PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

koenn
March 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I chose Linux over Windows

Zipster90
March 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I switched to Ubuntu because I can get a up-to-date speed demon of an OS for absolutely free. I purchased my laptop about a year ago with Windows Vista. If the laptop was just sitting and doing nothing, it would still use half of my 2 gigs of memory. Now that I'm using Linux, I can run Firefox, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, Compiz, and many other programs and only use about 400 MB. I feel that I've gotten more bang out of my computer buck by using Linux, and I'll probably never switch back to Windows.

BigSilly
March 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I chose to make the switch completely because I have had far less bother using Linux compared to using Windows. It's a different way of thinking, but once you make the move it becomes easier all the time. Plus the fact that its more secure on the net is another bonus. I don't know how anyone who takes their PC security seriously can honestly rely on a Windows OS. And further still, it's completely free.

OZFive
March 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Well my old iMac died and faced with using old windows machines ( a personal hell ) or trying somethin new, I decided to give Ubuntu a go. Now I have a brand spanking new laptp and have instaled Ubuntu on it.

HousieMousie2
March 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I have XP. I have Linux. I spend most of my time in Linux, only booting into XP when I have to.

There are some things that just don't seem to have a suitable work around... particularly if you are new to Linux, like I am.

I run XP very lean, no extra Services, no unwanted programs, and nothing that starts in the background that I didn't decide I wanted (for whatever good/bad reason that may be.) Even so, without any speed/lean tweaking, Linux is faster. Loads faster, works faster, shuts down faster... and when it comes to updating programs... it is OMG Smack Someone FASTER!

Yeah, okay... I have to do a lot more hunting to find out why something isn't working.
There are some webbing things that I want Windows for, because they are based on proprietary software, and sometimes running Wine is just too slow.
I have a scanner/printer/copier I can't use in Linux... dual boot time.
I have a $500.00 pen tablet who's accompanying software I use regularly. That software isn't available in Linux and the set-up for the device is beyond me... dual boot time. ((I am talking about the behavior controls that came with my tablet.))

For an artist, those are two VERY large short comings, but I still choose Linux over XP.

I don't have pop-ups from Windows 'freeware' yelling at me to buy something, or update something. I don't have a firewall warning me about this program, or some other such nonsense. I don't have an anti-virus program bugging me over file definitions. I don't have an anti-spyware program clamoring for attention with each new web site I visit. And I certainly don't have the above programs stealing my speed. Pretty sure my CPU and RAM doesn't get nostalgic for those programs a single bit... I know I don't.

When some Linux program bites the dust, it doesn't take the whole machine with it... I terminate the program, the OS is just fine.

I understand that there is a learning curve involved. Just because I can drive certain types of motor vehicles doesn't mean I know how to drive all types. So I came into Linux expecting to have to learn.

I still have 'issues' with Linux, but by comparison, my computing life is FAR more hassle-free than it is every time I boot into XP.

That is MY answer to the thread topic question... speed of updates, speed of operation, security, and stability. Oh yeah and one more thing... OEM OS's can take a flying leap, Baby!:lolflag:

TorqueyPete
March 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Yay! Go HousieMousie2 !

:)

HousieMousie2
March 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yay! Go HousieMousie2 !

Thank you, thank you, thank you **bowing.**

Funny, since I posted that, I have thought of other reasons why I choose Linux... but I suppose that I covered the big ones. lol

Foxray
March 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I dual boot XP and linux, and the only thing I use XP for is gaming. If I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 or Unreal Tournament 3 I'd go to windows because wine just won't play those at the speed i want them to. Everything else like media everyday surfing and word processing I'd use linux.

pbpersson
March 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I have a Windows XP machine here but it is old and slow and the C: drive is full so I cannot install any new software - although all the software is installed on the D: drive. The C: drive is filled with the OS, DLLs, and the registry.

I was going to move XP to a new machine I had built - but the size of the project was going to be just daunting. I needed an entire stack of CDs with license keys......and did I even know where those CDs were? Then from what I read, I would need to call Microsoft on the phone, explain to them why I am moving Windows to a new machine and beg them to please activate me.

I already had a Windows 2000 machine I was using as my main system and on that machine I installed ALL open source stuff so I just converted that OS to Linux, then installed Linux on two newer machines and I have not looked back.

It is just much easier to get stuff accomplished in my opinion.

Windows XP came out in 2001 and is sooooo behind the times it is sad.

Once I learn Java I will be able to write any software I miss from Windows and maybe I will never need to use it again. :)

AgentZ86
March 12th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I don't. The software is too amateurish if it as all available, and the lack of support of monitor and colour profiles there is not much to do for me in Linux.

I have been trying it out for 3 years now on a small partition, and my needs are simply too professional for it. I had to reinstall it 4 times during these 3 years, did not have to do it with XP... AND if I would ever need Linux software it is available for Windows anyway.

I've had the same problem with Windows all the way back since win 3.1 and thats exactly why I switched to linux is because windows was just too unprofessional for me, lack of support, you think you get support from MS on windows, get real.

community support seems to be the way to go these days anyhow with real experience and trials behind problems.

too bad you can't use linux or perhaps you have hardware thats not compatible as I've mentioned earlier in this post which makes linux or any OS a real pain for that matter.

There should be no reason to reinstall linux 4 times etc.

All we use in our business is linux machines, and no problems here.

I hope your enjoying your viruses, and virus protection software, well good luck.

Why are you in a linux forum if your not using linux anyhow LOL
:guitar:

GreigKM
March 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
My reason: On night a magical penguin told me about Ubuntu in a dream, he the proceeded to wipe my hard drive and scratch up my Windows XP recovery disk. I was then forced to use Ubuntu for almost a year until I got a new computer with Vista on it. After using that for a while I got fed up and installed XP and Ubuntu (It grows on you). Now I only use XP to play video games, although as soon as I get the Xbox 360 vga hookup I wont need XP anymore! Then I will be 100% awesome.

Tobi-fp
March 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hey there lad..
Well i prefer linux because it runs flawlessly, It seems that if you use windows xp and you use 256 mbs of ram at first, the computer may bootup so slowly, then if you upgrade to 1 gb of ram then after some time, xp just start sucking again..

Nomatter what, Ubuntu just stays as stable.
And well, a computer os should run faster and more stable when the next version comes on the market. Windows just keeps wanting more..

I only dual boot because i have to use Mathcad and poblisher at scool..

petercoh7
March 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Probably mentioned before - one big advantage of using Linux over Windows XP is that Linux is FREE !! IMO - the "cool" factor of ubuntu is just waaaay higher than Windows XP.

:cool:

BigSilly
March 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I pretty much gave up gaming on the PC in order to make the switch to Linux completely. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but I realised that I actually spent most of my time on emulators anyway, so there was no real reason to keep XP around anymore, especially as the Linux emus are mostly as good as their XP counterparts. The only other games I spent any kind of time on were GTA Vice City, and Pro Evolution Soccer, which seem to be getting some attention in WINE these days.

In the end the benefits of having a totally Linux PC far outweighed the addiction to a few games for me. I still hold on to my copies of Vice City and PES 6 just in case the support improves in WINE though... :)

JimJamJamie
March 12th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Free - no crappy liscensing to worry about.

Fast! My '96 ThinkPad is USEABLE now with Xubuntu

Fancy! Looks nice!

I'm very impressed with Xubuntu. Given this lappie a new lease of life.

233Mhz PII
64 MB RAM
6GB HDD

muximus
March 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
wow!! this is a long thread..
the main reason i prefer linux ovr windows( xp.. vista sucks so bad tht u dont even need to compare) is that it is free,legal, completely customizable and also does all the things windows can, even better in many cases, and it is easier to find software to accomplish a certain task in linux than it is in windows( at least the debian based ones)

AgentZ86
March 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM
And oh did I mention (BECAUSE I CAN) :lolflag:

But actually I don't use windows xp anymore so I'm sort of excluded from this thread now I guess. ??

Anyhow happy posting

Eniak
March 16th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have triple booting here and the system I most use is linux... internet, gaming (star wars kotor here runs better on linux then windows), etc

OS X I use to work with my music, 3D and video projects (and I'm thinking about migrating from the OS X Maya to the Linux Maya, cuz I'm an ati user and apple made me the great favor of underclocking it under OS X.. and in windows)

Windows, well... I use it when I want to play something that doesn't run fine with wine and when I want to droll at milkdrop....for a short time cuz soon I'll try to install milkdrop in ubuntu :)

Windows is not a bad system, the problem of it for me is that it takes over your computer, it's intolerant about other OSs and partition formats, it's paid, and any kind of customization or security or anything else is paid... in other words I think it sucks, but sometimes yet needed :)

sosipator
March 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
windows functional?

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

look just because your experience was bad doesnt mean linux is inferior, maybe you should try another linux flavor?

Actually, windows is very functional OS. I still have it on my computer as a second OS and I will never get rid of it simply because sometimes I need Adobe Photoshop, Autocad, or ABBY Fine Reader. Linux alternative for those are lame. Microsoft office is still far better than Open Office. And I have never paid one single cent for all this expensive software, so to me, microsoft too is kind a free. I chose Ubuntu not because the philosophy behind it, but because I wanted to try something different than microsoft, and I liked it. In the beginning I had a hard time customizing it, but it was worth it. Now i enjoy Ubuntu, but I have nothing against MS.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I hate the trials and the purchase me pop-ups. It strikes me the wrong way to have to go through any of that. Also when Windows tells me my action has been denied when I try to do something like close a process it makes me wanna break the thing. Regardless if my action is unsafe or not I would like it under my control.

I have everything against Micro Soft.

Dr Bones
March 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I chose it because I wanted to try something that was different and wasn't about to buy a mac. I stayed and continued using it for the following reasons

because the way in which it works differently than windows interests me (yes I am truly dorky like that)
The seemingly endless amount of new cool things to find and play with
no need for a virus scanner
or to defrag the hard drive
or run a firewall
being able to update all of my installed programs by running 2 commands in the terminal

O3.
March 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Peace of mind.

Istonian
March 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I use Ubuntu for the philosophy and for the fact that I belive it to be a better OS than Windows. Sure you can't run many closed source apps, but that is part of the philosophy thing anyway.

JohnLM_the_Ghost
March 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well there isn't many reasons I would use Linux over Windows... (And I don't exactly)

I do dual-boot while still using Windows for most part.

However there is a few but strong reasons I use Linux:

I actually like the concept of Ubuntu and/or Open-source philosophies
I kind of hate Microsoft. LOL (This might not be real reason)
I always like to learn something new.
Linux is very useful when you need to "rescue" data of broken PC. (with use of LiveCD)
There's a lot of tasks I prefer to do with Linux, like video compression - linux utilities (AviDeMux, mkvtoolnix) really beat Windows ones.
Possibilites of Customization
Improved Security

Of course one could argue against any of these reasons. So I remind these are (almost) entirely subjective, for I don't want anyone hassle me trying to convince me otherwise.

P.S. This Thread is as big as . Dunno If anyone reads this!

jeffus_il
March 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
There. I read your post!
Do you know that these posts sometimes pop up on a Google search (or other search engine), so anyone could stumble across your post and read it.

perixx
March 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I've read an article at the 'Phoronix' form latey - they performed gaming tests on Vista and Linux with the latest ATI drivers (on a 3870?):

Linux outperformed Vista...

I don't know if all of the extended features of the graphics driver was switched-on, but the resolution was 1280x1024, that I remember.

perixx

LifeSign
March 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I use Ubuntu simply because I enjoy programming and hacking. No, not the cyberpunk hacking, and not cracking. Windows XP is just too restricting and vulnerable for me...Visual Basic is a joke outside of windows.

michaelrsa
March 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have to say I don't. There are some things I like about Ubuntu and some things I like about Windows. I do enjoy Ubuntu's excellent Open Office and I like Windows for playing games. Its all a matter of what you need in an OS.

Pijits_1
March 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
For one thing theres no viruses. Also I used a mac for quite a long time so transitioning into a Unix environment was easy (i used terminal quite a bit) and you can do so much more i.e. modify theme settings and make good eye candy.

Its like giving a man wings who has walked all his life, its a relief.

Twitch6000
March 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I find how you posted this topic funny.Windows being better don't make me laugh ok.
Windows is like being married(no offense to anyone married here),you are limited to what you can do,if you do something wrong bad things happen(BSOD,malware,crashes,etc).
Linux on the other hand is like sex.If you don't like it one way you can have it another.Or like ice cream there are so many flavors you can stick to one mix them together even add things to it :).
My main point is you are not limited and just cause ubuntu did not work out for you,you always have other distros that can.I would suggest PClinuxOS2007 ;).

Sky Shark
March 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I used/will use Ubuntu agian(waiting for a Dell XPS 1730 with 2x 200GB hard drive due to the small hard drive on my current Inspiron 6000) mainly because its something diffrent and fun to use. Also the affects you can do with it, you can easily customize it and it can give you a sense of being closer to the machine when you install stuff through terminal and use terminal commands. I know windows has DOS shell but its diffrent to me. Also there's just something about Ubuntu in the way you can look for new programs and stuff that make it something that I like to use on occation or when I'm board.

JohnLM_the_Ghost
March 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I've read an article at the 'Phoronix' form latey - they performed gaming tests on Vista and Linux with the latest ATI drivers (on a 3870?):

I don't know if all of the extended features of the graphics driver was switched-on, but the resolution was 1280x1024, that I remember.

perixx
In fact I read that too! Sooner or later Linux is going to kick MS's *** :lol:

kathrync
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I have been using Linux for about 2 months so here's my take on it:

I moved to Linux because I am running an ancient laptop that I can't afford to replace. It had slowed to the point of ridiculousness under XP. Like it would struggle to run two Word documents at the same. Two Firefox tabs were a recipe for disaster and image manipulation was a complete no-no. I had heard that Linux was more stable and less memory hungry so I tried it.

Why do I stick with it? One of the first things I did when I had installed Linux was to plug in my external hard drive to check it worked. I accidentally opened an entire folder containing 36 photos with GIMP. And they opened. Quickly. And the computer barely even slowed down. In the name of experimentation I played a bit and it wasn't until I tried applying an unsharp mask to all 36 photos simultaneously that I got any noticeable slow down but even then it was usable and didn't crash. Was I impressed? You bet!

I like the fact that my computer hasn't crashed once since I installed Ubuntu. I like the fact it is so customisable...you can choose from 3 desktop environments for heaven's sake, let alone media players, IMs etc of which there are infinite varieties. I like the fact that if you don't like what you have installed you can have it off quickly and cleanly and have it replaced with something else in 5 minutes....no faffing around trying to delete wayward files from the registry! I like the fact that my housemate and I both run Gutsy and yet our machines are completely different animals, not windows clones. I like the fact that I can use the video feature on Skype without it slowing my computer down so much that I can't hear the sound. I like the fact that you can do as much or as little with it as you like. If you want to play the code is there and it is easy to access and plenty of help is available. If you don't, there is very little you can't do using the already available applications. I like the fact that when I do have a problem the help available is more useful than some spotty teenager on the end of the phone asking me if I have tried rebooting.

Don't get me wrong....I don't hate Windows. I have used it for the last 10 years and been happy enough with it. And I still use it at work as it supports some of the applications I use there that aren't supported in Linux. But will I go back to Windows for personal use once I have replaced my machine? No.

nichpakaich
March 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
whoa, I never thought that Linux would satisfy so many people with so many different reasons.

I have dual-boot; KUbuntu 7.10 and *of course* Windows XP. The reason that I keep my windows is simply because I'm getting prepare in case other need to use my laptop (since not many people around here quite familiar with Linux).

redcrayon
March 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I am totally satisfied with linux...

i only have 3 applications left that i use in windows - Photoshop cs3, photoshop lightroom and the Zune software for the Zune i regret buying :P

Oneday adobe will realise that people want to use photoshop in linux and that will be the day i completely uninstall windows!

Peace.

heartburnkid
March 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I'll tell you what did it for me: the approaching End-Of-Life for Windows XP coupled with witnessing thousands of Vista users getting locked out of their systems for a weekend due to an issue with Windows "Genuine Advantage" (in quotes because it's neither). I already disliked Vista on general principle (it's slow, buggy, bloated, and has DRM at the kernel level), but seeing that just reinforced in my mind that I'd never use Vista as a day-to-day system. I decided it's better to take the leap now and start learning how to use Linux, and I am really enjoying it. It takes a little work to whip into shape sometimes, but hey, so did Windows (disabling services, installing TweakUI, installing a good antivirus, antispyware and firewall and keeping them all up-to-date...), and I'm confident I'll get the hang of it. I always do.

-gabe-noob-
March 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I got this thing and it was blue and it said

WARNING YOUR COMPUTER HAS ENCOUNTERED A FATAL EXCEPTION

while typing an IM...

geuss what OS I was using

hint: It wasnt Ubuntu

sooo I'd hardly call that functionality

wolfen69
March 19th, 2008, 04:36 AM
So I wanna see why other people choose this OS over the functional OS that is Windows.
yeah, it has a function. to keep money in my wallet. (i fix pc's) other than that, and a couple games, it has no function for me.

wolfen69
March 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I got this thing and it was blue and it said

WARNING YOUR COMPUTER HAS ENCOUNTERED A FATAL EXCEPTION

while typing an IM...

geuss what OS I was using

hint: It wasnt Ubuntu

sooo I'd hardly call that functionality

good one.

wolfen69
March 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I'll tell you what did it for me: the approaching End-Of-Life for Windows XP coupled with witnessing thousands of Vista users getting locked out of their systems for a weekend due to an issue with Windows "Genuine Advantage" (in quotes because it's neither). I already disliked Vista on general principle (it's slow, buggy, bloated, and has DRM at the kernel level), but seeing that just reinforced in my mind that I'd never use Vista as a day-to-day system. I decided it's better to take the leap now and start learning how to use Linux, and I am really enjoying it. It takes a little work to whip into shape sometimes, but hey, so did Windows (disabling services, installing TweakUI, installing a good antivirus, antispyware and firewall and keeping them all up-to-date...), and I'm confident I'll get the hang of it. I always do.

that's the spirit! good attitude to have. :guitar:

superarmy
March 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I chose Ubuntu after Windows XP corrupted my entire external hard drive for the 2nd time, I read that Ubuntu was the best OS around so I thought I would try it, haven't looked back since.

steve.t
March 19th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Retire, miscreants, to your muddy billabongs and forget even passive attempts to educate windozian zombies: how can those of easy virtue, who simply stroll into a store and "buy" programs off the rack, compare to us?
Unquote.

This is exactly the type of eletist crap that turns people off Linux and its fanatical worshipers. It cheeses me off to see this at a time when I'm trying my hardest to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. Not all in the Ubuntu community are as friendly and helpful as they would like to think. Bricks to you, fella. Roses to all those on the forum who are genuine and not judgemental. Choice is the word.

money2themax
March 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Retire, miscreants, to your muddy billabongs and forget even passive attempts to educate windozian zombies: how can those of easy virtue, who simply stroll into a store and "buy" programs off the rack, compare to us?
Unquote.

This is exactly the type of eletist crap that turns people off Linux and its fanatical worshipers. It cheeses me off to see this at a time when I'm trying my hardest to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. Not all in the Ubuntu community are as friendly and helpful as they would like to think. Bricks to you, fella. Roses to all those on the forum who are genuine and not judgemental. Choice is the word.
well take it as you like all i can say is that unless you are willing to learn and grow your gonna get lost and that true with any OS with the exception of windows

steve.t
March 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
well take it as you like all i can say is that unless you are willing to learn and grow your gonna get lost and that true with any OS with the exception of windows

Good comeback! Appreciate your support [NOT]. Incidentally, I am willing to learn, and am doing quite OK, thanks. You, however, should avoid trying to help people out at all costs. There's the question of the community's credibility to consider.

Here's another one;
Quote:
If you find GNOME too difficult, there's something wrong with you.
Unquote.

What's wrong with you guys?

money2themax
March 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Good comeback! Appreciate your support [NOT]. Incidentally, I am willing to learn, and am doing quite OK, thanks. You, however, should avoid trying to help people out at all costs. There's the question of the community's credibility to consider.

Here's another one;
Quote:
If you find GNOME too difficult, there's something wrong with you.
Unquote.

What's wrong with you guys?
i try but please continue to stick with ubuntu or if not ubuntu linux but don't go back to M$

technotika
March 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I've read this post a couple of times now (yes my job is pretty slow right now) and want to add something.

During my Ubuntu learning stage (not hardcore, just wanting to do on Linux what I do on Windows) I just had to ask questions, here in the forum. During my ubuntu learning stage I also tried other distro's to try and "get over or round" issues I and had to ask question in other forums.

Let me explain what kept me loyal to ubuntu.

I think it was debian I tried. This was because somehow my ubuntu was freezing and locking up and I read around that debian was the ultimate in stability so decided to leave ubuntu for a bit and see how I got on there. Straight away I got stuck and turned to the forums and found that seemed to be some elitist attitudes knocking about amongst people's attitudes to the 2 distro's. Ubuntu seemed to get bit of a bashing for being too much like "windoze" now and all that cr@p. Debian is the best Ubuntu is for noobs. Thats the vibe coming across from my experience there.

SO what happens. I felt like I shouldnt be there and thought You know what I am not gonna get nowhere with out a community to bounce my queries off etc. And that Ladies & Genst is what made me stay with ubuntu. The Community. A friendly place that is the for the most part welcoming, helpful and not elitist about making the switch.
Both computers running Ubuntu at home and I cant see that changing. Well I did load GNOME PCLINUX 2007 live and was blown away by its ease of use. Also I just discovered to day ULTIMATE UBUNUTU - google that if you dont know about it, I am definitley going to try that soon.

I remember once a kid at school stopped liking a band because they became too popular "every body likes them now I dont want to".
No sign of him in the debian forum!!!

Living2007
March 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM
You can use WINE in ubuntu to play your games or use the windows based programs

Kulgan
March 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
For some programs, yes. For games... no...

Transcribe! and glGo run better when emulated in wine than the linux versions do normally. But I don't think any game better than pong v0.01 or something will work properly under wine. (Not that I've tried.)

But you can always make a open source version of the program if you know how :D

rspk3
March 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
1. Virtual desktops
2. Easier to use, logical error messages
3. No need to worry about malware
4. Better software and free of charge
5. Much more customizeability
6. Much less bloatware
7. Just gets better and better unlike Windows

No way I would go back to Windows :)

Eddie Wilson
March 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Windows is made to break. I've been using and working on computers longer than most of these people have been alive. I've seen it all it seems. I've have never seen an os more prone to breakdowns then MS Windows. Thats the way its always been. Thats like going out and buying a new car with a 200 mile warranty. Its not going to do well. I can't complain tho because MS has made me a lot of money by having to repair broken Windows systems. I've had all the MS Windows versions, except Vista, and I don't need it or want it at all. I change hardware a lot and test new components for computers. Its my hobby now. I get sick and tired of having to call MS because I've reinstalled XP more than 4 times in one year.That is useless and that is a stupid thing to have to go through. I haven't called them now for a while because I've been using Ubuntu to do all my testing and you just can't trust the results you get anymore from Windows. Just because I own the MS products doesn't mean that they are any good.The only one that was close was 2000. No wonder MS is so afraid ofa little competition. That's why I use Linux and Bsd.

Eddie

SomeGuyDude
March 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
If you've ever lost your XP CD and had a hard drive failure, you'll understand why I use Linux.

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Starcraft runs excellent in wine, and faster. There is no delay in the menus like on Windows. When 1.0 comes out hopefully they fixed the issue with the music on Morrowind. Then linux is invincible.

notwen
March 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Just because I own the MS products doesn't mean that they are any good.

Eddie

Correction, you're leasing them. =p

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
=/ That burned when I first learned I do not even own the crap.

perixx
March 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perixx View Post

perixx
In fact I read that too! Sooner or later Linux is going to kick MS's ***

Hope so ;) But it's not there yet. I've been gaming UT2004 on Linux for a while now (imagine, I didn't even play it before on XP!)... But I was on the losing end all the time!
I cursed my hardware, graphics card, TFT and whatnot...
THEN I installed it on XP finally - guess what: I'm on the winning side more often than not ever since then! The fluidness and flash-like graphics responsitivity is unmatched - at least double the quality (read: all features enabled, big resolution!) and speed than in Ubuntu...

I guess you can understand now, that I'm using XP more again, now (but aren't you too?)...

Gonna try out a friend's 8800 GT to have a reliable result, soon (although I've already tasted the horrors of changing GC vendor on the SAME Ubuntu system..!).

BUT: I was working for about 3 Weeks on a registry patch collection (maybe even more) to sort out all the major and minor security, nagging and spying issues of Windows - too FEEL about like being as safe as with Ubuntu (I know, I'm not). Also, there was a firewall, antivirus proggy and lots of other dreadful stuff to install, before I could really call it a day and finally make a clone-backup. Before doing so, I had to defragment the horribly scattered data of the (fresh) install several times and artificially strip down the systems size (current image size: 3,3GB :))... and, and, and...

Btw., I'm using XP pro, whose security architecture gives a lot more control ( and needs a lot more attention) than the 'home' version does.

perixx

earlra
March 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Where to begin! I just had to pay $60 to renew my Norton Internet Security subscription to be able to safely run XP. In linux I use GuardDog and ClamAV for free, and have a much more secure system.

In XP I have error messages on startup and shutdown that I can not eliminate. I won't go so far as to say Linux is error free, but there are fewer, and when I have had problems, I have always found a solution online.

I like being able to choose what/how to run things in Linux. I hated downloading misleading 'free' trial versions in the Windows world, finding out they didn't do what advertised, or if they did, having to pay for upgrades continually.

I can use an older machine with Linux - not as much of a resource hog. My father just bought a new machine because his laptop collapsed under the bloat of XP (I told him I refused to support it any more). I loaded Xubuntu on it and gave it to my sister, and it is working for her beautifully.

NightwishFan
March 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Why I like Linux so much is generally it is more well made, customizable, and secure by default. If there is a a problem generally there is a way to fix it. Rather than a patch on a single user system, Linux was made to be multiuser thus it is more secure. FInally in Vista, Windows is using better security features but they are more obtrusive than with Linux.

Eddie Wilson
March 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Correction, you're leasing them. =p

I stand corrected.

Eddie

yowshi
March 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
with XP poised to be totally "obsoleted" by vista, meaning MS just wont make any more copies and everyone will have to go with vista or bust, linux looks better and better every day. more secure, more modular so if mething breaks it doesnt take half your system with it. more customizable, free as in beeeeeeeer as well as in speech. ok so the learning curve is a bit steeper then windows but at least you have an operating system that you a) own entirely it's your install and you can do what ever the hell you please to it. and b) has real functionality to it not just eye candy that looks real functional until you try and open the hood.

not to mention my new favourite feature of linux COMPIZ-FUSION. i never though i would even look twice at this until i did a fresh install of a system and figured well worst case scenario i rienstall. it is a fresh install after all so if it breaks no sweat off me.

linux besting windows since the dawn of the operating system bringer of the compiz all the good stuff of aero half the processing requirements and no monies down :)

JohnLM_the_Ghost
March 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I've been gaming UT2004 on Linux for a while now (imagine, I didn't even play it before on XP!)... But I was on the losing end all the time!
I cursed my hardware, graphics card, TFT and whatnot...
THEN I installed it on XP finally - guess what: I'm on the winning side more often than not ever since then! The fluidness and flash-like graphics responsitivity is unmatched - at least double the quality (read: all features enabled, big resolution!) and speed than in Ubuntu...

I guess you can understand now, that I'm using XP more again, now (but aren't you too?)...

Gonna try out a friend's 8800 GT to have a reliable result, soon (although I've already tasted the horrors of changing GC vendor on the SAME Ubuntu system..!).

perixx

Well yeah! Got to admit Windows still is the PC Gaming Platform Nr. 1! (My subjective opinion of course)

As for UT2004, been playing that myself a lots (You might have guessed that from my avatar :) ). The main reason (right before bad drivers and stuff) why it performs worse on Ubuntu is because it was designed with DirectX in mind. OpenGL version has to do heaps of conversions and adaptations (DDS texture conversion for example). So It obviously performs slower.

Still have to hope Driver Programmer and Gamedev guys will support Linux more. (Hail to that bunch who does already, weee!)

-------------

Windows is made to break. I've been using and working on computers longer than most of these people have been alive. I've seen it all it seems. I've have never seen an os more prone to breakdowns then MS Windows. Thats the way its always been. Thats like going out and buying a new car with a 200 mile warranty. Its not going to do well. I can't complain tho because MS has made me a lot of money by having to repair broken Windows systems. I've had all the MS Windows versions, except Vista, and I don't need it or want it at all. I change hardware a lot and test new components for computers. Its my hobby now. I get sick and tired of having to call MS because I've reinstalled XP more than 4 times in one year.That is useless and that is a stupid thing to have to go through. I haven't called them now for a while because I've been using Ubuntu to do all my testing and you just can't trust the results you get anymore from Windows. Just because I own the MS products doesn't mean that they are any good.The only one that was close was 2000. No wonder MS is so afraid ofa little competition. That's why I use Linux and Bsd.

Eddie

We have a thing in common. I have reinstalled broken Windowses for other people way too much times to remember the count.
Ubuntu - none! (except few times for myself)

It might be also cause not too many people (I know) use Ubuntu, but those who do have no problems with that.

perixx
March 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Windows is made to break.

Fortunately, Linux is there to help, even with problems under Windows ;)

I've been successfully cloning forth and back my optimized XP partition from a single-DVD-image several times now, made with
NTFSCLONE!

It took me some time to work out a few but important details, to get an instantly working system clone backup of 3,3 GB in size - but now I can get it up and running within 10 minutes... using Ubuntu =)

See also my thread here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=719913

perixx

Wobedraggled
March 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I work on windows issues all day, last thing I want to do is go home and stare at it.

I dont have to deal with malware/spyware/viruses in Linux, and I can customize the heck out of it without having to patch a dll or download software at an additional cost. Linux does everything I need it to, and if I need a windows program I can use wine or Virtualbox.

I use it because I can.

bwallum
March 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Hows Hardy going? Is it stable ..ish enough for a 'more enthusiastic than competent' to start playing with?

iSplicer
March 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Uses less resources, is faster, better desktop effects.

Also, in a problem in linux, in most cases you ACTUALLY fix the problem, rather than using some patch in windows, which is just a workaround.

tomcat2007
March 28th, 2008, 04:31 AM
We have a thing in common. I have reinstalled broken Windowses for other people way too much times to remember the count. Ubuntu - none! (except few times for myself)Hahaha... perfectly describes my own experiences. I broke Feisty Fawn once and had to reinstall, by that time Gutsy was out. Keep trying to get my wife to migrate from XP... have been using Ubuntu since Feisty and recently installed openSUSE 10.3. and all the time I've spent "playing around" there was only that one instance of breakage which was the result of me toying with root access. Doh!

Now broken Windowses... they don't break so much now that I'm Blacklisting a lot of internet IP space of ill repute at the firewall but it seems there is still that wayward spyware infection that needs to be smooshed into the ground from time to time... and it's always XP... even with several antispyware, antivirus, antirootkit, and multiple firewall solutions.

tubasoldier
March 28th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I decided to go legit. Copyright laws.

I had XP, a pirated copy.
I had PhotoShop, a pirated copy.
I had Need For Speed Porsche, a pirated copy.
I had .... get the point?

So I started trying out Linux and after lots of bumps in the road (many more than newbies experience these days) I finally stuck to it.

d3adp00l
March 28th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Well I have been using windows since 3.0, it was a prirated copy, and I still have it, along with 3.1,3.11 95(pirate),98,98se,2000,me, xp sp1, ALL were pirated, it has only been now with the purchase of a new machine do I have a microsoft os legally, and its vista.

So in a sense I have a choice here, learn lunix, or learn vista, lets face it xp is on its way out, mostly because vista is much more in tune with being checked up on by microsoft for its legality. If you have a pirated copy, vista will tell on you eventually.

So far, I must say getting linux up and running was easier than vista, and vista was pre-installed. Getting online was easier with xub than vista by far, three mouse clicks and that was it. I never really understood how a windows machine would tell you that the was a network connection, but ie still couldn't bring up a web page. It seems to me that if the thing was online it was online, not partially online.

It seems that as far as office/productivity apps, linux and windows have the same to offer. The linux community seems more into than windows, but theres a lot going on all the time and its a bit chaotic, windows does have some simplicity in that regard, it comes from one source and therefore you need only look to one place. And that some many more people use it, you can go to fry's electronics and the geeks in white shirts can tell you how to get around just about all your woes. But linux seems more stable and therefore the os itself doesn't need so much in that way.

But it really comes down to peripherals, and I am not talking in a hardware sense, but in a software sense. Fact is we used to live with out these machines and did just fine, and when they came along it was the new stuff we could do on them that sold them to the public. docs and spreadsheets can still be done by hand, maybe not as fast but its doable. Its stuff like the net, games, videos, music, and things like that, that really got computers into our hands, mostly games, and net. And from what I can see linux can dominate the net, both for end users and servers. But the other half of the puzzle has been left out of the linux world, and that really shocks me.

It seems to me that younger people, normally college types, have been the main force of linux since the begining, they grew up and help keep it going by writing productive programs, but what about the fun side of things, I am not a com sci major, but it knocks me down that no one has writen a linux version of any of these popular games. Linux seems like it would be a great canidate for things like that, rock solid and efficient in its uses of resources, but it is completely over looked. Thats kinda sad.

I am sorry but most people aren't really looking to make their desktop look really unique, they could care less, they just want to mess around on a game or two, and then fire off some emails, and then get some tunes. Linux could do all these things for people, and yet it doesn't, and the simple side of their live is this, well you can have this machine with an os that can be a pain at times, but normally runs, and you can do all the things that can be done by a computer today, or you can have this machine that is completely adjustable, and very stable, but you can't really play games, and there really isn't a place to take it IF you do mess it up. People are turn key thinkers, if it aint turn key/no thought, they will use whatever is.

Another thing is that linux seems like it has the robust ability to really be a system for the home extertainment system, simple fast and reliable, and yet again it misses a huge market place but not filling that niche.

I like linux, it suits my personal beliefs about a fair and reasonable business practices, and that people should be more than a thing poking keys on a keyboard, at least have a basic understanding of the device you rely on. But it will fail even me if in its freedom, it only offers limitations.

Windows made it into the home because it hitched a ride on the pc, it thived because it was there and people learned it, it matured in the dominance of its proliferation, it became malicious in its totalitian methods. Linux has sat on the side and watched, but it has not moved to fill the wants of the general masses, and yet it was made to be for the general masses but its very open source nature. Maybe one day someone will use it to fill that niche. Maybe that day will be soon. That would be nice, I'd like to see open source overtake corporate policy, that would be a good day for mankind.

Sorry to rant, I type fast, and when I start typing what I am thinking, it all just comes right out of me.

NightwishFan
March 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I liked the:
It became malicious in its totalitarian methods
I always enjoy reading rants. :)

Kulgan
March 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Rants rock. Especially when they insult MS.

But I think you are slightly off when you say that linux is made "for the masses". It's more accurate to say that Linux is made for the people who use it - not the masses - and I'm sure most Linux users are happy to keep it that way (I for one do not want people who are unwilling to learn asking for help on the forums. It's annoying), even though we are happy when new, open-minded people join the community.

Attitude plays such a large role in a community project like open source software, and there are a lot of people whose attitudes I want nothing to do with. Open Source is about creating good, free and open source software, right? Not competing with M$. Just having a choice.

Am I right?

Kleist
March 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Really, the only thing I use in windows is Word. I still don't like openoffice writer.

Most of the time it's what I do, writing. But for the rest of my computer experience, Linux is much better and fun.

Ralphie
March 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I use it because it is smooth like a mac, but is still a PC.

I have totally switched, no longer use windows for anything.
I have adobe cs2 running in wine, and TF2 also running in wine, and so I no longer need windows.

I would however like to see the rest of the adobe products running on linux, and I figure if there are enough people like me switching over, adobe will get the hint! :D

I also like the community of ubuntu, it is awesome that you can be a real part of it if you wanted. unlike windows or mac, it is very community oriented!

tomcat2007
March 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I will use Linux when they make the build up of the operating system idiot proof. - With windows i know where all my programs are, my user files etc. With Linux i don't know what is installed where, windows everything under program files. .But it *IS* idiot proof. The average user doesn't care about what happens under the hood, just wants to send email, surf the internet, play games, movies, music... (use applications) and you can do all that "out of the box" so to speak. If you don't play around under the hood, I know of nothing that can be done that would harm the OS.

Everything mainstream is available via the menu and it takes 10 minutes to drag shortcuts to the desktop and/or panel(s). Once you do that, you know where programs are.

I've been using Linux for perhaps 6 months, started with Feisty and since that time have installed Gutsy, Debian Etch, openSUSE 10.3 and played with various other distributions in VMWARE. Didn't know anything about Linux beforehand except perhaps for LS this and CP that.

Many people criticize the learning curve of Linux, most of them have been using Windows for years. It isn't that Linux is more difficult, it is simply different and if you invest 10 minutes a day playing with the GUI, in a couple weeks you will know everything you need to know to do all the common tasks that Windows users typically want to perform.

Just my opinion, of course, but if a stubborn middle ager like me can learn to use it, anyone can.

switchblad3
March 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Its like learning to drive a manual transmission after driving an automatic for years, You just have to spend some time getting used to a few differences, Of course someone who has used windows for years is going to be a bit confused at first, but it isn't that hard to get used to a new OS, just takes a little "breaking in" time.

bruce89
March 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Whoever posted this sould get a warning, and the post removed, if not already. If it already is, I'm terribly sorry for the unnecessary post, but seriously- this kind of comment should not be allowed. :(

That's what the report button is for. Now you have got even more copies of this post.

yesterday
March 29th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Linux is much more flexible than XP, must easier to backup/restore I feel, and it's file system structure makes alot of sense. In Windows, all sorts of crap are in Program Files. In Linux, /bin /sbin/ /etc. make alot of sense (although though FreeBSD is even better in this regard). Linux development also is quite varied and interesting, so there are always decent projects being worked on. You can really see the OS evolve whereas Windows often seems to be quite static. Finally, Linux (*NIX) distros have better package managers than any other competing OS. Windows and Macs seriously have nothing on any linux package repo. Keeping your entire system up to date is so simple in the Linux world.

kool_kat_os
March 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM
i still cant actually live without windows

d3adp00l
March 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM

But I think you are slightly off when you say that linux is made "for the masses". It's more accurate to say that Linux is made for the people who use it - not the masses -
Am I right?

To a point I would agree, but the very nature of linux was to be so that the masses had access to what others restricted them from, and that is why I say it is made for the masses. The fact that its free, in all ways, to everyone, is very much directed for the mass public to be able to use it. An expensive os is more directed to people who can afford it. Does that make sense in that context?

larsenguitars
March 29th, 2008, 04:56 AM
If you have Linux, why would you use Windows XP ?

bwallum
March 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
errr...ummmm...what, you mean if you're not a head banging masochist?

tomcat2007
March 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
If you have Linux, why would you use Windows XP ?Gaming. Until "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" is ported to Linux (which I doubt happens) or WINED, XP will always be installed on one of my computers. Other than that, anything I need to do in XP can be duplicated in Linux... except for the cost and malware headaches :lolflag:

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I did a test run of Ubuntu and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then I dual booted. Once I learned the philosophy of Gnu/Linux I gave up pc gaming and then I was happy to learn the only 2 games I have work flawlessly in Wine.

fela
March 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
there are ALOT of advantages to using Linux, just you don't notice them if your not such a power user.

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I converted 2 people to Ubuntu in the last week. I didn't seek them out they found me. The amount of viruses and errors were piling up, their os was unusable. I didn't save them they saved themselves. You can go eat your heart out Bill Gates.
=D a bit extreme im kidding, A few people I know noticed I did not use windows and asked me about it and I gave them places to read up on it. Then they asked me to install and wipe windows. I think they were so open because I asked them to research a little on their own.

Lichig0
March 31st, 2008, 04:31 AM
You don't know how much I hate windows

Explorer.exe crashes constantly, when something crashes it crash handler thing crashes, it manages RAM very poorly, and recently the hard drive that used to have Linux on it failed, so I installed Linux over Windows, assuming I could install Windows on the previous Linux(the one on the failed hard drive) and whenever I wen into the set up it would screw with the newly installed Linux....I moved the hard drives around(swapped slave and master) and then window went berserk....it couldn't read the hard drives(both) and it went into blue screen....it corrupted both drives....so over all weekend ive been staying up and working on my computer for like 15 hours a day and have done many combinations that led to that....ive lost about 130 gigs of data(no i have no porn) and had to install Ubuntu 7.10 about 5 times....if this Windows XP wasn't my brothers I probably would have thrown it at the wall untill it shattered...and for Ubuntu the only problems i have is software like PSx and an N64 emu I had come across...I wish I never have to install Windows on a REAL hard drive again

*gets VMware*

mshirey8
March 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Between work and home I use WinXP, WinVista, and several different distros of Ubuntu. I like the fact that Ubuntu is free, well supported, and fun to experiment with. It provides me with a way to play around with all the old computers I've managed to accumulate without spending lots of money.

Lutin
March 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Because there is no diver for my Canon 4400F scanner.

Otherwise, everything else done under LInux.

original_jamingrit
March 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Windows came with my laptop when my Uncle bought it for me as a gift.

Linux, on the other hand, is free. ;)

Lichig0
April 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM

Explorer.exe crashes constantly, when something crashes it crash handler thing crashes, it manages RAM very poorly, and recently the hard drive that used to have Linux on it failed, so I installed Linux over Windows, assuming I could install Windows on the previous Linux(the one on the failed hard drive) and whenever I wen into the set up it would screw with the newly installed Linux....I moved the hard drives around(swapped slave and master) and then window went berserk....it couldn't read the hard drives(both) and it went into blue screen....it corrupted both drives....so over all weekend ive been staying up and working on my computer for like 15 hours a day and have done many combinations that led to that....ive lost about 130 gigs of data(no i have no porn) and had to install Ubuntu 7.10 about 5 times....if this Windows XP wasn't my brothers I probably would have thrown it at the wall untill it shattered...and for Ubuntu the only problems i have is software like PSx and an N64 emu I had come across...I wish I never have to install Windows on a REAL hard drive again

*gets VMware*
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4632460#post4632460

there is my story

berrett
April 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Why I use Linux? beacuse I hate the restricted and expensive Windows

lswest
April 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Well, Vista came with my laptop, and i use it for Adobe CS3 stuff (i use it for my school's publications stuff) and occasionally i play CSS on it (running at a dxlevel of 81 instead of directX 10 - great performance tip for anyone :P) and yeah...Linux i use for most else, it's stable, secure, fun to use, customizable, and...FAST! :P

qazwsx
April 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Gaming. Until "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" is ported to Linux (which I doubt happens) or WINED

Non-modded version works very well under wine. Well car textures are too dark (should work fully with Cedega though).

udh
April 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Why should you pay for a OS that crashes, needs updates (and then off course a compulsory 'restart'), and still with no guarantee that it will not crash?
Once I started using Linux, I really felt stupid to use windows. Take simple example of IE and its counterpart Firefox. FF has been better mainly due to its fast development. Same here, once you see Ubuntu, you see how powerful it can be. Thanks to many developers!:)

One day, Ubuntu will take over the free world.:guitar:

Lichig0
April 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
Why should you pay for a OS that crashes, needs updates (and then off course a compulsory 'restart'), and still with no guarantee that it will not crash?
Once I started using Linux, I really felt stupid to use windows. Take simple example of IE and its counterpart Firefox. FF has been better mainly due to its fast development. Same here, once you see Ubuntu, you see how powerful it can be. Thanks to many developers!:)

One day, Ubuntu will take over the free world.:guitar:
oh wow, i thought I was the only one that had random restarts and crashes....

larsenguitars
April 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Explorer.exe crashes constantly, when something crashes it crash handler thing crashes, it manages RAM very poorly, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

I, too, had much trouble with explorer crashing under XP. I always kept an explorer window open on any random folder, then if it crashed it would only kill the folder browser. If explorer crashes without a folder being open, it's takes XP down with it.

jfbilodeau
April 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I don't know if I qualify to reply to this thread since I've never had XP installed on any of my machines. I've been Microsoft-free for about 4 years.

However, having worked now and then on XP and (gasp!) Vista, I can tell you that I use Linux for two reasons:

Freedom: I like to know I can do whatever I need with my operating system and applications. I wonder how many Windows XP|Vista user ever read their EULA?
Control: I feel so desolate when I'm confronted with Windows. I have no control over the operating system. Everything is a blackbox, and Microsoft chooses what I can and cannot control. I'm grateful that I can do whatever I want with Linux (including breaking it from time to time ;))

My $0.02 CAD

longboneslinger
April 3rd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Welllll......lets see.
It works. Constantly and consistently.
It rarely crashes and when it does it's actually something I did.
NO malware

no active x

no registry

ITS FREE!!

you can tweek it till you go crosseyed and it just keeps going.

If you tweek windows it'll go crosseyed waaayyy before you do.]

M$ Winderz sux balls and blows chunks - it's as reliable as a crack head.

When linux coughs up an error you usually go "Oh!"

When WInderz coughs (actually it pukes up) an error 6 hours later you're still going "HUH?!?!?! WTF!! "

Linux has friendly forums like this one to help gnubes in easy to understand terms (A huge thx to all who've helped this gnube learn to love not only the OS but the community!!)

Winderz has a HUGE honking database thats as easy to navigate as a drunken maze with incredibly obscure and obtuse white pages that point to even more obscure and obtuse white pages that.....etc, etc........and that's just the version of winderz you're using!

M$ Winderz has a HUGE group of IT pros that live just fix this broken collection of junk and make big $$ to do it!!

It's late so I'll stop here. I've been using linux only 6 months or so and I already love it. Call me a convert.
Later taters,
bOnE

JohnLM_the_Ghost
April 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
oh wow, i thought I was the only one that had random restarts and crashes....

Cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but anyways - believe me, if you had seen as much Windows equipped PC's as I have, you would know it is just "normal" Windows behavior. Not to mention those who has been severely mis/ab-used I have seen full spectrum of all possible bugs and glitches what can you have on an OS.

Still it is possible to maintain stable Windows if you're good at it.
Though I must agree to

If you tweek windows it'll go crosseyed waaayyy before you do.

One more thing, specially at longboneslinger

M$ Winderz sux balls and blows chunks - it's as reliable as a crack head.

Point well taken! Not that I don't agree but you could stated it in more polite/neutral tone. No offense though!

VitaLiNux
April 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Do yo want a very good reason to avoid using Windows? Everybody hate those blue screens, black crashes... windows is so buggy... :lolflag:

kidux
April 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Freedom: I like to know I can do whatever I need with my operating system and applications. I wonder how many Windows XP|Vista user ever read their EULA?

On a whim, I looked up the EULA, and was shocked to see the very first condition of use for XP Home is that it cannot be run on a dual core processor!! Specifically, it says
...The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. That's crazy, and makes me all the more glad I run Ubuntu.

Lichig0
April 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but anyways - believe me, if you had seen as much Windows equipped PC's as I have, you would know it is just "normal" Windows behavior. Not to mention those who has been severely mis/ab-used I have seen full spectrum of all possible bugs and glitches what can you have on an OS.

Still it is possible to maintain stable Windows if you're good at it.
Though I must agree to

One more thing, specially at longboneslinger

Point well taken! Not that I don't agree but you could stated it in more polite/neutral tone. No offense though!
No, there was no sarcasm. I was starting to feel doubt about Avast when my friend's friend told me it has to be a virus restarting it.(his dad works for Microsoft) and I did believe him.

#1) I'm not retarded when I go online and go to porn or flash game sites(like newgrounds or whatever its called) because I was careful of what I could have gotten. With Linux I dont reject those links my friends send me.(and they wonder why there computer has adds randomly pop up and have a slow computer.)
#2)I had a good ani-virus Avast!

For the record I have completely converted with the exception(if needed) of using Windows in VMware player for games.

Lichig0
April 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM

But I think you are slightly off when you say that linux is made "for the masses". It's more accurate to say that Linux is made....yadayada

Am I right?

I like how you think

Frak
April 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM
On a whim, I looked up the EULA, and was shocked to see the very first condition of use for XP Home is that it cannot be run on a dual core processor!! Specifically, it says That's crazy, and makes me all the more glad I run Ubuntu.

A processor is something that can complete instructions. It has no dependence on the number of cores.

monolux
April 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Having your answers responded by human beings and not having to tolerate the windows automated service. Like said before: "freedom and fight against the monopoly". I mean what made me mad(it's kind of stupid)was that you couldn't get movie maker separately, you have to automatic update the whole OS to get it to work:lolflag:!!

RJ Hythloday
April 7th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Besides, quite a few people here would freak out if Windows went missing.. ](*,)

I'm reinstalling XP on the family's main pc as the flash crash in firefox is just bringing the complaints over the top. I will be using mainly free apps on that xp maching. vlc, irfanview, deepburner, mediamonkey, foobar, openoffice etc. But for the familie's needs *nix just isn't there yet, I'll be keeping kubuntu hardy w/ vwmare on my PVR/htpc/over clocking toy and when I see adobe do something about flash or someone else fixing gnash or what ever, I'll try to sneak *nix back on the families. If firefox wasn't crashing all the time I wouldn't hear all the complaints, swiftweasel was actually worse! And no I don't like opera haven't given it much chance, konqueror is even worse.

#2)I had a good ani-virus Avast!

For the record I have completely converted with the exception(if needed) of using Windows in VMware player for games.

problem is vm doesn't work 100%, I haven't used av in years, I've only switched to *nix recently but since I found firefox, I haven't had a virus scanner or a virus in at least 3 years. I have had a few viruses before that using ie6 and had to manually remove them, norton didn't even find them or had to reformat and reinstall.

I've installed a dozen distros on the family machine in the past few months, just trying to get sound to work, I gave up and went w/ cheap speakers plugged into the onboard. I do like how fast *nix installs, but I don't mind doing a m$ reinstall evey 6mos or year either. I plan on keeping it logged in as user, instead of always admin like in the past to keep the kids from installing every trial game they can find.
:popcorn: let the flames roll

djchandler
April 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm reinstalling XP on the family's main pc as the flash crash in firefox is just bringing the complaints over the top. I will be using mainly free apps on that xp maching. vlc, irfanview, deepburner, mediamonkey, foobar, openoffice etc. But for the familie's needs *nix just isn't there yet, I'll be keeping kubuntu hardy w/ vwmare on my PVR/htpc/over clocking toy and when I see adobe do something about flash or someone else fixing gnash or what ever, I'll try to sneak *nix back on the families. If firefox wasn't crashing all the time I wouldn't hear all the complaints, swiftweasel was actually worse! And no I don't like opera haven't given it much chance, konqueror is even worse.

problem is vm doesn't work 100%, I haven't used av in years, I've only switched to *nix recently but since I found firefox, I haven't had a virus scanner or a virus in at least 3 years. I have had a few viruses before that using ie6 and had to manually remove them, norton didn't even find them or had to reformat and reinstall.

I've installed a dozen distros on the family machine in the past few months, just trying to get sound to work, I gave up and went w/ cheap speakers plugged into the onboard. I do like how fast *nix installs, but I don't mind doing a m$ reinstall evey 6mos or year either. I plan on keeping it logged in as user, instead of always admin like in the past to keep the kids from installing every trial game they can find.
:popcorn: let the flames roll

I hope you are prepared for all the attendant problems that running IE under XP or Vista can hatch, especially if there are youngsters around. Can my brother ever tell stories about his XP box that my nieces use. Every couple of months I have to troubleshoot his computer due to spyware and viruses. It's sometimes not pretty. Back up your data frequently and always be ready for a fresh install.

BTW, I put my 6 year old grandson in front of my Ubuntu box with Firefox running last weekend to see how he would do with it. All he wanted to do was play Flash games on cartoonnetwork.com; only one crash in Firefox, zero Ubuntu crashes, no spyware, no virus, no unwanted cookies (I run the no-script plug-in.) My guess is that poor Flash coding is most likely responsible for most Flash plug-in crashes. Also, did you try the ubufox extension? That's cut down a lot of incompatibility problems for me. I strictly use Adobe's Flash player. I have not tried the FOSS flash player Gnash. Incidentally, Adobe is beginning to take notice of the FOSS community. There is a Linux version of their Air Player in alpha, and Flex 3.0 is now licensed under Mozilla.

Yes, there are some sites that want you to use Windows exclusively. ESPN360 is one I would like to access from Ubuntu, but I can't even though AT&T provides access in conjunction with your DSL subscription. On the other hand, HULU works great with Firefox under Linux. As with everything else, it's just a matter of what you are willing to trade away. Convenience alone may benefit someone other than the end-user.

Good luck in MS land. We'll keep the light on for you.

DexterLB
April 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Windows just freaks me out. That's why I use linux.
And linux is FREE software. And of course B*** G**** is an Idi**. You can guess who is what and you can guess why. :lolflag:

MountainX
April 7th, 2008, 07:16 AM
theres really no reason to go over to linux if you have windows and a casual computer user.

I look at it from the other perspective.

I have only been using Linux for about 3 months. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that there is really no reason to prefer Windows over Linux. It took me a while to reach that point. I had to find the apps I needed and learn a new operating system. But once I got used to Ubuntu, I realized that Windows really doesn't have any serious advantages. I realized that Windows has such a huge market share for reasons other than being a better operating system. In short, I realized that with modern Linux distros like Ubuntu, there are few or no technical reasons Linux can't take huge amounts of market share away from Windows right now.

The other people here already gave a lot of reasons for preferring Linux. I agree. I don't ever see myself going back to Windows.

And I think the world will be a better place when Linux has at least as much of the desktop market as Windows.

love2learn
April 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have been interested in linux in general for years. If you notice ive been registered on this forum since 2006. and other linux sites since 2002. I have tried 25ish different distros and lasted only a few weeks if at all on linux until this year.

My wife and I have 5 computers in the house. 2 laptops 3 desktops. I saw the "new" prices of vista last/this year and about crapped. If i was going to upgrade to the LEAST effective er expensive win OS it would be upwards of $200 EACH
I would have had to plop down a GRAND just for the BASE operating systems. Let alone a decent antivirus, spyware, dvd burning, and now-a-days nvidia DECODERS even cost money.
so lets do just a bit of math:
5 x $200 = $1000.
5 x $20 = 100.
5 x $20 = 100.
5 x $20 = 100.
5 x $20 = 100.

That is $1400.00 on just BASIC software. I didnt even include office, games, or any other software that has you pay for "full support". ( ie. tired of the winzip/rar reminder pop up? )

Now, you may be thinking, I didnt pay for windows. It came with my computer..... just don't think anymore.

linux as a whole used to be tough as nails to operate. Hard to figure out, and I admired the guys that stuck with it for dedication.
Ubuntu is changing things around. I booted to Ubuntu and could immediately see everything just right, could get on the internet and browse, and could hear everything I needed to. IMMEDIATELY! That is amazing. Ive used windows since windows was born and it has never EVER been that easy.

I am now a full linux user on my personal laptop. I plan on learning for a few more months then switching over every single computer I can get my hands on.

I am sold Tux. Thanks for showing me the light.

billgoldberg
April 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?

1. You are using up to date technology ! (how old is xp, 7 years or something, that's ancient)

2. The obvious security reasons (viruses, ...)

3. Looks far better than that blue and green monster.

4. Total control over the OS.

5. Because of the expo-plugin and the multiple desktops, you get work done much faster

6. Surfing the internet without worrying constantly.

7. Getting help is a lot easier.

8. Free

9. Stability

10. No DRM whatsoever !!!!!!!!!!

11. You're not using the same OS 95% of the world uses.

chaos315
April 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I use Ubuntu as well as XP and Vista. I use Vista very little and only because it came on the computer. I have a copy of XP running inside Ubuntu so that I can do things that are easier in windows. Just uncapture the screen and move to another face of the cube and I am back to my good old linux.

I absolutely love linux for the freedom from viruses, it is soooo much faster, I don't have to wait for the whole world to load up before I can use my computer. Plus the sense of community, like this site for great example, just about all of us are connected by the use of a very simple, yet very complex OS. I have only used linux for a short time, but my eagerness to learn a new system, and my freedom from the empire (insert your "empire strikes back" music here) has brought me to a point where I feel very comfortable using it. If you bork your system, post it and someone will help you out. If you bork your windows, you will call someone (or take it somewhere) and they will charge you $$$. I hope to learn enough to help others in the future. ----- thanks to all who have helped me ----------

Plus I love the eyecandy -- find me a cube in windows.

X_CheshireCat_x
April 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I admit to being a fresh Linux noob... I find alot of things on Linux difficult, why? because its different. i know where everything is on XP where as on Linux i am lost... completely! I'm sure it just takes time to build new OS habits.
XP's themes are crap and software costs you money, but how hard is it really to get cracked wares? or open software? and you can make XP look sexy for free no hassle, i did..

Dont get me wrong i loved xp, but i am preparing for the future... you just have to read the draconian product license for vista to see why Microsoft is crap. it all looks very nice on the surface, but i wonder what user rights MS will take away from the user in Windows 7?!

its my computer not yours bill! take your visa and shove it...

Gig103
April 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Windows XP does work great for me. And despite being 7 years old, it doesn't feel dated. But as Vista becomes the dominant, I need an alternative, and that's where Ubuntu comes in.

d3adp00l
April 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM
honestly I am having some of the same issues with ubuntu that I am having with MS, and thats how net based the whole thing is. I know I am gonna be a small minority here, but I will say it anyway. I don't want multiusers for my machine, if someone else wants to use a computer, then get your own, leave mine alone. If I want software, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for it, something both sides of the fence have lost, one is too much, and the other only works cause its on the net, and therefore free.

In all seriousness I want an os that is an OS not a processing engine for a net machine, I don't like being limited to only being able to use UB when connected to the net, yes it works when not, but I can't load crap cause there if no physical copies of software, and if the net wasn't availble it would not be able to get any programss.

Quiet simply I want an OS that is gonna provide me with a Gui to access and manipulate the files on the hd, control hardware, and run programs, I want it to have nothing to do with the net, thats what browsers ftp and other programs are for, and if those programs were the only interface between my machine and the net, then security would be much easier to control.

Basically I see most OS and machines built to be used by large networked businesses, and thats why and how they were designed, for admin control and spying and all that, but they made a few little adjustments and said ya that will work at home too. Sometimes running an os (MS or UB) feels more like public transportation than my own personal vehicle, but I can get home with it so the bus is "usable" right?!

I want simple controllable efficient, intuitive, and MINE, not something written for a business and is tuned over to allow me to use it at home, so long as I log on as the admin, I don't know about you guys, but this is in my house, and there is no damned "ADMIN" here just me the owner and user, and if I want to delete files that the system needs, well thats my fault and I will fix it, and if I want to install unistall, add or remove, it should do so, completely and without a trace of it on my system when I am done.

Saint Angeles
April 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM
i think having XP would make you wanna use ubuntu even more.

billgoldberg
April 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I want simple controllable efficient, intuitive, and MINE, not something written for a business and is tuned over to allow me to use it at home, so long as I log on as the admin, I don't know about you guys, but this is in my house, and there is no damned "ADMIN" here just me the owner and user, and if I want to delete files that the system needs, well thats my fault and I will fix it, and if I want to install unistall, add or remove, it should do so, completely and without a trace of it on my system when I am done.

If you are the only user, you know the admin password and can do everything you want on your box. What's the problem?

You feel like deleting system files?

open up a terminal:

gksudo nautilus

Go ahead, delete as you see fit.

joe.turion64x2
April 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM
honestly I am having some of the same issues with ubuntu that I am having with MS, and thats how net based the whole thing is. I know I am gonna be a small minority here, but I will say it anyway. I don't want multiusers for my machine, if someone else wants to use a computer, then get your own, leave mine alone. If I want software, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for it, something both sides of the fence have lost, one is too much, and the other only works cause its on the net, and therefore free.

In all seriousness I want an os that is an OS not a processing engine for a net machine, I don't like being limited to only being able to use UB when connected to the net, yes it works when not, but I can't load crap cause there if no physical copies of software, and if the net wasn't availble it would not be able to get any programss.

Quiet simply I want an OS that is gonna provide me with a Gui to access and manipulate the files on the hd, control hardware, and run programs, I want it to have nothing to do with the net, thats what browsers ftp and other programs are for, and if those programs were the only interface between my machine and the net, then security would be much easier to control.

Basically I see most OS and machines built to be used by large networked businesses, and thats why and how they were designed, for admin control and spying and all that, but they made a few little adjustments and said ya that will work at home too. Sometimes running an os (MS or UB) feels more like public transportation than my own personal vehicle, but I can get home with it so the bus is "usable" right?!

I guess PCBSD is for you then. Was using version 1.4 today and it's quite impressive. It has a reputation of being rock solid, and the most popular software is distributed in "PBI"" format, which, to practical purposes is pretty much the same as .exe files: contains all the stuff needed to install that given program (no dependencies hunt) and can be downloaded using another machine (no network required to install them).

I was amazed to see they had even IE6 and MSN7 avaible for installation in that format, and they performed very well. FYI it uses KDE 3.5.8 and Fluxbox.

Thanks.
Joe.

metalguy639
April 10th, 2008, 02:12 AM
1. No virius, adware, spyware or other malicious things
2. I can still do all I need on a linux box even web design I need to do for my business.
3. There are TONS of free programs/packages you can install to do many things that windows programs do at a costly rate.
4. There usually seems to be a solution to most problems on my linux box, where as on windows the solution was format and reload.....AGAIN.
5. Linux is just plain more stable.

Granted I personally do not play alot of games so I cannot say that gaming would be great on a linux box, but for me it meets all the needs I have.

HebrewTheHammer
April 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM
windows xp: $300
Microsoft office: $150
(if you want a extraction that doesn't read as spyware or a malitious program in windows) : $75

Well lets just round up, about 600-700 dollars for the software you need to run a system efficiently on windows.

in the way i see it, That 600-700 reasons to use linux. if you want games you could buy a ps3 and 360 for less than that.

plus some people out there don't enjoy being anally raped by. a un-moralistic monopoly. 9/10 times you give them the increasing price for the decreasing tech costs.....it crashes in some way physically damaging something in your computer leaving you nothing but the need to fork out more cash.

your question is like asking. if you had some sort of free transportation system and a gasoline powered car(at $4 a gallon), why use the free one.

because its no cost to us, and it hurts the rich man that has been raping us for the last 200 years.

but if you like sucking the proverbial **** of the system then that your business. jus do it somewhere else.

[EDIT] this is all based on you building you own computer. if you build your own computer you pay $300 for; 3.1GHz single core, 1gig ddr2 ram, dvd drive, case, duel core ready mother board,(my graphics card was a steal but 100 dollar value),power supply,seta 250gig hard drive.

Now you would pay upwards of $800 dollars for this pc....what the **** are you paying for....a broken OS. so dont even say it came on your computer...you payed for it. $500 dollars for it to be exact.

[EDIT][EDIT] however i did recently acquired a legitimate copy of xp from my brother who is staff at a college for $6 dollars. i will only be using it for one pupose...no not playing video games...but modding them to be better on my ps3.

chili555
April 18th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I have XP on a harddrive in an anti-static bag in a drawer somewhere. Takes 95 years to boot, 95 hours to run Windows Update and reboot and 89 years to shut down...compared to Ubuntu. I do my taxes and fine-tune the settings on my Logitech Harmony remotes. I could probably do this in Virtual Box, but I couldn't be bothered to try.

Everything I want or need to do, I can do in Ubuntu on the seven computers in this two people home. Admittedly, we don't do CAD or CNC here.

Why would we pay, pay and pay some more to get virii, spyware, malware, et al?

We won't.

linuxtoindia
April 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM
friends we all know what is windows and what is microsoft ... rome was not built in a day!! they have worked a lot and made computing global... and its result of that we find you computing... they are the best ,... and you all talk about virus?? they are generally made by antivirus companies!wait seeing the prosperity of linux they will mess our system too!!

And Finally .. We are here BE to positive about our product ,, not for comparision! dont compare linux with windows ,,,

Both are meant for different purpose ....so just help / support linux and its allies for its development instead of comparing...
and one day will come when linux would be the first and last! choice for computing..

''no one learns anything from his /her moma's stomach ...
he learns everythg here''--alexander

A mouse whose pixels you can't see!
Seriously though, free and freedom. It's free as in $0. It's free as in spy/mal/somethingelse-ware free. You have the freedom to do whatever you'd like with it - this is by far the biggest plus, but the hardest one to really pick up on. I'm still finding cool stuff to change every day that I didn't even think possible.

The registry ought to be shot.

JohnLM_the_Ghost
April 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
friends we all know what is windows and what is microsoft ... rome was not built in a day!! they have worked a lot and made computing global... and its result of that we find you computing... they are the best ,... and you all talk about virus?? they are generally made by antivirus companies!wait seeing the prosperity of linux they will mess our system too!!

And Finally .. We are here BE to positive about our product ,, not for comparision! dont compare linux with windows ,,,

Both are meant for different purpose ....so just help / support linux and its allies for its development instead of comparing...
and one day will come when linux would be the first and last! choice for computing..

Gotta say this is one serious statement.
You guys read and think about it!
It is really not (or shouldn't be) about comparison at all!

Thanks linuxtoindia!

aktiwers
April 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
If you have a bike, why do you use your ferrari?

yowshi
April 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
---Quote (Originally by linuxtoindia)---

---End Quote---

unfortunatly it is in some small part about comparison thats human nature. we sit around and compare stuff and then decide whats better for us. unfortunatly human nature doesnt end there we then find other people who are like minded in what we think is better and form tribes. then the tribes wander around and try to get other people to think as they do. either that or they just start scapegoating or other such not so good stuff to "tbot" otherwise known as them bastards over there phenomenon. this is such fundamental human behaviour that linux people do it to other linux people. how many, how many times have you heard some guy go "you should use slacklware or "insert linux distro here" it is more pure or more of a real linux distro" or whatever logic is passing off as the great reason to use thier linux distro. i went through this alot when i was looking into which distro to use. i asked people i knew who used linux and everyone seemed to think thiers was the absolute best. and most of the reasons were fairly similar. so yeah it is about comparison even if it shouldnt be. windows people slam and compare windows to mac and some to linux or any other alternative if they have heard and know anything about it. mac does the same and so does everyone else.l sorry about the long a$$ rant. there were a few other pointers but this has gotten to long already

will1911a1
April 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I use Linux over XP because I haven't found anything that I would do in Windows that Linux doesn't do as well or better.

In addition to that I don't have to concern myself with spyware, viruses, or troubleshooting because the computer has become slower over time.

bwallum
April 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I just like the calmer less pushy ambiance than Linux offers. I have run up against usage hassle with Windows in the past, having paid for full authentic software, and I am sick of corporate hawks thinking they can mess me about at their choosing. After thousands of pounds spent on Microsoft products I am mightily relieved to be shot of them.

I may have to compromise here and there because no Linux drivers exist (yet) for some web cams and printers that I have but they all have finite life and I replace them with Linux compatible as and when, no great deal.

However, with Ubuntu, I do know that some numb nut is not going to insist I repeat 9 strings of numbers on a touch tone phone just to let me in to my computer, contrary to the law of contract that came with my Compaq PC, just because I change a piece of hardware. I will not be pestered every time I turn on my PC to update this or that particular piece of proprietary software and then have to really focus to avoid some pushy marketeer from loading disruptive, invasive software that offers 'additional benefits'. Those benefits are not for me, thats for sure. I will not have M$ decide if I can make an electronic copy of my legally purchased cds and dvds and I will not have to seek M$'s consent to load them onto a portable flash drive player either.

If you want to remain a lamb to Bill's shepherd then good luck to you. I prefer a stable platform where I can get some high quality work done and retain some privacy.

robelliott2125
April 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Put it this way....

I've been a Hardcore Billy supporter for years, always upgraded, but when he *cough* "made" Vista, i didn't bother upgrading.

I stumbled across Ubuntu some years ago, but feared change, never installed it, never ran the live cd, then a friend recently ditched Whinedoze XP for ubuntu, with no regrets.

I followed suit, but promised myself, next time XP messed up, beyond my abilities to recover it, I'd format and go 100% linux.
Unfortunately this week was it, a virus got past my Nod32 installation, corrupted my LAS registry entries, and completely wiped the user database off the system. Couldn't recover even from the recover mode on the CD, so out came my Hirens disk, formatted, made a slightly larger partition and on came Ubuntu 100%.

Had a few problems when I was dual booting to begin with, such as my Res / Ref wasn't correct for the monitor, but with some studio engineering my friend, managed to sort it out. Now I'm just enjoying the fact I can click the update module, and hey presto new Up-to-date OS = Heron!
Not that I have... Yet...

Anyhoo, i'm writing this from a non-firewalled, non-anti-virus'd pc, which also makes this old 2.4Ghz cpu, with 700mb ram very fast.

So i'm enjoying it!

Ubuntu is my new best friend.. Bye Billy.

pbpersson
April 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Now that I have been using Ubuntu for months.......Windows just seems like SO MUCH WORK.

Today I wanted to create a brand new Linux machine - I popped the DVD in the drawer, had Linux installed in no time, installed 1400 packages in about two hours and everything works - period. I now have Linux up and running on my fastest machine in the house.

Now.....just imagine if I tried to do that with Windows XP. First as I understand it, I would need to call Microsoft and explain to them why I am moving XP off my old machine to my new machine.

Then I would need to dig around the entire house for the stacks of CDs of all the products I needed to install. Heaven forbid I am missing a license key.

Oh....and this is all new hardware and XP is six years old so I'm sure I would have to download special drivers. Hopefully one of the drivers is NOT for the network card, since this machine has no floppy.

Windows is way more work than I am willing to undertake now that I know the Ubuntu/Kubuntu family. Besides, Linux just works better. :)

WilSteele
April 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Wow, this same thread is alive and going on three years... that deserves some recognition...

XP... ewwww. For games, yes, for Adobe CS, yes. For everything else, and I mean everything else, !!!UBUNTU!!! and I mean it.

I do tech work in a mainly Windows environment. That makes me hate it. All this linux is more stable stuff, well, I wouldn't exactly agree, but it is more customizable to your exact needs and if something does stop working right it is some much easier to fix.

XP is fine, if you are willing to pay out a lot of money to keep on top of anti-virus software... oh, wait, I forgot, you also need anti-spyware and anti-adware software these days. Wow, that's so much stuff running all the time, if you don't think it makes a difference, think again. install windows fresh without a net connection, no anti anything, and see how much faster it runs - then install all the other stuff you need to avoid things like smitfraud or other similar viruses... and don't believe that "i don't go to porn sites so I am safe" crap. you get these new viruses through "windows vulnerability issues". Yes, vulnerabilities built right into windows. (hey, did you know the welcome.exe in w2k is a virus in todays world that was exploited by hackers to put smitfraud on your pc the moment it goes on the net, before you even launch a web browser you have viruses). OK, I'm rambling a bit. So some of my clients are departments of the provincial government who like to cheap out and not upgrade till necessary and this is the crap I have been having to deal with in windows. And if you call MS up the most likely thing you'll hear is "well, if you upgrade to vista you won't have this problem". (Of course, last time I checked, vista didn't run with 256 MB of ram.)

ok, I'm ranting... but for all of you windows lovers who can't see why you should switch all I can say is speed, usability, security... and damn do movies look so much better. Not to mention the accessibility of extra software packages.

Other than the couple of things I mentioned at the start, I can't think of anything that windows is better for over linux.

mynamesforrest
April 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I support MS networks by day and use Ubuntu at home. I still have an XP native install on a spare HD which I use for the odd game and for Guitar Rig 3 (it works in LiveBox but not well enough).

I VPN to my work network and RDC to my work PC to check email etc.

Ubuntu is great but it CAN learn from Windows and OSX. I think a Ubuntu Small Business Server would really make inroads to new customers. Gnome based with a "Server Management" window as per Windows SBS Server. It would save small businesses a fortune in licenses. All they need is file sharing, dhcp, dns and email. Even if Windows XP is still used as a client it's a big step.

Also Outlook is a KILLER application in the Windows world, especially when coupled with Exchange.

bsell
April 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ubuntu is great but it CAN learn from Windows and OSX. I think a Ubuntu Small Business Server would really make inroads to new customers. Gnome based with a "Server Management" window as per Windows SBS Server. It would save small businesses a fortune in licenses. All they need is file sharing, dhcp, dns and email. Even if Windows XP is still used as a client it's a big step.

Also Outlook is a KILLER application in the Windows world, especially when coupled with Exchange.How about Ubuntu server and Webmin?

antisocialist
April 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
windows people slam and compare windows to mac. mac does the same and so does everyone else.

mac people are the worst. i have a friend who uses mac and has never seen a linux computer in his life, and probably doesn't realise his mac connects to linux servers(like google) every single day. one day i saw an apple sticker (the company, not the fruit) on some of his stuff and asked if he used apple. he did, and asked what i use. when i said i use linux he seemed stumped but said that "linux sucks. nac is so much better" i thought it was really stupid as he had never tried linux but whatever.

Frak
April 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I support MS networks by day and use Ubuntu at home. I still have an XP native install on a spare HD which I use for the odd game and for Guitar Rig 3 (it works in LiveBox but not well enough).

I VPN to my work network and RDC to my work PC to check email etc.

Also Outlook is a KILLER application in the Windows world, especially when coupled with Exchange.
I agree with bsell on Ubuntu Server and Webmin. Also, Evolution is a Linux clone of Outlook made by Novell. It supports nearly everything Outlook supports, matches the interface, and even has its own perks.

blegs38552
April 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
OK - I am going to tick off even more Windows haters by saying why I use Vista instead of Ubuntu on a daily basis. I keep all of my financial records in Microsoft Money (I'm sure other use this or Quicken). Will someone please tell me how I can accomplish the same thing in Ubuntu, or any Linux version (remember, if there is an app for this, it will have to completely convert my MS Money files perfectly). Also, is there version of either Tax Cut or Turbo Tax for Linux, or do I have to go back to the arduous manual preparation of my yearly tax returns for my kids and myself solely for the supposed satisfaction of now using a Microsoft application?

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
i use xp for work, games, line6 guitarpod, music software, and i'm forever foobar. other than that, i use linux for everything else.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
OK - I am going to tick off even more Windows haters by saying why I use Vista instead of Ubuntu on a daily basis. I keep all of my financial records in Microsoft Money (I'm sure other use this or Quicken). Will someone please tell me how I can accomplish the same thing in Ubuntu, or any Linux version (remember, if there is an app for this, it will have to completely convert my MS Money files perfectly). Also, is there version of either Tax Cut or Turbo Tax for Linux, or do I have to go back to the arduous manual preparation of my yearly tax returns for my kids and myself solely for the supposed satisfaction of now using a Microsoft application?

you're almost defending yourself - no need to. some people have different needs than others. those who claim one OS will do everything the other OS does at least as good is high as a kite. VM or dual boot windows and you're all set.

digger95
April 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Those who claim one OS will do everything the other OS does at least as good is high as a kite.
LOL... agreed.

Like it or not, Windows has its place in the world, and at least on my machine XP was much zippier than any version of Linux I've tried. Linux is sloooow. I switched though because quite frankly I was using a lot of pirated software from school, and it got to me. Now I'm 100% Linux and will just force myself to find native apps that will do what I want.

Dig

digger95
April 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
P.S. Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors. You just sound childish to be honest. If Linux truly does stand on its own as a viable alternative, it should be able to do so without mudslinging.

Tomatz
April 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

If you dont like linux dont use it. It didn't cost you anything.

Isn't that an advantage?

blegs38552
April 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I agree - I am only trying to say that people who bad mouth Windows completely seem to have no awareness of why people use computers. I am dual booting Linux in order to learn about Linux, but without any illusions that it was replace my Windows installation, at least in the foreseeable future.

One more reason that I will not abandon Windows on the machine - I am typing this on my wireless connected laptop from Vista - I have had Ubuntu installed now for 2 weeks or so, and posted my problem into a Ubuntu forum, but I am not able to connect to the internet via a wireless connection unless I totally disabling any form of encryption. If I have WEP, WPA or WPA2 enabled , my CAP Lock etc lights flash on and off and the computer totally locks up. I have to perform a hard shutdown to restart. If I try to boot with my wireless antenna on, I get a Kernel Panic message with the same lockup. So I guess Linux is still for learning and fun, but with too many limitations to be anything more for me.

you're almost defending yourself - no need to. some people have different needs than others. those who claim one OS will do everything the other OS does at least as good is high as a kite. VM or dual boot windows and you're all set.

jaytek13
April 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
If you dont like linux dont use it. It didn't cost you anything.

Isn't that an advantage?

He never said he didn't like it. He simply asked what advantages it had. There is no need to be snide and condescending. I realize that Linux always has that small userbase of vocal "elitists" but Ubuntu has tried to shed that image and you're just adding to it. You should check your elitism at the door on these forums, it's not the place for that kind of attitude.

Anyways as far as what advantages I see in using Linux over XP/Vista, there is quite the list:

1. No DRM. I'm not having to agree to a liscense agreement for my music player saying I won't use it the way I want to use it. I don't have the media player spying on what I'm using it for.

2. Security. In spite of what Windows croonies would like to throw around, Linux is inherently more secure than Windows, and it has next to nothing to do with "security through obscurity."

3. I don't have services spying on me. Anonymous or not, it is well known that Microsoft implements services into it's OS's that send anonymous usage reports to them. I don't really care for that.

4. The command line - yes, I actually like using it. I find it to be more productive and quicker in getting things done.

5. I have a programming background. Linux environment is much more conducive to this.

6. It has applications I prefer. I like Amarok better than WMP. I like pidgin better than, well, anything (yes I realize it is available for Windows). The list goes on.

7. It runs better on my computer. Vista was horribly slow, and XP doesn't fare that much better. All graphical effects enabled on Ubuntu and it's performance is still much, much better.

8. While I do have Vista now, it very much got on my nerves having to install XP. I'd installed it so many times over the years that at the end of the time I officially stopped using it I had to call Microsoft if I wanted to install it and ask their permission to do so. How ridiculous!

9. It's highly customizable. With Windows, you always know what you get. Outside of changing the color theme, there really aren't any options to make it feel like it's "yours." When I run Linux it feels like I actually have a relationship with my OS and that I can call it my own.

The list goes on, but those are just some of my reasons. Everyone has their own (or doesn't).

kg4tah
April 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Nice post.... I have xp and switched to ubuntu for two reasons:

1) ITS FREE
2) No More Virus Infections

Did I mention all the available FREE software?

graphix1
April 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
You don't feed the Microsoft bank!!!!

kg4tah
April 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
not anymore, thats for sure :-)

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I agree - I am only trying to say that people who bad mouth Windows completely seem to have no awareness of why people use computers. I am dual booting Linux in order to learn about Linux, but without any illusions that it was replace my Windows installation, at least in the foreseeable future.

One more reason that I will not abandon Windows on the machine - I am typing this on my wireless connected laptop from Vista - I have had Ubuntu installed now for 2 weeks or so, and posted my problem into a Ubuntu forum, but I am not able to connect to the internet via a wireless connection unless I totally disabling any form of encryption. If I have WEP, WPA or WPA2 enabled , my CAP Lock etc lights flash on and off and the computer totally locks up. I have to perform a hard shutdown to restart. If I try to boot with my wireless antenna on, I get a Kernel Panic message with the same lockup. So I guess Linux is still for learning and fun, but with too many limitations to be anything more for me.
your expectations going into this are totally reasonable. Why use an OS that can't work with your hardware on a level that you need it to?

The reason a lot of people here are anti-Microsoft is basically because of the sort of computing infrastructure that Microsoft has created and supports; basically, one that strictly controls and defines the abilities of the user with proprietary/closed off drivers, DRM, and the like. For these people, Linux allows them the freedom they seek to go about their computing experience without restrictions like these.

But of course, no matter how much freedom the OS affords, it's useless to you if it can't work with your wireless hardware. I'm glad, though, that you came at it with a reasonable attitude of exploration. A lot of people trying Linux after having used Windows for their entire lives are a lot more narrow minded and needlessly aggressive when it comes to trying Ubuntu or seeking support for it here at the forums.

edit: Although, may I add; I noticed that you haven't created your own thread about the wireless problem, but attempted to post across various threads that had somewhat similar issues. This makes it hard for people to get a bearing on your specific problem and hardware setup, especially in large threads like the Ralink wireless thread you were posting in. So while your attempt at doing research and trying to solve your problem is admirable to say the least, this method is not really very effective unless you already have some knowledge about the way Linux works.

I would highly recommend starting your own thread in an appropriate section, with some information about your laptop; brand, model number, whether the wireless is external or internal, and where you currently stand with the hardware. This will allow people to directly address your problem and assist you in getting your wireless working; it may very well be more possible than you have come to believe through your various trials.

I went through the same thing when I first tried Linux. I would do hours and hours of research, trying to fix my problems and get my installation up and running (ironically enough, my problems were with wireless as well). After I finally gave in and started a thread asking for help, it was a lot easier to fix with the help of more experienced folk on the forum. Months later, I realized that I had just been interpreting all the information wrong because I wasn't used to how differently Linux worked from Windows.

So I hope you take my advice, and good luck with your problems.

cometa2k7
April 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
If it wasnt for the games I could dump windows entirely but i play games on a whim and I hate having to restart just to play it.

Have you ever tried some of the games in the Ubuntu repos? Sauerbraten, Open Arean, Alien Arena, there are absolutely load of great games.

And if your feeling a little more adventurous, you can download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory from the internet for free.

In my experience, as a casual gamer, Linux is superior to Windows. I find Windows to be slow, and lags pretty quick. I ran Enemy Territory for over 2 hours before it even showed signs of slowing down; on Windows, it takes about 15 minutes, on a superior machine.

I know people who have bought quite high performance gaming computers that will lag before mine, on exactly the same games.

And the main reason that people don't switch from Windows to Linux, is that to the average user, Windows is all there is, and the think that something that is free, can't be anywhere near as good as what they have bought. And to be honest, most people haven't heard of Linux, and don't want to have bought an operating system that they then don't use.

On a more positive note, Dell do Ubuntu.

cometa2k7
April 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
But of course, no matter how much freedom the OS affords, it's useless to you if it can't work with your wireless hardware. I'm glad, though, that you came at it with a reasonable attitude of exploration. A lot of people trying Linux after having used Windows for their entire lives are a lot more narrow minded and needlessly aggressive when it comes to trying Ubuntu or seeking support for it here at the forums.

Exactly, I used Linux because I couldn't afford Windows, and didn't really want to buy it anyway. I didn't like Windows much, even though it was all I'd known.

When I tried Linux, I liked it, but I couldn't connect to the internet. I'd downloaded a slightly basic version, wich had inadvertantly made life hard. I got PCLinuxOS, it worked, but it went wrong when I used XFCE instead of KDE. I changed to Ubuntu, and never really looked back. I had a few issues, and contemplated switching to Windows 98 instead, but I stuck with Linux.

I just prefer the freedom, and my parents' computer runs Vista, so any Windows software is usable there. I stick with Linux not only because it's free, but because of the performance, evn my old computer rans it fast enough to be better than Windows.

If I buy a laptop for choolwork later this year, I'll get Ubuntu on it, and virtual machone Windows, or dual-boot. I know that I can't leave Windows entirely for now, but I hope I'll be able to someday.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
P.S. Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors. You just sound childish to be honest. If Linux truly does stand on its own as a viable alternative, it should be able to do so without mudslinging.

quoted for truth.

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
You all are aware that Slicedbread hasn't visited the forums since last October, aren't you?

yowshi
April 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
thing is even my windows using friends call it winblows. we all were well before i switched to linux

billgoldberg
April 27th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Put it this way....

I've been a Hardcore Billy supporter for years, always upgraded, but when he *cough* "made" Vista, i didn't bother upgrading.

I stumbled across Ubuntu some years ago, but feared change, never installed it, never ran the live cd, then a friend recently ditched Whinedoze XP for ubuntu, with no regrets.

I followed suit, but promised myself, next time XP messed up, beyond my abilities to recover it, I'd format and go 100% linux.
Unfortunately this week was it, a virus got past my Nod32 installation, corrupted my LAS registry entries, and completely wiped the user database off the system. Couldn't recover even from the recover mode on the CD, so out came my Hirens disk, formatted, made a slightly larger partition and on came Ubuntu 100%.

Had a few problems when I was dual booting to begin with, such as my Res / Ref wasn't correct for the monitor, but with some studio engineering my friend, managed to sort it out. Now I'm just enjoying the fact I can click the update module, and hey presto new Up-to-date OS = Heron!
Not that I have... Yet...

Anyhoo, i'm writing this from a non-firewalled, non-anti-virus'd pc, which also makes this old 2.4Ghz cpu, with 700mb ram very fast.

So i'm enjoying it!

Ubuntu is my new best friend.. Bye Billy.

You might not need anti-virus and anti-spyware software but you do need a firewall (unless you have a hardware firewall aka properly secured router)

jaytek13
April 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM
You might not need anti-virus and anti-spyware software but you do need a firewall (unless you have a hardware firewall aka properly secured router)

Linux has a firewall built into the kernel called IP tables. The out of the box configuration for this works well for the vast majority of users. Any type of "firewall" that you would download beyond that is just a GUI frontend for the already installed IP tables.

So, while his system does require a firewall, he already has one (apparently unbeknown).

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 12:24 AM
You all are aware that Slicedbread hasn't visited the forums since last October, aren't you?

yep, that's why i'm not quoting him.

sofasurfer
April 28th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I have XP on my other machine. Windows is not worth what they charge for it and I SURE AM NOT GOING TO BUY A SECOND COPY. So I am learning linux and hopefully I will never again in my life have to pay for software.

Everywhere in life the corporations get the breaks and we the people have to shell out. Well, I say that with software, we the people should NEVER HAVE TO PAY. Let the corporation pay and let us live off their labors.

I pay taxes. Corps get breaks.
I pay the doctor. Corps sell me poison drugs.
I pay the car dealer. Corps design cars that I can not work on.
I pay the grocer. Corps put chemicals in my food to cause cancer.
And on and on.

CORPS PAY THOUSANDS FOR SOFTWARE. I GET MINE FREE.
Screw you big brother!!

mynamesforrest
April 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Webmin looks perfect, thanks for the tip I'm going to have a play with it now.

mynamesforrest
April 28th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Windows is all there is, and the think that something that is free, can't be anywhere near as good as what they have bought. And to be honest, most people haven't heard of Linux, and don't want to have bought an operating system that they then don't use.

Unfourtunately for the masses they think that Windows is the ONLY option. Just today someone showed me their computer and said "I can't find Windows on my PC". What she actually meant was she couldn't find the icon for MS Word. Office and Windows have become the de-facto standard and it's in peoples psyche'

cometa2k7
April 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Unfourtunately for the masses they think that Windows is the ONLY option. Just today someone showed me their computer and said "I can't find Windows on my PC". What she actually meant was she couldn't find the icon for MS Word. Office and Windows have become the de-facto standard and it's in peoples psyche'

Yeah, my Grandad would be well suited to Linux, he only uses the internet and e-mail. But he has used Windows since 3.1 or so.

He complains about his computer being slow, and it is, but because of Windows. He doesn't know about Linux, and my parents wouldn't want me to try to get him to switch.

I used to like Windows, it was all that I had known, but I much prefer Linux, every system can look different, and you can improve usability and change the look quite easily.

The more people that use Linux, the more companies will pay attention to it, but for now, Windows and Mac are doing best for software and compatability with hardware. But I think that more and more people will switch to Linux, and it will become a more viable option for some people, even if it is already great now.

MartinOpatrny
April 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Windows XP is good enough, for some things it is better than Linux. For some things Linux is better. It's good to have a dual boot machine or use virtualization. After XP comes Vista, after Vista comes Windows 7 (in 2010?). I know enough about Vista to say that XP is my last Windows.

Pijits_1
April 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
well its completely free which is a bonus. There's some many different kinds of software that you can get for it and its extremely customizable. A window's emulator can easily get rid of the need for windows for most cases in games and apps. But it is sometimes required to use a windows os. I like that Linux is completely community and open source based so you know that there is no greedy ulterior motive to the great software produced.

HappyHenry
April 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM

F R E E !!!! and, it's created, upgraded, supported by people who ENJOY helping people. Wow, if you have a choice of doing something with someone that wants to do the same thing and help you do it better / or / do something with someone who's only goal is to get as much money from you as possible, who are you going to do it with? The second choice, windonts, sounds like rape to me. Linux is love!

minibeardeath
April 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i just switched 2 days ago because i am lazy. basicly, for the past 6 months (basicly since i first built my computer) i have been having issues w/ xp. i have had over 30 blue/black screen of death, i have had to do at least 5 installs/re-installs, and i have had not one, but 2 RAID arrays fail because of software issues; resulting in 250gb worth of data loss (i didn't have my data backed up the first time :oops: ). due to all these problems, i had at one point loaded ubuntu onto a spare hdd as a third level backup (in case i had a failure, but did not have time to re-install xp), so when this last failure happened i just decide to bite the bullet and just use ubuntu as my primary OS (i dont even have dual boot cause i can just use my mom's comp if i desperately need to have windows). although i have only been running linux for a few days i am very happy w/ it (mainly because i havent had ANY type of failure yet *knock on wood*). my only regret is that i now have $460 worth of software that i cannot use, :( but i got a good 6 mo. out of them so all is not lost.

oh and my printer is a paperweight, but i would much rather have the support and ease of use of linux than windows and its tenacity towards un-usability

nutpants
April 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM
i am going to linux for many reasons

#1 free, as in free software, that you can trust.

#2 safe. i dont need an anti virus, and i dont need a free antivirus slowing down my computer checking EVERY file i download or EVERY file i run or every email i get so that i dont lose EVERYTHING in windows when it will happen.

#3 dont need a FREE firewall checking every program i install then telling the company that made it that i am useing it. i dont need firewalls that check to see if the software that you use is "approved" before you can go online.

#4 i dont have MircoSloth checking my system every day to ensure that their mess up from yesterday will not destroy my data.i dont have to have "winblows genuine Advantage" telling me that im pooched because i buy a new hard drive and video card because the 300$ i spend on their operating system SLOWS DOWN my computer.

#5 I dont have to pay every 2-3 years to stay with the times, just because some company has fixed 30% of the old bugs and made 40% more new bug and they feel thats a reason for a version change and to stop supporting last years software.

#6 last and most important.. i get a kick telling retail stores that i will not agree to the licence agreement when they bundle winblows with every computer i buy, then they have to decide how to replace it with equivalent value in software.

nutz

Z2.
April 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I would love to rail against M$, but I work 40 hours a week on Microsoft based servers and 3rd party software, I like the Linux community (was very hard to talk to any Linux expert a dozen or so years ago - made for a lot of frustration. Now Linux has accepted the "Friendly to the great unwashed" challenge - Mark has done tons to promote that!), an international group of enthusiasts working together to make something bigger than the some of each individual - and taking on the mightiest of Capitalist companies (shows you Capitalism is only what you allow it to be!)

I have WinXP as my primary O/S, but use Linux as my web browsing - time wasting - mental break - hobbyist O/S

sniffcrisps
April 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Slicedbread;304799]
If it wasnt for the games I could dump windows entirely but i play games on a whim and I hate having to restart just to play it. I could get used to the complexity of it. Honestly though I dont think I will switch to full install of linux or even being first on the boot up list because of the fact that I have the exact same things on windows and linux.QUOTE]

With Ubuntu 8.4 (Hardy Heron) you have the option of 'installing' Ubuntu within Windows as an application. You can then run it from within Windows, much as you would run any inherant Windows application. This option is great if you don't want to duel boot.

johngml
May 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I still use XP on my main computer as it does everything I need. I do like a change though and I love to use Ubuntu. I am pretty new to it and would have to say it is not problem free. I find that I need to use the same amount of Ram to get the same speed as XP which was surprising. The argument about antivirus, firewalls and spyware is non existant as there is a multitude of free software out there that works fine and doesn't slow down your computer. If you want to slow it down then get AOL and run Norton on it. I have never had a virus nor do I suffer spyware.
Customising XP is also very easy, installing new programs is a doddle and the naming of programs is very good. For some reason, any program designed to run on Linux seems to have a nondescript name that gives no clue as to its purpose which I find very off putting as when I want to do something it is not always easy to find the correct program. The argument about the cost of software does not arise either as just about every program I use on XP is free except for the operating system that come bundled with the computer (yes I know that the price included it). I have no intention of buying or downgrading to Vista so the updating argument is out of the window as XP has been around 7-8 years now which is longer than many Linux distro's. I have just updated from Gutsey to Hardy and unlike any Windows upgrade it is very hard to see any difference (not a complaint just stating a fact). The problem I had was it took over 10 hours to do so I won't be doing that again (five and a half hours to download on broadband and then nearly five hours to install).
The question of stability is false also as I have only ever had one blue screen on XP and that was when SP2 came out. It doesn't crash and I leave it on 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. Ubuntu appears to be reasonably stable although installing new programs can be a pain it is quite good to use. I would certainly not say it is more stable than XP. Try using Google Earth causes it to crash immediately. Some installs seem to stop before completion as well. If it was not for the people on this site that are always willing to help then I would have put XP on this machine as well. This is where I believe that the real difference between XP and Ubuntu (Linux ?) comes in and that is the dedication of the people that use it and their willingness to help. People will help you on XP but not so readily and this is why I use Ubuntu on this machine.

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
If Google Earth fails to install that is the fault of Google not Ubuntu. Also the main differences between Gutsy and Hardy are major and are mostly invisible to the end user. Linux is not the gui like Windows. Also about your software is it free or open source, as many linux apps are ported to Windows. Stability is not false, because if you crash Windows gui you will be forced to reboot. With linux it is rare you will have a system go down generally the worst that can happen is you restart x. Also for customization, I can use fluxbox kde gnome jwm icewm etc or have any of them available at once for my next boot. Then I can install any number of applications with one command, and not have to click next, or possibly agree to give whoever made the software my soul.

cometa2k7
May 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
...For some reason, any program designed to run on Linux seems to have a nondescript name that gives no clue as to its purpose which I find very off putting as when I want to do something it is not always easy to find the correct program...
I have just updated from Gutsey to Hardy and unlike any Windows upgrade it is very hard to see any difference (not a complaint just stating a fact)...
Try using Google Earth causes it to crash immediately. Some installs seem to stop before completion as well...

Programs are named by the people who make them, often as a reference to what they do, or their inspiration. For example, 'Guake' is a drop down terminal, it's GTK, and it's inspired by the terminals in Quake. Others are initialisms. Some seem obscure until you realise why they have that name, it may be a joke at something, but if you use synaptic or "Add/Remove" you can search for keywords, and go through the description.

To be honest, Hardy doesn't look that different from Gutsy, but it is underneath. What you are looking at is Gnome, or another desktop environment, you aren't looking at Hardy. Have you noticed that file operations are grouped to one window now? That's an improvement that's visible, but most are hidden from the average user, and from most users really. And anyway, would you want to learn a totally new interface? And why change something that works so well?

Problems with Google Earth will be with either Google or dependency issues. And if it is an incompatability with Hardy, then you can't use it, but no-one ever really complains about not being able to use Windows apps on Linux. Did you ever think that the problems may be with Google, and not Hardy.

Chipter
May 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I run linux at home, but Windows at work.
I'm skilled in both, they both have high and low points.

vexorian
May 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
If you have cocaine, why do you drink soda?

roypk
May 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
It's interesting.

voodoowizard
May 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I use ubuntu as my main OS and dual boot XP for games and maybe and app or two. The reason you ask? I don't have to reinstall XP every 6 months. It can now stay there and be used once and a while like it should be. First time I have had a stable xp install that has lasted over 8 months and acts like a fresh install.Of course I almost never use it.

ChameleonDave
May 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
Yeah, I have XP, but it's illegal. I prefer to use my computer and break the law as little as possible.

AmpersUK
May 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Horses for courses I guess. If everyone was happy with one operating system, there wouldn't be Windows,Mac, Unix and Linux. And the same with most things.

I think the basic difference with Windows is that it has a slow upward learning curve as you begin to explore. Linux has a higher entry level of the learning curve on the graph, but it keeps very much in a straight line.

In other words, switching from Linux to Windows would be easy for the "first time switcher" but as they progressed they would start to get more heartache. Switching from Windows to Linux means the heartache starts from day one, but eventually goes away.

Security and multi-using on Linux is so much more advanced and each file can be allowed to a user, a group of users (i.e. a department) with read only privileges, or read and write or in the case of a program, execute privileges. This is so easy for the root to set up, or the user for his own files.

Also, most programs (out of around 18,000 free linux programs) are available on Linux, so after a short time of searching you can get most of what you want from Linux. The Ubuntu depository only handles a very small part of this number. In addition you can always put in a Virtual Windows into Linux if the programs you need won't work in Wine. For instance I work with In-Design and Coreldraw. As a beginner whilst I come to terms with the learning curb of using Scribus and Inkscape respectively, I carry out heavy tasks in Windows, and smaller jobs in the Linux equivalents, which is a good way of learning.

Eventually I hope to remove my Virtual Windows program and all its legacy Windows programs completely. (I hope you appreciated my terminology here.)

Vista was my reason for moving over. Microsoft has already acknowledged their failure by announcing they are bringing their next version of Windows forward from 2010 to next year, and to counteract the rather large move over to Linux, announcing that XP Home Edition will have a new lease of life until Next year. I would hazard a guess that we may see the resignation of the Microsoft CEO within a few months, but that is another story and more to do with my day job. :-)

FaceorKneecaps
May 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Because I like making music, and ubuntu studio is crap?
So what does linux have down? Not music, not video, not pictures, not games. Like 99% of what computer users care about. But then again I like ubuntu from a consumer angle, so therefor I'm here.
And GUI. Ever wondered why linux sites looks like their last rebuilt was in 98. So why xp? design, design, design. And is that not the webs location, location, location?

I would realy love to work on linux design but no money dont pay my bills.

billgoldberg
May 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
So what does linux have down? Not music, not video, not pictures, not games. Like 99% of what computer users care about. But then again I like ubuntu from a consumer angle, so therefor I'm here.
And GUI. Ever wondered why linux sites looks like their last rebuilt was in 98. So why xp? design, design, design. And is that not the webs location, location, location?

I'm laughing loud.

Do I fancy a witty reply?

Nah.

TorqueyPete
May 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
If you have cocaine, why do you drink soda?

:lol:

The first is poison, the second is not.

valmont27
May 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
linux is super stable.. my corporate linux servers never failed on me for past 2 years whereas my windows servers kept getting slower by the day and eventually bugged.. n need formating..

x0d
May 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I use linux because its free, robust, completely modifiable, and cutting edge as far as desktop eye candy is concerned. I feel like I'm actually somewhat in control over my computer using open source linux rather than proprietary windows. Linux also allows me the ability to efficiently use my old PIII 128meg RAM laptop (running antiX which is based on mepis). I'm also working on a mythbuntu box for the living room tv which will allow my family more control over our media.

Yeah, linux is about control and choice.

This box is set up to dual-boot ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Pro SP2. I still need windows for 2 programs that I use for work: Photoshop and Virtualdub. While I have a bastardized version of Photoshop 7 running under crossover, it's not quite working perfectly. I'm starting to learn how to edit video using linux-based programs but after years of working with virtualdub I still have some way to go to become proficient with video editing under linux.

I have been hearing a lot of noise from Steve Balmer (he's truly a prince among men) that windows is moving toward highly intrusive and draconian methods to curtail piracy. This sure sounds like they plan on exercising even more control over computers that run windows.

I also have a feeling that the next versions of windows will move toward a subscription-based model where you have to pay monthly for the privilege of running windows as your OS. That will be fun, an OS as a monthly utility. Woohoo, another bill to pay!

webcoded612
May 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I am glad it is inconvinient to reboot to play games. It separates work and play to a much greater extent. NOT being able to just double-dlick something and start up a game while I'm working keeps me focused on the task at hand. (Which, right now, is posting on forums.)

That being said, I would not pay money for Windows just to play games. If there comes a time when PC games no longer run under Windows XP, I'd just buy a Playstation 3 or something. :)

Amen to that. I was in the "poor-me-I-can't-play-games-on-Linux" camp for a while, but I've noticed exactly what you pointed out: not being able to double click your work away makes you much more efficient. It's what keeps me using Linux; I can devote work time to work and game time to games, and keep the two distinctly separate.

And I think the time is here (I think the post I'm quoting here is several years old) that Windows XP and the older, non-X2/Quad processors can't run new PC games (Assassins Creed, for instance, or GTAIV)...so I'll go get a PS3 or Xbox360 (though I hesitate with that, being Microsoft and all) to play games. Devote the computer to - gasp! - computing! Not playing!

Anyway...go Linux! :)

webcoded612
May 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think the basic difference with Windows is that it has a slow upward learning curve as you begin to explore. Linux has a higher entry level of the learning curve on the graph, but it keeps very much in a straight line.

In other words, switching from Linux to Windows would be easy for the "first time switcher" but as they progressed they would start to get more heartache. Switching from Windows to Linux means the heartache starts from day one, but eventually goes away.

I had this exact discussion with a friend of mine the other day. He's using Wubi to try out Linux, whereas I started with Ubuntu several versions ago, doing partitioned drives and dual booting the old fashioned way. He loved Linux from go, but it took me a long time to love it. I attributed this to the fact that he started Linux from day one with no problems (Wubi is the answer to the broken Ubuntu installer, IMO), so he was installing Linux and then "using" Linux.

Me...I'm used to installing Linux and then "fixing" it (i.e. editing config files (especially xorg), downloading obscure packages, etc.).

You put this idea more eloquently though. Windows is very user-friendly, which is why it's so popular with the masses. You need very little knowledge of computers to navigate your way through XP (even Vista) and get simple tasks done.

Linux is not that way; as you said, you need a much more in-depth knowledge of how your PC works. But...nothing worth having is easy, so the fact that Linux requires more understanding/involvement from the user is, I think, a good thing.

:))

JohnLM_the_Ghost
May 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Windows is very user-friendly, which is why it's so popular with the masses. You need very little knowledge of computers to navigate your way through XP (even Vista) and get simple tasks done.

Linux is not that way; as you said, you need a much more in-depth knowledge of how your PC works. But...nothing worth having is easy, so the fact that Linux requires more understanding/involvement from the user is, I think, a good thing.

I must agree!

I tend to think like this:

Imagine one (or very few) tools of art (whatever they may be)
You don't need to think much about it's using and you can make decent artwork after a little while.

On other hand if you have lots of them, you need practice and knowledge about everyone's purpose and usage. But after getting a good grasp over tools at your disposal, you can make great artwork.

As for actual topic question, I'm going to quote a bit of my former post.

However there is a few but strong reasons I use Linux:
1. I actually like the concept of Ubuntu and/or Open-source philosophies
2. I kind of hate Microsoft. LOL (This might not be real reason)
3. I always like to learn something new.
4. Linux is very useful when you need to "rescue" data of broken PC. (with use of LiveCD)
5. There's a lot of tasks I prefer to do with Linux, like video compression - linux utilities (AviDeMux, mkvtoolnix) really beat Windows ones.
6. Possibilites of Customization
7. Improved Security

vexorian
May 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM

Mon ami, it looks like you are answering the wrong question.

Anyways, I should know... Linux got games, music and pictures. I can assure you that

Alyxandor
May 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Here's MY three cents:

One: I don't care about desktop users or people who don't really know what they are doing. Yes, I know the whole point of open-source is to destroy corporate tyranny. I, for one, will not wait any longer for the "regular desktop user" to overcome the advertising campaigns of huge multi-nationals like Dell or Futureshop.

Two: The currency of the twenty-first century is human consciousness. It is the single driving factor of all that we call our world. In order to effect this system of thought, one must use media. Web, audio, visual, algorithmic, you name it... We need it. And the people on forums like this are the ONLY way one can make media with files that don't contain embedded security footprints that tell forensic investigators whether that media was made on pirated, paid for or free software. I can't afford Reason 3.0 or Photoshop 1001 Service Pack Seven, so I download Ubunutu Studio.

Three: Some advanced programs can only run on Windows. If and when I can afford such things, I will pay the necessary funds only AFTER I scour the Internet for an open-source alternative. And why would I do this? Because I know how easy it is to track what kind of software is running and legally activated. Copyright laws aren't there to nab the audio-and-video-philes who steal media. It's there to muzzle any media that isn't corporate-friendly, and when investigators decrypt my media, it will all be open source.

PS - And when I push an open-source app beyond it's limit and make it crash, I can send useful information back to a developer who cares. I don't know about you, but I happen to LIKE bug reports where someone tells me what kind of mad shyte it took to make an app crash...

amirman
May 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I like the fact that all my software and my OS are updated regularly
also the tech support community is great
also i like the fact that you can configure practically everything to your own desires.

x0d
May 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
and when investigators decrypt my media, it will all be open source.

true enough, true enough.

the saying goes something like "information should be free". 8)

Alyxandor
May 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
the saying goes something like "information should be free". 8)

Aye, in truth... None of my media is really encrypted. Kinda pointless obscufating open-source art, eh?

Frak
May 4th, 2008, 05:20 PM

47.5% of statistics are made up.

I know for a fact that most of the market cares for more productivity of the office kind. If they can pass a file faster and safer to someone else for as cheap as they can, thats what they will, at least try to, use.

We have game consoles
We have Macs
We have paying careers in Linux development (RedHat, Novell, Microsoft, Canonical, etc.)

Nice trying to spread FUD though.

Frak
May 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, I know the whole point of open-source is to destroy corporate tyranny...

That's just a nice side-effect.

EDIT
I just double-posted, sorry.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
47.5% of statistics are made up.

:lolflag:

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I use Linux because it makes me more computer savvy and it excites my curiosity all the time. I can customize it like I want, to do what I want (well, for the most part).

The best thing is, my desktop improves all the time.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
You put this idea more eloquently though. Windows is very user-friendly, which is why it's so popular with the masses. You need very little knowledge of computers to navigate your way through XP (even Vista) and get simple tasks done.

As much as I agree with you (see post above), I can't help but take this as the major hindrance for Linux. If the basic/average user needs to be trained more with Linux than XP, corporations won't want to waste the time, energy or money to train their people and in the long run, they'll keep on buying MS licenses. For clarification, I'm speaking of end-users on desktop versions of Linux, not IT trained personnels administrating servers.

UNaruto1990
May 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I am currently using Ubuntu because I can't use windows lol, but hey, Ubuntu is running semi perfectly on my ****** hardwares when my Windows couldn't even show me the loader at the beginning, that tells something right?

I have a question though, is there any animation program like Flash that I can make some stick movies in lolz? in Ubuntu 8.04 of course...

Barriehie
May 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I'm using Linux because I had reached the end of my last nerve with buying 'another' install CD for XP. I was into the MS Flight Sim thing online and would occasionally have the HD trashed from the myriad of programs running to do online flight. I finally said screw it and dl'ed the LiveCD and within 30 minutes had blown away my XP install. Might have been rather hasty but within 2 weeks I had found the Ubuntu apps to do what I was doing with the other program.

Now I'm all absorbed into hosting my webpage(s) on my machine and have the FS stuff in a box!

Barrie

k33bz
May 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I love linux, and onlyuse windows for gaming, but more and more i use windows less for that. other than that,if i go somewhere,like work, i am forced to use that OS.

everything should be Linux

MasterNetra
May 5th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Well, I've had my copy of XP for years, quite a bit before I jumped into Linux. I'm trying to get my $120 worth before I decide to ditch it.

And the other reason I dual-boot is I can learn a bit more each day gradually rather than just jumping in. I do know enough now to ditch XP for good, but I'm just not ready yet. :-|

Besides, quite a few people here would freak out if Windows went missing.. ](*,)

Edit: For the record, I don't keep XP around for games. My machine is fairly nice but isn't gaming material (What over half a year old isn't anymore :( ). No worries, gaming is what my PS2 and Gameboy are for :D

And there are Linux Emulators for those too! For the DS at least i know i stubled across one somewhere in Synaptic Package Manager.

I wish though wine could run 3Ds Max 8 at least... I use that in my college classes. I know there is Blender but Blender isn't the program I'm learning. After college though Linux will be all I will need.

linxuser14
May 5th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'd say why run either? I like dual boot but, I don't like rebooting to use the other OS. M$ doesn't run (K)Ubuntu but I read you can run M$ within linux. That'd be kool. I'd like to seamlessly be able to switch between the two when I find a need only I don't think (K)Ubuntu has a good way to hibernate. The reason for it for me is to get to running system quicker from boot. (K)Ubuntu seems to take just as long to start from hibernate as from shut down, and from shut down it restarts apps that were previously running too. Anyone know how to write a script to run pppd and when finished, run a desktop app. I use kppp ((K)Ubuntu) but it doesn't communicate with my modem until after I run and stop pppd in terminal.

:guitar:

Captain Oblivious
May 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I ditched XP and got Ubuntu after my computer got infected with viruses.

soul500l
May 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Well, I really really feel like Windows XP does have some advantages of their own, and Ubuntu has some advantages of their own.

The only thing that I have experienced is this:

Ubuntu really uses my brain well. I need to look for the information that I need. I need to dig for it. There are NOT a lot of information now because FEW people use it.

But, what about the future? Hmmm...

I guess Ubuntu is free. A lot of people are using it. And a lot of people are going to be familiar with it. More of us want to place helpful blogs about how to fix some problems. I spend more time getting technical information, or maybe discover the things I want to do with my computer.

Windows users may get on with their life making somebody do things for them. They may want to use the facility. Fix this... Fix that... You know anybody who fix this? How much is it going to cost?

I think Ubuntu users are always going to be smarter in techy things. Windows would probably be smarter in making others do the work. They would rather spend time on their other passion.

If Ubuntu is not really somebody's passion and I mean, doing techy stuff, and people want to go on with their life... they're just welcome to do so.

My answer is... WHEREVER YOUR PASSION IS. My passion is both entertaining myself and building some techy knowledge. So, I guess that's why I used Ubuntu.

TorqueyPete
May 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I ditched XP and got Ubuntu after my computer got infected with viruses.

Amen to that! :)

andrew.co.za
May 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I love these threads, they always draw in two billion replies. Probably started by Linux veterans posing as windows lovers just to stir up the "why i love ubuntu" feelings in people.

Bottom line:
Ubuntu is a better operating system than windows or macOS is every way. I have never paid for windows but i would gladly pay for Ubuntu.

cometa2k7
May 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Whilst doing some rather important coursework, Vista crashed badly about 3 times. But when I was doing some on Linux, I was running WAY more programs, and it didn't crash once.

That's why I use Linux and not Windows. Stability, the ability to run loads of programs, and not have a single one crash on me.

jerrallan
May 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
1. Basically, to learn something new.
2. I kind of like to fiddle around with the command line. Oh how I fondly remember the days of DOS. Linux is more powerful
3. I liked the features of Dapper Drake, and 8.04 seems to be an
improvement.

Why don't I switch 100% to Linux

1. Windows has some apps that I need to use for my hobby and are not available in Linux. They are not simple programs, so they wouldn't run on wine.

2. The big reason-- Linux has poor support for printers. Need to have
XP to print

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Windows is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

gnomemercy
May 7th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Well said Slicebread! I am a gamer, but I will boot linux to do anything on the web/newsgroups/mail..well anything that is internet.
I have been using linux a long time now and I have seen this OS grow and grow, Even Bill Gates house security system is linux, he wouldn't trust that to windows /snicker. So I say start getting use to linux, because one day the games will be made for linux just by popular demand.

Ian Clark
May 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I used mac from age ten to twenty four. I liked mac in the early days, but then something crossed a line with power macs, when you ordered "shut down" and it would wait and wait. If there was a freeze up the power button wouldn't work. That freaked me out. I didn't like the idea that my computer didn't obey my basic commands.

Then after I came to China it was impossible to maintain a mac, so I was forced into XP. I used windows and XP all the way until 2008, for a total of 9 years. Because aside from windoze products genuine software simply isn't sold here, the method of upgrading and getting apps was: look on several spammy sites, click several links for downloads for a few hours until one works, get the keygen in the same manner, then maybe after a few days you'll have the program installed - though it's probably buggy and you can do zero anything about it. You'd literally spend days getting a program. You'd also spend about 30% of your computing time avoiding viruses and spyware. I remember spending a lot of time and computing power scanning my computer. You could never fix anything yourself, but had to download new programs and bloat your computer more. Every 3 to 6 months you'd have to wipe your C drive.

Aside from all this, perhaps something that people don't mention much here (because most of the posters are rich Americans, lol) is the whole moral aspect of Ubuntu. I get great software and it's free. I can collaborate by doing bug reports and translations (or whatever I can contribute). Because I'm in China and piracy is the mainstream way, Linux gave me the only choice NOT to steal my software.

Most of my apps are replaced by Linux programs now. Hardware is hit and miss - my printer is a Samsung, which came with a driver, but my audio board is a MAYA, which I guess I wasted 100 bucks on. So what? I can buy a new board that's compatible. I can't use Sibelius on Linux, but with all the advantages I have with the Ubuntu system, I'd rather just write my scores out by hand! Another program I lost was Windows Movie Maker - which is buggy, crashes a lot, and is frankly very stupid. But it works with anything you throw at it. Cinelerra is too professional. OME is an upcoming option, tho.

With 7.10, I had a great shut down experience. My puter would literally shut down instantly (tho Hardy isn't as fast now). By using Linux, I find that my computer obeys commands again, just like my mac back in 1985. Overall it's a much faster, friendlier, customized, moral experience than XP.

BTW "XP" has a very dirty meaning in Chinese.

joe.turion64x2
May 7th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Whilst doing some rather important coursework, Vista crashed badly about 3 times. But when I was doing some on Linux, I was running WAY more programs, and it didn't crash once.

That's why I use Linux and not Windows. Stability, the ability to run loads of programs, and not have a single one crash on me.
I really pity people who have to rely solely on Vista, for me it is like traveling aboard a crappy boat you don't know when it's gonna sink.

I got a spare HDD for my laptop and had been playing with Vista Home Basic on it. It is funny just to play with it (games have improved :lolflag:) fortunately Linux is there for everything else.

elustran
May 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Is Linux better than Windows? I don't know yet... there are a lot of aspects of Ubuntu that are like a breath of fresh air after using Windows and MacOS. I love Debian repositories and the customizability of the system. I like that an effort has been made to explain things and lay things out in a clear and direct manner; config files are well commented, packages are well described, and there are these wonderful forums. I get the feeling that a good Linux distro would be easier for a new user to grasp than Windows.

All that said, Windows is still more usable than Linux. There is just as much, if not more, free software, open-source or otherwise, and many other things. Overall, windows seeems to work out of the box more easily than Ubuntu (I can't speak for Vista, however).

There are some things that are frustrating about working in linux... for instance, if I want to edit a protected file, I can't open it from the GUI (not that I mind the command line, but others might not like changing gears all the time). I haven't had a linux installation that did everything I wanted straight out of the box. Proprietary drivers are a pain to deal with. I tried Mandrake years ago, but gave up on it because nothing would work properly and I couldn't find enough help or easy documentation.

I would have given up on Ubuntu if I couldn't get help.

cometa2k7
May 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
...There are some things that are frustrating about working in linux... for instance, if I want to edit a protected file, I can't open it from the GUI (not that I mind the command line, but others might not like changing gears all the time)...

Have you ever tried to use the command

sudo nautilus

That will open an instance of Nautilus with super-user priveleges. Any file opened from this window will be opened by root, and give you root permissions. But it is generally easier to do
sudo gedit /path/path/path/file

jmore9
May 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Well I for one have had winxp pro since i bought it on the first night it was released at compusa. Now that was what 6 or 7 years ago. I have had to reinstall it more times then i can remember. It is more than 3 that i know.

After you reinstall i think it is 4 times you have to call Microsoft up and ask their permission !!. Before the first year was up i was doing that almost every three months. That is one reason.

Now i only keep winxp pro around to run my pinnacle 800i and ati tv wonder 650 pro HDTV tuner cards. As soon as i get one or both working under linux
i plan to do away with windows altogether . As i said earlier the only thing i cannot do under linux is use the 2 HDTV tuner cards everything else i have a compatible piece of software.

For example office software -- i use koffice works fine lasts a long time
dvd playback is also working. There are a lot of picture tuning and cropping apps for linux. There a lot of video editing apps for linux. The list goes on and on.

If you were to purchase the compariable apps in windows for winxp you would spend al least $2500.00 min. Theres another reason for linux lots of choices.

And each version of linux is getting easier and easier to install and run.
thats why i use linux and winxp

legocorp
May 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Well i stoped using windows because one person has so many problems in life, at least i don't need to have them in my pc. Simplified my life! (really, im a happier person now :P)

tobypwnsyou
May 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I love the built in ability to SSH into my campus's computers and do programming work from home, don't need to deal with exceed...

vexorian
May 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
run applet:
gksu gedit /path/path/file.ext

I prefer that one.

All that said, Windows is still more usable than Linux. There is just as much, if not more, free software, open-source or otherwise, and many other things. Overall, windows seeems to work out of the box more easily than Ubuntu (I can't speak for Vista, however).Do you come from reverse land? See the link in my signature, it is all written in satirical tone but it IS a true story.

shirokurokun
May 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Why?
I hate both virus and antivirus software. They run in background consuming my precious resources. Knowing that linux is virus free, I switched to it.
Before installing it, I was in a panic searching for my hardware drivers, but after I read that there is a way to run windows drivers, I installed it. I was surprised that it didn't need any driver to run my system. The only driver it needed was for my video card. As for games, wine is able to run directx 9, counter-strike 1.6 and guilty gear xx #reload perfectly so it isn't an issue here. Mplayer is a nice video player and it plays my mkv files faster than windows media player 11 or media player classic. I got that issue in windows that playing video files at resolutions 1280 x 900 or greater is choppy. I thought it was my hardware, but it was my video players that had gone wrong. And amarok is cool too!

Desterie
May 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Had it stayed Windows XP, I probably would not have given Linux a second thought. I first stumbled over Linux back in 2005 while surfing ebay. I ordered a packet of several Linux distros. I thought some were cute, Some locked up my system. But I didnt really see anything that would have prompted me to leave my XP.

Well Windows made the decission to leave XP for me. I liked XP, but Vista just plain sux. The sheer size of the OS alone uses up 25gigs of hard drive space. Its slow, its a memory hog and it isn't worth the price of the upgrade. The whole Vista thing was about security, well that didnt last long.

So now I have looked into Linux again. Started of looking at Linspire. I ordered a "Linux XP" disk (Freespire) off of Ebay which also came with an Ubuntu 7.10 disk. I tried them both, I liked Ubuntu better. Probably because it didn't look like widows (I like change). It seems Linux has come a long way in the last 3 years. Now I hope I can find all I need to completely leave Windows behind.

cometa2k7
May 8th, 2008, 06:48 PM
So now I have looked into Linux again. Started of looking at Linspire. I ordered a "Linux XP" disk (Freespire) off of Ebay which also came with an Ubuntu 7.10 disk. I tried them both, I liked Ubuntu better. Probably because it didn't look like widows (I like change). It seems Linux has come a long way in the last 3 years. Now I hope I can find all I need to completely leave Windows behind.

Linspire isn't really te most secure version of Linux, they wanted to copy Windows, and it kind of messes up Linux. Linux is about freedom, why passively promote Windows by makeing it look like Windows, and act like Windows. Use Linux because it's Linux, not because it looks like Windows. But Gutsy is a very cool distro, have you thought of trying Hardy?

Oh, and about Vista, I'll second how much it sucks. It's all flash and WOW to start with, but it doesn't like some software, and it's a pain when it crashes. And when it crashes, it really crashes.

Tezac
May 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have just "UPGRADED" from XP to Ubuntu 8.04. I am a complete newbie in Linux but have been using Microsoft since year "." (A long time). My personal gripes are, every time I had to replace a H/D on a windows system I had to buy a new copy of the operating system. This is because the "System Restore Disk" relies on data stored on a hidden partition on the installed H/D. Thus replacing the H/D means System restore disk is worthless. More than that, a few years ago, I was invited to beta test the new office suite. I had to pay (Half Price) for the privilage but I got to keep the software. Or so I thought! So I did. I was doing Uni work at the time and all my work was in "The new format". After a period of time I had a message come up in Office saying the Beta trial was over and I had to pay to upgrade to the new office suite, (Full Price). So I was faced with a choice. Upgrade and pay, or loose all my Uni work in the new format that I could no longer access. My veiw is once I have paid for something I want to use it! If I have to change a H/D I don't expect to have to pay AGAIN for the software that has already been paid for. As for Office, well, you can make up your own mind. As for Linux, I have jumped in with both feet. My system was wiped and Ubuntu installed. That was Just over a month ago. I still haven't got my WiFi working yet and still trawling the forums to find an answer.
So in answer to your question, "If you have XP, why do you use linux" The answer is simple.
Firstly, THE LINUX COMMUNITY SPIRIT. Secondly THE PRICE OF UPGRADING A H/D. Thirdly, Knowing whatever happens with upgrades, I will always have access to my work.
Yes! I am really struggling with Linux at the moment, fumbling around in the dark so to speak, but as yet, I have no regrets!

Tezac
May 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I have just "UPGRADED" from XP to Ubuntu 8.04. I am a complete newbie in Linux but have been using Microsoft since year "." (A long time). My personal gripes are, every time I had to replace a H/D on a windows system I had to buy a new copy of the operating system. This is because the "System Restore Disk" relies on data stored on a hidden partition on the installed H/D. Thus replacing the H/D means System restore disk is worthless. More than that, a few years ago, I was invited to beta test the new office suite. I had to pay (Half Price) for the privilage but I got to keep the software. Or so I thought! So I did. I was doing Uni work at the time and all my work was in "The new format". After a period of time I had a message come up in Office saying the Beta trial was over and I had to pay to upgrade to the new office suite, (Full Price). So I was faced with a choice. Upgrade and pay, or loose all my Uni work in the new format that I could no longer access. My veiw is once I have paid for something I want to use it! If I have to change a H/D I don't expect to have to pay AGAIN for the software that has already been paid for. As for Office, well, you can make up your own mind. As for Linux, I have jumped in with both feet. My system was wiped and Ubuntu installed. That was Just over a month ago. I still haven't got my WiFi working yet and still trawling the forums to find an answer.
So in answer to your question, "If you have XP, why do you use linux" The answer is simple.
Firstly, THE LINUX COMMUNITY SPIRIT. Secondly THE PRICE OF UPGRADING A H/D. Thirdly, Knowing whatever happens with upgrades, I will always have access to my work.
Yes! I am really struggling with Linux at the moment, fumbling around in the dark so to speak, but as yet, I have no regrets!

Ichido
May 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
That's an excellent questions that I have been asking myself for 4 years now.
My answer is that I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1525n with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-loaded!
I partition the 120GB hard drive in half and now I can Dual Boot with Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04 (which is my O.S. of Choice) :)
I also just Installed Ub*8.04 onto my Desktop PC also!
I'll never go back to M$ Windoze again!
No Viruses, No Crashes, No Defraging, NO Windoze, No Gates, Free Software, Really-Really Cool O.S., just to name a few benefits!
Thank you Ubuntu & Canonical Ltd.
Now where is that "Donate to Ubuntu" Button?

Ichido
May 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I have just "UPGRADED" from XP to Ubuntu 8.04. I am a complete newbie in Linux but have been using Microsoft since year "."
My system was wiped and Ubuntu installed. That was Just over a month ago. I still haven't got my WiFi working yet and still trawling the forums to find an answer.

Search for the Specific Wifi "Card, PCMCIA, Mini-Card,etc" that you have.
Is your System a Laptop or Desktop, and what are the System/Hardware Specs?
Try opening a Terminal and type "sudo ipconfig" without the quotes and post the results.
I had some Wifi Connection problems but they are solved now.

imtrekd
May 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM
To play Windows based seems to be the biggest reason. If someone could create an environment or program in Ubuntu (something small and easy) where the games thinks its running on Windows, Microsoft would send out their lawyers like killer bees from a hive.

psychotux
May 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm using Vista because I like Hasle Free as the starter said Gaming.
Wine and Cedega are a PITA... Never could get them to work right....

I've not had one prob with Vista as others say they have...

BUT... I use Linux ie: Ubuntu because of the office/graphics apps, are of a much better quality then anything for Windows..

If it wasn't for Gaming I'd ditch Windows all together.

psychotux
May 9th, 2008, 02:05 AM
To play Windows based seems to be the biggest reason. If someone could create an environment or program in Ubuntu (something small and easy) where the games thinks its running on Windows, Microsoft would send out their lawyers like killer bees from a hive.

Agreed....:KS

MedellinManDem
May 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Agreed....:KS

Isn't that what Wine does?

Frak
May 9th, 2008, 02:25 AM
You are spot-on. Plus, MS knows they can't do anything about it.

MedellinManDem
May 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Ah, I see. The response was irony.

popch
May 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
If someone could create an environment or program in Ubuntu (something small and easy) where the games thinks its running on Windows...

You are spot-on. ..

Actually, it's what Wine is supposed to become, one day. There are still quite a few applications which do not run well or not at all in Wine. Also, Wine is not 'small and easy' and it's not likely to become so.

autocrosser
May 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Gamers rejoice!! Looks like Steam has seen the "light"

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

enbuyukfener
May 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM
My reasons:

Package management (especially useful for updates, upgrades and languages)
Security / stability / reliability / performance
Ability to customise
Much more productive
Looks better
Enlightened me as a computer user
Opened me up to more of the open source wonders
Experience with the OS of the future (government/educational adoption, migration to web apps and cross platform apps through Java and AIR, etc. are triggering exponential growth for non-Windows systems, which will remove Windows' main advantage and give Linux what it needs - more users and thus more contributors and manufacturer/vendor/developer support)
It's fun

Also, why I don't use Windows:

I share computer with a much less technically and visibly capable user who doesn't speak much English and Windows is a pain with trying to get a multi-language set up. Windows won't even allow setting a separate screen resolution for both users. Said user also would have many problems with the countless dialogs and security notices and allow/deny messages
Hardware support. Ubuntu was much better and got everything running out of the box, Windows required fiddling with CDs and drivers, one driver CD I misplaced and the installer for the downloadable version would not run so I was stuck there. The CPU makes an insufferable high pitched squeal on Windows only and this is also transmitted through the headphone jack.
Bad ratio between capabilities and resource consumption

tamoneya
May 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
let me explain

tamoneya@svn:~$ uptime
02:42:43 up 58 days, 8:16, 4 users, load average: 1.04, 1.03, 1.00

Try doing that in windows XP

elustran
May 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Some points need clarification here:

I like using the command line. It's usually nice, quick, gets the job done, I can copy and paste commands, I can pass various arguments to programs and if I know what I'm doing, I can make a string of programs pass output to eachother. Can't do that as well in a GUI.

However, a GUI is intuitive. If I don't quite know how to do something, the command for a program, or where something is, I'd rather use the GUI.

Ubuntu will be okay for the regular user when you can edit and save xorg.conf without resorting to the command line.

Ubuntu will be good for the regular user when you don't have to look at any configuration files to get things working.

Everybody knows that the major problem with Linux is its range of software. I know there's a lot of great stuff, but most of it just doesn't cut it compared to the big boys, most of whom don't publish on Linux.

Linux needs a few killer apps to get its foot in the door. It's already developing better basic usability and already has enough software to admirably perform all of the basic desktop functions. It just needs something jaw-dropping to get more users to make the switch. There has to be something significant that you can do more easily with linux than you can with Windows (and don't parrot,"security")...

Let's hope Wine gets better. That'll help things a bit.

NightwishFan
May 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM
As for Wine, as much as it is an absurdly awesome program, supporting it heavily will delay Linux clients for software in the long run. About killer apps, I would think it just needs to be generally understood that it is not a cheap ripoff of Windows.

gn2
May 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
On January 1st I erased my Windows Xp partitions.

I still own a genuine Xp product key which I paid good money for.

I only use Linux now, simply because I prefer it to Windows.

shirokurokun
May 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'm always the adventurous guy and sometimes will do stupid things. I didn't know about linux and I don't know much about CLI but I didn't spare a single thought on scrapping windows. I did just hop-in and get things working for me in Ubuntu.
I'm using Xubuntu and I love the fail-safe terminal mode.
I'll just type in x-window-manager in the terminal and that allows multitasking in it. Just press alt+f2 so you can run applications or open a new terminal.

ripin1
May 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
i am an eleven year old computer geek. i installed Ubuntu with absolutely no knowledge of how to work Linux. and in the proses of installing it, i killed my windows xp pro partition. at first i was really mad and frustrated but then i started to get used to Ubuntu. now i don't plan to ever go back to windows, though if i had the chance, i would totally do the dual-boot with windows so that i could play games. but then again, that IS what the wii is for.

shirokurokun
May 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
let me explain

tamoneya@svn:~$ uptime
02:42:43 up 58 days, 8:16, 4 users, load average: 1.04, 1.03, 1.00

Try doing that in windows XP

Good one, I'm just using it(XP) for a few hours and it crashes.
BSOD is BSOD
OH! how afraid I am of seeing that in my screen.

Desterie
May 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Linspire isn't really te most secure version of Linux, they wanted to copy Windows, and it kind of messes up Linux. Linux is about freedom, why passively promote Windows by makeing it look like Windows, and act like Windows. Use Linux because it's Linux, not because it looks like Windows. But Gutsy is a very cool distro, have you thought of trying Hardy?

Actually I just bought a brand new Dell 1521. I never even powered it up, I just fliped it over, removed the hard drive containing Vista, put in a fresh hard drive an installed Gutsy. I liked the look and feel, but the sound didnt work. Now I got Heron and everything seems to work smoothly as far as I can tell.

Ichido
May 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=cometa2k7;4912069]Linspire isn't really te most secure version of Linux, they wanted to copy Windows, and it kind of messes up Linux. Linux is about freedom, why passively promote Windows by makeing it look like Windows, and act like Windows. Use Linux because it's Linux, not because it looks like Windows. But Gutsy is a very cool distro, have you thought of trying Hardy?

Linspire came from Lindows (Linux-Windows),which was a Linux Version of Windows so any one could easily switch to Linux without fear or a big learning curve.
I used several Linspire Versions for 3 yearsand had a "Gold" CNR subscription for 4 years. (Yea, I lost $49 when Linspire switched to Linspire 6.0).
I purchased the Linspire Desktop PC (for $199 from Micro Center) because I was fed up with M$ Windoze which I had used since 1985 (windows 3.1 & DOS 6.0).
I liked the "Windows-Like" look of Linspire and it was extremely easy to run and use.
I switched my main O.S. over to Kubuntu 6.06 last year.
When I purchased my new Dell 1525n Laptop which came with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed, I converted my 3 PCs use Ubuntu 8.04, and they all love it :)

psychotux
May 10th, 2008, 01:31 AM
My reasons:

Bad ratio between capabilities and resource consumption
[/LIST]

None truer said statement.

Frak
May 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM

Linspire came from Lindows (Linux-Windows),which was a Linux Version of Windows so any one could easily switch to Linux without fear or a big learning curve.
I used several Linspire Versions for 3 yearsand had a "Gold" CNR subscription for 4 years. (Yea, I lost $49 when Linspire switched to Linspire 6.0).
I purchased the Linspire Desktop PC (for $199 from Micro Center) because I was fed up with M$ Windoze which I had used since 1985 (windows 3.1 & DOS 6.0).
I liked the "Windows-Like" look of Linspire and it was extremely easy to run and use.
I switched my main O.S. over to Kubuntu 6.06 last year.
When I purchased my new Dell 1525n Laptop which came with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed, I converted my 3 PCs use Ubuntu 8.04, and they all love it :)
Linspire *is* Lindows, they had to change their name for legal reasons. It really wasn't a Linux version of Windows as much as a Windows adaptation of Linux.

piobair
May 10th, 2008, 03:28 AM
A few decades ago, an IT professional said, "Windows is user friendly, expert hostile. Unix is user hostile, expert friendly." Linux today is not nearly as "user hostile" as it used to be, and Windows is more expert hostile than it used to be.

TANSTAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch). Instead of paying money for an operating system, you expend learning time. There is a reason that 2/3 of the web servers in the world use a flavor of Unix. When downtime costs money, Unix is dependable. Protestations to the contrary, Windows is not. I recently replaced a dieing motherboard in my Windows box. It took an IT professional 3 hours to reload XP Pro. Fortunately, I bought the motherboard locally, so they only charged me $20.

Security: NSA and NASA took some Government money and hardened the separation between root and user in Linux. (now Ubuntu wants to put them back together with SUDO, but that's another issue). The latest kernel separates them even farther. The point is that even if a virus trashes your user account, it cannot trash the operating system. Since it is very hard to trash your user account without first trashing the root account, that makes your user account much safer than Windows can possibly be.

Piobair

shrinathk87
May 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
well i am stuck with XP only bcuz of YAHOO MESSENGER...

pidgin does not provide IMvironments and file transfer options and a few more thngs that yahoo messenger provides...

i know its a silly reason...but..everyone has their own reasons..

and i am not sure if yahoo messenger running on WINE works in the same way as in windows....so..still using XP..

and for all the game lovers...

i think there is a thing called CEDEGA for playin windows games on linux...

and also there are many virtualization softwares to run windows INSIDE linux...so maybe u can run your games from INSIDE WINDOWS INSIDE LINUX...

but CEDEGA is the choice of many ppl for playin windows games in linux..

Thanks !

enbuyukfener
May 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
pidgin does not provide IMvironments and file transfer options and a few more thngs that yahoo messenger provides...
Not sure what those things are exactly but have you tried other options? Kopete seems to be more featured than Pidgin for example.

i think there is a thing called CEDEGA for playin windows games on linux...
Not free unfortunately

and also there are many virtualization softwares to run windows INSIDE linux...so maybe u can run your games from INSIDE WINDOWS INSIDE LINUX...
Poor performance though... you'd need a very good computer to come close to what you need and even then, you'd be better off booting into Windows.

scouser73
May 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ubuntu is far superior than anything Microsoft can produce, speaking as a former XP user I had bugs, and was always needing to tweak the system to get the right configuration, only for hours later to be doing the same thing. I accidentally wiped the partition of XP, and it's been the best mistake I've ever made seeing how great Ubuntu is, especially Hardy.

mshiva
May 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Windows XP was not so bad to me, afterall I learnt about computers with it, it was the first OS I got to use, and now after trying previous versions of Windows and also Vista, I've begun loving XP.

And Ubuntu never works for me, now I'm a happy puppy user, with XP dual boot.

brwrdrvr
May 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I am a Sys Admin in a Windows environment for work. After fixing user's problems at work, I don't feel like doing the same thing at home on the wife and daughter's computer.

They were running WinXP for a long time and at least once a month (sometimes more) I would have to clean out all the malware from music sites and other sites similar to them. Finally I put Ubuntu on their machine and only have had to sit at it a few times. Once because my daughter removed the main menu which was easily fixed by adding it back to the panel. Don't get me wrong I know that malware is still present, but it is more easily managed in Linux and more easily removed.

I still have a Windows partition on my desktop and only boot into it when I need to work in VB (since last weekend I got VPNC and RDesktop talking to my network and Windows 2003 server at the shop). The reasons I boot into Windows are getting slimmer and slimmer with the more I learn about using/administering Linux.

Each OS has their ups and downs, for me, I am finding less downs using Ubuntu. I keep trying to do the same things in Ubuntu I did in windows and that helps me to learn and over come my decencies on windows.

Frak
May 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Not sure what those things are exactly but have you tried other options? Kopete seems to be more featured than Pidgin for example.

IMvironments is a background/theming engine for Yahoo! Messenger. It is only available on Yahoo! Messenger. There is no current Messenger for Linux from Yahoo!, so you would need to run this under Wine or just use Windows.

Not free unfortunately

You have Linux, you want Windows functionality. You can either go free (Wine) or go near guarantee working (Cedega). That extra guarantee (and proprietary libraries that work under Wine, created by Microsoft) costs money.

Poor performance though... you'd need a very good computer to come close to what you need and even then, you'd be better off booting into Windows.

You can't run graphical games in Virtual Machines. Period. Only VMWare on OS X and Windows come close, but is still VERY laggy. VMWare has no desire to port this to Linux as of yet.

vexorian
May 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Actually, it's what Wine is supposed to become, one day. There are still quite a few applications which do not run well or not at all in Wine. Also, Wine is not 'small and easy' and it's not likely to become so.
WINE is quite small for what it does, it is also easy. I love WINE, I can edit warcraft III maps and play GTA:SA and that covers about all the gaming I needed.

riyasmp
May 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hi guys

i have been using ubuntu for a year now. and i am fan of it now. but it doesnt stop me telling how horrible things can be with linux. It is a powerful, smooth OS for professionals indeed but not for an average user like me.

u can fix things to an extend but not all. u get a link when u ask for help but that is not enough and might not work even. My webcam, scanner, printer, navigator and mobile phone doesnt work with ubuntu. Once i got funny reply to this Q of mine.it is not the problem with the ubuntu but with the companies.good!!!!!!!!!!

I am forced to switch to xp when i want to do real stuff on computer. With great passion i upgraded to 8 04. real player was removed during the process and now there is no way to get around it.

i lost flash player completly when i updated firefox. I am not a genius to understand what the problem is.

but i enjoy spendin my free time just to fix UBUNTU lol........thats the only enjoyment.

Frak
May 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hi guys

i have been using ubuntu for a year now. and i am fan of it now. but it doesnt stop me telling how horrible things can be with linux. It is a powerful, smooth OS for professionals indeed but not for an average user like me.

u can fix things to an extend but not all. u get a link when u ask for help but that is not enough and might not work even. My webcam, scanner, printer, navigator and mobile phone doesnt work with ubuntu. Once i got funny reply to this Q of mine.it is not the problem with the ubuntu but with the companies.good!!!!!!!!!!

I am forced to switch to xp when i want to do real stuff on computer. With great passion i upgraded to 8 04. real player was removed during the process and now there is no way to get around it.

i lost flash player completly when i updated firefox. I am not a genius to understand what the problem is.

but i enjoy spendin my free time just to fix UBUNTU lol........thats the only enjoyment.

There are missing points from Linux. These are at the fault of the company. Microsoft doesn't make drivers for anything but their own hardware (Microsoft brand Mice, Microsoft brand Keyboards, Microsoft brand sound equipment, etc.) and if a vendor refuses to support Windows, Microsoft doesn't try to support the hardware.

In GNU/Linux and BSD, some vendors (more than you realize) don't try to support Linux/BSD, but the community try to support it blindly (they have no idea how the hardware works) and develop their own drivers for said hardware (one man created drivers for over 2000 webcams using a common chipset, zstar, with no information on how the webcams chipsets even worked).

So before you try to complain that its Linux's fault that some stuff doesn't work, remember: With Linux, you can always return it for a refund, and you will always get every cent back for it.

keykero
May 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
WINE is quite small for what it does, it is also easy. I love WINE, I can edit warcraft III maps and play GTA:SA and that covers about all the gaming I needed.

Wow, thanks for mentioning GTA:SA with WINE -- I'm going to give that a try as my Windows box hasn't got justifiable space for it.

Speaking of Cedega here, I've found many games run but usually with restrictions that make it not worth it (i.e. certain games can't be run on max settings), so I don't know if it is the true solution people are looking for.

Frak
May 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, thanks for mentioning GTA:SA with WINE -- I'm going to give that a try as my Windows box hasn't got justifiable space for it.

Speaking of Cedega here, I've found many games run but usually with restrictions that make it not worth it (i.e. certain games can't be run on max settings), so I don't know if it is the true solution people are looking for.
I've played games in Linux under Cedega that run faster than its Windows counterpart. It may due to running services in Windows, but still, its pretty zippy.