck but genuinely helping people and open source fits this very nicely. Just look at this community for example - a bunch of helpful, friendly and attentive people. With Ubuntu, you feel part of something. Where's the Windows community, for example?

It seems to me that Ubuntu is born of the kindness and altruism of Mark Shuttleworth and his team of highly competent programmers, whereas Windows is born from the desire to make a profit and control a market. I think there's a big difference there.

But of course it's not just that - Ubuntu looks better, is faster, more stable and so on, just as people have previously said.:)

I agree...I like people who are nice to each other! :D

kelvin spratt
April 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM
simple i can leave it on the net for days on end without having worry about virus attacks active x etc
and i can do most things in linux that i can do in xp and i'm a photographer and need a fast stable
and cost effective os http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

proxess
April 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
this question is badly put...

If you have linux, why the hell do you need wind0ze?

aysiu
April 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
this question is badly put...

If you have linux, why the hell do you need wind0ze?
The question is badly put, but I don't think you can assume either way that if you have ______ you would then have no need for _______, however the blanks are filled in.

You may have Linux and need Windows for some Windows-only application. Many people dual-boot for this reason.

jerrylamos
April 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Well, there are 6 computers on this LAN. Three of them came with XP on them, the other three don't. Microsoft would like me to buy a copy of Microsoft XP and a copy of Microsoft Office for each. $$$$. Plus, for this "ordinary desktop computer user", XP doesn't do anything that I can't do with Linux, two exceptions: Epson printer head cleaning & cartridge changing, done with an old Win 98, and also some internet videos example ABC News.

And another biggie to me, for the problems I have with XP, "tough luck". Ubuntu community has been a big help.

Cheers, Jerry:)

i-am-me
April 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Simple, the very reason I switched to Ubuntu was because I didn't like how Microsoft could literally control everything we could and couldn't do. In Windows, you couldn't customize your GUI, window manager, and several other things without either hacking the files (not the best thing to try), or getting a completely different alternative to Explorer. Even though I may be smart enough not to get spyware and viruses, others that use my computer might be. If I need help doing something, I've got a whole lot of people to ask and talk to, Microsoft's help just isn't that extensive, flexible, or helpful. Software upgrades is another thing. I need to update software on Windows, I've got to manually find if there are any updates to often used programs, then install each of them separately with every fifth one asking me to restart. Next, Ubuntu is free and has free software in both ways (if you don't count the time used and the amount of money a single cd costs). Ubuntu even boots way faster and launches Firefox (my preferred browser) a whole lot faster than Windows. Ubuntu is just better overall and I could keep listing, but I want to see what the others said.. You know how Google's motto is "Don't be evil?" Well I think that Microsoft's near monopoly is evil.

bren21
April 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I keep the XP for windows only apps of course, and I have linux because I like it a lot better. It doesn't have any of those annoying programs that pop up on start up, and it is a lot faster. Also, I just love the minimize all button! I use it all the time, and when I am in windows I find myself pointing my mouse at the Start button before I realize I am on windows.

firedancer
April 28th, 2007, 10:49 PM
i'm getting to know ubuntu now takes some time , but you get smarter

i vahe a dual boot sys ubuntu an xp

but xp gets me tired recording :guitar: one day good next day problems :mad:

so i trying to get ubuntu better and might run my whole sys on it too

ErikTheRed
April 29th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Main Reason: It's just more fun to use Ubuntu (Kubuntu in my case). I really love Beryl and Amarok is definitely my favorite music player.

I really only still use windows because I'm a big gamer so I'm kinda stuck.

Keiranto
May 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I started off only using windows, as it was installed on my computers. i then found linux, and started running knoiix off a boot cd. then i gradually made the progression, installing ubuntu, customizing, and now i only use windows for games and to access my school web folder from home, which only works in IE7.

the one thing that was the turning point was finally being able to use wireless internet, and as soon as i can buy cedega and somehow get my school folder to work, bye-bye windows!

v105
May 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
For me the advantage is that it is free, so no messing with activations or paying a fortune. No digital rights management that can be enabled remotely to stop or even watch what people are doing - and it runs a lot faster than windows on my PC. AMD 3GHz with 512MB RAM and 128MB video card.
I downloaded pirated versions of XP before and couldn't be bothered any more. I do have a legal copy on the laptop and that will stay until it breaks!
If I was buying a new PC say from DELL, I would have the one with Ubuntu on it.

That's from a non-technical side.

PuppyFromHell
May 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I personally love the fact that Linux doesn't randomly crash, or crash when I plug a new device in. I plugged my Alienware mp3 player into my windows computer and it gave me a BSoD, taking my mp3 player with it. So now I'm on Ubuntu with e17 and I know that whenever something screws up it's my fault and I can usually fix it. I still run in a dual boot though just in case. I also love the community support on these forums and across the net. Something I really missed on XP.

nilved
May 17th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I use it because of the amazing interface and overall power and customization. It's just much easier to make your own than Windows.

NilsE
May 17th, 2007, 02:55 AM
If it was not for my job I would have no need for XP. So as long as my job requires XP I am stuck with it. Ironically my job also requires knowledge of Linux so I need them both.

Even for work when I am outside of the office I rarely use XP since I can do most everything like e-mail and IM from Ubuntu and it boots much quicker.

On a personal note, if I didn't need XP for my job I would also be opposed to having to eventually going to Vista.

Kulgan
May 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
On a personal note, if I didn't need XP for my job I would also be opposed to having to eventually going to Vista.
Yeh. Vista is going to be a real pain for the likes of schools, because the licensing cost is so damn high and they get criticised for not having the "latest and greatest" - which for some reason means Vista.... isn't that ironic.

I think the biggest reason that I don't want anything to do with Windows is the cost. Sure, you can do some cool stuff that mostly doesn't work, but I'm not paying that kind of money, especially when I don't have it lying around.

benanderson
May 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
This old PC (667MHz PIII, 384MB RAM) is chugging away with Ubuntu 7.04, music player in the background, firefox with three tabs, two internet messengers and azures all running without a single hiccup. Hasn't crashed randomly yet, the only times it's crashed is when I tested the experimental desktop enhancements. A simple ctrl+alt+backspace solved the problem in a flash.

No threat of viruses/spy ware etc. And the way Linux handles user accounts means that a virus or piece of spy ware wouldn't really be able to do much (if anything) outside the users home folder and it would require the user to start the program itself. No more random software downloading and executing itself. Looks like I don't have to worry about my system going to hell... how can I complain? =D

Now the software for it...
Openoffice is a godsend, before I had MSWorks which was about as useful as a dried trout in oil and MSOffice is WAY too expensive, Openoffice is compatible with MSOfiice file types too... hasn't complained about opening a file yet. =]
GIMP, a great photoshop replacement with far less system requirements, a little tricky to get used to compared to photoshop but when you finally wrap your head around it I can honestly say I don't miss photoshop one bit! Beast, haven't been able to use it fully because this computer is so old, but I've heard some damn good songs with it that sound just as professional as any song I've ever heard (and made) in Fruity Loops 7 for windows. Free cad software that does it's job nicely and doesn't cost over 2000!!!... Again, how can I complain? =]

Once I get a better PC and a Wacom graphics tablet I can wave bye bye to windows forever, Linux gives me everything I need for free with little system requirements and great security, unlike XP and Vista.

So to summarize;
Fast even on old hardware
Wide range of software from general desktop use to top-grade specialist software that gives even the commercial Windows variants a run for their (misplaced) money.
Security is some of the best out there! Second only to the Macintosh.

Linux does what I want when I want without question for free. :KS

Thats why I use Linux =D
Peace
-Ben

RJQ
May 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM
My XP came with the computer, no reason to trash 300 dls just because, at this point I rarely use it, efficiency is the main reason especially with an average computer, Ubuntu simply is much better and faster in general than XP, it gives my computer life when with xp was soon to be obsolete. now the main reason for using xp is for testing html in explorer and for gaming.:popcorn:

Kulgan
May 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Testing HTML in IE? You can do the same in FF... can't you?

kvonb
May 19th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Q. If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

A. Because rather than wasting my time constantly updating virus checkers and removing malware/spyware. I can learn new and interesting stuff! Such as building and running my very own server complete with email, webmail, webserver, IRC server, Enemy Territory server, TeamSpeak server, FTP server, pro quality groupware suite, file server, streaming media server, torrent download centre, and just about anything that I can imagine at zero cost running on discarded hardware that I can get for next to nothing!

And I have the peace of mind and clarity of conscience that I didn't steal any software to do it! :D

joe.turion64x2
May 19th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I have a laptop with a legitimate version of Windows XP which remains there (in a tiny partition though) because I have already paid it, and for 'compatibility' reasons (you can never know what given program will force you to use Windows, like the GRE test program).

On the other hand I do almost everything in Linux (almost because I only update the antivirus in Windows) and that is the only OS in my desktop and the alternative in the laptop. I like it better than Windows because in Linux I know what is going on.

mwacky
May 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I have xp and choose to use Ubuntu because every six months or so with windows I have to reformat because windows simply grinds down and performance drops significantly, this happens to everyone I work with from the super programmers to the sales people who know nothing about computers. In contrast I can leave my Ubuntu desktop running for months and months without even restarting the machine, Windows won't last two weeks without having to restart.

dolphin_oracle
May 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
for me it was stability and the desire not to reinstall xp and all its programs. sure you can put xp back ona system in short order (about an hour) but the installed programs are where the time is.

its still on this machine, but Ubuntu is the day to day OS. Windows is around for my son's games and the odd website that requires IE instead of firefox.

its been a long time since xp was booted on this machine.

APMT19
May 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Is Ubuntu better than Windows XP?

jamesjtucker
May 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
My usual motto for this type of question is "Do not feed the trolls" but, what the heck, ill bite.
Better at what? Games? Web Browsing? Development? Crashing?
There is no single answer to that question. Its like asking "Which is better, Coke or pepsi", To some folks, there is a clear answer, but at the end of the day, cola is cola, and both have their uses.
Its better to start by asking "what do you DO with your computer?"
I use mine for penetration testing, general web stuff, playing some games, audio and video editing, and dvd authoring, all of which ubuntu does very well for me.
I like linux for a number of reasons, chiefly philosophical, but there are many other sound reasons as well. Its stable, has all the software i need to both do my job and play at home. I can update ALL the software on my computer with a few mouse clicks, and also, i dont need to spend a dime to do it. When i wanted a new windows app, as a poor college student, i needed to pirate it. No such problems with linux.
You know, When i installed linux for the first time, i remember thinking how it made using computers FUN again, something i never got from installing the latest version of Windows.
Linux is challenging to use at time, there IS a learning curve. Ubuntu as a distribution does make things easier, but this is not a 1:1 comparison.
I will say that gaming can be a PITA on linux. Its not impossible, but not always the easiest thing to get running.
Why not download the livecd and give it a test drive? As a windows user, i would recommend trying kubuntu to start, as things will have a similar feel (*ducks* to avoid future flames on that one :) ).

atlfalcons866
May 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM
hey i made a vs in school yesterday when i was bored after mcas

Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn Vs Windows xp

Windows xp is one of the most if not popular os. It is made by the evil company Microsoft. Ubuntu on the other hand is a free open soruce os linux distro. It aims for usabllty and free software. Support is avaible for paid or free on ubuntuforums.org. Windows xp has been sucedded by windows vista

The installition by windows xp is done by text for the beginning. You just insert the cd. Its pretty straight forward you follow the directions. Format the disk with ntfs or fat32. Fat32 is limted to 32Gb because microsuck feels like it has no use. While this is partilly true. Fat32 is compatible with virtually all other os. NTFS is superior to fat32 in many different ways. Too many to list. Best thing to do is put fat32 on disks under 32GBS and NTFS on disks larger than 32Gb. NTFS is fully supported under windows 2000,xp, and vista. NTFS has limited read/write support under linux. So after the disk is formatted you just watch the bar go to 100% it goes pretty fast on a computer 933MHz and higher. SO after you restart you think your done but your not. You get a GUI. This is last part. When your done your gretted by that annoying pen clipper. It asks for your name and all the that.

The installition of ubuntu is done from a cd aswell. But it is a live cd to give you a picture of what the os is like. It is also more user friendly than windows xp crappy install. So you just follow the instructions then bam your done.

The most annoying part of winblows xp is the updates. I hate updating xp. When I finsh my xp install. I have to upgrade to sp2 then install about 140 updates. It is annoying as hell and takes about 5 hours all together.

Ubuntu updates are what makes it extremely easy. Ubuntu uses apt-get to update the system. It is very intelligent. It finds updates for your computer and for all the programs as well. When I first installed ubuntu 7.04 on may 15 there were only 12 updates and only took 10mins to do that.

Windows xp is an easy but time consuming to maintain to keep at full speed. Windows xp does a great job with system files from getting overwritten. If only if it was great with fragmentation. Fragmentation is the process of file being brocken up to bits and pieces. No this doesent that the file is corrupt. It just means windows xp is bad at housekeeping. It slows down the harddisk because the hdd heads have to do extra seeking to find all the scattered files. TO eliminate fragments you have to defrag it. Guess what windows is bad at it too. It only defrags the files dosent bother to consildate free space.

Ubuntu is basiclly manintence free. Ubuntu uses an advanced file system. It is EXT3. IT requires no defragmentation as EXT3 puts it files in non fragmented free space. Of course when harddrive runs of space it will start fragmenting. But unlike windows ubuntu acutully dosent fragment on purpose.

Windows stinks with security. Almost every virus known to man is written for windows. That is why you also spend most of the time for windows updating and scanning for malware,virus ETC. That is why windows has millions of updates. The one thing that annoys the **** out of me is genuine Microsoft. Almost every program made from micorosft requires genuine software.

Microsoft also updates windows xp when it feels like it.

Ubuntu is safe from viruss. There is viruss for linux but not enough to get virus scans. Ubuntu is safe from hackers too. Updates are released as needed.

Well at last a strong point for windows xp. Games. Almost every game is written for windows xp.

Games for linux is a weakpoint. There are no good games for linux. But you can get handful of games to run under an emulator such as WINE or cedaga.

You can upgrade windows xp to a newer os. Once every six years that is.

Ubuntu is updated every six months. Its free too.

You are basicly restriced in windows xp. You cant tweak it or modify. You are under microsofts control. Microsoft controls your computer 95% of the time.

In ubuntu you can do anything you want. Since it is open source you can do anything. You can change the color th einterfce anything.

Which os is for me

Ubuntu is not for everyone though. You cant expect to just switch to linux have photoshop install right away. Ubuntu dosent have the support and files needed to run windows apps. There are free alternatives thought like GIMP to photoshop OPEN OFFICE to Microsoft office. You will need to know the basics of how a computer works. Like the hardware how they all work together. There is also the command line that is needed at the bare minium. Like SUDO apt-get update. If you don’t like windows xp (like me) then maybe you can try ubuntu out from the live cd. IF you are happy with windows xp and you have all the programs then you should stay with it. Remember Ubuntu is not for everyone. Windows xp is not for everyone ethier.

Pros of Windows xp

1.Almost all programs are written for xp.

2.games

3.simple

Cons

1.maintence

2.updatess

3.genuine

4.crashs

5.no support after 2007

Pros of ubuntu

1.easy to use

2.excellent support from ubuntuforums

3.easy updates

4.comes with basic apps

jonom
May 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM
The installition by windows xp is done by text for the beginning. You just insert the cd. Its pretty straight forward you follow the directions. Format the disk with ntfs or fat32. Fat32 is limted to 32Gb because microsuck feels like it has no use.

Fat32 is only limited to 32G because MS hobbles their formatting programs. It will support up to 2TB, I believe (I've got a 500G drive formatted Fat32).

It is limited to a 4G max file size though.

Games for linux is a weakpoint. There are no good games for linux. But you can get handful of games to run under an emulator such as WINE or cedaga.

There are lots of good games for linux! Here's one list in the forums, it's not complete but does list a lot of them: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427205

rdmike
May 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
You forgot the cons of ubuntu....getting the simplest things (a printer) to work is a week long endeavor. I hope it is as good as y'all say but my experience so far hasn't been a positive one.

Sef
May 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM
You forgot the cons of ubuntu....getting the simplest things (a printer) to work is a week long endeavor. I hope it is as good as y'all say but my experience so far hasn't been a positive one.

You should start a thread in absolute beginners, general help, or hardware and laptops. Please make sure that you mention what kind of printer you have. My printer took about 2 minutes to set up.

Going to merge this thread with another since they are both covering the same issue.

Spr0k3t
May 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM

I wouldn't say it takes a week. I purchased a printer that was known to have very little support, but I got it working with the help of another.

karellen
May 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Pros of Windows xp

2.games

3.simple

I believe that the no 1 pros of xp is essential. what good is an os without top-notch applications ?

ceelo
May 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Curiosity, pretty much. Been using Windows my whole life, it's interesting to see that I can do pretty much everything I do in Windows, in Linux and it's all free. I don't really have anything against Windows, but I have hardly used it since jumping into Linux.

karellen
May 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Curiosity, pretty much. Been using Windows my whole life, it's interesting to see that I can do pretty much everything I do in Windows, in Linux and it's all free. I don't really have anything against Windows, but I have hardly used it since jumping into Linux.

same goes for me. curiosity can be a very strong reason
;)

Rellin
May 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

That is why.

karellen
May 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

That is why.

interesting and instructive reading, it took me a while :D

rdmike
May 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah I tried that with no success thanks for the suggestion though.

Bachstelze
May 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
For the much superior video encoding tols, hail to AviSynth !! But I don't have it installed "for good", I just run it in vmware :p

afljafa
May 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
hey i made a vs in school yesterday when i was bored after mcas

Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn Vs Windows xp

Windows xp is one of the most if not popular os. It is made by the evil company Microsoft. Ubuntu on the other hand is a free open soruce os linux distro. It aims for usabllty and free software. Support is avaible for paid or free on ubuntuforums.org. Windows xp has been sucedded by windows vista

The installition by windows xp is done by text for the beginning. You just insert the cd. Its pretty straight forward you follow the directions. Format the disk with ntfs or fat32. Fat32 is limted to 32Gb because microsuck feels like it has no use. While this is partilly true. Fat32 is compatible with virtually all other os. NTFS is superior to fat32 in many different ways. Too many to list. Best thing to do is put fat32 on disks under 32GBS and NTFS on disks larger than 32Gb. NTFS is fully supported under windows 2000,xp, and vista. NTFS has limited read/write support under linux. So after the disk is formatted you just watch the bar go to 100% it goes pretty fast on a computer 933MHz and higher. SO after you restart you think your done but your not. You get a GUI. This is last part. When your done your gretted by that annoying pen clipper. It asks for your name and all the that.

The installition of ubuntu is done from a cd aswell. But it is a live cd to give you a picture of what the os is like. It is also more user friendly than windows xp crappy install. So you just follow the instructions then bam your done.

The most annoying part of winblows xp is the updates. I hate updating xp. When I finsh my xp install. I have to upgrade to sp2 then install about 140 updates. It is annoying as hell and takes about 5 hours all together.

Ubuntu updates are what makes it extremely easy. Ubuntu uses apt-get to update the system. It is very intelligent. It finds updates for your computer and for all the programs as well. When I first installed ubuntu 7.04 on may 15 there were only 12 updates and only took 10mins to do that.

Windows xp is an easy but time consuming to maintain to keep at full speed. Windows xp does a great job with system files from getting overwritten. If only if it was great with fragmentation. Fragmentation is the process of file being brocken up to bits and pieces. No this doesent that the file is corrupt. It just means windows xp is bad at housekeeping. It slows down the harddisk because the hdd heads have to do extra seeking to find all the scattered files. TO eliminate fragments you have to defrag it. Guess what windows is bad at it too. It only defrags the files dosent bother to consildate free space.

Ubuntu is basiclly manintence free. Ubuntu uses an advanced file system. It is EXT3. IT requires no defragmentation as EXT3 puts it files in non fragmented free space. Of course when harddrive runs of space it will start fragmenting. But unlike windows ubuntu acutully dosent fragment on purpose.

Windows stinks with security. Almost every virus known to man is written for windows. That is why you also spend most of the time for windows updating and scanning for malware,virus ETC. That is why windows has millions of updates. The one thing that annoys the **** out of me is genuine Microsoft. Almost every program made from micorosft requires genuine software.

Microsoft also updates windows xp when it feels like it.

Ubuntu is safe from viruss. There is viruss for linux but not enough to get virus scans. Ubuntu is safe from hackers too. Updates are released as needed.

Well at last a strong point for windows xp. Games. Almost every game is written for windows xp.

You can upgrade windows xp to a newer os. Once every six years that is.

Ubuntu is updated every six months. Its free too.

You are basicly restriced in windows xp. You cant tweak it or modify. You are under microsofts control. Microsoft controls your computer 95% of the time.

In ubuntu you can do anything you want. Since it is open source you can do anything. You can change the color th einterfce anything.

Which os is for me

Ubuntu is not for everyone though. You cant expect to just switch to linux have photoshop install right away. Ubuntu dosent have the support and files needed to run windows apps. There are free alternatives thought like GIMP to photoshop OPEN OFFICE to Microsoft office. You will need to know the basics of how a computer works. Like the hardware how they all work together. There is also the command line that is needed at the bare minium. Like SUDO apt-get update. If you dont like windows xp (like me) then maybe you can try ubuntu out from the live cd. IF you are happy with windows xp and you have all the programs then you should stay with it. Remember Ubuntu is not for everyone. Windows xp is not for everyone ethier.

Pros of Windows xp

2.games

3.simple

Cons

1.maintence

2.updatess

3.genuine

4.crashs

5.no support after 2007

Pros of ubuntu

1.easy to use

2.excellent support from ubuntuforums

3.easy updates

4.comes with basic apps

Most of this is bias rubbish.

julian67
May 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Most of this is bias rubbish.

:D if I was the poster I'd use the OS with the spellchecker

XP is not losing support end of 2007, this is just when it stops being available for sale. XP Home and Media Center will be supported for 2 years after Vista shipping, and Pro for a further 5 years.

XP is "simple": try installing, maintaining, repairing, diagnosing it. XP is complex. Try using accounts with different privileges and restrictions and see how many applications fail. For the user XP appears to be simple because it's familiar but as soon as they want to do something unusual like change their icons or configure desktop or window behaviour it gets messy.

XP: crashes: not really since SP2 for most people. People running signed drivers and not using warez probably don't ever see that bsod unless they have a hardware problem. I'm not a Windows user or fan btw but we might as well be honest because there are plenty of genuine things to criticise.

afljafa
May 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
XP is "simple": try installing, maintaining, repairing, diagnosing it. XP is complex. Try using accounts with different privileges and restrictions and see how many applications fail. For the user XP appears to be simple because it's familiar but as soon as they want to do something unusual like change their icons or configure desktop or window behaviour it gets messy.

I defiantly agree with the first part - the biggest problem usually ends up being file permissions (write) that cause the grief. However I find XP to be completely agreeable when it comes to customisation. So much more so than the linux gui environment. Windows docks are better - windows desklets are much much better and it`s pretty trivial to do away with the explorer interface and go minimalist.

XP: crashes: not really since SP2 for most people. People running signed drivers and not using warez probably don't ever see that bsod unless they have a hardware problem. I'm not a Windows user or fan btw but we might as well be honest because there are plenty of genuine things to criticise.

Agreed - I havn`t seen a BSOD since Win2000. Lock ups are few and to tell the truth - I do get the occasional program hang in gnome as well.

ryanVickers
May 29th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I'm leaving this post now before I explode! :lolflag:

P.S. windows hater right here! :)

init1
May 31st, 2007, 02:35 AM
The reasons why one would use linux if they had windows?
Customization
When I use a windows PC, I expect many things. The task bar will be at the bottom, the start menu will be at the far left, the clock will be at the far right, my open programs will be in the middle, there will be a desktop with icons, there buttons for closing, minimizing and maximizing on the right on my windows, and many other things in addition. Most of these things cannot be changed. In Linux, all of those things can change. In fact, I do not have a desktop, panel, or even windows decorations. Why? I don't need them. I use a terminal emulator for most of my tasks. It is far easier and quicker to type in "firefox &" than to find the desktop icon or search through the menus. I even use the terminal emulator for file managing. Typing "rm file" is faster than minimizing my windows, finding the file on my desktop, right clicking, selecting delete and clicking "OK" to confirm. Even if windows does have the command prompt, it has far less commands and is less useful.
Function
Windows is only good for installation on one PC. With Linux, I can boot from the CD for recovery or install to as many PC's as I choose. I don't want to pay for my software. Everything I need I can download off the internet.
Change
I have used the Windows interface for years and have gotten rather board with using the same interface for so long. Linux is very refreshing and does not slow me down
Summary
With Linux, I can do so much more. I can change anything I want. With Windows, I cannot. That is the flaw of proprietary software. The command line does so much more, and is so much faster than the default explorer.exe that windows uses. I don't need or want so many features on my desktop. Also, newer versions or windows software tends to take up a lot more space and runs slower.
So, the main theme is speed. I can do what I want faster and for far less with Linux than with Windows. I do not use Linux out of necessity, but because it feels more natural and gives me lots more options.
For me, the choice is clear. Linux is so much better. Windows is good for compatibility, and not much else.

I'm leaving this post now before I explode!

P.S. windows hater right here!
I agree with you completely

GrueTamer
May 31st, 2007, 02:45 AM
Because they can? I started using linux because I wasn't afraid, and because I knew that nothing was stopping me. Even if linux is superior to windows in your eyes (I think it is, but windows isn't evil or anything), a lot of people think that microsoft is doing the right thing, and that they're benefiting the consumer by coming out with easy to use products that are simple and familiar. These people go right down to the microsoft employees. Even if linux is for you, it's not for everyone, and you chose to use it, which is a perfectly good reason to use linux.

Windows should in fact be THANKED, as it helped make computers a common household item, instead of a geek thing that took an IQ of who knows what to use. Sure, other companies helped, but none succeeded like microsoft did.

Another perfectly good reason to use linux instead of windows is because you believe in the GNU philosophy. The free OS (free as in freedom) may be one of the greatest achievements in computer history, as it gave the people who wanted to learn computer stuff the ability to, as commercial companies don't let anybody see their source code. Linux also gives a good place to learn about software diversity, since you may only use Nero for burning in windows, and you don't think anything of it, but in linux, you can clearly see different software that achieves the same goal, and achieves it well. Linux is all about choice, and in the end, you use it because of your own choice.

init1
May 31st, 2007, 02:48 AM
Is Ubuntu better than Windows XP?
Yes

init1
May 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM
Because they can? I started using linux because I wasn't afraid, and because I knew that nothing was stopping me. Even if linux is superior to windows in your eyes (I think it is, but windows isn't evil or anything), a lot of people think that microsoft is doing the right thing, and that they're benefiting the consumer by coming out with easy to use products that are simple and familiar. These people go right down to the microsoft employees. Even if linux is for you, it's not for everyone, and you chose to use it, which is a perfectly good reason to use linux.

Windows should in fact be THANKED, as it helped make computers a common household item, instead of a geek thing that took an IQ of who knows what to use. Sure, other companies helped, but none succeeded like microsoft did.

Another perfectly good reason to use linux instead of windows is because you believe in the GNU philosophy. The free OS (free as in freedom) may be one of the greatest achievements in computer history, as it gave the people who wanted to learn computer stuff the ability to, as commercial companies don't let anybody see their source code. Linux also gives a good place to learn about software diversity, since you may only use Nero for burning in windows, and you don't think anything of it, but in linux, you can clearly see different software that achieves the same goal, and achieves it well. Linux is all about choice, and in the end, you use it because of your own choice.
Ok, I suppose I have to agree. There are people who cannot use anything other than the easiest possible. Me? I am a complete geek who uses the xterm all the time. In fact, the firefox session am using now was started with "firefox &".

init1
May 31st, 2007, 02:56 AM
same goes for me. curiosity can be a very strong reason
;)
That is the exact reason I tried Linux.

init1
May 31st, 2007, 03:03 AM
I use it because of the amazing interface and overall power and customization. It's just much easier to make your own than Windows.
I am in complete agreement

init1
May 31st, 2007, 03:06 AM
Testing HTML in IE? You can do the same in FF... can't you?
Yes, mostly. IE does support some really useful javascript functions, though.

init1
May 31st, 2007, 03:09 AM
Blame the site then, not the OS

init1
May 31st, 2007, 03:23 AM
Still, many games dont' work on Linux. I've got Doom3, UT2004 and Red Orchestra working on Linux. However, they all perform quite badly, and I can't turn on AA/AF/vsync. I can live without AA, but AF and vsync are very important. If I could turn them on I'd probably get around 2 fps, so I guess it's a good thing that they don't work. :-? Frankly, I don't give a damn who's fault it is that my games run poorly on Linux, but the fact of the matter is that if you have an ATI videocard you'll suffer from the limitations I've mentioned, and pointing out that it's ATI's fault won't fix anything.

Oh, and you can't minimize in fullscreen mode, which I like to do on occasion.
Yes, actually you can minimize in fullscreen. Just use a window manager that supports it

tact
May 31st, 2007, 04:12 AM
[...]In reality the spyware is a big problem only because of the fact that the average computer user is attracted to flashy things and clicks.

You are correct if you are implying that an intelligent computer user (as opposed to "average computer user") wont be so plagued with spyware.

But even intelligent computer user can be hit just visiting an apparently good site. If using windows OS.

To me this is the real reason that linux is not adopted by the mass public, theres really no reason to go over to linux if you have windows and a casual computer user.

You may be right. The following are my reasons for moving over from XP to ubuntu, to so many people they may not be reasons at all:
1. My experience with XP was that over 6 to 9 mths of regular usage (despite regular maintenance, update installs, and constant vigilance towards avoidance of any spyware, virii etc) it would get slower, slower and less stable until I would be forced to do a reinstall
1a. This seems not to be a feature of linux so far in my experience. I relax, no longer needing to be constantly alert to such threats and consequently have a more pleasant online experience.

2. Reinstalling WinXP is such a chore. (Only mentioned because its needed every 6-9mths). Not only is it a chore because it is time consuming in itself. But the post-installation tasks are HUGE.... because XP stores essential configs and such in so many places (registry as well as file locations all over your HDD) when you reinstall the OS you have to start from scratch and install all your applications all over again.
2a. Linux installs pretty fast and easily. Does not need to be installed every 6-9mths just to keep the PC useable.
2b. Once installed the post installation tasks are minimal. (eg installing office, anti virus, anti spyware, reconfiguring every application, is not a separate task).
2c. If ever you do reinstall (and remember it will be for a good reason, not just a 6mthly maintenance task to keep the PC working), and have put the OS on its own partition - you can delete/recreate/format/blow away the OS partition and install totally clean and once the OS is reinstalled .... all your configs for all your programs are still there hidden in your home folder. Click on your email app and guess what - it goes and gets your mail cos its still configured! etc etc etc....

3. If you are clever enough to install windows to C: and all your programs and data on D: (for example) and during reinstallation format C: drive... how many of your programs will still be configured ready to use after XP reinstallation - none. How many will even still work - not many because even though the main program files may be stored on D: and still there, often critical DLLs are installed on C: and configs in registry and these will be deleted when C: was formatted.

In fact some of your windows programs will not only refuse to work (missing DLL's) but when you try reinstall them they will refuse to reinstall saying "Uninstall previous installation first"... and when you try to uninstall the previous installation the uninstall will fail because essential uninstallation information is missing (it was on C too). Then you have a nightmare fighting to just get what you had working before, working again.

3a. None of this is a feature of linux.

afljafa
May 31st, 2007, 05:18 AM
The reasons why one would use linux if they had windows?
Customization
When I use a windows PC, I expect many things. The task bar will be at the bottom, the start menu will be at the far left, the clock will be at the far right, my open programs will be in the middle, there will be a desktop with icons, there buttons for closing, minimizing and maximizing on the right on my windows, and many other things in addition. Most of these things cannot be changed.

Of course they can - you can even do away with explorer completely if you like and install blackbox. Works fine.

Windows is only good for installation on one PC. With Linux, I can boot from the CD for recovery or install to as many PC's as I choose. I don't want to pay for my software. Everything I need I can download off the internet.

I can do the same in windows. Pretty much every decent piece of software out there will nowadays run on both OS`s - and if not - there is usually a reasonable equivilent.

init1
May 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Ok, so there are shells available, even beyond blackbox. I can't argue with that. But with Linux, I get EVERYTHING I need, the OS included. Of course, this is about using Linux instead of Windows if you have both.
I guess that ruins most of my rant, actually. I will rely on viruses and software updates. If you want a newer version of Windows, it is most likely going to take up far more space and use far more CPU and RAM.
But again, this is only if you have both. Wow, I can't say any more

amadeus266
June 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
I have XP and Ubuntu running on 2 seperate machines using a KVM switch at home and honestly I only use XP for my games that don't run in linux. I keep XP around due to the fact that I am the IT manager for a local music store and unfortunately our POS software is windows only. This basically means that I need to keep windows around and keep my skills up in order to be more efficient at work. BTW my work computer also runs Ubuntu!!! Gotta love rdesktop.

Dark-Ace
June 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
I don't really use Linux, i only use the live cd,my dad won't let me install so if i'm able to get linux onto a usb flashdrive then i'll get back to you in this but for now,full time xp user.

j.miller565
June 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
I only use windows for Battlefield 2 and FIFA 06

Cope57
June 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
I actually forgot I had a 15Gb XP partition on my 120Gb hard drive until I read this post.

I use Linux all the time, I just forgot why I keep my XP partition. :???:

Maybe I'll delete the XP partition when I need more space.

joe.turion64x2
June 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I actually forgot I had a 15Gb XP partition on my 120Gb hard drive until I read this post.

I use Linux all the time, I just forgot why I keep my XP partition. :???:

Maybe I'll delete the XP partition when I need more space.
It is a similar case here, Windows XP has 40 out of 120GB. I remember it remain here because:
1.- It was already charged (paid).
2.- The built-in webcam will only work with it.
3.- The buit-in SD card reader will only work with it.

Because of reason 3 Windows became the place to store the pictures I took with my digital camera (that is the only useful info it has). However since I bought an external SD card reader for use in Linux, point 3 is no longer of concern.

I guess Windows is still there because I can not know what damned Windows-only program will I need in the future.

Joe.

dolphin_oracle
June 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
I keep it for tax software - damn the IRS!

santy_kushwaha
June 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM
it has to do lot except gaming computer are not meant for games windows is closed source. i know people which uses windows and don't know nothing when they face a problem because for then it is easier to work on it and they don't know how to struggle but whereas linux user are well famillar with the O.S. they run they fix their problem and in the mean time they do helps others who are facing that problem. So working in linux is like a family everyone share where as in windows is nothing like that

kamaboko
June 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM
it has to do lot except gaming computer are not meant for games windows is closed source. i know people which uses windows and don't know nothing when they face a problem because for then it is easier to work on it and they don't know how to struggle but whereas linux user are well famillar with the O.S. they run they fix their problem and in the mean time they do helps others who are facing that problem. So working in linux is like a family everyone share where as in windows is nothing like that

Christ, puullleeeeezzzzz. I know plenty of Windows Guru's, and they are more than willing to help people out with MS products. Linux users represent less than 1% world wide, while MS has 87% of the world wide market. You're going try and tell us that there are no MS support groups? Wake up. Here are just a few.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?lnk=srgmt&q=microsoft

whizbaby
June 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Linux users represent less than 1% world wide, while MS has 87% of the world wide market.
Your numbers are 133% useless.

kamaboko
June 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Your numbers are 133% useless.

But still a FACT.

shijirou
June 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Windows XP = Games
Ubuntu = Everything else

m_atif
June 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Only advantage of linux is it is free -although according to latest Dell PC's which are being shipped with ubuntu are only 50 $ less expensive than basic vista.
Otherwise Linux for Desktop is quite a nasty choice for beginners. Windows is much more mature platform for beginners. Better driver support and mostly it does what is required (again for naive user).
I personally recommend windows for beginners as it has good support for drivers, games, no work arounds required most of the times-unlike linux (aaah how dare i say they are bugs) and it is only 50$ more expensive than linux on Dell PCs. Linux to me still has a long long long way to go for a desktop operating system.... Still good for servers.

karellen
June 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Only advantage of linux is it is free -although according to latest Dell PC's which are being shipped with ubuntu are only 50 $ less expensive than basic vista.
Otherwise Linux for Desktop is quite a nasty choice for beginners. Windows is much more mature platform for beginners. Better driver support and mostly it does what is required (again for naive user).
I personally recommend windows for beginners as it has good support for drivers, games, no work arounds required most of the times-unlike linux (aaah how dare i say they are bugs) and it is only 50$ more expensive than linux on Dell PCs. Linux to me still has a long long long way to go for a desktop operating system.... Still good for servers.

not only for beginners. if you are an user with specific requirements and needs (like dreamweaver, photoshop, video editing etc) or you simply want some features (webcam in yahoo messenger/windows live messenger) windows is also the (only) choice you have. it's just a fact

julian67
June 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM
not only for beginners. if you are an user with specific requirements and needs (like dreamweaver, photoshop, video editing etc) or you simply want some features (webcam in yahoo messenger/windows live messenger) windows is also the (only) choice you have. it's just a fact

dreamweaver, photoshop

These are not needs or requirements, they are personal choices. There are free open source applications with which you can perform the same tasks. Video editing???? There are Hollywood studios as well as numerous artists around the world who are managing to create and edit video using GNU Linux. Pixar, ImageWorks and Dreamworks all use Linux and I heard they are doing ok ;)

You might be aware of or interested in http://www.elephantsdream.org/

Elephants Dream is the worlds first open movie, made entirely with open source graphics software such as Blender, and with all production files freely available to use however you please, under a Creative Commons license.

The short film was created by the Orange Open Movie Project studio in Amsterdam during 2005/2006, bringing together a diverse team of artists and developers from all over the world.

You have the choice.

bsell
June 6th, 2007, 03:08 PM
dreamweaver, photoshop

These are not needs or requirements, they are personal choices. There are free open source applications with which you can perform the same tasks. Video editing???? There are Hollywood studios as well as numerous artists around the world who are managing to create and edit video using GNU Linux. Pixar, ImageWorks and Dreamworks all use Linux and I heard they are doing ok ;)

You have the choice.
Pixar, ImageWorks, and DreamWorks all use expensive, proprietary animation software like Maya, Lightwave, Poser, 3D Studio Max, etc. that cost several thousand dollars. The Linux workstations running these aren't cheap either. They cost between $2,000 and $16,000 each due to the hardware requirements needed for rendering.

The Elephants Dream would never have seen the light of day if Bowie State University had not donated access to its XSeed server cluster (240 servers with dual-core processors running for 125 days) to render the movie. How much do you think it would have cost to buy the equipment or lease it to render the movie?

Suggesting alternatives exist that will perform like Dreamweaver or Photoshop is part of problem with zealous 'nix users. Nvu and the Gimp don't fill the needs of professionals anymore than Blender fulfills all of Pixar's needs. I can use AutoCAD to connect to other designers and engineers while collaborating in real time on a shared drawing. QCad doesn't even come close to filling these needs.

Linux is a great operating system. But that is all it is - an operating system. The graphics applications that come with a typical Linux distro are good enough for undemanding day-to-day use, but they are sorely lacking for professional use.

upbeat.linux
June 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
If I could trade in my based games for their Linux versions without a cost I would. I don't think its right that people like EA are going to charge you for the Linux version of BF2 if you already own the Windows version.

Similar to other users the only reason that I keep windows is to:

a. Play games that are a head ache to configure in Linux
b. Keep up on Windows skills so I can provide support at my job as needed
c. Test how web pages look on different versions of IE, Firefox, Netscapre, etc in Windows (via VirtualBox)

livingtarget
June 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
First off let me say I much prefer the linux OS than windows. It looks better on most fronts and is just more responsive for me. I still keep it around because I need it still.

For stuff like dreamweaver (lol), photoshop, flash I usually boot into my virtual machine. Or I could boot into windows, but I dislike that more and more. My windows suffers from slow boots and a bunch of driver problems. In comparison linux works out of the box.

I do use windows quite a lot for games where I really have to reboot for. But I'm starting to prefer buying native linux games like UnrealTournament2k4, Doom3, Darwinia et all. I can't wait for the new Unreal Engine 3 being ported. It will bring next-gen to linux and should be interesting with all the games licensed off it, also looking forward to opengl 3.

bfree
June 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I'm a long-time Windows developer; for desktop development, Windows is my platform of choice - however, for online service development and OpenGL development, Ubuntu is my platform of choice.

* I choose Windows for desktop development, as that's where the market's at.

* I chose Linux for online service development because it's free; I choose Ubuntu in particular because it is so easy to set up and maintain. I can carry a working Ubuntu system on a USB fob.

* I choose Ubuntu for OpenGL because benchmarks (http://graphcomp.com/pogl.cgi?v=0111s3B1) demonstrate that it's much faster than Windows for OpenGL rendering.
See http://graphcomp.com/benchmarks

hobieone
June 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
becuase i believe linux or unix base os are going to be the future xp is probally the most stable and as good an os as windows will be since it apparent that vista has gone back to the days of windows 98. but i just have a feeling that the windows kernel may already been pushed to its limit which is why ms is looking in to linux not to destroy it but possibly take over so they can switch to a unix based which i hate to say is much more secure and stable platform

karellen
June 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
dreamweaver, photoshop

You have the choice.

I know I have the choice as I am a long-time linux user. and needs determines choices ;)

kamaboko
June 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Something to play with using outdated crusty old equipment. lol.

dkaddict
June 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
A mate of mine has a laptop which he only goes on line with to email people every now and then. He does everything else with it off line so he decided to ditch broadband and go to dial up as it would be cheaper. He just isn't interested in the internet. Fair play to him. We all have choices. Now, he pays more to update his antivirus software than it costs him to dial up the net and email his friends.
That just isn't cricket now is it.
His biggest comp bill is that paid to his ISP while downloading virus updates, and to the antivirus software vendors.
I suppose I can see why the internet ain't for him. It costs him money for having it without even really using it. Some people must be scared of losing thousands to all of these scares which are spread around the web so just stay away from the medium. I have mentioned the security of the alternatives to Windows to my friend and others but the suspicion is too much for them. They think it is all a con.
Not having to worry about getting something like a virus is one of the best aspects of using Ubuntu for me. It could be for others too if people in general learn that the motives of the open source community are honest.

dk

Cannaregio
June 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
"If you have Windows XP, why do you use GNU/linux?"
Because it IS much better for everything (apart maybe some games that don't run in GNU/linux very well).

1) I don't have to use that Norton can of worms anymore
2) No antivirus, no firewall, no nagging software, no malware, no spyware, no DRM crap, nothing sending my data over to some idiot sniffer.
3) (Admittedly, this could be used in windows xp as well) Because I can/should use as a bowser Opera instead of that crap Microsoft browser AND HENCE I HAVE THE FANTASTIC right click ---> block content feature. I can read whatever without idiot advertisements.

Gosh: I really love linux now. A few months (less than one year) have convinced me over and over. Never again windows: never again.

I use linux BECAUSE I have used and had windows xp.
The question should be reversed: if you have used linux, why should you again use windows at all?
And I bet few would be able to motivate such a weird choice :-)

rolnics
June 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Well i haven't read through all of the previous 140+ pages! But those that i have i agree with the comments. This is my third adventure with Linux and it has been the longest, most rewarding and frustrating so far!

I've only been using Ubuntu for about 3months now and there's stuff i love. Like all the free software out there I'm not going spend 300 ($590 at present) on Cubase when Rose Garden will do the same for free! The thing that scares me is Terminal, but hey so did DOS when i first entered that black screen, but once i learnt how to use it, no probs, and i will one day be as good with Terminal!

So i say long live Linux!! . . . maybe I'll become windows free one day

karellen
June 19th, 2007, 10:22 PM
And I bet few would be able to motivate such a weird choice

it's your opinion and nothing more or less. don't jump to conclusions
;)
p.s. I bet many would be able to tell you why they use something instead of something else, don't you think so?

voltagex
June 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
In reality the spyware is a big problem only because of the fact that the average computer user is attracted to flashy things and clicks.

Quote of the YEAR!

Windows for games, Linux (Debian & Ubuntu) for the real work

ubun7upanz3r1337
June 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well for one thing, i believe that Ubuntu has better looks than XP and to me that is a big plus. Lots of preloaded software packages. Free things that i don't have to buy. Customisability and WORKSPACES!!!!

saxuntu
June 20th, 2007, 04:35 AM
1) FREE OS
2) FREE SOFTWARE
3) Less worrying
4) Won't have to upgrade to Vista

racso39
June 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM
The average user, like me, is not used to put codes to make things to work.

Windows is attacked by a lot of viruses and spyware... but like Slicedbread, I don't download everything I see or click on flashy things, and I am running AVG Free antivirus and Windows defender (yes, a big LOL) however have been like 4 or 5 months I haven't reinstalled my Windows and I don't have infections.

I think Linux still need a long road to progress to convince the average user for the switch, I think Linux will be someday as easy to use as Windows. Windows might be unstable with the time, but heck is very easy to use, unlike Linux.

For now, I use Linux for browsing the Internet, seems like every two days I learn something, like yesterday I learned how to install my video card drivers, also learned the difference between :EXE and packages, but I'm afraid I will have to learn programming.

tact
June 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
[...] or you simply want some features (webcam in yahoo messenger/windows live messenger) windows is also the (only) choice you have. it's just a fact

hehehe... I recently installed fiesty on my wife's laptop. She asked for it after seeing how much I was enjoying fiesty on my company laptop.

After using gaim for a while on the yahoo network to chat to her sister-in-law she asked me "where are those animated thingies that that you can send to the other person, like a smiley but animated and says things?"

I said thats not a feature of gaim. Her response "Ohhh :( I guess I will just use windows then to chat."

*sigh* hehehe

digital_exhaust
June 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Well....this is a bit embarrassing.. but here goes.

I still use Vista because I have invested more hours than I can count beta testing, reporting bugs, talking, discussing and learning the new OS inside and out... and I guess I like it. I think... of course there is always the possibility that it has become a bit like a broken in pair of sandals... comfortable.

I just recently loaded Feisty on a machine I built specifically for Linux, and you know what? I like it. It has all the "eye candy" that Vista brought to Windows and more.. and it's fast.. really fast. My Vista machine is a far superior machine (2g ram, X1950pro 256m) and it doesn't seem nearly as responsive as Ubuntu..on 512m...and the video card is a joke

I doubt I'll ditch Vista completely for quite some time.. It just seems that I never use it anymore...but I'm sure I'll keep it around.. it is a pretty nice OS, but what I have learned of Ubuntu so far.... well, I'm very impressed, to say the least.

ElemonGW
July 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
hehehe... I recently installed fiesty on my wife's laptop. She asked for it after seeing how much I was enjoying fiesty on my company laptop.

After using gaim for a while on the yahoo network to chat to her sister-in-law she asked me "where are those animated thingies that that you can send to the other person, like a smiley but animated and says things?"

I said thats not a feature of gaim. Her response "Ohhh :( I guess I will just use windows then to chat."

*sigh* hehehe

Btw., there are icon packs that have them....

Cope57
July 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Windows XP = Games
Ubuntu = Everything else

Absolutly right...
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7242/msvslinuxsig2sg.png
By Cope57 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cope57) at 2005-09-27

maestrobwh1
July 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
This reminds me of where I grew up. You were either a Chevrolet person or a Ford person, and the fact of the matter is that some of us just like what we like.

Although, being a practical person, I got really, really, really annoyed when after installing XP, there was no codec to play a DVD. And, and (I say this with increasing vehemence), when I clicked a link, it took me somewhere where I had to... PAY for something? You kidding me with this crap? I have to run two anti-adware items, a virus scanner, a firewall... and yes, all of these things can be found for free, but with linux, you go to a forum, someone says, "You need package 'whatever'" and that is it. Oh, and if your product goes out of date, at lease here, you will get help without paying for it, and at least here, your upgrade is free.

Yes, getting some things to work out of Linux is a bit more challenging, but those things are even becoming seamless. Apple's *aac files from the iPod are one example. Getting them to play on feisty is quite simple.

I don't dislike XP. I do have it on my first partition. I will say that it takes twice as long to boot. I don't know if I would use it at all if I did not have an iPod. There still is not an equivalent to maintaining music on it other than iTunes.

and then, some of us just like to walk on the road lesser traveled.

fjf
July 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Do you know www.rockbox.org?. You can install it and get your ipod to be an external hard disk and just drag-and-drop your music on it.

I don't dislike XP. I do have it on my first partition. I will say that it takes twice as long to boot. I don't know if I would use it at all if I did not have an iPod. There still is not an equivalent to maintaining music on it other than iTunes.

M$LOL
July 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well....this is a bit embarrassing.. but here goes.

I still use Vista because I have invested more hours than I can count beta testing, reporting bugs, talking, discussing and learning the new OS inside and out... and I guess I like it. I think... of course there is always the possibility that it has become a bit like a broken in pair of sandals... comfortable.

Yeah, I know how you feel, I remember how exited I was when I was installing Vista RC1, and now and then I think back on how cool it was at the time. But now I've mostly got over it, I know I now have a far superior alternative, so I'm happy.

Absolutly right...
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7242/msvslinuxsig2sg.png
By Cope57 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cope57) at 2005-09-27

That's 4tw.

Keithod
July 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
It's FREE :) Surely, that's a good enough excuse!!! :)

Personally I think that if you want to play games buy a dedicated console like the PS3/XBOX360...I know not everyone would agree with that, fair enough, but gaming just doesn't bother me...

jgrabham
July 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Better Question - If you have linux, Why do you use windows - answer AOE3 - the only half-decent thing ever to come out of Steve Ballmers A**! (besides a chair)

Tobbe_j
July 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Better Question - If you have linux, Why do you use windows - answer AOE3 - the only half-decent thing ever to come out of Steve Ballmers A**! (besides a chair)

haha ^^ well i personally think that AOE3 is the worst game in the AOE series =D>
well i guess we have all different taste :-)

I began with linux after watching a youtube video with beryl by accident and i fell in love with it.... so cool, so sweet, so beautiful AND COMPLETLY FREE.

it takes a while to understand it but now i think i get it =)
this is my fourth day using Ubuntu with beryl...
just for the record: it's awsome

sprwaka
July 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Freedom of choice. GNOME and XFCE. I prefer both operating environments to Windows. With Windows, you get Windows' GUI....sorry.

Freedom to experiment. I've been able to play with lots of different software packages very easily.

Real important!!!!!!!

I do not have to worry about piracy, in windows I just to pirated everything. Sorry I'm poor. But, with linux I'm able to get it for free, and pay back with support in a lot of different ways. Also experimenting with programs I never will even intend to try in windows, 'cause of the hassle of getting a pirated version.