PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23

dvwolfman
May 31st, 2010, 12:47 AM
My experience with MS windows XP was that I felt I was dealing with an incompetent company; they never could get things secure without limiting functioning...come on that can't be denied, if you use a 'limited' account you cant do anything useful...

anyway what was worst on XP was: I used to work on retail point of sale, as a sort of network admin, MS POS Retail Management (I think it was 1.3 at the time) and after that experience I was convinced of the viability of open source in prinicple for commerce, I would help out with that, Linux POS, but am helping with other stuff I find equally important...that project is really important though, I think one idea was the Cent OS...
I digress...

Windows is great for games because MS is so greedy and paranoid they don't release the source code that would make it work better...it's an issue, last game I played on windows was Gothic 2 (had the disk, worked fine on my old XP system) but when I installed it on the new one could not fix the crashes...and there was a closed source tool to fix it, and patches...but let one genius gamer who loves a good RPG at the code, and she/he could fix it cause it seemed to be a issue of DirectX...let the community help, no we need to do our 'microsoft monolithic procedure'

Microsoft makes money for IT folks, that's true, how many friends from highschool now have cushy jobs cause they got MS certificates? lots...
but it's unethical if they know better...really my MS POS experience led me to believe that all Open Source needs to do is just kick the deck of cards over by making a project that uses the current network model with a great touchscreen front end...most of the components are there, and there are a few models/projects...

oh us poor IT folk won't be able to get blood from the stone of small business anymore, would that be sad...we would just get paid for installation training and regular mantience, not "the cashier checked his hotmail and got the register a virus"...

I give the developers Steinberg and Propellorhead great credit for making quaility software, my Reason Box and Cubase manual are on the shelf behind me...but can it run on windows XP effectively? not for me, major problems over time, and I didn't have the modular connectivity of Jack to do what I choose with the software...

I feel free for freedom, I am now 100% Linux, Ubuntu: For people, By people

Linux on a cash register would be a very powerful thing...

Thanks for reading my rant

:guitar::popcorn:

DDDa
May 31st, 2010, 01:06 AM
Yes, I am using it because it finally works better than the "competition" (in my opinion). That's it.

I like 1) hw support for the notebook I have; 2) unobtrusive system that allows me to get the job done.

I liked WinXP because it had that at the time, and Linux was horrible to my laptops (heat and all). Security prompts were easily deactivated under "services.msc", and deactivating one thing wouldn't break another. Then I bought a new notebook and was forced to pay the MS tax (read: upgrade to 7). And how horrible an experience it was... clean boot would take 900MB of RAM, even after taking out all the bloatware. And to top that, Windows is now so obtrusive that is impossible to work with. Even basic settings are not only deep inside, but also dispersed. Take network settings, for example (wifi, IP addresses, delete Network places... all that under different points, accessed through different ways and levels).

So I finally tried (yet again) Ubuntu. And what a surprise... the power management is so much better, almost "there" :P It surpassed Windows on my "curve of preference", so here I am with Ubuntu on my new notebook.

dvwolfman
May 31st, 2010, 01:51 AM
Yes, I am using it because it finally works better than the "competition" (in my opinion). That's it.

I like 1) hw support for the notebook I have; 2) unobtrusive system that allows me to get the job done.

I liked WinXP because it had that at the time, and Linux was horrible to my laptops (heat and all). Security prompts were easily deactivated under "services.msc", and deactivating one thing wouldn't break another. Then I bought a new notebook and was forced to pay the MS tax (read: upgrade to 7). And how horrible an experience it was... clean boot would take 900MB of RAM, even after taking out all the bloatware. And to top that, Windows is now so obtrusive that is impossible to work with. Even basic settings are not only deep inside, but also dispersed. Take network settings, for example (wifi, IP addresses, delete Network places... all that under different points, accessed through different ways and levels).

So I finally tried (yet again) Ubuntu. And what a surprise... the power management is so much better, almost "there" :P It surpassed Windows on my "curve of preference", so here I am with Ubuntu on my new notebook.

Good points:guitar:

claralea
May 31st, 2010, 03:49 AM
i just switched a couple weeks ago. I am not a computer-smart person at all, although I guess I'm better with computers than some. My secondhand laptop got infected while using XP. And even before that, it was lagging all the time and just generally acting its age. It looked like I was needing to rewrite and reinstall but I wasn't sure I still had an install disc for Windows. My friend suggested using Ubuntu instead, so I made the disc and tried it out. I liked the process of that, learning as I went, and when I tested it...WOW. So much sleeker, so much more intuitive, so much fun! So I got rid of Windows entirely when I did the Ubuntu install. Sure, every time I want to do anything for the first time involving proprietary data (like play a DVD) I have to go find some driver or whatnot to make it happen, but like I said, I'm learning by doing and learning is fun. Finally, I'm very into the idea of free and collaborative anything over an ownership-based model (which brings hierarchy), and I also like Ubuntu's commitment to accessibility on a variety of fronts (like income, disability, language, etc).

Nick_Jinn
May 31st, 2010, 04:45 AM
You can design and sell proprietary software for Linux and Ubuntu.....In fact, if the software is better than whats available for free there might be a good market for it.

Having fewer users will be made up for by having less competition.

If somebody wrote some games that play natively on Ubuntu, the game would probably sell better on windows if there was no publicity, because Linux would do all the advertising for them and users would flock to it.

Nick_Jinn
May 31st, 2010, 04:47 AM
i just switched a couple weeks ago. I am not a computer-smart person at all, although I guess I'm better with computers than some. My secondhand laptop got infected while using XP. And even before that, it was lagging all the time and just generally acting its age. It looked like I was needing to rewrite and reinstall but I wasn't sure I still had an install disc for Windows. My friend suggested using Ubuntu instead, so I made the disc and tried it out. I liked the process of that, learning as I went, and when I tested it...WOW. So much sleeker, so much more intuitive, so much fun! So I got rid of Windows entirely when I did the Ubuntu install. Sure, every time I want to do anything for the first time involving proprietary data (like play a DVD) I have to go find some driver or whatnot to make it happen, but like I said, I'm learning by doing and learning is fun. Finally, I'm very into the idea of free and collaborative anything over an ownership-based model (which brings hierarchy), and I also like Ubuntu's commitment to accessibility on a variety of fronts (like income, disability, language, etc).

In Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, you dont have to do any of that. Its all built into the OS out of the box.

I have both on my desktop, Ubuntu Studio and Linux Mint, and some others.

Ozymandias_117
May 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM
You can design and sell proprietary software for Linux and Ubuntu.....In fact, if the software is better than whats available for free there might be a good market for it.

Having fewer users will be made up for by having less competition.

If somebody wrote some games that play natively on Ubuntu, the game would probably sell better on windows if there was no publicity, because Linux would do all the advertising for them and users would flock to it.

While, not quite to the extent you're saying, the Humble Indie Bundle proved part of that.

Most places seem to place Linux users at < 1% but of the people that bought the humble indie bundle, (I'm rounding slightly, they weren't EXACT but they were close) 50% Windows 25% Mac 25% Linux

rocknrollmouse
September 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Work with Windows;
Relax with Linux

Chame_Wizard
September 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
No need to install a driver for a new Logitech G500 gaming mouse and a Linksys WRT320N Gigabit WLAN router atm.

Denis Krajnc
September 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Because I enjoy it better, it's more stable, I'm more productive with it.
For everyone else: Try different things, then use what works the best for you.

BlazeFire247
September 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
It's stable, and things just work most of the time. And it's faster than Windows. No more having to Ctrl+Alt+Del to force quit all the startup programs (even though most of them were deleted from the Startup folder). I still use Windows, but not as much as Ubuntu. Also, I like how Ubuntu's themes are better than Windows.

THEHiTechRedneck
September 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Because it ROCKS....duh. :rolleyes:

kingrobdun
September 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM
There are a lot more customize features on Ubuntu, most of my favorite games are cross platform (amnesia the dark decent, minecraft, doom3) and overall experience is near perfect. If/when they release steam for Linux, I'll never go back to windows.

fancypiper
October 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
The Linux Virus Writing HOWTO (http://virus.bartolich.at/virus-writing-HOWTO/_html/index.html)

Phil Binner
October 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
The only good reason to use Windows at all, in my opinion, is that the Ubuntu Guru's insist on putting out a new distro every 6 months, and consequently it is never stable. That having been said, Windows also has stability issues, just different ones.

Since I have no interest in gaming I'll sidestep that one, but my first pro for Ubuntu is speed. Windows 7 on a P5 processor just about keeps up with Ubuntu on an old P4 dual core. That would be enough in itself. You still have XP, so you probably spend a lot of time making tea.

You've stuck to XP, presumably for cost and control reasons, so that in itself begins to answer your question. Why not migrate to Windows 7, which is actually a decent operating system. Well the first thing you would have to do would be to pay for a copy (unless you want to join the growing ranks of thieves), and that would not be cheap. And the copy you bought would be loaded down with restrictions. If you try to restrict cost by using home premium you could run into licensing issues on your media. I still have an old XP machine I've never updated, and it has both a DVD read/writer and a DVD reader. When I put a blank DVD into either of these it is instantly (you can watch it happen on screen) re-classified as a CD. Presumably Time Warner are worried I may rip them off, and they are particularly insistent that any ripping off that may take place happens in the other direction. One of my friends had her holiday snaps on a CD, and XP refused to let her open then for licensing reasons. I'm not saying that is normal, and I have no idea why it happened, but under Microsoft philosophy it can and does happen.

And that brings me to the greatest reason you should use Linux rather than Windows. In the early 1990's I ran a small software company; Windows was new and IBM were the old enemy, trying to keep on ruling the world. Microsoft treated us fantastically well, and we loved them. As the company has grown older though, it has become more and more like IBM used to be, totally interested in getting as much as it can out of it's 'customers' (read 'resources'). The more powerful they've become the more they behave like ar****s. Now Microsoft's power is waning, however, mainly because Apple are taking big chunks out of them, but also because Linux is finally getting it's act together and mounting a challenge. If Apple win the battle then things will get worse on the cost front, rather than better, though the operating system will probably improve. Better by far for there to be a raft of operating systems which can all interact (something Linux is particularly good at from it's old Unix days). That way there will be healthy competition, which is what we all need.

meditatingfrog
October 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Why do i prefer ubuntu or gnu/linux? simple. using ubuntu doesn't support a monopoly, which i find unethical.

kingrobdun
October 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Ubuntu is a complete os like windows and mac. Its perfect for the everyday user.

poodoopealeoaph
October 8th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Well first off there aren't viruses for ubuntu. So, as I have noticed with windows, it slows down after a day or two after install but with ubuntu it stays fast indefinitely. The only advantage to windows is that they have much more drivers. So, if you record (like i do) it makes it pretty hard to get all of the firewire drivers that you need to run an interface. After that is set up though, I would have to say that ubuntu is the overall best os on the planet and I will never use windows ever again.

GrouchyGaijin
October 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have a dual boot laptop with XP and Ubuntu 10.4.

I got tired of fighting to install a Windows security update. I got the message that the update had been installed successfully yet it really hadn't and the next time I went to Windows update it was there again. (That hassle is what pushed me over the edge.)
I type in English, Japanese and Swedish. I found out that in order to continue to do so in Windows 7 I'd need to pay for the Ultimate version. (I guess I could run XP in a virtual machine under 7, but Ubuntu supports multiple languages for free.)
Speed - I love the ultra quick boot time compared with 5 to 7 minutes on Windows.

Having said that, I still use Windows when I want to watch US TV online. I subscribe to a VPN service and they don't yet offer a Linux client. I realize that if I were an ubergeek I could probably find some way to bypass the IP detection of the networks and watch TV without paying a few dollars a month, BUT I'm not.

I also use Windows when I scan because I have one of the scanners not supported in Ubuntu.

throese
October 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I got tired of all of having to accept all of these crazy license agreements, terms of service, viruses (EVERYTHING from your ever day virus to Trojans and Worms), and speed.

banger0250
October 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I hate leaving my OS un maintained. I was re-installing every month with windows. Until i discovered LINUX:-) I have tried loads of various versions. Ubuntu is fast, light, and has soooooo much software to use. I have used every release of windows since 3.1. I have been using ubuntu since 9.04. I must have tried out more software in a month than i had in my entire Windows saga. I have installed more than 20 variations of LINUX. Back on Ubuntu with 10.10, It's so fast:-):guitar:

piine
October 12th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Windows is for those who:
Like spending money on something that works better which is free.
Gamers.
"The Jones", I never bothers with trying to keep up with them, but to each his own.
Enjoy having to upgrade all their hardware for something that will be flawed and slow to be fixed and bloated... and usually, for most people, excluding gamers, the hardware upgrade is for the OS, not the programs they use.
Feel like viruses and spyware are supposed to screw up computers.
Like the fact that they bought something that they don't really own (With Windows, in all actuality, the software is free, you are actually paying for a license to use it)

Linux is for those who:
Understand that the economy is struggling and don't spend money they don't need to spend.
Use programs that don't require the latest & greatest computer.
Any one who needs a small, medium or even enterprise scale server with more capabilities and less price (Linux can do anything that a windows server can do, however, windows server and third party server software cost entirely too much. are poorly supported and too restricted)
Like security...
Like options...
Like flexibility...
Are Not Scared

And I can go on and on and on...

Also, I would like to add, configuring Linux is much more GUI based than before, especially Ubuntu, so the fear is gone, but the hand configuration is the best because you can tweak the OS almost exactly too your spec. Windows, however, you can tweak only as far as M$ allows. If you get into Linux deeply, you would that there is actually alot more you can actually do vs in windows... but, really, how important is learning...
My pets like to be hand fed and does Microsloth's :) LOL

beew
October 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I have a 4G hard drive laying around, it is from my dad's old laptop.

I thought I might be able to install Ubuntu on it for testing hardwares. So I installed Maverick on it, expecting that it was going to be just a bare minimum OS, but good enough for my purpose.

I got the OS up and running by plugging the hdd in my 5 year old laptop (1G of ram, 2 GHZ cpu single core) It is fast! I did the updates and installed a whole bunch of stuffs,--Compiz and all the eye candies, 3d visualization softwares, the gimp, inkscape, qbittorrent (along with the kde dependencies), a bunch of multimedia utilities and much more. The whole thing comes to only 2.8G! (ok, I did remove the games and transmission and used bleachbit to clean up)

It is a fully functional computing environment more complete than the desktops of many people I know, and it is lightning fast when plugged into a very modest laptop. It is a lot faster, -- I mean orders of magnitude faster,--than my roommates' 2.5 year old notebook running vista (2 g of ram, 2.2 ghz cpu) Her installation is much bigger (not counting data, bare installation of vista alone would be more than my entire 4 G) She doesn't have half of my stuffs. :)

I am going to use this as a demo to my friends.

Th3Alchemist
October 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds

standingfire
October 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I have been using Ubuntu and several of its variants since 2004, oddly enough. I really like having my machine work the first time, and everytime. I have several windows machines in my home that require frequent and time consuming care because somebody finds a new virus or more spyware to download. I can manage all of my linux machines from one laptop in a few minutes, while the windows machines require frequent amounts of touch labor, download the updates every week, fix this driver, add that driver, the printer stopped working, why, so on and so forth. Everything with my ubuntu boxes is either already on the machine or its in the repository. For instance, the equivalent costs in software for just my laptop alone is over 8000$ when you consider even the discounted software costs. :)

youbuntu
October 13th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I have too many adventures in Ubuntu/Gnu&Linux in general, to NOT prefer it:

1/ Free, in both meanings of the word - a massive, but not THE deciding, factor.
2/ Stable... secure... powerful... efficient... useful... pretty... configurable.
3/ Better to code with :D
4/ Generally better, and NO mistake
5/ All of the above. Iterate repeatedly, until it sinks in!
6/,7/,8/,... etc... I'd be here FOREVER!

Seankn
October 14th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I started to use ubuntu 7.04 a couple years ago i really liked it. Note I was only 12 but it showed that ubuntu is a great os. I have ubuntu on my Toshiba L505D-S5983 and it took me quite awhile to get ubuntu working on it, but i finally got it. Ubuntu is always upgrading there products, for example the Ubuntu Software Center. and the Boot Time. I can boot ubuntu in about 25 seconds or less. Windows is Great I have windows 7 on my Desktop I use that for gaming. I would suggest that you keep learning about ubuntu.

Cheers Seankn:):)

dantakeoff
October 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I dual-boot, and as far as im concerned i could not run windows without ubuntu. ill tell you why. i simply hate anti-virus, it hogs all my memory and cpu, so i dont use it. if i get a virus in xp, i can easily delete the guilty files from ubuntu, so i can run free with my windows, smash it up as much as i want and then simply fix it through ubuntu. i used to use it mostly for gaming, but dig this...once i configured my wine, i have been running the games that are installed in windows, through wine, using no-cd patches. in fact it so happens that i havnt booted into my xp for about half a year. dont get me wrong, its useful to have, in case something comes along that ubuntu cant run, but it is quickly becoming redundent for me. in fact its only use right now is as an extention to my ubuntu system...
and another thing...i am no tech-head, i know zilch about all the geeky stuff, but this forum has solved all the issues i have come across so far.
peace

alliance1975
October 16th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I'm into self abuse.

GrouchyGaijin
October 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
I choose both actually. That is most of the time I use Ubuntu except when I want to use my scanner or Quicken. Then I fire up Virtual Box and am able to use the scanner that is not supported in Ubuntu and fully use Quicken.

I tried Quicken under Wine, but couldn't register and without registering you can't use Quicken to connect to your bank.

As for the scanner, that is just bad luck. I happen to own a model that is specifically not supported according to all the documentation I've found. I can't afford to go out and buy another scanner just to have one that works in Ubuntu.

Having said that, I am really delighted with Ubuntu. Windows took so long to boot and I was thinking I needed to get another PC, but don't really have the money to do so. I was also shocked when I found out that in order to work in multiple languages I'd need to buy the Ultimate edition of Windows 7. I suppose I could have just reformatted my drive and put XP back on, but I thought I'd dual boot and see how Ubuntu goes.

It's been two or three weeks since I began with Ubuntu and I've found programs that do just about everything that I do on a PC.
What doesn't I seem to be able to do in Virtual Box so I'm just about ready to kill the Windows partition on the hard drive.

The one remaining problem I have is burning DVDs. I haven't tried in Virtual Box yet, but in Ubuntu I've tried using Brasero to burn and DeVeDe to make an ISO file and then burn it with Nero Linux. Both attempts failed. I had to give up because I simply didn't have time to figure out what was wrong so I booted into Windows and burned the DVD with Nero.

Reokie
October 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
The main reason was security, usability, and speed. All these points Vista failed horribly at. That and I have a few lower capability machines that run MUCH faster on Ubuntu than Windows. I for got to mention also that the software installation process is the safest, and most clutter-free that I have ever seen! :P

Chame_Wizard
October 24th, 2010, 12:18 AM
1.Buy an all-in-one Multifunctional device(Canon Pixma 270 in my case).
2.Unpack and put it together(cartridges and usb+power cable).
3.Put on and:ALT+F2>type Printer Configuration>New Printer>Add new network printer>Choose model+driver.
4.Local printer is been added+you can immediately test a page.

Also install SANE

sudo aptitude install sane

lsusb

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:173b Canon, Inc.

:guitar:

xovertheyearsx
October 25th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Cause i can do whatever i want and it's all free! plus it's an amazing development environment!

3D's Max on Windows, $3,000!

Blender on Linux, Free!

Same software, they both do 3D rendering!

hmm, save $3,000 dollars, or be picky...?

Photoshop CS5, $400!

GIMP, Free!

Same software, they both edit images!

hmm, save $400 dollars, or be picky?

Windows... Bluescreen of Death, Spyware, Viruses, Ad-ware...

Linux... Never had a single problem related to those issues.

Linux -> Priceless!

Linux all the way!

tszkitc
October 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I no longer want to use pirated copy software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anonimato
October 28th, 2010, 03:52 AM
my Aspire 5315 was way too slow running Vista Basic. Lucid is a cheetah on this PC. Never going back!

vexorian
October 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I started using ubuntu because it is free software. But now I legitimately find it more useful than windows. ooO got more usable than MSO once MSO jumped the shark with that useless ribbon stuff. Ubuntu's interface is cool and customizable. Plus I can do everything I like to do with my computer:
- Do homework with ooo
- Customize the OS in every way I could imagine. Plus it looks so nice with compositing on...
- Program/develop in C++, python and Java.
- Abuse the command line like there is no tomorrow - (Seriously people, there is no download manager in the world that is better than plain old wget).
- Play SC2/Wc3/GTA:SA/Zuma/Jeweled and others with WINE.
- Play Doom1/2 :)
- Watch videos. - Seriously, once I install restricted codecs once, I did not have to look for more stuff. In windows, it is actually harder to do that stuff. Their media player gets too much in the way. Totem just works.

In addition, thanks to virtual Box, I can even run windows. Even in extreme cases, like having to do MSASM howework for a course. I don't have to boot windows. The only reason I have a windows partition in this computer is that my brother uses it.

I have been using ubuntu since Breezy badger and I am actually using the same install as that long ago. I am not gonna lie, I have had some difficult times in which I had to really work out to fix my install. But that was mostly caused by the dist upgrade processs (specially jumping from one version to a much later one (like 9.04 to 9.10). I also had some nvidia issues over the years (#1 reason why nvidia should just releasee the specs and let the community do it)-.

Then I got a netbook, and the netbook interface is just too good. I can't picture any other way of doing actual work in my netbook without the space-saving interface or the fact that all sorts of powerful Linux applications are actually light weight... Oh and it is so useful it is also the only OS installed in my brother's netbook, who is a non-tech savvy graphics design student.

Having seen the evolution for 6 years it is actually impressive how much things actually improved, while in other OSes things are just stale and the most you get is trans window UI... I think that in the first years I used ubuntu it was really just because of the freedom, but then it kept getting better, right now it is really something that people can use and I kinda feel proud. I can only hope that in two years I can also say that it has improved a lot since 2010 :)

darkhelmetchris
October 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Why use Ubuntu over Windows? I think, perhaps, this message window is too small to list all the points and their respective reasons clearly, so I'm just going to summarize a few of what I believe to be the major ones:

During my ~4 years of being Windows free (I do not dual boot), I have enjoyed Ubuntu for:
- freedom (do what I want to today, the way I want to today)
- safety (virus scanner? no thank-you)
- speed (generally 2 to 4 times faster, same tasks, same hardware)
- stability (no "blue screen" in .. well .. ever)
- availability (21 seconds startup, 5 seconds shut-down)
- community (the help is excellent and the users are generally more informed)
- up time (mainboard replaced and back online, fully, in under 20 minutes)
- activation (no)
- cost of operating system (5 PCs: zero dollars; 5 of "the other kind": $1,195)
- cost of office suite (5 PCs: zero dollars and it was preloaded; 5 of "the other": $2,245)
- trial software (no, I can keep right on working after 60 days)
- sharing (I can have as many client connections as I want, they can have 5 tops?)
- tools (I like being given loads of them, not just the absolute minimum)
- keycodes (they don't unlock anything, they lock YOU)
- WGA (advantage for whom? really should read WG-dis-A)
- updates (please WAIT while your computer shuts down, installing update 1 of 34 -- gah?)
- free coasters (since I don't require driver CDs, they come with new hardware)
- full version upgrades (get them right now, WHILE you work, KEEP your personalizations)
- workspaces (as many as you like, sort your work by task, not by button group)

and let's not forget the most important reason...
...because it's FUN :)

mvblair
October 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
The problem with Ubuntu is that it lacks the ease of updating that Windows has. It's hard to get things like codecs, updates, or even getting Java to work in Firefox (I've documented my problems here in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1607117)...I still don't have Java and I'm back to 9.04). Ubuntu is more complicated for me. I'm not accustomed to changing files or writing code or things that a lot of people here know about. It's very hard for me to read the advice on this forum or follow the links that people provide because the Ubuntu community seems to assume that new users know all the basic things.

We don't. Some of us new users are novices and we don't know anything that is very technical. Microsoft told us what to do and we did it. That was easy. Now, I have to go and do research on four or five different things just to get Java working in Firefox (still don't have it, again). That's frustrating.

Ubuntu comes off as being very easy to use, but when I first started, I didn't know what a "live CD" was or a "dual boot" and I still don't really know what a "partition" is. That stuff is complicated for me and Ubuntu contributors don't seem to understand that.

Mostly I just want to do word processing. The only thing I want now is to use Firefox like I did in Windows, when I could play an on-line game and load my sites. I still can't do that.

But, still, I switched. I switched mostly for political reasons.

I really enjoy editing articles about history on Wikipedia, so that got me interested in open source stuff.

I don't like Microsoft as a company. I was always having problems with spyware and pop-ups would appear right once I booted up Windows. How frustrating is that?

I tried OpenOffice a few years ago and liked it. There are still some things that are a little frustrating, but it's basically the same as the MS Office Suite without Publisher. I really liked the idea of different people around the world making contributions and changing OpenOffice as a hobby and a service to others, even though I don't have the know-how to do it.

While I was overseas, I heard about a few governmental agencies in Central America that were trying to switch all their software to free, open source software and somebody mentioned Linux. I looked into it, but it was too complicated for the average computer user. Fortunately, when I heard that Linux is represented in different ways, I found out about Ubuntu, which seems like the most user friendly.

So, here I am. I don't have Windows anymore at home. Yes, I'm a little frustrated that it isn't as user friendly as Windows, but perhaps after so many hours of searching for help for basic things, I'll get used to it. I hope.

Basically, I just like the open source movement. It's up my alley. When I was younger, I always made little comic books and took them to conventions and gave them to people and told them that they could photocopy it give it away, too. I just like that idea of sharing things with other people.

Sir Sno
October 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Lets start off with: i played around with windows 98 when i was 7 or so..
Have enough education in windows that i can play support for windows. i've climbed the windows tree till 7 which i still use because of the fact that I'm trying to understand ubuntu. I have used ubuntu v4.6 as started version in which i got WINE to work and diablo 2. Afterwards i removed it because of lacking experience. But mine biggest disappointment is the lack of a organized map root (or a tree list). If i understood what all those folders/maps were used for i would reorganize them my self.:(
but i use dual boot with windows 7 where i do my homework for school *Network IT - Windows server 2003/2008 Windows XP/7 related - and some cisco stuff*

A.T.M i can't choose neither above either. because i am used to windows so i never used the command line/ terminal much before *outside of ipconfig /all or ping.* and so i lack the command line knowledge :P

I do like the whole concept of linux ubuntu and other.
At the end of my conquest i want to build my own OS and share it.

So conclusion:

40% Windows - Active behind: 25%
40% Ubuntu - Active behind: 65%
20% Other - Active behind: 10%

Gr,

Beginner Sno

thedarryl
October 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Because Windows is ****, and I hate microsoft. Right now I'm not even using Windows on a part-time basis.

Close to three weeks in, and I am in love with Ubuntu! I'm never looking back

Wtwine
October 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Vista was the last straw for me, and although I believe Windows 7 is a great improvement, it's too late since I am now a happy Ubuntu user.

No more defrag
No more corrupted registry
No more "xyz is is not responding"
No more viruses/spyware
No more paying iniquitous prices for software (I am not a FOSS fundamentalist, but I think the prices of MS software in a "captive" market are rediculous.)

It also really irritated me that I had to pay for 3rd party software like Registry Mechanic or anti-virus to protect my machine and fix corrupted Windows registry which was slowing my machine down. Thats like buying your car AND THEN having to buy a gadget to install in your engine to make sure it runs smoothly! It's insane!

Also, the way most peripherals just work is great. We bought a second-hand HP printer/scanner/copier. The owner had lost the driver CD. We tried to download and install the drivers from internet on my wife's Windows machine. After hours of searching and then downloading a massive file (65mb), she can still only print, and not scan. I then plugged the printer into my laptop running on Ubuntu Lucid. The printer installed painlessly and I was printing and scanning (with gscan) within minutes!

I do still encounter irritations with Linux every now and then, and it usually has something to do with my ignorance as a relative newbie to Linux, or the fact that I have to work and collaborate in a Windows world which sometimes raises compatibility issues. As much as Open Office tries, there are still cases where a document saved as .ppt, .doc or .xls format in OO has wonky formatting when opened by a colleague in Microsoft Office. However, now that I have MS Office installed in Wine, I can also check for and correct format compatibility issues. I still prefer OO , and find the new format of MS Office 2007 irritating. The fact that MS Access files can't be opened in OO Base is a real pain though. Kexi is quite good, and handles .mdb files well, but is still quite buggy (crashes on me quite often).

On the whole though, I can't see myself going back. I hardly use my Windows dual boot or virtual machine anymore.

janpol
October 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
My reasons:

1. Speed: This is mainly because you need an Anti Virus in order to use Windows as a general purpouse OS. My main computer is really fast, so you don't notice it that much, only in boot time. On my netbook, Ubuntu kills Windows 7 Starter when it comes to speed.

2. Malware: Tons of malware for windows, new 0 day vulns every week being exploited in the wild....

3. Price: I live in Argentina, and over here, software is really expensive. For example: Windows 7 Ultimate costs $1000 (argentine pesos, but in order for you to get the idea: thats the salary of a waiter). Ofc everyone here uses a pirate copy of Windows (and every propietary software), but I don't like that for two reasons, first, I consider it stealing. If the price of anything is too high don't buy it, but you don't go and steal it. For that matter, it would be ok to steal a macbook pro ($10000*, Argentine pesos, in order for you to get the idea: $16000 is the salary of the President :S....plus what he/she steals xD, a CEO of a big company maybe gets $20000-30000). So, I have to look for alternatives, and that's linux (but I don't just use it, I also try to make small donations of money, help to other users and code, that's how it works). The second reason why I don't use pirate copies is security (specially because you don't get Microsoft's updates).

4.I love the idea of FOSS, lots of people around the world making something, and most of them for free....I just love it, you don't find that in a lot of places (ask an accountant to work for free...).

*Argentina is considered the most expensive place in the world for buying Apple products (cuz of ridiculous taxes), and I'm talking about US dollars now.

victorhugo289
October 31st, 2010, 06:22 AM
I use:
Windows XP: 10%
Windows 98se: 20%
Ubuntu: 70%

Chame_Wizard
November 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM
Reinstall applications and updating a whole DE with 1 command,is just too good to use.:guitar:

uRock
November 1st, 2010, 03:40 AM
I don't choose one over the other. I just choose whichever one I feel like using at the moment.

They both have their pros and cons.

brandenmikal
November 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
i chose ubuntu because of it's stability, speed, customization, and freedom.

windows severely lacks a lot of these. customization is okay on windows but not without a lot of hacking. linux; you can do anything you want with it and it's perfectly legal and virtually hassle free (at least for most of us who use it daily)

<3 my ubuntu.

On the whole though, I can't see myself going back. I hardly use my Windows dual boot or virtual machine anymore.I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and I've been using Ubuntu since version 8.10. I definitely agree with a lot of the things you said in your posting. I too find myself almost never dual booting into Windows. I can do everything and more on my Ubuntu partion than I can with my Windows partion, and my Windows partion is Windows 7!

Still, let's be honest. Windows 7 isn't an improvement over Vista; it's just a renamed version of basically the same hassles.

Vege 4wd
November 2nd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Vista slowly ground to halt for me.

And yes I realise there are ways to stop that from happening however I would have had to pay a fortune to learn how.

With Ubuntu I learned more in the last 6 months using it than in over 15 years with windows. Lessons were free and found the Ubuntu community very willing to help.

Sure it took a while to sort things out but now I have a stable o/s set up the way I like. On top of that I have not had to start from scratch every few months cause the whole system crashed.

Just add: I do not like monopolies and can anyone tell me why all my previous windows have stuffed up seriously when a new one comes out but old 98 etc that have never been on the net are still stable? Too sus for me.

DuncanWatson
November 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
I live in MS land (Redmond, WA area). I have used linux and windows since minix and windows 3.0. I was MS free from 1998-2005 but I moved to the Redmond area in 2005 and let my new job give me a windows laptop for email and corporate crap and a fedora box for a build environment.

Lately corporate IT has been push installing too much corporate spyware and anti-viral snoopware onto my machines and they became unusable. I switched all my windows boxes to ubuntu and gained new life for all of them. I am VERY happy with the current state of the art with Ubuntu. It is easy to print, to work on documents, to email, to im, etc. Everything I need just works. I added a few PPAs but it is all very easy. I use my work provided smart phone and exchanges webclient to manage my calendar and the rest is easy peasy.

I am a command line guy so I have always had linux or cygwin available everywhere I go but it is really nice to be running ubuntu. I love how even the "new" things work for me.

my MP3 player just works
my wifes IPod is happier on linux than on the mac
my nook ereader just works (calibre)
java dev environments are great
I play video and transcode video of basically any type. Very important for my work.

All in all this is very cool and exactly what I want, I am happy with Linux after 17+ years of using it. I need to spend some time working on my fedora build box but I am dependent on a number of libraries etc to cross-compile for the STB dev work. The biggest problem is that we are not truly cross-compiling and need to change the way our build scripts work so that it is set up as a cross-compiled environment so we can run different libraries and code for our dev boxes than we run on the target platform.

Hakunka-Matata
November 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Because I don't like windows.

brandenmikal
November 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Because I don't like windows.

me neither. i'm so glad i found ubuntu years ago :]

fidamehran
November 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
In fact I don't see why Linux users go on with "I hate Windows" banner all the time. MS is a business organization. So, it does business. Linux developers are not businessmen, so they don't sell it.

Well, MS Windows has really never been a stable OS. Not until Windows 7, in my opinion. The previous Windows versions were too slow and buggy for the concurrent hardware available at those times. But I guess, Windows 7 runs fine with the hardware that has been around for the last 3 years. I use Windows 7 in my 3 year old Pentium D with 3 GB RAM, and it runs pretty well.

I also dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04. Have been doing that since 7.04. Since Windows 7, I see my PC giving the same performance in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. So why go for all that performance comparison?
It's a matter of preference, not rivalry.

You cannot compare two different platforms. You should not. At least not if you have the hardware to run both smoothly at the time. But, still, I see lots of people who are happy with Windows and refuse to even dual boot with Ubuntu.

I live in a country, where people are nearly ignorant about the software licensing. They don't have the slightest concept of software piracy. Hence they don't know that the Clone PC they just bought from the local shop has a pirated Windows installed. And most of them don't bother to think about it. All and any software in their PC is pirated and they are quite used to opening the Read Me file in the installer, putting in the pirated key during the installation.

Ever since I started using Ubuntu and started loving it, I tried to transmit the feel into the people around me. I asked for the free Live CD home delivery, so that I can give the CD away and show people the beauty of freedom.
I try to tell them that they are basically stealing by using pirated software. I tell them, "Why be a thief, when you can be a king?". For a under developed country of low socioeconomic condition like ours, Linux distributions, specially the ones that are relatively user friendly like Ubuntu, are perfectly suited. If you can't buy original software, use a free one.

I don't expect the average man to understand the beauty of open source. But at least I am trying to give them the essence of "Free" as in "Free beer", meaning that there is no cost involved.

I also try to encourage people with very old hardware to install Ubuntu, so that their PC is in usable state. Problem is, most of them are happier to continue with Windows XP (which, needless to say, runs quite slow on their machines) or even the ancient Windows 98 SE.

There are a great number of blog posts by tech enthusiasts in our country, who urge that the government at least should try to implement FOSS and free OS in their operation. But still, the government of a poor country buys proprietary software worth thousands of dollars for each of the PCs in their offices (the very few ones that are moving towards automation). My point is, if you are starting implementation of automation and e-governance for the first time in a government of modern era, when Linux platforms are stronger than ever before, you should go with Linux. Money is costly these days, people. World economy is in shambles. Save as much as you can....

So go for Linux, go for Ubuntu. Both at personal and national levels. We deserve better use of our money.

Smittysmit
November 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I never need to worry about getting a virus. While Spybot-Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware are great for Windows, I dont need them or need to spend time running/updating them.

Ubuntu for the most part is a giant community that works in unison to make it stable and keep it safe. When there is a security vulnerability, the community acts like an emergency room team of doctors. Windows on the other hand acts like an insurance company behind closed doors and covers what "they" want to cover without allowing others to step in.

At home, I'm using Ubuntu 99.5% of the time. I have a Visioneer scanner that is incompatible (not because of Ubuntu but because of Visioneer's lack of support. Maybe it's time for a new scanner. :)

I am seeing more and more products that are labeled "Linux compatible". That impresses me.

GrouchyGaijin
November 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Ubuntu for the most part is a giant community that works in unison to make it stable and keep it safe. When there is a security vulnerability, the community acts like an emergency room team of doctors. Windows on the other hand acts like an insurance company behind closed doors and covers what "they" want to cover without allowing others to step in.

That is VERY well said! I'm going to use that.

alienprdkt
November 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I love how fast and stable my apps are on Ubuntu over Windows. I like the ease of automation also. I don't use it to play games, I use it for its server. And ubuntu is a much wiser choice of a server platform. You can have it do so much more without the worry will it startup from a reboot, this time? Which is exactly why I threw Windows in the trash 3 yrs. ago and use Linux, and mac OSX (FreeBSD) exclusively now. And without the thousands of dollars in licencing fees either.

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
1. No viruses!!

2. If I want an app, I can get it quickly

3. Great support forums

4. Ubuntu works great and is regularly maintained

5. Freedom!!

Chazz44able
November 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
the more you play around with any of the Linux distros the more you will find that it's easier and Far more customizable, you can change absolutely ANYTHING

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yes Chazz44able! That is so true. As much as I love Macs, Linux Ubuntu really turned things around for me and made me realize a few important things.

Smittysmit
November 10th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I know I just posted a comment a few days ago but today was chaotic.

At work we use a windows only program and I had to setup a laptop JUST for this specific program. It had Vista on it and spent 3+ hours installing it. I hadn't had time to disable auto-updating. It had to re-boot 3 times just for updates. Then it took 5+ minutes to re-boot (maybe longer) each time. Then I kept having a McAffee popup telling me it's expired (I think they wanted more $$$).

Tried shutting it down...but it told me it's installing more updates and I had to wait. I did the best I could then gave it back to my boss...and hope it will work for the user.

Why do I like/use Linux??? I don't know. Read above (and the other posts) then tell me why I (we, the community) use Linux.

Thank you for letting me vent for today's fiasco with Vista.

alienprdkt
November 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I think the question should be, if you can get Linux from a download why buy Windows?

afz12
November 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I quite like Ubuntu but I also like xp - I don't consider "windows monopoly" to detract from practicalities. To plug for Bill Gates he did propose for computers in every home at a time when people dismissed this as silly. Now many homes have several computers / notebooks etc.

Admittedly my interests are somewhat specialized and technical. I like using Xilinx FPGA s/w for example. The Linux version for Xilinx ISE is a mission from hell to install but the windows install is easy. I tried to install in Wine and it ran but the USB connection to the FPGA platform didn't work.

Also I quite like simple circuit simulation programs like Microcap etc. Linux has no equivalent version. I have looked at some alternatives but they are either poorly documented or clumsy of lack critical simulation capabilities.

Further, on the theme of mathematics, Mathcad is definitely a windows tool and quite excellent to use. This is superior, in my view, to Matlab as it is a word processer with a "math core" opposed to Matlab which is just a script language. However Octave is OK as a Linux alternative but is somewhat lack-lustre in comparison - Scilab might be better but I haven't bothered much with it. Mathcad is definitely my favorite program.

Despite Word having some problems, it is also easy to use and interacts well with other programs. I like its equation editor especially as you can derive equations directly inside it. This is difficult in other packages that assume you have made a paper derivation first. Additionally, the Linux Open Office has equations but in a limited set of symbols. I find it too clumsy to use.

I have used Inkscape lately and this is available as windows or Linux. Both versions work fine.

I quite like Ubuntu as a host for Virtualbox / XP and Wine. However VBox runs ~5 times slower on XP applications e.g. Xilinx ISE than natively.

In summary, the differences are probably personal and depneds on what you use an OS for. If its just email or playing games then the differences might be minor.

For my usage, both Ubuntu and XP (perhaps Windows 7 later when I upgrade this notebook) are worthwhile. I wouldn't "choose one over the other" as they both have their virtues

manzdagratiano
December 1st, 2010, 04:20 AM
Ugh... I could write a whole thesaurus on this... Allow me to first vent my acute hatred:
1) The winblows command prompt is a joke
2) winblows gets slower over days of continued usage
3) I had shadow copy enabled by default and I was bewildered for a year where the hell my free space was going off to.
4) I should have a friggin' C/C++ or python compiler installed by default, and not need to go through Microsquish friggin' express - the winblows api was written in C++ after all!
5) Windows registry tweaks to get basic changes in right-click menu... uggghhhhh!!!!
6) I paid for Vis-blah when I got my laptop, I SHOULD have a free upgrade to Winblows 7 when it came out - if I pay for the crappier product what anybody else would have for the better one, I should be entitled to the better one when it comes out... ergo, if not that, then to hell with it and none at all
7) NOBODY tells me I cannot have drivers for Winblows XP if my laptop came with Vis-blah
8) NO friggin' Microsquish is going to force me to install a Validation tool to check all my applications for validity - I will install whatever the hell I want to
9) If I do not like something about Winblows, I have to accept it as a fact of life - it cannot be changed since they hid everything.
10) While on Winblows, I would switch to Debian for awesomeness anyway and even while in Winblows, I would be using Cygwin most of the time anyway.

I seem to be forgetting other prominent reasons... I must have mellowed over time.

And now for the good:

1) I LOVE Linux... always have, since Knoppix in sophomore year of college and then Debian in junior year.
2) The terminal is a powerhouse - I can choose to live on the command line if I wish to
3) I can change what I want to please myself any which way I wish. I AM POWERFUL!
4) I do not need to hunt for mundane drivers.
5) I do not need to worry about defragmentation for the most part.
6) I can open emacs and code in virtually whatever I want and it will mostly compile out of the box
7) SUDO APT-GET UPDATE && SUDO APT-GET UPGRADE!!!!!/ SUDO PACMAN -SYU
8) I leave my system on for days on at end and it remains rock solid
9) Wobbly windows in compiz - carrrramba!!! Or if I wish minimal, blackbox or ratpoison!
10) Did I say I love Linux?

mark bower
January 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
1) I have always believed that the OS should be open, applications could be proprietary.

2) I run 4 computers at my house. Do the math to compare what that would cost me if I used Windows vs Ubuntu.

I still have to cheat and use XP for TaxAct tax program. I continue to encourage them to port to linux in addition to windows. Someone eventually will do a tax program to run on linux (i hope)

mark bower

gabriel.soe
January 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Well. friend.
the first thing you need to know is that Ubuntu is safe safe safe!
sure it's not widely used like windows. but think about it. you pay nothing. you get one of the most advanced Desktop distros... out there.
games are an issue. but on the other hand: you get a vast array of software to meet your every need.
almost anything you have for windows you have for Linux and again "it's free"

now for the best part:
you can turn it into what ever you'd like. with the help of one of the biggest online communities on the planet.
you can fine tune your machine to do wonderful things. even old PC's will run Ubuntu better then Windows.

I have taken a course in Linux Sys Admin. and ever since then I have Ubuntu as my desktop. As for my gaming needs, I use Xbox 360

kn0w-b1nary
January 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have many reasons for using ubuntu over windows.

1. Price. (null)
2. Frequency of new releases. (Every 6 months)
3. Security. (Look at statistics from the Pwn2Own conferences)
4. Speed. (Boot and overall)
5. Customizing. (Various desktop eviroments, as well as themes)
6. UNIX. (DOS is crap)
7. Live CD & USB. (Ubuntu in RAM only)

This is true compared to XP, Vista, and 7.

It all boils down to...
Ubuntu does what i want it to do, when i want it to do it.
It looks like i want it to, and acts like i want it to.

cgroza
January 13th, 2011, 12:30 AM
It responds better to my needs than Windows... plus it is free!:D

alaukikyo
January 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
That's why I choose Mac over GNU/Linux. Not knocking Linux, it isn't anybodies fault. It's just that 40% of the time that I'm on a computer, I'm using Photoshop.

what is your profession??

manchildjr
January 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
this is hilarious you go to a linux forums and then talk trash about linux and now you have 507 pages of replies. Let me guess next your going to go to the white house and talk about how crappy our government is

khaled khunaifer
March 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
- Windows take a long time to boot up, Linux boot up in few seconds ...

- Linux, where virus doesn't exist

- Linux, where you can almost do everything inside the Terminal

- The world where Open-Source Developers are located !

- Where coding is more fun ...

beew
March 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
- Windows take a long time to boot up, Linux boot up in few seconds ...

- Linux, where virus doesn't exist

- Linux, where you can almost do everything inside the Terminal

- The world where Open-Source Developers are located !

- Where coding is more fun ...

Actually I found that boot time for XP and Ubuntu is almost the same on all machines I have tried (~25 to 30s depending on hardware) XP seems to boot a bit faster only because it cheats by loading the graphics in the desktop before it is fully functional (takes another 10 seconds before it is working) whereas Ubuntu is good to go once the desktop starts, so it is about the same time with Ubuntu having a sight lead once the cheating is taken into account. Vista takes a loooong time, W7 I don't know.

Davey1000
March 15th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?

There are two advantages that come to mind (1)There are hopefully going to be fewer virus attacks. (2)Windows XP is being phased out and people are already being forced to buy 64 bit Windows 7 machines. If one wishes to "downgrade" to XP one first has to stump-up about £180 to upgrade to Windows 7 Business Edition as the Home Premium won't do it
After burglars stole my excellent 2.7GHz Pentium 4 Advent 7016 (AKA Gericom Blockbuster) running XP I had to buy a replacement. I'm sorry to say that Windows 7 cannot hold a candle to XP as much of my hardware is incompatible (printers and scanners for example) Castle Marines excellent "Propcalc" will not run either as it is 16 bit and not supported by Windows 7 64 bit. Icons of Jack-in-boxes delivering crystal balls are just a waste of space (literally)totally useless in fact and most users will just want an OS that can run all their legacy software and hardware. I often feel like throwing this "Celery" laptop in a skip but i5 and i7 machines are out of the question in a town that ought to be twinned with the Bronx.

I did try running a distro that came with a Linux magazine. It worked apart from an error message from Talk-Talk my ISP. The home page for webmail appeared OK but there was a message "Linux is not supported" so I could go no further.

I would like to know which UK ISPs are OK for running Linux. Tiscali won't run it.

robro
March 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM
After years of using windows computers from win95 to win7 the only thing that seemed to change was the price of it, although it is "EXTREMELY" overpriced, closed sourced, and can be customized very little, it does (in a way) work, then I heard about linux, then heard about ubuntu, then after awhile, downloaded ubuntu, and just from the measly 30 minutes of using the live usb, I was hooked with it and installed, now I know I will NEVER "have" to use windows again :).

Vege 4wd
March 15th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Well, I do not usually get into the windows vs linux debate. I reckon' if you prefer windows and find it does what you need then that's great.

Why I will never go back!
I have used ubuntu for a year and while it was a steep learning curve I now know much more than what i learnt using windows.

When there has been problems I had the thrill of working it out and learning myself. (with the help of the community of course). Never cost me a cent.

I never had a virus even though I do not run a firewall or anti-virus.

My laptop is five years old and if using the vista it came with I would have ditched it a long time ago. The cost of keeping it working would have been greater than the cost of a replacement.

When I do use a window machine I find it tedious and limiting and just slows down.

That said if windows is your choice for whatever reason then that is fine with me.:D

federaico
March 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
many reasons
dont need to reboot, no frozen every second
free and no cost (which are two different concepts)
stability
don like monopoly

IT people supporting windows are a fraud . they said don t get a mac or go linux. they want u there to make money with all the troubles u have with windows

last to make this short I want to know if everyone here former micro soft users in the past did call to microsoft help desk or email them? did they take care of you? when? how? did they fix something or try u like and idiot and also charge for that? every time i asked in the linux or ubuntu or this nice people i always have a nice answer. not only fix my problems also are kindly

i prefer get any bug for linux and not for the micro (brain) soft corporation

65Hyper
March 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Fast boot
No virus
Software Center
Easy to customize, no patching needed
FREE!

ptrlow
March 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
You choose ubuntu over how many computers you can install. Windows needs a seperate copy on each machines, and you have the annoying activation issues. You also have the immunity of viruses and spyware. Linux boots fast on old and new computers compared to windows machines which can take a long time to boot.

moboticdes
March 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
One small rant here: let's say GNU/Linux instead of Linux and let's give Stallman some credit!
I say this because of recent arguments between Linus and Stallman on this topic :D:D

rg4w
March 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
One small rant here: let's say GNU/Linux instead of Linux and let's give Stallman some credit!
I say this because of recent arguments between Linus and Stallman on this topic :D:D
They're still arguing? :)

I guess we should ideally call this one Ubuntu GNU/Linux to be complete, but frankly that's a mouthful and a turn-off to newcomers.

I prefer to simply call it Ubuntu, and if Stallman feels otherwise I'll happily make it up to him by buying him dinner again.

IMNSHO it's far more beneficial to the Linux world that people adopt it than that we observe specific but off-putting nomenclature.

masoomac
March 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I am not a Windows hater, am an MS Office fan but I have found Ubuntu a far smarter choice for me.

Why I switched:
Free
Install and go (no loading drivers, configuring internet, this setup and that setup)
Fast booting
No virus without any anti-virus or firewall
Software center and all the free goodies
Compiz and all those mind boggling eye-candy choices
Workspaces
Updates
Community
I can actually get help and solve problems by myself
The spirit and philosophy

I still have Office withdrawal symptoms though... :-)

sgriggly
March 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
amen. i really appreciate your post. having spent some time in india, trying to convince the NGO i worked for to switch over to Linux for all of the same reasons you just brought up... especially for a buddhist organization, where not stealing is a very basic tenant of the religion, to be running pirated OS and software is unfortunate and 100% completely unnecessary... even if you directly ask your tech provider for a non-pirated version, they will perfectly happily sell you a pirated version all the while swearing to you it is original. i'm still so amazed, people have an image of Linux in their head that is very twisted, it's SO user friendly now, even easier than Windows in a lot of ways. and it's FREE. don't hassle.

sgriggly
March 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
In fact I don't see why Linux users go on with "I hate Windows" banner all the time. MS is a business organization. So, it does business. Linux developers are not businessmen, so they don't sell it.

Well, MS Windows has really never been a stable OS. Not until Windows 7, in my opinion. The previous Windows versions were too slow and buggy for the concurrent hardware available at those times. But I guess, Windows 7 runs fine with the hardware that has been around for the last 3 years. I use Windows 7 in my 3 year old Pentium D with 3 GB RAM, and it runs pretty well.

I also dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04. Have been doing that since 7.04. Since Windows 7, I see my PC giving the same performance in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. So why go for all that performance comparison?
It's a matter of preference, not rivalry.

You cannot compare two different platforms. You should not. At least not if you have the hardware to run both smoothly at the time. But, still, I see lots of people who are happy with Windows and refuse to even dual boot with Ubuntu.

I live in a country, where people are nearly ignorant about the software licensing. They don't have the slightest concept of software piracy. Hence they don't know that the Clone PC they just bought from the local shop has a pirated Windows installed. And most of them don't bother to think about it. All and any software in their PC is pirated and they are quite used to opening the Read Me file in the installer, putting in the pirated key during the installation.

Ever since I started using Ubuntu and started loving it, I tried to transmit the feel into the people around me. I asked for the free Live CD home delivery, so that I can give the CD away and show people the beauty of freedom.
I try to tell them that they are basically stealing by using pirated software. I tell them, "Why be a thief, when you can be a king?". For a under developed country of low socioeconomic condition like ours, Linux distributions, specially the ones that are relatively user friendly like Ubuntu, are perfectly suited. If you can't buy original software, use a free one.

I don't expect the average man to understand the beauty of open source. But at least I am trying to give them the essence of "Free" as in "Free beer", meaning that there is no cost involved.

I also try to encourage people with very old hardware to install Ubuntu, so that their PC is in usable state. Problem is, most of them are happier to continue with Windows XP (which, needless to say, runs quite slow on their machines) or even the ancient Windows 98 SE.

There are a great number of blog posts by tech enthusiasts in our country, who urge that the government at least should try to implement FOSS and free OS in their operation. But still, the government of a poor country buys proprietary software worth thousands of dollars for each of the PCs in their offices (the very few ones that are moving towards automation). My point is, if you are starting implementation of automation and e-governance for the first time in a government of modern era, when Linux platforms are stronger than ever before, you should go with Linux. Money is costly these days, people. World economy is in shambles. Save as much as you can....

So go for Linux, go for Ubuntu. Both at personal and national levels. We deserve better use of our money.

amen. i really appreciate your post. having spent some time in india, trying to convince the NGO i worked for to switch over to Linux for all of the same reasons you just brought up... especially for a buddhist organization, where not stealing is a very basic tenant of the religion, to be running pirated OS and software is unfortunate and 100% completely unnecessary... even if you directly ask your tech provider for a non-pirated version, they will perfectly happily sell you a pirated version all the while swearing to you it is original. i'm still so amazed, people have an image of Linux in their head that is very twisted, it's SO user friendly now, even easier than Windows in a lot of ways. and it's FREE. don't hassle.

FlameReaper
March 30th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I still keep Windows installed as a platform I need to do Windows-only things (such as playing games).

However, with most things I want to get running on Windows requires me to buy them - and with most of them have FOSS alternatives so I guess "why not Ubuntu." My favorite artistic programs is a clear example of this case. So the FOSS alternative to my usual Photoshop/Paint Tool SAI combo? GIMP/MyPaint. Although the proprietary ones have more aspects of superiority over the FOSS alternatives, it's just a matter of how I go about using them. Heh, at least with FOSS alternatives I don't have to worry about "Hey you are using a software you didn't even pay for!"

Besides I like being different than the average laptop/PC owner around me. I smile when I see people using Windows around me and I'm the odd one out using Ubuntu. :D

WinterMadness
April 1st, 2011, 03:31 AM
meh, i cant even browse files in windows without getting angry. I honestly think windows is harder than linux for most things

spielball
April 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM
I had been using Windows for a long time ...until one day something happened, despite the fact that I am a very cautious user, always disabling unnecessary services, closing all unnecessary ports, using antivirus, firewall and configuring my router accordingly as well as my Firefox (Adblock, NoScript, etc):

A nasty virus (rootkit) had turned my computer into a zombie machine as part of a botnet. When I finally found the rootkit, it turned out that it had been on my machine for months and that my computer was completely compromised, i.e. someone else took control over it. End of story is that the rootkit led to hard disk damage. Shortly after, my hard disk died completely. :frown:

However, in the process of finding the rootkit and not trusting the installed Windows anymore, I had been using a usb stick with rescue tools and Ubuntu. This was actually my first closer contact with Ubuntu. I already had tried it years ago, but back then I wasn't really convinced and it still felt too complicated for me. But today this is very different. Ubuntu 10.10 is really awesome and very easy to use. I think it is much easier to use than Windows XP and has a lot of advantages.

For example, in Windows XP I was always annoyed by all the fiddling with updates. Every little application I had to update mostly manually. In Ubuntu I have the package manager and software center. So everything is basically updating itself. This saves a lot of time, because I don't have to download an installer for every single piece of software. Also, I don't need to install drivers one by one. Ubuntu comes with all drivers needed. And, of course, security issues. After this rootkit incident, I felt paranoid when using Windows. But with Ubuntu, I don't have the feeling of a permanent threat anymore. I feel much safer now. And I don't need antivirus software as in Windows anymore (which slowed down system performance).

On top of that, Ubuntu looks and feels awesome and can be adjusted and configured any way I want it to, even though I still have to figure out many things and get used to my new workspace. But this is just a learning process as it was when using Windows XP for the first time. I guess that many users are simply too much used to Windows and can't remember anymore how it was when they used it the very first time. And so to many of them another OS at first feels awkward, no matter how easy to use it is. In my case, a bad scenario forced me to use Ubuntu for a while. And after all, this scenario isn't bad at all. Because I'm much happier with Ubuntu now, although I might reinstall Windows as a second OS for gaming only. But in any case, I don't want Windows as my main OS anymore. Because Ubuntu rocks.
:guitar:

There is, however, one thing that annoys me still. The default desktop environment of Ubuntu has a taskbar at the bottom and a menu bar on top of the screen. On today's laptop screens (which are mostly widescreen), this is a major waste of vertical space. But I am looking forward Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity desktop. :D

FlameReaper
April 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM
There is, however, one thing that annoys me still. The default desktop environment of Ubuntu has a taskbar at the bottom and a menu bar on top of the screen. On today's laptop screens (which are mostly widescreen), this is a major waste of vertical space. But I am looking forward Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity desktop. :D

By "Default" doesn't mean you should always stick with it ;)

Just take a look into the monthly screenshots thread in the main Community Cafe forum. While I can't keep my desktop clean and neat I'm always impressed with how others keep them so clean and neat I'm really envious of them :lolflag:

Also, actually, the default desktop environment of Ubuntu (GNOME) doesn't only apply to Ubuntu. Other Linux distros which use GNOME have that default layout as well.

skykicker
April 4th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I have used Xp, which is ok, Vista was crap, seven is both ok but also crap uses too much memory as others have said i like the freedom that linux brings, and like some others have said there is probably a free verson of a windows software and it works better:lolflag:

penn07
April 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I would probably switch to linux permanently except for the following.

1. No itunes or JRiver for linux
2. Battery life on a laptop is greatly reduced in Linux
3. Windows 7

Having said that I use Linux on a second PC for fun and have a live Linux CD handy and Puppy on a usb.
:D

IWantFroyo
April 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Linux does all I need it to do. I use my computer for internet browsing and office work. These are easier to do in Linux than in Windows. I use Ubuntu for office, and Arch for fooling around and browsing.

I'mGeorge
April 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Reasons
1. Flexibility. You can make your OS look however you want and do whatever you like as long as it's computers related of course

2. No viruses. Yeah sure you have to be careful under Windows what executables you run but in windows as long as you have internet you will always have viruses. I don't know how come it didn't happened to you, 'cause it always happened to me even with an antivirus installed.

3. Daily software upgrades and almost about after 7 months or even earlier, available major distro upgrades

4. The fact that linux it's an open source environment, therefore if you have the right skills even you can participate and improve the development of the software.

5.The latest releases of any linux distro are far more fair with the hardware resources than Windows Vista or Win 7. Although I have seen and done through customization, exquisite Desktops none required more than 500 Mb of RAM. For an OS to require more than 1GB of RAM just to function properly, with a standard installation Desktop which you can't really customize (not by my terms of customization anyway) it's just outrageous.

6. The fact that you can use linux and all the software you can get through repos for free.

7. The security level under linux it's way more developed compared to windows. And you can customize this too making your PC as secure or insecure as you like.

8. All major distros have amazing communities, where you can debate anything and find solutions for your linux or even windows related problems in a fair amount of time.

9. Mplayer, VLC, Firefox, Chromium/Chrome were all natively developed under linux. Remember the time when you had to install a whole bunch of codecs in windows to watch some movies with BSplayer and after they gone obsolete you had to search for the newest ones ? very annoying, but mplayer made things a bit more comfortable. Remember those days when you had to use IE as a web browser, and you had to wait ages just so it would load Google search main page?

10. Just because Tux it's way more cute and handsome than wins shattered windows logo

Machiavelli
April 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm into self abuse.

Good one, it not even half-true.

On-T: I use linux becouse it utilizes the hardware better in terms of speed.

JEDIDIAH
April 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The one remaining problem I have is burning DVDs. I haven't tried in Virtual Box yet, but in Ubuntu I've tried using Brasero to burn and DeVeDe to make an ISO file and then burn it with Nero Linux. Both attempts failed. I had to give up because I simply didn't have time to figure out what was wrong so I booted into Windows and burned the DVD with Nero.

Try k3b. It's a DVD burner for KDE and has been pretty easy and feature complete as well as robust for a long time.

Canonical doesn't always choose the best default apps.

Speaking to the subject, it used to be that Windows didn't support CD or DVD burning by itself and you needed a 3rd party app to do anything with a burner (namely Nero). One advantage always had here was that there were free tools available to use your burner. There were even GUI tools.

I used xcdroast "back in the day".

...and of course the command line tools allow for easy automation and creation of your own features with minimal programming effort that aren't matched by any proprietary software.

blankopus
April 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
oh sick!! i'm going to download amarok right now after hearing that! i've been wanting a program that automatically downloads lyrics!!! awesome thanks!!

GrouchyGaijin
April 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM
...and of course the command line tools allow for easy automation and creation of your own features with minimal programming effort that aren't matched by any proprietary software.

I've ended up using the command line and haven't had a problem since. I use:

growisofs -speed=2 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw=mydvd.iso

and then

wodim dev=/dev/scd0 -v -data /path/to/mydvd.iso

Most of the time I don't need to make an .iso. I use another command to turn the videos I take of my kids into flv videos and upload them to the web so my family can see them. I can't remember what kind of menu was produced when I used the command to make an .iso, but I do remember that it worked.

I guess you could make the .iso using DeVeDe or Kdenlive and then the command line to burn.

In any case, I haven't had a problem burning since I started using the command line.

bfmetcalf
April 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

For me, I was sick of how many times Windows crashed on me, I was stuck with Windows Vista, XP wouldn't install on my computer for some unknown reason and Ubuntu/Linux was free! It really depends on what you want to do with your computer that can make it worth it or not. I will probably need to get back into windows someday to do some CAD/CAM design and stuff for a home business I eventually want to do, but for me, I like the customization options Linux gives and like that I don't have to pay microsoft $200 for an electrical image that isn't worth near that much to me. For the most part, I havn't run into anything I did in windows that I can't do in Ubuntu other than SolidWorks and MasterCam, and there are actually some Linux options for that out there if you look hard enough. Plus the fun of breaking and actually being able to fix the system without a re-install is fun too.

RobikShrestha
April 10th, 2011, 04:19 AM
it is for free: that's a huge plus point

bmi1965
April 11th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Because I was given an Optiplex sans a hard drive. I friend gave me one, but, alas, I did not want to go out and drop $$ on XP, so I was introduced to Ubuntu by the same friend who gave me the hard drive. Now I am VERY adept at using and getting around PC's, but I am NOT a programmer or IT professional, so the thought of loading an OS from scratch was a bit intimidating, but with a little prodding by my friend, I went for it. WOW. I was shocked at the ease of the whole process. And it made sense. One thing that always bothered me was having to run an AV all the time, taking up valuable speed. I have been using Ubuntu for about 3 weeks now, and I am NEVER going back. I have only run into 1 web page that will only run on Windows or MAC, so I do have to use a Windows PC to get to it. I still have 1 Vista machine my wife is using and probably will continue to do so indefinitely, or until I force the issue. Getting ready to switch the laptop over to Ubuntu as well. The kids PC's are fully Ubuntu and they love it. I really like the ease of use with my all in one HP scanner printer, and the extra work stations. What more can you ask for?

graceangela9
April 13th, 2011, 06:45 AM
The first advantage i see in Linux is that it does not have virus problems,Linux does not need defragging,does not require frequent re-installation etc.

jerenept
April 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
The first advantage i see in Linux is that it does not have virus problems
There are viruses (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Linux_malware) for Linux, and even pretty little exploits (http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Apr/223?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) in the kernel.
Linux does not need defragging,
Really? fill up an ext2/3/4 drive over 85% and see where that gets you

does not require frequent re-installation etc.

Like, every 6 months because upgrading is Russian Roulette (http://duckduckgo.com/Russian_roulette)?

Dragonbite
April 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I chose Ubuntu over Windows on my family primary desktop system because
It is free, yet is able to do most of what WE need it to.
It has been stable and without crashes such as the one that while I could have re-installed Windows I chose not to, and to follow the Linux road instead.
It has allowed me to use a lot of programs for free. While many programs are also available for Windows, being they seem more stable and "up-to-date" in Linux than the Windows version.
UbuntuOne has allowed me to sync some of my files between the desktop and my laptops. Additionally, though not as good as say Dropbox or others for web interface, it still has the means for me to upload or download files while at work and have it auto-update my home Ubuntu system next time I'm on.
The fact that what my son has done effects only his account unlike Windows (and no, I did not give him Administrator privileges yet he still managed to "mess" things up). This alone almost makes it worth while.
Ubuntu on the same machine works faster than Windows 7 and that is even after turning off a lot of things in Windows 7.
Windows 7 on the same machine cannot handle Aero (video card not up to snuff), or XP Mode (chip either). Ubuntu has desktop effects running without any issues.
Ubuntu is up and running much quicker than Windows 7, in part because Windows 7 is used so infrequently that when I did boot up into it I lost almost a half-hour or more for downloading, installing and rebooting from updates.
My kids actually ASK me if they can use Ubuntu instead (Windows 7 was that slow). I just can't disappoint them, you know ;)
It is similar whether using the desktop or my (personal) laptop even though my Laptop would not do so well under Windows 7.
When I want to upgrade, it doesn't cost me close to $100, I just download and (if lucky) put it on a usb stick or (if unlucky) burn a cd.
It works for me.

BlacqWolf
April 14th, 2011, 12:03 AM
It's not as big of a malware target as Windows, as well as it has a more sophisticated security system so it is not as likely to get malware if you do visit a site with malicious software for Linux. I also find it is easier to maintain, and doesn't slow down so much over time like Windows.

I also like how most software, files and hardware just work - out of the box - and there aren't as many additional applications you need to install. And, if you ever run into multi-media you can't play, there tends to be a plugin or codec for it in the repos which you can have it easily install.

And last, I like how it's being constantly updated - every few months, compared to every few years in Windows - allowing a fresh new experience every release (6 mo.). (And, for you users who dislike upgrading constantly, you can stick around for a few years with the long-term support releases)

And I also like how, if you dislike the preinstalled desktop environment, you can easily switch from the logon menu and install new ones by simply software center or
apt-get install (package-name)

Dyzphagia
April 14th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I use Ubuntu over Windows because of a variety of reasons. It's free of course. Offers me more customization than I can shake a fork at. It just feels better than windows.

scott-ian
April 16th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Windows XP is good, but it seems to be about a century behind Ubuntu 10.10.

sneax
April 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I would use it over windows because it can run most modern programs on less powerfull hardware. Also it is really customizable and I can tweak it however I want.

I dont care about economic or ethical questions, so I just use what is best. Because of that, I have a MBP running osx, a mediacenter/server running windows 7 and another laptop which is not an apple running Ubuntu which has a tweaked interface to work like my osx on the mbp is set up.

Probably when I lose the MBP (it is from work) i will sell my other personal laptop too and get a MBP 13" running linux only.

edcompsci
April 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Not sure if maybe this is because also I have a bigger hard rive now, but I have never ever had to defrag my Ubuntu.

dabyv
April 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
windows is good for almost all softwares crate for windows
but linux have beter using of hardware i have a app (wow emu server) this app with low usage of hordware dosent work good in windows (any version)
but in linux linux kernel is beter than windows every one khow that
and i can play windows games (my fovorite -wow -warcraft3 -planet vs zombiez)
and i canf play movies i can writ any word by my lang and linux good specially in hardware use

visgen
April 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
My hard drive packed in a while back so I have had to run Ubuntu from an 8GB USB thumb drive - try doing that with Windows.

I can also choose from dozens (probably many, many more) flavours of Ubuntu or practically any other Linux for FREE.

The ONLY drawback at this time is that I don't have Internet access from home which complicates things when adding new software (due to dependancies!).

Ghost|BTFH
April 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
That's like asking why I choose opposable thumbs over prehensile tail.

Ubuntu is naturally better.

When you stop trying to turn your computer into your gaming system and instead use it as an Internet system and entertainment center (Think TV/Movie/Music - not games) you'll see why Ubuntu is 1.75 billion times better than Windows will ever be.

Games are better left to console systems, not computers. Think about it logically:

I can spend about $1,500 building a great computer system that's a real gaming system and spend about $40 per game for new games...

Or I can blow $300 for a new console system and about $40 per game for new games...

Both have online features, both have fantastic graphics...

But one costs about 1/5th the price of the other...hell, I could throw in a nice HD TV to connect the game console to and still come out money ahead.

Think - do - win.

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

eino1953
April 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I Have two Windows computers still in the house, I prefer Ubuntu over windows for surfing the web, and using it for displaying pictures. It seems that Ubuntu graphics are better. When It comes to surfing the web it seem faster, safer,and more secure than windows. :smile:

MBybee
April 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I find it to be a faster, leaner, more stable platform for work. I also work with primarily Unix hosts in my job, so having native X and native SCP/SSH beats things like PuTTY and MobaXTerm for speed and flexibility.

My laptop also gets roughly 2x the battery life under 11.04 vs Win 7.

tango_chuck
April 22nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
After facing my fifth rebuild of Vista on my HP laptop, I was finally fed up with windows. I had the laptop for about a year and a half and like I said fifth rebuild. I could have gone to the mega PC store and bought Windows 7 and some more memory and continue to pay for anti virus programs or build with Ubuntu instead for F R E E. I was up with a fully functional OS in less than 15 minutes! I've been tinkering ever since and love it.

I am an IT professional and I love the challenges presented with Linux too. Although I must say that I am impressed with the "out of the box build" capabilities of Ubuntu too. I could easily give this to a laymen user and they would have no trouble surfing Facebook, checking email, etc.

ESDEEM
April 22nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
Because Ubuntu is customizable...free of charge...fast growing..having best help and support - the ubuntu forums....as it's for humans....humanity....trust....stable....zero buggy...amazing....OMG i don't have words.....:popcorn:

Ronalddig
April 22nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
for me , simple and short reason

1. its FREE

2. Its FAST : i founf statistics saying that win 7 is almost as fast as ubuntu but practically i find ubuntu start and shut down very fast compared to win 7

3. No ViRUS , enjoy the freedom

4. More customize-ability

5. Good graphics

6. Frequent release make it possible to have latest support of some emerging features

7. Easy upgrade

8. Dual boot which windows dont support but i can access my files from linux anyways.

9. I LOVE IT :)

baconmaker
April 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Security, security and security, stability, flexibility, easy on the hardware (you don't need the latest and greatest), helpfulness of the forums, and something new almost everyday. And that is after just a few weeks of real use. The more I use it the more I like it.

BertN45
April 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
FROM WIKIPEDIA

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP; however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes are no longer being offered.
On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated.

Soon you will be left completely alone in a world full of viruses, malware and other trolls. :(

_outlawed_
April 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM

Please provide proper citations if you are going to copy paste content from Wikipedia.

DoFlooterMoose
April 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Well... for me, it was a fact of being fed up with Windows. I used to swear by 7. I had got my start in computers with Windows 95'. skipped up to XP a few years later. And then Vista. Which i really couldnt see the issues everyone was having with it. I learned how to tweak it the way I wanted it. And never had issues with it.

Then about a year after 7 came out and was more stable. I converted to it. And loved it. I learned everything I could about it. Tweaking it. Customising it. Even building my own version of it. I started working on other peoples computers. Installing 7, and making their system run as well and safe as mine was. (lots of software testing came in handy). But I was always fascinated with Linux distro's. Mainly Ubunut, Mint, and PCLinuxOS. I tried several different live CD's (lets see you do that with Windows) but never went as far as installing one.

Then one night I was cleaning my computer, updating, scanning, etc. It hit me. WHY?!?! Why does it have to be so hard to just enjoy your computer? Everything I did to Windows felt like a waist of time. Like nothing I did would make a difference. Ever. So... I installed Ubuntu 10.10, (after a lot of debate over Mint and PCLinuxOS) Completely wiping out Windows. It is a learning curve to say the least. But I have never felt free'er.

I can do Almost everything I used to do with 7, but taking up less resources. Less headache. Less space. And less time. I feel safer. And... I feel part of a family with Ubuntu as opposed to a number with Windows. I mean... how can I compare a system that cost me NOTHING as opposed to one that Cost me just about everything.

I love Ubunutu!!! I will never go back to Windows! But... in the end its all in what you like. What your willing to deal with. And how much Aspirin you have in the cupboard.

Dragonbite
April 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM
FROM WIKIPEDIA

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP; however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes are no longer being offered.
On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated.

Soon you will be left completely alone in a world full of viruses, malware and other trolls. :(

And in those 3 years between now and the end of XP support, if you purchase a computer it will come with either Windos 7 or even Windows 8 which will be supported for well past 2014.

Are you going to expect to continue to get security updates in Ubuntu 11.04 in 2014? Even 10.04 LTS has a shelf life of 2013 for desktops and 2015 for servers.

aysiu
April 24th, 2011, 04:31 AM
And in those 3 years between now and the end of XP support, if you purchase a computer it will come with either Windos 7 or even Windows 8 which will be supported for well past 2014.

Are you going to expect to continue to get security updates in Ubuntu 11.04 in 2014? Even 10.04 LTS has a shelf life of 2013 for desktops and 2015 for servers. Show me the free upgrade from XP to Windows 7.

You're assuming people will purchase a new computer in the next three years. Truthfully, many people with XP computers will. But for those who don't, they either have to pay for an upgrade, live with no security patches, or install Linux.

DrSeemann
April 24th, 2011, 04:58 AM
How get Windows to run fast, and free of viruses. The same applies to how to run it without viruses, and how to remove them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhJV5gXUXlQ

Is unbelievable how Windows support works.

Format your hard drive twice, boil it for 5 minutes, dry it, plug it carefully because there are virus in the atmosphere that can infect it, wash your hands with alcohol, install Windows without internet connection, then AV, antis spyware, anti malware, update, pray and if you have some problems, repeat operation from step one.

RFXCasey
April 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM
To be quite honest with you, I don't really have a problem with Windows security. I only run Avast antivirus free edition, Comodo firewall and do a spybot scan every once in a while. I also have my Firefox security adjusted but I can say I have not had a virus for quite a long time and only the occasional spy cookie or so. I am however behind a Smoothwall hardware firewall so I guess in a way Linux saves the day again.:D

P.S. hey look everyone DrSeemann is really Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Show me the free upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Does it have to be legal ;)

freshminted
April 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM
That alone makes it worthwhile!!
As a business I could not afford to constantly re-licence Windows, pay someone to maintain it, and sit and wait for it to recover from a daily crash. Whether it plays games or not is irrelevant, but having flexible Office software that is simply superior to MS Office and can still read/write to any version is a godsend. My one small gripe is there is not yet a graphics package to match CorelDraw and CorelPaint. Gimp is good, but less user friendly and not so all encompassing.

If the UK local and central government were to scrap Windows in favour of Linux, this country would save several million pounds. There are NO Window programmes used by them that are not better replicated in Linux, and being free provide a win-win situation. But then we would have thousands of IT chaps who only know Windows out of work....

trollger
April 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Microsoft overcomplicates things you don't get good updates you have to restart your computer often it feezes it crashes, XP is over 10 years old and is the most vonerable OS in the world. I don't wamt tp pay 100$ for somthing not as good as ubuntu/a solid linux distro which is completely free and ENCOURAGES sharing and downloading.

I have the power to customize linux and I am in controll of my OS. BTW what does microsoft do with those 10 GIB that windows takes up? Now that is the real question!

aguafina
April 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Never had Windows, I'm a OsX & LInux guy (SnowLeopard & Gnome3).

From what I've seen of Windows it looks okay, probably a little less user-friendly than OSX and what not yet solid when it comes to PC games.

MikeR.
April 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
My thing for using it more was for about 3 reasons. 1 is stability, I was getting errors from programs that had no reason not to work, with linux you don't get that. 2 is the factor of speed, I'm running a dual core 2.1 ghz processor with 4 gb's ram and an ati graphics card and still was a little sluggish with 7 because I couldn't go to XP for fear of no drivers. Linux doesn't slow down nearly as quickly and boots up fast. 3 was I just got tired of not being able to end a process that needed to be ended as well as all the viruses. it all comes down to if you could use the freedom. If you wanna have a stable system that you can tweak to make stuff work or do you want to have a simple system you're used to.

HostPost
April 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Very interesting topic.
Here is my shillings worth.

I have been putting up with Windows for years and suffered the periodic reinstall because of mounting errors and sluggish performance not to mention the on going security issues and poor software. (Just loath IE)

Then despite being ultra cautious I had my hard drive wrecked by a virus - no idea where it came from or how it got there but it threatened years of work, my online business and opened a shed load of security back doors.

That was enough!

I am new to Linux and am still learning. I am entrusting my business computing operation entirely to Linux from now on. So far have been amazed by Ubuntu, It just works, doesn't ask me for drivers and runs far quicker and more efficiently than any windows set up I have used. And is 100% cheaper!

I think the question should be why wouldn't you choose it?

aphatak
April 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I switched over to Linux almost three years ago. The most compelling reason to try Linux out at that time was the root of all evil - money! I had seven computers in my home running XP-Pro, and I would have had to pay $1,259.93 plus tax to upgrade them all to Windows Vista, to say nothing of the money I would have to spend on hardware upgrades. And that would have run out in two years, because Windows 7 was already being talked about. I have a pathological aversion to parting with money, which was why I tried Linux.

I tried three flavors, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu. I could have gone to any one of these three, but I found myself using Ubuntu more often than the others. I do use Windows 7 as the primary operating system on one machine, for three reasons -

My employer's intranet site runs reliably only with Internet Explorer 7/8. It is not the underlying software - I have seen all our infrastructure software, MS Exchange and ERP packages working happily with Linux / Firefox elsewhere. In response to questions as to why not Linux, I get mumbled replies about stability and security. Comments about the long list of Fortune-1000 companies entrusting their mission-critical data to Linux are not seen as relevant.
Watching movies online on sites such as Netflix and Comcast works only with windows.
Handwriting recognition. Windows has got it down pat. CellWriter under Linux does not come even close.

Today, I would be very reluctant to switch back to Windows on my home computers.

I have lost my tolerance for being force-fed - having new versions rammed down my throat. Once support for old versions is dropped, there is a whole lot of trouble - no security updates, new software does not want to run under old operating system versions, and hardware makers do not give me drivers for 'outdated' OSs. So whether or not I want to pay the old dog to wear a new lipstick, I have to upgrade.
Paying the annual fees for additional software licenses, such as office software, virtual-machine software and anti-virus software has somehow lost its charm for me.
I would sorely miss some features of Linux that I have gotten accustomed to, such as software RAID (which I need for storing my documents, audio, photo and video collection, which together runs to more than 6TB excluding a backup copy), multiple desktops and X over ssh.
Another good habit I lost was that of waiting patiently for a feature update or a bug fix. When your requests are pooled, queued, and prioritized by the vendor, the chances of MY need being classed as low-priority-perhaps-in-next-major-release are pretty good. In the Linux world, there will always be at least a couple of guys who are irritated enough to want to fix the bug, capable enough to fix it, and socially responsible enough to publish the fix.
If I can avoid it, I will avoid the risk of a software vendor going out of business. Trust me, it has happened to me, and the feeling of being left high and dry is not pleasant. Comapred to the chances of a single software vendor going belly-up, the chances of the whole open-software community vanishing from the world are pretty low, I'd think!

On technological capabilties and user-friendliness alone, choosing between Windows and Linux is likely to be a very difficult decisions - they are evenly matched. it's the other things that drive me towards Linux - specifically Ubuntu.

schbank
April 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I moved to Linux around six years ago during university. After a lot of problems with Windows and being strapped for cash (we frequented pubs a lot) I made the switch after using openSUSE on a university computer during one of my classes. My first Ubuntu distro was Drake and it's only gotten better, although I'm not made my mind up on Unity yet (had a play with the beta, so looking forward to the release tomorrow).

In need of a new laptop and I'm thinking about the Dell XPS 15, so that should provide some fun in getting it all up and running.

collisionystm
April 27th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I started using Linux about 2 years ago. I was working as a Mitel VOIP Technician and installed a Teleworker server for the first time. It was running CENTOS. This sparked my curiosity, which needless to say, lead me straight to Ubuntu.

I have loved using Ubuntu, it has truly taught me many things about computers. I am now a systems admin running 9 Linux Servers, ( 1 Centos and 8 Debian / Ubuntu ) and 2 Windows boxes.

On my personal PC I still find myself installing a new OS every month. I can never be satisfied with keeping one. I love the colors and beauty of Windows 7 applications such as Evernote =)
But then I miss the stability and uniqueness of Linux.

As of today I have Fedora 14 installed. I just put it on 2 hours ago. The speed is incredible and makes me wish Ubuntu still seemed this fast.

Although I am not completely satisfied with Fedora due to its labrynth of software repositories with more labeling, I may yet find myself back to ubuntu in the future.

homerhomer
April 29th, 2011, 04:20 AM
My reasons for running Linux

* Free
* Easy to install and uninstall software.
* Haven't had a virus or spyware problem since using Linux
* Stable
* Control, nothing beats dropping into runlevel 1
* Spite, just kidding.
* My old computer hardware RUNS LIKE A CHAMP with Linux
* In Windows I find that I spend way to much time cleaning the registry, de-fragging the hard drive, Removing temp files and other silly maintenance that I don't have to do in Linux. If I'm cleaning files in Linux, it's usually because I ran out of room.

peyre
May 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Oddly enough, I switched mainly for the freedom and choice. I always felt trapped by Microsoft--there was always a gnawing suspicion that MS could change the terms and I'd have no choice but to live with them. What if they switched to a subscription basis (which was a real discussion a decade ago)? What if they started $#@!ing with people's systems to make sure they weren't pirating it (sure enough, WGA came along)?

And one thing I love to do is get old computers back up and running with a fresh OS and give them to people who don't have a computer at all but would like to be able to check email etc. I can't just install Windows on an old machine that doesn't have a license for it, and a Windows license that's transferable from one computer to another is very expensive (like $150 vs. $50).

Another reason was work-related. Some of our servers are BSD boxes, and becoming day-to-day familiar with Linux would be a big step toward familiarizing myself with how Unix works.

So I switched from XP to Xubuntu (Lubuntu on my old laptop) back in 2008, and I'm glad I did. There are difficulties, of course. All told, I've found that some things are easier to do in Windows, and others easier in Linux. But I can install *buntu on any computer I want without worrying about licensing. I can run the latest and greatest version of *buntu without paying a dime (try that with Windows 8 when it comes along!). And also, with Ubuntu it turns out there's a thriving community of enthusiastic users who are there to help you on the Ubuntu forums when you get stuck.

kitsuneclem
May 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
literally got tired Of installing windows all the time from loss of data do to trojans, mal-ware and OTHER

took me a few distros of Ubuntu to accept the change and several experiences later I will never go back to windows

I think what throws of most beginner transitioners of LInux from windows Is not the learning curve oddly enough but the mindset of downoload everything and root password all programs

JohnBoy99
May 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
The reason i switfched to Linux is security. Windows is not secure. There is a lot of corporate spying done by programs that slip in as "Updates". One time I was getting 3 printer updates per week for 2 weeks until I stopped it. Another time I walked into my computer room and I observe the modem light flickering as well as my hard drive light. What happened to the message "Do you want this program to access the internet?".

The second reason is Linux is more efficient. When you boot up windows it takes about 2 minutes to get to the desktop and you still have an hour glass on the screen. Linux is internet-ready in less than 12 seconds.Linus is a better software solution for the PC.

peyre
May 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
As JohnBoy mentioned, Linux tends to be more efficient with a computer's resources. I should add to what I said earlier that I switched on my laptop largely for speed reasons. It's a very old machine, and Lubuntu makes the most of what it's got. Sure it ran Windows 2000 pretty well, but it took for-ever to boot up. Lubuntu comes up in a really short period of time...and once it's up, it runs as fast as Win2000 did. Not bad for a brand-new OS compared to a decade-old one, eh?

treehermit
May 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Ubuntu doesnt support syncing PIM with the largest phone manufacturer in the world [Nokia], or with one of the largest Mobile Os in the world [Symbian]
:confused:

Dragonbite
May 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
But I can install *buntu on any computer I want without worrying about licensing. I can run the latest and greatest version of *buntu without paying a dime (try that with Windows 8 when it comes along!). And also, with Ubuntu it turns out there's a thriving community of enthusiastic users who are there to help you on the Ubuntu forums when you get stuck.

It's great to be able to take a hodge-podge of computers and have them all running the same operating system even if they are older, or newer systems, laptops, desktops or servers.

eino1953
May 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Is this true?

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, 'If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.' In response to Bill 's comments, Ford issued a press release stating: If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part): 1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash.........Twice a day. 2.. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car. 3... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this. 4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine. 5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads. 6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning light. 7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying. 8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna. 9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car. 10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off. PS - I 'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call ' customer service ' in some foreign country and be instructed in some foreign language how to fix your car yourself!!!! :lol:

Not unique
May 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
1. Free
2. Fast.
3. No defrag or virus's
4. I love the community
And a WHOLE load of other reasons.

P.S. eino1953 I love that statment ha ha.

Ricalsin
May 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the additional screen space! Having four "desktops" (compared to windows) surely helps to spread out your various projects and personal things. Now, with Windows that's probably not a good idea because about the time you get it spread out you'll need to reboot! With Linux, no problem. It just handles it. That said, I continue to keep Windows on a dual boot system. That's because I run some high-end 3-D software that has not been developed for Linux yet. So just reboot and do it. But it will be on Linux soon enough. The OS is just too good to pass on. Finally, if you're into software development then you need to be on Linux - for reasons too numerous to mention. I think it's now 80% of the world's web pages are served by a Linux machine. Just ask yourself "Why?"

aysiu
May 10th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the additional screen space! Having four "desktops" (compared to windows) surely helps to spread out your various projects and personal things. It's probably because you can have it in Windows, too. I use Windows at work and have a program called VirtuaWin (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) (it's GPL'ed) that allows me as many virtual desktops as I want.

I shut down every Friday and boot up again every Monday. No freezes or blue screens of death.

eino1953
May 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I like Ubuntu over windows, because when my 4 year old grandson is here. I let him play games that are not available in Windows. Besides he can not harm the operating system. I would never let a 4 year old play games on a Windows computer he can do to much damage. HA HA I really like the educational games., and It's great for small children to learn on.

peyre
May 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Is this true?

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

I've heard that story before, and I suspect that it's made up, just like the "no one will ever need more than 640k of memory" line that's mistakenly attributed to Bill Gates. In any case, it's not recent (in computer terms) since Comdex shut down in 2003.

Dragonbite
May 29th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I like Ubuntu over windows, because when my 4 year old grandson is here. I let him play games that are not available in Windows. Besides he can not harm the operating system. I would never let a 4 year old play games on a Windows computer he can do to much damage. HA HA I really like the educational games., and It's great for small children to learn on.

Yeah, my now-9-year-old had messed up Windows pretty good when he was about 4. In 5 years he hasn't messed anything up in Linux that has effected me!

zippytex
May 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm female, so my answer concerns feelings.
Linux takes it for granted that I am an intelligent human being and involves me in the decisions concerning my computer.
I don't trust Windows or its motives.
I am a Linux newbie and get frustrated a lot, BUT, I am learning to do for myself and not depending on Windows like it is welfare.
So, there it is, I FEEL good about Ubuntu and I don't trust the powers behind Windows, even though I started out with Microsoft in DOS 3.3. :D

Nyromith
May 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I didn't choose Linux for its bugs, I didn't choose Linux for its lack of integration, I didn't choose Linux for its incompatibility. I chose Linux because of its spirit - the ancient love of computing that made hackers explore and strive to develop the most excellent software they can. I experienced this passion myself when I saw a computer the first time.

I really hate when people are talking with such a hatred about the 1970-1990 era of computing. I know that beneath the stupid bells and whistles of modern systems 'normal' people are so exited about there still is the spark of the good old computing spirit.

And why Ubuntu? Less bugs, more integration, more compatibility.

EddieJoePopcorn
May 30th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Amarok is pretty good, but the only thing it has over iTunes, in my opinion, is being able to fetch the lyrics of whatever song you're playing--though, that's a pretty awesome feature!

Nice cat! (Is this kind of remark allowed?)

Thewhistlingwind
May 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM
1. Faster, takes less resources, more stable.
2. Great community
3. Open source, no threat of being attacked by a large multinational corporation
4. No security issues, creators CARE about your user experience and fixing vulnerabillities.
5. Industrial strength OS.
6. No crippleware.
7. Supports a full hackers toolkit out of the box.
8. No liscense fees or product keys, no matter how often you break your OS, you can reinstall.
9. Can participate in development without becoming an employee of a large multinational corporation.
10. Many different distributions for different tastes, no "one size fits all" version.
11. No paying for updates and upgrades (Unless you use RHEL)
12. Promotes openess and development of FOSS worldwise.
13. Can be shared with others at no cost. (Unless you use RHEL)
14. Varying degrees of difficulty in distros and tasks, one can improve their skills at any time.
15. Very "Hacker-like" attitude.

Thats just for starters.

Dry Lips
May 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
It's probably because you can have it in Windows, too. I use Windows at work and have a program called VirtuaWin (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) (it's GPL'ed) that allows me as many virtual desktops as I want.

I shut down every Friday and boot up again every Monday. No freezes or blue screens of death.

I didn't know about this program. Thanks a lot aysiu. :) On the other hand,
I think Ricalsin's point still is valid. As a windows user I didn't know about
workspaces, and as a new ubuntu user I didn't know what those for buttons
on the right side of the bottom panel was supposed to do. The majority of
windows users probably never have heard of workspaces, so they probably
wouldn't think of seeking out and install this program. (Even if it is a good one).

The concept of workspaces is definitively a major advantage of the Linux GUI,
now I couldn't imagine going back to just having one workspace.

Frogs Hair
June 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
I dual boot and I use Ubuntu most of the time at home . I choose Ubuntu because it is an operating system and Windows is an appliance .

It is like the difference between grilling a steak an cooking one in a microwave oven.

man_bash
June 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
I do not use Windows on my computer that came with the Windblows (whatever) because...

No-one pays me to use the Windblows OS. I'll use the free OS for free though. Hello Ubuntu, and Debian, my first love! Damn, I need to switch to Debian after Ubuntu 11.04. No desktop cube = no Ubuntu!!! One of the first things I got Ubuntu to do was to install Compiz and Emerald to run the Desktop Cube with Ubuntu 7.04. That feature wasn't supported at that time. It is not supported with 11.04, but 11.04 works against someone trying to enable the said feature, instead of 7.10-10.10 being proactively supporting of the desktop cube

man_bash
June 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Amarok is pretty good, but the only thing it has over iTunes, in my opinion, is being able to fetch the lyrics of whatever song you're playing--though, that's a pretty awesome feature!

In other words, you mean that Amarock has no defects over Itunes, and has the advantage of being able to load lyrics on the fly?

Silent Warrior
June 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure that means that Amarok, while good, only beats iTunes in that it can load lyrics.

Kromgol
June 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
More configurable, lightweight (Maybe not Ubuntu), and gives you more insight.

Brian0312
June 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
- 30 seconds to boot my laptop vs 5 mins to boot my laptop.
- Inherent security (assuming an intelligent user) vs Spotty security at best.
- So far no crashes vs inevitable crashes from just being on for a while.
- OS takes up 4 GB with all the programs vs 25Gb.
- No EULA vs I think Microsoft owns my soul now.
- 4 year old laptop running just fine vs possibly needing a new one to run efficiently.
- Multiple ways to configure the system and interface each considered equally valid vs Microsoft's decision on what is the best way to roll out computer usage to the masses.
- Community vs Monopoly.

The list goes on, but that hits the main points for me.

freshminted
June 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I assist the older user who no longer has the support of an office IT unit and also teach new elderly users. Invariably they have one or other Windows package. My first job, invariably is to remove the junk, the pop-ups, the advertising, and to clean the registry. Unfortunately I have also come across some really difficult issues in Vista resulting in wiping the disc as the only cure, prior to reinstalling.
With Linux, in my case Kubuntu I have yet to have the system crash, had not one virus or worm or trojan, and have had a great experience. Okay, I had to ditch my Canon printer and replace it with Lexmark, but that was a small price to pay for something this reliable.:D

redbikemaster
June 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Because I had taught myself basic UNIX on a Mac but couldn't afford a Mac. Then was given my current computer by a computer builder. He was leaving the country (military) and didn't want to take it with him. Heard I was into UNIX so he gave it to me with 9.10 installed. Never looked back (towards Windows, I mean! I still love Macs!).

nzjethro
June 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I use it cos it's fun, and offers a change. Windows isn't that horrible imo, but I like the challenge and flexibility of Ubuntu.

thenickrulz
June 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I choose it because it is opensource, so you get games and things for free..... i also like it because you dont always get random error messages coming up on yoour screen like windows...
Always loved linux and always will....
TNR

dmizer
June 9th, 2011, 12:57 AM
A friendly reminder:

This thread is for posting reasons for using Ubuntu, not reasons you do not use Ubuntu.

tiedfinals
June 9th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I choice Ubuntu because community discussions are easy and trusty. When it comes to Windows since profit is involve I have a feeling that people are always trying to get money from you even from questions.

cgroza
June 9th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Because I have the freedom to do so!

froar
June 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 Classic (no effects).
Much much faster, recognises hardware more efficiently, extremely good range of software.
Ubuntu just gets the job done while Windows Calculates the time it's going to take first (which is always way to long).
Security Security Security.
Simplicity. Overall functionality.

Cheers :p

nrundy
June 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Oh my god! Are you serious.

Compared to Windows XP, ubuntu boots so much faster, loads to desktop so much faster. Is a LOT more stable. More secure as well.

nzjethro
June 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Boot speed, run speed, use of hardware, looks and customisability (using XFCE on Maverick and falling in love), nerd cred, a challenge, security. Life with Linux is just better.

And now that I've installed Ubuntu, the best part (in my opinion) is that I haven't had to click "I agree to this EULA" in months!
:p

mahuhu
June 17th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Laptop decided to die after trying to re-installing vista for about the 8th time and wouldn't update to sp1 let alone sp2.

Thought i'd give linux a go since it was free and was going to replace old laptop anyway,
i"m using 11.04 with unity.

The only problems i have with it are upgrading intel drivers but as a new laptop is on its way soon its not much of a bother, but if its a hassle to run games through wine on new one i'll dual boot

Just fed-up with rubbish support bouncing me back and forth to diff depts and back to manufacturer and then them sending me back to ms support, only for ppl to not listen to the question i'm asking and trying to answer one that i didn't ask.

kamakazi20012
July 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I have been using it for a day as of this post. And so far, I've been able to as much as, if not more, with Ubuntu-Linux than I have been able to do with Windows 7...and at half the speed. I am currently dual-booting to Windows or Ubuntu on my laptop since I am going to college and the software they gave me only runs on Windows. If I can find software alternatives similar to some popular titles in the Adobe CS4 Suite so I can meet my assignment requirements I will make the full switch.

In all honesty, I find Ubuntu to be a great operating system alternative. It manages to bring together the power of a PC with an interface that is easier to use than what is found on a Mac...and I love Macs! With Ubuntu, I no longer want a Mac, I have almost everything I need with it. The only thing I'm going to miss is my Sims 2 game :( But no big deal there.

Zero2Nine
July 5th, 2011, 09:59 AM
No fees, no keys, no activation, no 'genuine advantage'... in short freedom. Not because I think Linux is better than Windows per se, maybe it is not but I just don't care.

Dragonbite
July 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Because I was able to just (legally) burn a CD to give my Brother-in-law to send to a friend of his, who's Windows XP is virus-laden.

Nichtswisser
July 6th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Because Windows 7 is a slow piece of crap. Let alone an OS which is never really idle and steadily scans the HDD for unknown reasons. When using win 7 I feel like I have a soviet inspector watching over my shoulder. An OS which I can trust is an OS which I won't use more than is absolutely necessary. I only use win 7 for games since there is sadly little choice otherwise.

peyre
July 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
When using win 7 I feel like I have a soviet inspector watching over my shoulder.

In Soviet Russia, the computer uses you!

bobk_nyc
July 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
not to mention Photoshop....Gimp just can't cut it, when you need to produce. I use Win 7. my main machine, and my laptop....I am using ubuntu 11.04. to replace a fried hard drive that had xp. and that was mostly to drive my TV....I will give it s chance again, I only hope I can get Samba to work...

jvgeli
July 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I find it funny that people are actually replying to this thread, even after 6 years. Also, what is this guy (Thread Starter) doing in an Ubuntu Forum when he using windows. Hahaha.

And to answer the original question, mostly because its free. Second, it brings out the creativity and learning at least for me.

This age old question can be answered with four words : "To Each his own"

Dragonbite
July 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM
This age old question can be answered with four words : "To Each his own"

Yeah, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Proxmty
July 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I hope people are still reading this coz it's an interesting one.

For me, it's not the fact it's free (as such), though it's a bonus.

First and foremost, as others have obviously said, it doesn't get malware. I mean, that kicks ****. For the first time(except on the ipad)I'm ****in immune i feel like a devine being. But more than that, it so damned fluid and quick. Now I know xp, and maybe the others can be with the proper maintenance, but as a relatively new Linux user, I've found the experiences of getting it all set up and fixing this and that much easier than everything I'd need to do with windows. But even with all that, Linux boots up from off in about 2 minutes. And it's not a new machine. There is no way windows could deliver that on my cranky laptop(prove me wrong but I doubt it)

And then last but most of all - the community. I doubt I could get anywhere near the support and education to do the necessaries in windows because you try searching "why is my computer slow" in google and watch all the marketing crap you get. Then maybe someone suggests ccleaner. But with Linux, because of the community and support ethic (which I find a beautiful thing. Sob. Genuinely though) I've always got the answers close to hand. Which is why when I said it being free isn't the main thing as SUCH, but the culture born of it, is worth more than the latest iMac with all the trimmings....And some.

Proxmty
July 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have been using it for a day as of this post. And so far, I've been able to as much as, if not more, with Ubuntu-Linux than I have been able to do with Windows 7...and at half the speed. I am currently dual-booting to Windows or Ubuntu on my laptop since I am going to college and the software they gave me only runs on Windows. If I can find software alternatives similar to some popular titles in the Adobe CS4 Suite so I can meet my assignment requirements I will make the full switch.

In all honesty, I find Ubuntu to be a great operating system alternative. It manages to bring together the power of a PC with an interface that is easier to use than what is found on a Mac...and I love Macs! With Ubuntu, I no longer want a Mac, I have almost everything I need with it. The only thing I'm going to miss is my Sims 2 game :( But no big deal there.

Try Wine for your windows programmes. And I think there is a sims type game in the software Market. I think.

oldsoundguy
July 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Man, somebody dug this old one up!

Why (since 6.04)
The time and effort taken each week to keep protection current and to scan and clean out the garbage from a Windows computer.
(btw, never got a virus .. some malware (minor) .. but I practiced safe hex and my machines always wore protection.)

Plus having to re-boot after every little update or upgrade even on the 3rd party programs. And it got slower and slower and slower as the operating system aged. ckdsk and defrag would help, but not completely and eventually things had to be removed and re-installed.

I just like the simplicity of operation on Ubuntu, and the first time I installed it on a desktop .. EVERYTHING worked . no searching for drivers .. just some minor tweaking for personal choices and preferences.

Then there is the cost. (of the OS and the third party programs.)

canundrum69
July 9th, 2011, 12:45 AM
It may sound a bit silly, but there are only a few things holding me to windows.
I am using Ubuntu on my laptop but I don't do much with my laptop except Web, Email, and some Downloading, so it works just fine

I use my desktop for much more including trying to learn Japanese.
the thing I can't get Ubuntu to do is to switch input languages like MS Language Bar

With the Language Bar I can open up Notepad and set my input to Japanese without effecting anything else on my system.

I have been a Windows user so long that learning something new is a bit of a challenge for me, so If you can tell me how to duplicate this feature in Ubuntu simply and quickly then I am Off Windows for good.

:confused:

cdtech
July 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM
You could start a new thread with that exact same question and I bet someone will work with you to produce an app or point you in the proper direction.

canundrum69
July 9th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Thanks
I really hadn't thought about that....I had just wondered if there was anything existing
I'll do that

peyre
July 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM
It may sound a bit silly, but there are only a few things holding me to windows....
I use my desktop for much more including trying to learn Japanese.
the thing I can't get Ubuntu to do is to switch input languages like MS Language Bar

With the Language Bar I can open up Notepad and set my input to Japanese without [a]ffecting anything else on my system.

Better yet, with Ubuntu you can switch the whole OS over to Japanese if you really want an immersive experience. Try that with Windows. If I were still studying French or Spanish, I could switch my Xubuntu to run en français o en español.

cbanakis
July 9th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Well, I'm sure we all know Windows is free to, if you want it to be. :)

I actually buy Windows, then use hacked copies, because the legitimate versions are a huge pain in the ...

what with having to type in a product id, activating, and god forbid you upgrade your computer more than 3 times, cause then you have to call them every time to activate.

Linux is legitimately free.
You can customize Linux's GUI without violating some terms and conditions agreements.
It is easier to customize Linux to meet your needs, because you don't have to hack it to do so.
Linux runs faster, and smoother.
Once you have your Linux box setup, 10 years later, it will run the exact same way.

I have serious thoughts about Windows having a sort of time bomb embedded in it.

No matter how well you manage your windows computer, it eventually slows down, and a re-format always makes it run like new again.

Same with OS X (Not as bad, but still noticable)

canundrum69
July 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Better yet, with Ubuntu you can switch the whole OS over to Japanese if you really want an immersive experience. Try that with Windows. If I were still studying French or Spanish, I could switch my Xubuntu to run en français o en español.

I would, and may in the future some time do just that, but as of now I don't possess the fluency of the language to be able to do that...

While Learning I would just like one section I can do that with
like what i do now with notepad
I just open a notepad, switch on the Kana and practice my phrases.
Then I send them to my Sensei to see what kinds of mistakes I made.

I still make a lot
:-|

Tibuda
July 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM

You can buy Windows in different languages too.

peyre
July 11th, 2011, 03:47 AM
You can buy Windows in different languages too.

And it costs more, too. I used to do support for software in the US and Canada, and our French Canadian clients often ran Windows in English--not because the French version was hard to find, but because it was more expensive! Talk about "charging whatever the market will bear".

peyre
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Once you have your Linux box setup, 10 years later, it will run the exact same way.

I have to disagree with you there. I set up my main computer back in Ubuntu 9.10, IIRC, and it's gotten a little messed up, so I'm getting ready to wipe the hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Same process and similar timing as I had with my Windows installations--but, this time there'll be no product key or activation involved. I do so like that Linux gives you what you request, no questions asked.

soso71
July 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I chose Ubuntu over Windows because I have just decided to open my eyes and realize the Freedom (FREE!) of Linux. I have had to swindle, deal, hack, bribe, etc.. for Windows/MS software for the past 15yrs and I have had enough.
I am sooo relieved that there is OpenOffice that I can work on Office documents from work and work on them at home (full version of OpenOffice) and not skip a beat because I only had a MS viewer in Windows. I totally am regreting that I have waited for soo long to come over to this side. I hope it stays "cool" and does not fall to marketing BS to include viruse/spam etc..... I am knocking on wood now!

As Billy Squire Says,,,, "Juss Stroke May, Stroke may, heY!!:D

cdtech
July 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Welcome soso, good luck on your new venture. Lots of good information on this forum to guide you.

mkstallings1
July 11th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I dual boot XP and 11.04 on my laptop. They each have their own HDD. I've only been using Ubuntu for 9 months, but I will never go back. I originally tried Ubuntu 10.10 because my laptop was getting old and XP was starting to get really slow. Even after reinstalling, it wouldn't take long before I was waiting around for "My Documents" to open. I tried Ubuntu and all of a sudden everything was working like new again. I have also learned so much in the last 9 months from tweaking the system that I never learned with XP.

theOGRE
July 12th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I choose Gnu/Linux over WinBlows because I enjoy freedom(\\:D/), and dislike monopoly([-().
Plus...
I OWN this computer, and it calls me Master.

Dragonbite
July 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I choose Gnu/Linux over WinBlows because I enjoy freedom(\\:D/), and dislike monopoly([-().
Plus...
I OWN this computer, and it calls me Master.

WinBlows? Is that an OS/2 spin, or a BSD?

cbanakis
July 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have to disagree with you there. I set up my main computer back in Ubuntu 9.10, IIRC, and it's gotten a little messed up, so I'm getting ready to wipe the hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Same process and similar timing as I had with my Windows installations--but, this time there'll be no product key or activation involved. I do so like that Linux gives you what you request, no questions asked.

Ah, but did time and use alone mess it up?
Or did you mess it up, trying to F*** with it?

I know that every time my ubuntu box gets screwy, it is always my own fault for trying to mess with stuff I don't fully understand yet.

peyre
July 30th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Ah, but did time and use alone mess it up?
Or did you mess it up, trying to F*** with it?

I know that every time my ubuntu box gets screwy, it is always my own fault for trying to mess with stuff I don't fully understand yet.

Fair question. A little of both. I installed a reasonable amount of software on it, but not all kinds of crazy sh** I found on the Internet. Similar, again, to what I do in Windows. The point is that I use Ubuntu in about the same way I use Windows, and I'm having a similar experience stability-wise. The two big differences are: 1) licensing (NONE in Ubuntu! yay!) and 2) Windows slows down, vs. Ubuntu starts acting funny, like opening six copies of Nautilus every time I boot up even though I didn't have it open when I shut down. A third issue has cropped up since I last updated: I'm having trouble getting the NVidia driver to install and stick--it says it's activated but not currently in use. WTF? I'd have had Windows up and running by now, but 11.04 has been f***ing with me. I'm working on it though--I'll get it sorted out sooner or later.

uberdonkey5
July 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I must admit, with time, I have reverted more and more to windows. I have two laptops, both have windows and one has mint (double boot). The problems in mint were definately not my fault.. indeed I swapped to speed up the installation time hoping it was just like ubuntu, but with codecs, however the software manager stopped working (now solved).

I remember that I have reinstalled ubuntu so many more times than windows, so the problem of slowing down doesnt really exist.. I just do a reinstallation. One thing that keeps me with ubuntu/mint is that I like the simplicity and speed of rhythmbox.

One advantage I find for a working computer for windows, is that I dont feel a tendancy to change anything.. I just work. Its easy to waste days if not weeks on ubuntu trying to make some groovey weather display etc on the desktop!

kaldor
July 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM
One advantage I find for a working computer for windows, is that I dont feel a tendancy to change anything.. I just work. Its easy to waste days if not weeks on ubuntu trying to make some groovey weather display etc on the desktop!

If that's the case, maybe GNOME Shell is perfect for you.

el_koraco
July 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
If that's the case, maybe GNOME Shell is perfect for you.

Until he starts messing with conky. That's a kiss productivity goodbye scenario.

ninjaaron
July 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I choose Ubuntu over Windows because it makes better use of resources, so I can buy cheaper computers. I also like the fact that it's open source, so I know it's not sending my data to all kinds of crazy places without me knowing. Also, there are very few viruses for it. OSX and Windows now have reasonably good security, but that doesn't stop Trojans.

peyre
July 30th, 2011, 02:33 PM
...indeed I swapped to speed up the installation time hoping it was just like ubuntu, but with codecs...

If it's speed you're interested in, you should give the lightweight flavors a spin. Try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. I use Xubuntu on my main computer because it's plain, simple, and snappy. I use Lubuntu on my laptop because it's an old machine and Lubuntu makes minimal demands on the system, so it runs nice and fast, even on this 5+yo system (it's old enough to still have a parallel and PS/2 port).

Erik1984
July 30th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Freedom and the Ubuntu community.

KUU
July 31st, 2011, 01:54 AM
:D Funny, 520 pages about Windows and this is not even a Windows forum. says to me a lot about the Linux community and just how unhappy they are with Linux that they have to go and make thread after thread about Windows.

If Linux was any good it would be all that is talked about, no threads about any other crappy OS.

IWantFroyo
July 31st, 2011, 01:57 AM
I can 'just work' with Linux. Heck, W7 was so weird that I couldn't even get a path up for Java. Here, my system's all prepped for it :)

Also, I like how I don't have to search around for programs to do rudimentary things. Also, I love how I don't have to pay for anything. Also, I love the programs' integration with the desktop. Also, I love workspaces. Need I go on?

peyre
July 31st, 2011, 03:58 AM
:D Funny, 520 pages about Windows and this is not even a Windows forum. says to me a lot about the Linux community and just how unhappy they are with Linux that they have to go and make thread after thread about Windows.

If Linux was any good it would be all that is talked about, no threads about any other crappy OS.

Wow, someone who's not used to being in the minority in anything in life.

Look, anyone using a minority choice in any significant area compares itself to the dominant choice. Minor parties compare to the major ones. Minor European languages compare to the big ones. Smaller countries compare to bigger ones.

So Canadians will say how they're different from Americans, minor parties will say how they're different from the Dems or Reps, Catalans will say how their language is different from Spanish, and Linux users and Mac users (when they can be persuaded to accept they're in a minority) say how they're different from Windows. It's really not that complicated. No one asks how Windows is different from Ubuntu, Fedora, or FreeBSD. They ask how those guys are different from Windows, and why they should consider switching to them.

Perhaps you didn't read too closely and just skimmed for the word "Windows" without checking to see how people were using it. Yes, Windows comes up here a lot because it's the big elephant in the room no one can ignore. Besides, most of us switched to Linux from Windows. I don't suppose it's occurred to you that there's a reason we switched--and that reason differs from person to person, so it's normal we'd want to discuss it.

geogur
July 31st, 2011, 04:06 AM
im using a ubuntu usb stick even better than a dual boot !

Proxmty
September 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Really?? Well I never noticed, how ironic.

Windows is unfortunately life's 'standard' though, so it's to be expected no? For example, the only thing I'm unhappy about on my linux is the fact I currently can't print with it . So have to boot into Windows (if I start the boot on Friday am usually ready to print the document by about Monday week). So that may be a reason why I would mention widows in a linux forum ...and am sure everyone has their own reason.

But apart from to occaisionally print, I am otherwise permanently in my linux environment enjoying the fastest internet you can ever imagine (or so it feels sometimes). So no, am not unhappy with linux, why would I be with something that boots up in seconds, never get any viruses, any lag, slowdown, enters websites at lightning speed, runs vidoes like it's opening a text file and everything is easily available and free??? Not many downsides there really so in the balance of pros and cons, all that versus printing, meh I know which I go with.... Anyway if I was unhapy I'd bin it wouldn't I and surely that goes for every other linux user?

ninjaaron
September 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I choose Windows over Ubuntu because GURB puts it first in by boot list. :P

Nah. Not really. I've actually been single-booting from the beginning because I wanted to go all open-source partially for idealogical reasons. As an academic, the idea that information and ideas should be freely shared is very appealing to me (in addition to some of the more practical advantages FOSS development provide). Needless to say, Windows doesn't scratch that itch. I also switched from Mac, so I was already used to some of the realities of using a minority OS (like no malware :p).

One one of my most recent systems, I decided to leave Windows on for convenience's sake, not least because I had seen how much better Windows 7 was than previous versions. It really is. I liked it a lot. However, by that time I was so used to doing all my work in Ubuntu, I didn't use Windows too often, so every time I booted, I'd have tons of updates a bit of ad-ware bothering me.

Needless to say, updates in Windows are horrible. They try to make you shut-down every five minutes, then when the reboot, they tell you need to start up again. This can happen several times in a row. Part of the problem was that I was only using Windows to play Starcraft or I was planning on watching longer flash videos, so I would be in fullscreen, and Windows would force a shutdown without me even having seen it, so it was making me angrier and angrier.

Finally, I booted once, and a program opened that told me I had a serious error on my drive, which I took seriously, having used linux for a three years and OSX for five years previous, where you don't get messages like that for no reason. I clicked to do the full scan, and it took me to some site to buy a program. I was like 'what?' and I started looking for some kind of free alternative, but I couldn't find one, and I was actually considering buying the program.

Then someone was like "No, you idiot. It's just an ad. There's nothing wrong with your computer."

I nearly chucked it out the door. I removed Windows the next day. Getting an ad like that from a website is whatever, but actually having it installed on your computer is more than I can handle. I don't know if it was some OEM **** or a trojan, but if the latter, all the more reason to get rid of the system.

So that's why.

tl;dr: I like FOSS ideaology, and Windows updates plus adware make me angry.

im using a ubuntu usb stick even better than a dual boot !

While there are some advantages to a USB boot, and I have a more personalized system set up on a USB as well, booting from the harddrive definitely has a lot of advantages over a USB.

Danneskjold7
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I switched to Ubuntu for three primary reasons:

1) Windows and Google are Big Brother NSA operations designed to track and monitor everything that you do (according to everything my research has uncovered)

2) As a former IBM design engineer, I am sick of these monopoly corporate #$%^ controlling my choices.

3) Ubuntu runs much faster that Win7.

I am still trying to configure VPN for roaming internet connections when I travel to keep BB off my back.

peyre
September 12th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Interesting! I'm spending a long weekend at my parents' house for my high school reunion, and I'm borrowing their (almost) brand-new HP Win7 laptop. I'm finding that it's not much faster than my 5+yo HP laptop with Lubuntu.

'Course, my judge of speed is how fast a computer responds to a command: a click, or whatever. I sometimes think "Wow, what took it so long?" with my laptop, but now I see a NEW Win7 laptop doing the same thing, shoot! Why would I go back?

HtmlGifted
September 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Besides ubuntu giving you a lot of great features unlike windows it allows you to choose what gets booted when the operating system is booted. You have more control over the resouces your computer uses...

Plus it gives you much more security then a windows operating system...

plus your not restriked on how much you install it and not limited to buying a key just to use it on more that one system.... that alone made me a a fan of ubuntu a couple of years ago..

peyre
September 12th, 2011, 06:06 AM
My not restriked? What's that supposed to mean?

http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/04/08/funny-facebook-fails-your-welcome/

shashank86
September 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM

It is just a phase! Dont worry you will get over it! Ubuntu beats Windows hands down!

I am unable to put it down in words but you will learn about it as you go along!

shashank86
September 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM

A very valid point.

I, however, would like to point the other side of this. That would be, this shows how much support Linux gets.

My belief is that if windows was ever to lock horns with any other os, it would not have this much support!

peyre
September 16th, 2011, 04:31 AM
A very valid point.

I, however, would like to point the other side of this. That would be, this shows how much support Linux gets.

My belief is that if windows was ever to lock horns with any other os, it would not have this much support!

Not on a per-capita basis, at least.

cheesennacho
September 16th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Even after a fresh install windows products get slower and slower from the bloat eventually needing a fresh install.

rayzin519
September 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
windows annoys me. thats why I switched. Ubuntu is to dough as windows is to wood, expensive wood that wastes your time.

punyhuman22
September 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
):P New here, so hello to all. Ubuntu over Windows? That's easy, you can style Uby the way you want, load what you want, download stuff, run a great VBox to put windows in, get to know other uby users a little. Still like windows, I multi boot with Mint Julia, Win7, XP Pro, but Uby is still favorite. Each plays a role for me.

uncontrolable™
September 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I use what works. ubuntu 11.04 gets it done and looks pretty while doing it. I do use Windows for stuff, but I am not a gamer, so I don't really have the need to use if often.

freshminted
September 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I am a confirmed Kubuntu user, but when my desktop computer started to fail, I bought a smart HP Pavilion laptop with, you guessed it, Windows 7. After setting up, installing 2 hours of updates (on brand new install!!!) I discovered that Windows 7 was a huge improvement on previous versions. All my printers work in a way that wasn't possible with Kubuntu, and everything appeared great. I too received hourly Urgent Notifications, and on loading them had to go back to a previous restore point to delete them.
The system failed completely when it refused to recognise either my fingerprint or my password, and I had to try something drastic. My old desktop was working long enough for me to download "Ophcrack" which I was told would sort out the identification problems. Imagine my delight when it turned out to be a Linux OS, that not only found the lost password connections, but also found a number of serious errors. I recommend this to all Linux and Windows users - it is a life saver.
I too dislike being spied on but have been unable to find the lines of software in the system, and so I am careful when using my system. But the worst thing about Windows 7 is that when I say NO to a download, it still installs it as I shut down. This is overcome by unplugging the network cable before closing down, and similarly when booting, but it is a pain.
I still have Win7 on my laptop - but only with open source programs. Why pay for something that was stolen in the first places?

JoshuaMiller0
September 20th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Workspaces
Lack of constant crashing
much, much, MUCH faster
Easily customisable to how YOU like it
Open Office
Free
Many, Many, MANY more

ninjaaron
September 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
much, much, MUCH faster
[...]
Many, Many, MANY more

triple, triple, TRIPLE emphasis

kimda
September 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I use both Windows and Linux. But my main desktop system is Ubuntu. Why? Some points..

1. try upgrading all your programs with Windows to the latest version with the same ease as Debian based distros like Ubuntu. You will need third party software and even then its not as easy as apt-get :-)

2. security. Even with the latest Windows I feel more secure browsing the web with Firefox under Ubuntu then with Windows. Also Ubuntu comes standard with no open ports to the outside.

3. workspaces.

4. open source. No restrictive licensing. No drm. With Ubuntu and other Linux distro's you are more free than with Windows. If you want to switch to say fedora its not hard try switching all your closed source software to an open one. This can be very difficult because they want to lock you in.

5. massive amounts of quality software available for free. If you want to run your own server you can do this for free. And I am not only talking about money. You are not restricted by number of users or devices like with Microsoft or other commercial software vendors. Also on the desktop there are great programs available without all the restrictions.

6. solid base. I think that not only is the foundation of Ubuntu with the Linux kernel much more solid than Windows its also more flexible. You can swap hardware and still boot Ubuntu with the same install try doing that with Windows. Also ext4 filesystem beats ntfs any day of the week. I've recovered from filesystem errors that would have crippled any Windows system. I've used Linux to recover data from crashed Windows machines several times. Not so long ago I've lost several files with a ntfs drive this would probably not have happened if it was an ext3/4 formatted drive.

7. No more tweaking. With windows I am constantly defragging the harddrive, looking for ways to optimize performance etc.. If you don't you find your machine running to a crawl. Ubuntu doesn't require me to jump through hoops to keep the system running in good order.

Dragonbite
September 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
1. try upgrading all your programs with Windows to the latest version with the same ease as Debian based distros like Ubuntu. You will need third party software and even then its not as easy as apt-get :-)

Providing the latest version has been uploaded to the repositories. Otherwise you have to wait for the next release to get the most up-to-date version OR you have to make sure you add this-and-that PPA to keep things updating.

With Windows, worst case you re-download the updated version and install it.

Mind you, that's for the free software out there (LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.). For the paid-for software (Office, Adobe, etc.) this is correct, apt-get, PPAs and upgrades makes it a helluva lot easier to keep up-to-date!

4. open source. No restrictive licensing. No drm. With Ubuntu and other Linux distro's you are more free than with Windows. If you want to switch to say fedora its not hard try switching all your closed source software to an open one. This can be very difficult because they want to lock you in.

Except when you WANT to access these DRM-laden media you either have to install something that may be legally questionable, avoid using them even if you want them, or run a Windows VM or "emulator".

This also goes for proprietary formats and drivers (Broadcom, Nvidia, etc.) that work better for the OS they are made for, and have to be hacked in order to work on Linux.

5. massive amounts of quality software available for free. If you want to run your own server you can do this for free. And I am not only talking about money. You are not restricted by number of users or devices like with Microsoft or other commercial software vendors. Also on the desktop there are great programs available without all the restrictions.

The other great thing about these programs without restrictions are the number of programs ported to Windows and even Mac! When I can, I try and have my wife use a cross-platform program so she can flip between Windows and Linux with some easy. The programs, at least, are the same (Firefox, Thunderbird, Picasa, etc.). Eventually LibreOffice can replace Office for what SHE needs (doesn't really matter if it works for you, I'm waiting until it works for HER).

I did love working with an LTSP server/client for a while without being restricted on time, users or anything else. I tried it out until I was satisfied without any problems! I love it!

7. No more tweaking. With windows I am constantly defragging the harddrive, looking for ways to optimize performance etc.. If you don't you find your machine running to a crawl. Ubuntu doesn't require me to jump through hoops to keep the system running in good order.

Just look at the screenshot threads and I see a LOT of tweaking going on there! True, it may be fun tweaking, but it is tweaking none-the-less! :popcorn:

pretty_whistle
September 22nd, 2011, 06:36 AM
Why I hate Windows and left it behind, is infections. It seemed on a good month I'd get infected 3 times. What a difference Ubuntu is.

Unless you love infections, that is. :popcorn:

ninjaaron
September 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Except when you WANT to access these DRM-laden media you either have to install something that may be legally questionable, avoid using them even if you want them, or run a Windows VM or "emulator".

It's not legally questionable. It's illegal. It is also perfetly moral to do what you like with your own property, but legality and morality tend to be seperate questions when it comes to software, these days.

viperdvman
September 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'll go ahead and contribute my two cents, especially since I too dual-boot.

I have two computers, a desktop running Windows XP Professional, and a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. I also ave Ubuntu 11.04 installed on both systems in a dual-boot environment on the same hard drive, different partitions.

Honestly, I love playing with Ubuntu a lot (and Linux in general since I play with LiveUSBs of other distros too), so much so that I run it a lot more than I do Windows, on both computers. I won't say that I'll completely ditch Windows in favor of Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro), as I still use Windows for connecting to my XBox, Photoshop (while I'm still learning GIMP), and a number of MMORPG's that I play with friends from out of state, half that don't play well with Wine. So yeah, I still have a use for Windows on both computers, but I use Linux for everything else a lot more. It's very likely that I just jumped into Linux this year and it's like a shiny new toy that I just can't get enough of, I don't know what. Can't be since I've been using Ubuntu all year.

I like how I've customized my Ubuntu desktop and netbook to look and act like Mac OS X... at least until service for 11.04 ends in Apr 2012 and 10.04 ends in Oct 2012. I like how I can do almost everything on Linux that I can with Windows. Most of all, I like how I can just get a hold of over 50GB worth of Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, openSUSE, etc.) to play around with, and upgrade my Ubuntu, all without having to pay a single cent (I do donate to Ubuntu). The same goes for like 95% of the apps that run on said Linux distros. I don't think I can explain all my reasons, but I love running Linux. I won't be saying goodbye to Windows, but Windows has effectively taken a back seat and is there for those few things that I need it for.

Desktop_n00b
September 29th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I like the feel and freeness of ubuntu, but I do not like how bloody hard it is to get my games to run in it, so I run win7 with ubuntu in a virtual machine

th00ht
October 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I will never choose ubuntu over windows. There is no benefit. Ubuntu is just as bloated, untransparant confusing and awkward to use as windows. There are better and smaller GNULinux distros around that are more likely to compete. But as a slimeasy to use competitor to windows ubuntu has failed. Better go the win7 way

th00ht
October 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I will never choose ubuntu over windows. There is no benefit. Ubuntu is just as bloated, untransparant confusing and awkward to use as windows. There are better and smaller GNULinux distros around that are more likely to compete. But as a slimeasy to use competitor to windows ubuntu has failed. Better go the win7 way

Mikeb85
October 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
I need basic functionality (internet, basic word processing, webcam, printing, etc...) and got sick of the viruses, slowness, and general BS that comes with Windows (such as my perfectly legal copy of Vista not working anymore because there's a problem with CD-key authentication). Ubuntu is much quicker than Windows, more stable, easier to use, the only downside is lack of quality games (although Oil Rush is a new favourite of mine - very nice visuals and lots of fun).

I'm not idealistic, I'm a pragmatic user and I find for everything I need to do Ubuntu just works better.

galacticaboy
October 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Ubuntu is free, Windows is not. Good enough for me.

Pynalysis
October 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Ubuntu is faster, more reliable, and an all around more productive OS IMO.

critin
October 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Because Windows is rented but can never be owned. I can make only one restore disk on my HP, and if that's messed up it's too bad. Finding help from Microsoft isn't worth the cost, and finding answers to how to fix it yourself isn't freely available.

When I make a copy of Ubuntu or any linux dist--it's mine. I own it. I can change it, uninstall it, reinstall it, make as many copies as I want and it's still mine. I don't have to prove ownership and am not assumed a thief until the Legal Windows Authenticator is run as often as necessary. And this is a biggie--I can use it on any computer I choose, not just the first one!

It's a lot more interesting to run and is never boring. I can do whatever I want to do on it. I'm not a gamer so don't care about whether it runs games or not. I use the same programs I used on Windows, and am finding alternates when necessary.

The main reason I prefer Ubuntu is I like it. The second reason is that complete ownership of the os belongs to me. I would never buy a windows disk.

fuern
October 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I think reasons for using Ubuntu (or Linux of any kind) over Windows vary from person to person, but for me it was the ability to do whatever you want with your system. I love to tinker and make things the best that I can (or best for me that I can) and Ubuntu offers so many opportunities to customize the system and make it your own. I pretty much used Windows in the past because that is what I knew how to use and I didn't own a Mac. I love my Ubuntu system so much and literally only dual boot into Windows to play computer games. Game-wise Ubuntu is not there yet but in every other way I find it easier and more intelligent for any task I need to complete.

barthus
October 6th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Folks,

these questions "Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows" are extremely boring.

The more interesting question is: Why don't you use a MAC?

My answer is: Linux is at least as good as Mac. Even more: I must not participate at this Mac hype and more importantly, I feel by far much more FREE!

Mikeb85
October 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Folks,

My answer is: Linux is at least as good as Mac. Even more: I must not participate at this Mac hype and more importantly, I feel by far much more FREE!

Not to mention Apple charges much more than any other company for comparable hardware.

dave2001
October 7th, 2011, 12:04 AM
mac... yuck.

peyre
October 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Folks,

Judging by the number of responses, I think most users might disagree.

Shh! Not so loud--my wife might see this. We don't need that kind of extra expense.

wackawacka
October 7th, 2011, 05:29 AM

it's free. you don't have to buy anything. you don't have to worry about big brother for that copied copy of windows. xp runs smoother in linux and loads in 3 seconds.

Pynalysis
October 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Performance.

dave2001
October 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
about Apple Computers:

Shh! Not so loud--my wife might see this. We don't need that kind of extra expense.

That gave me a good laugh for the day! Thanks Peyre.

Cheers for FREE OS's like Ubuntu and all the FREE software you can cram onto your hard drive! I don't even want to think what I would have spent buying all the windows or mac versions of the linux software i have.

th00ht
October 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Who said I did?

freshminted
October 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I have Windows 7 on my new laptop but retained Kubuntu on my desktop. My desktop is some 8 years old and still boots faster, loads cleaner and runs smoother than the top of the range laptop!http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon11.gif
Why not Linux on the laptop? I teach the older generation how to use computers and so use what they are most likely to have. However, increasingly I am being asked to help sort out problems on their machines at which point I run Puppy or Ophcrack (to recover passwords) to find the problems.
When they see them run, they want! After all, why would they want to spend their pensions paying rich companies for software that isn't as good? Ubuntu 11.04 is very much a favourite.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

love2learn
October 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I am a dual booter. I see benefits of both OS's but here is some of what I enjoy about Ubuntu/linux:

Its free! I dont mean the monetary value of it because then it would be priceless but I mean the freedom of the bonds of licensing. The amazing feeling you get when you download a piece of software and have NO guilt WHATSOEVER. I know there will be some that say they dont feel guilty for pirating software for their windows machines but there is a guilt there no matter how small. You can try to justify it all you want but without breaking the licensing agreement, you couldnt do squat on a windows machine without paying for it.

Live cd boot on every cd. I know you can make windows boot a live cd with a massive amount of tweaking and then burning your special copy, but when I am in a bind and need a live boot to fix something I can reach for any ubuntu copy (or most other distros since knoppix came out) and fix most if not all my problems.

very fast. Even if you put windows on the very lowest graphics and customized it to be the fastest you can. On equal hardware, ubuntu/linux can be faster (many times just an out of the box install of ubuntu will be faster than a tweaked windows machine)

very very configurable, again Windows has gone to great lengths to hide what they do. More power to them to do that but that is less power to you! You can not go into the code and look and see if your windows is doing the best it can do. There could be bloated code in there since windows 3.1 and you would never know. Ubuntu is constantly scrutinized in the public eye because anyone can look and see what is under the hood. I believe that kind of scrutiny makes ubuntu even stronger.

Ubuntu can read anything with a tweak, Windows can't even understand ext3/4. Ubuntu/linux can understand fat 16/32/ntfs.(even when windows programmers are instructed to block linux performance) For you windows lovers your probably saying this is due to neccesity and you are right. But that is one more example of what windows cant do compared to Ubuntu.

For a good read, how bout this website for you linux lovers or windows curious people:
http://en.windows7sins.org/

Microsoft is so political now, it is keeping windows users from copying tv shows that are LEGAL to copy!! You actually have to break the law (download what microsoft thinks is illegal software) to copy something that is NOT ILLEGAL for you to copy in the first place.

Now, for you game lovers.... Microsoft admittidly has a hold on the gaming market for now. There are break-throughs happening yearly though and more and more games are being written for linux natively now.

The only reason to use Windows in my mind now is to play the latest and greatest games or to use a very proprietary software that you have that hasnt been ported over to ubuntu yet. Which means you pay a very very heavy price for those luxuries.

I have one question for the windows lovers in this thread. Have you even read the licensing agreements that you are signing? I have, and some of that is very scary

Here is concern about banks and how they no longer can use microsoft because there licensing agreements are too strict:
http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/1485861/Is+Microsoft+Licensing+Forcing+Banks+to+Break+The+ Law.htm

Solely for the purpose of preventing unlicensed use of the applicable OS Software, the OS Components will include installation on your computer of technological measures that are designed to prevent unlicensed use, and Microsoft may use this technology to confirm that you have a licensed copy of the OS Software.

Here is a lady that makes a living off of helping people understand the licensing of Microsoft:

http://ladylicensing.wordpress.com/

And for you windows savy people, here is a test to see how much you actually know about the agreement you signed:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/quiz-how-much-do-you-know-about-microsoft-licensing/90

That is enough for my rant-o-the-day. Good luck to all and remember, I dual boot too!

choochoousmc
October 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I guess the number one reason would be free!
second the software center. everything I could possibly need is right there, don't have
to search the entire web to find something for windows, which then most likely won't be free. Except I have not yet found a home attorney program.

Nothing against Bill Gates earning Billions of $$ off Windows, just don't like his ways and means.
A program as complicated as Windows should get a lot more free support for the average home user, From a technician that actually knows the System (via phone).
With the newest version of Ubuntu 11.04, All of my hardware is working as it should.
Except for a rare instance, whatever housekeeping I want to do in Linux I can do, without the annoying "You need administrator priviledges to perform the selected tasks", like I get in windows-vista & Win 7.

peyre
October 18th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I guess the number one reason would be free!
second the software center. everything I could possibly need is right there, don't have
to search the entire web to find something for windows, which then most likely won't be free. Except I have not yet found a home attorney program.

Nothing against Bill Gates earning Billions of $$ off Windows, just don't like his ways and means.
A program as complicated as Windows should get a lot more free support for the average home user, From a technician that actually knows the System (via phone).
With the newest version of Ubuntu 11.04, All of my hardware is working as it should.
Except for a rare instance, whatever housekeeping I want to do in Linux I can do, without the annoying "You need administrator priviledges to perform the selected tasks", like I get in windows-vista & Win 7.

Wait, don't you get that in Ubuntu too? The difference is you type in your password instead of click OK. But I feel much more professional typing in a password--also more secure, since...the OK click MUST BE easy for a malicious program to spoof.

sir1cave
October 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Tired of all the "UPDATES" to the OS I paid $$$ for just so some young ticked off kid can crack his / her way in & steal my portable data.

peyre
October 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Tired of all the "UPDATES" to the OS I paid $$$ for just so some young ticked off kid can crack his / her way in & steal my portable data.

You know, Ubuntu has bucketloads of updates as well, but I don't consider that a bad thing.

oldsoundguy
October 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Actually, the Windows updates keep the OS alive. It is all of the 3rd party updates .. some auto, some you have to SEARCH for .. that are the real PITA. Having to go through the install hoops on each and every update from a dozen different places takes way too much time and effort and then having to re-boot after almost all of them so the .reg file can be re-written. A TOTAL waste of time and energy.

Linux updates in one fell swoop .. including everything you have installed from the repositories and, unless there is a kernel update, you do NOT have to re-boot.

Tinker Tantrum
October 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xpThe only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

From a programmers perspective, Ubuntu/Linux is better because it allows one to look at the source code of software they download and change it if necessary. Microsoft does not allow you to change anything in their proprietary software. It comes as is AND YOU MUST LIKE IT THAT WAY! I still use Windows for gaming and music (I'm stuck with a Zune for now), but nothing else.

slickvguy
October 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
When all is said and done, while there are many pros and cons to each, there is one reason I switched to Ubuntu years ago and can't even remember the last time I booted Win7 (especially since virtualbox works so well anytime I need to use a win app).

That ONE reason still is: no anti-virus software required! No AVG Free w/ updates every day, slowing down the machine, interfering with file and/or site accesses. No spybot S&D. No MS malware detection. On and on the list goes. I just don't worry with Ubuntu, Firefox, and NoScript. Nothing gets downloaded or executed w/o allowing it to. The virus-infected e-mails that I receive now and then are harmless. I know they won't execute on my machine. And since the thing I do most is surf the web, I can do so with no worries whatsoever. That's the big difference. Sure, I still backup (in case of h/w failure).

A few other comments...

When you use a Win o/s, you feel like the o/s is using you instead of the other way around. You are a slave to the endless updating of not just the o/s but multiple components and programs. I have a HTPC (Revo) that the kids use Win7 on. Every time I boot that machine, it irritates me for oen reason or another. It wont' just let me do what I want. First, it has to do a whole bunch of things, or notifies/nags me. Yeesh.

XP is still my favourite win client o/s. Win7, while pretty, is such a royal PITA - endless updates and tasks far more complicated than they need be. It forces you to focus on WHERE such-and-such feature is rather than WHAT you want to do. Remarkable that in this day and age, I still sometimes have problems getting my kids' win7 laptops to recognize (or be recognized) on the network. No such problems w/ samba.

The updates, while increasing in frequency and size in more recent Ubuntu releases, run smoothly and fast. Streamlined. One click, enter password, forget about it.

Not sure if I'll use Ubuntu in the future - I've used other distros before and will probably again.

Biggest negative: Evolution versus Outlook. Outlook wins hands down. Evolution has many good features, but the look and feel - especially the calendar - just isn't what it could and should be. I could run Outlook in virtualbox, but I don't bother. (I do use Excel in vbox though).

bobski60
October 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
The only thing I am unhappy about is installing a Palm Treo WinOS connection, there seems to be NO programme to link the 2...
Apart from that I will never go back to Windows (I am ripping you off, and probably pay virus designers to kill your system type programme) system...
Does that sound like a complaint lol :popcorn:

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Because I can SSH into my work's website, see everything as a folder, open the PHP files in gEdit and save the changes and even copy and paste the files into a local location if I choose.

In Windows, I'm still learning what I can do connected through PuTTY and it definitely is not as easy to do things as it is with Linux.

westcoast01
October 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM

You do not have "Billy" on your machine is the biggest advantage of using linux. Until the people who make linux products figure out a good way to help noobs with installation and other problems sadly linux will not become popular with the masses. Also as you mentioned, you can not play most games with linux products.