PDA

View Full Version : Computer Case Power Supply

Black Mage
December 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure what to get for a power supply for a computer cases. The case is an ATX mid-tower with support for ATX, Micro-ATX, and Baby Atex motherboards. The motherboard I am buying is a Micro-ATX. So should I get a Micro-ATX power supply or an ATX power supply?

Ideally, this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128053

With this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025

overdrank
December 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure what to get for a power supply for a computer cases. The case is an ATX mid-tower with support for ATX, Micro-ATX, and Baby Atex motherboards. The motherboard I am buying is a Micro-ATX. So should I get a Micro-ATX power supply or an ATX power supply?

HI, and I would say a ATX and make sure it has the power connection for the SATA hard drives. Also make sure it has enough connectors for all your accessories. :)

Bartender
December 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't believe there is a Micro-ATX power supply spec as such. You can find custom power supplies, such as the physically smaller one included in the Antec Aria (not called the Aria anymore but you know what I mean). That's basically an ATX-spec PSU crammed into a smaller space.

If the case will accept a standard-sized ATX PSU (it appears that the Nexus case does) then just get an ATX PSU that has the proper connections, as overdrank mentions.

Unless you're set on that case, you'll probably save some money by buying an Antec case with PSU included. It's important to get a quality PSU and the Antec cases with PSU inside are hard to beat for value/quality.

EDIT: When it says the case "supports" ATX, Micro-ATX, and Baby ATX, as you describe, all that means is that the attachment holes on the motherboard will line up with threaded receptacles inside the case.

amadeus266
December 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Depending on what hardware you plan on running I would recommend no less than 500 watts. My system with a single hard drive and a single dvd drive gave me all kinds of trouble until I upgraded the power supply.

*Zebedee*
December 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi,

An uninteruptable power supply would also be very worthwhile. :idea:
(google / ebay ' UPS ').

Kind Regards

Zebedee

Whiffle
December 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
And make sure to get a decent power supply, alot of the crappy ones can't/won't put out their rated wattage, or they will, but not for long. I'm trying to figure out where we get our wattage ratings though... My desktop has a 1.6 GHz P4, overclocked, an nvidia 7600gs, sound card, 2 cdrom drives, 2 hard drives, network card, firewire card, ethernet card, and sound card, with a 400 watt antec power supply. I measured it at 120 watts, playing half life 2. So I dunno..

I've been pleased with my Antec though, its quiet, and hasn't given me any troubles. And my computer is stable for days on end. For that case you may as well get a full ATX supply. I'd suggest something by name/model, but neweggs site is down...

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I don't believe there is a Micro-ATX power supply spec as such.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104999

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Why...why are you buying an mATX board? That case will fit an ATX board no problem.

I'd say it's safe to go with a 450W+ ATX PSU, probably one of the corsair's, like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003).

LO Matt
December 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Well, this thread is going a little off-topic from the original post, but I find this helpful in picking what power you require from a power supply. Antec Power Supply Calculator (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp)

Depending on video card and accessories, you might be surprised at how small a PS you actually need. But like said above, get a good brand, not a cheap one.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Seasonic S12 II 430 unless you want two graphics cards in which case get a more powerful Seasonic one.

D-EJ915
December 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Pretty much any new Power supply will work fine as it has the 24-pin ATX connector.

Depending on what hardware you plan on running I would recommend no less than 500 watts. My system with a single hard drive and a single dvd drive gave me all kinds of trouble until I upgraded the power supply.Sounds like your PSU had horrible voltage regulation. Getting a good PSU will help a lot though, less possibility of burnout/being killed and your system will be more stable because of the better Voltage regulation.

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Seasonic S12 II 430 unless you want two graphics cards in which case get a more powerful Seasonic one.

The motherboard he linked to only has one video slot, not counting the two PCI slots.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
The motherboard he linked to only has one video slot, not counting the two PCI slots.

Seasonic S-12 II 430w it is then, pointless buying anything else :)

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Seasonic S-12 II 430w it is then, pointless buying anything else :)

Hardly. There are several alternatives depending on price.

herbster
December 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I'm no hardware guru, but If there's one thing you don't wanna skimp on, it's your PSU.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hardly. There are several alternatives depending on price.

OK then, Seasonic S-12 II 330.......?

Best PSU's you can buy at sensible prices.

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
OK then, Seasonic S-12 II 330.......?

Best PSU's you can buy at sensible prices.

SeaSonic isn't the only PSU maker.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
SeaSonic isn't the only PSU maker.

I know that, but they are simply outstanding PSU's and worth every penny.

It can't be stressed strongly enough that the PSU is absolutely the most important component in any desktop PC.

It is a false economy to buy a cheap one.

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I know that, but they are simply outstanding PSU's and worth every penny.

It can't be stressed strongly enough that the PSU is absolutely the most important component in any desktop PC.

It is a false economy to buy a cheap one.

You could buy a 450W Corsair which is more than enough for most people, and only $80.

That's what I use, and I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6GHz.

Pethegreat
December 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I have an Antec Earth Watts power supply. It was not cheap, but it has a ton of connectors. It is also one of the few power supplies are are certified to be %80+ efficient. I used the calculator and it said I only need 180 watts right now, and I have 430 watts available.

Don't go out and buy a large supply if you are not going to have the big video cards and fast processors. You are throwing your money away there.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
You could buy a 450W Corsair which is more than enough for most people, and only $80.

That's what I use, and I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6GHz.

So we agree about Seasonic PSU's then.

Black Mage
December 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
How about thermaltake.

Like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Seasonic seems to make good power supplys, but they seem a bit pricey.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Looks very like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104931

Neither Thermaltake or Corsair build their own PSU's, they're all built to a pre-determined spec by OEM manufacturers.

Seasonic and FSP are two such manufacturers.
The products that bear their own names are arguably built to a higher standard.
Seasonic really are good, I run a Core 2 Duo E6300 on a three year old Seasonic 330w PSU with no problems at all.

Another worthwhile option is to buy an Antec case with PSU already fitted, that's going to be a good way of getting value, Antec PSU's are also rather good.

A cheap PSU will be rather expensive if it fails and takes your motherboard and CPU with it.........

Black Mage
December 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
It was so much easier just buying a computer rather than building one...sigh

My motherboard has 6 sata connector so I need 6 sata power supplies, yes I might use them all.

Alteast I'm somewhat enjoying myself.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
My motherboard has 6 sata connector so I need 6 sata power supplies.

You can get molex to sata converters for pennies.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own PC :D