PDA

View Full Version : Modern Laptops Suck

Warpnow
December 15th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Well, my e1405 dell was a piece of ****. After a year the hinges were as good as broken...the lcd itself shorted out..5 keys on the keyboard just randomly fell off...the "glossy" screen just made it hard to read...

So I pulled out an old HP that belonged to my sister. Not that old, celeron 1.2ghz...yeah, its got less ram and a much slower cpu than my "new" laptop...but the build quality is so much higher...

Is it just me oir is the build quality on laptops much lower nowadays?

rsambuca
December 15th, 2007, 03:29 AM
To be honest, is sounds like you are very hard on your laptops!

jrusso2
December 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM
All computers have been built cheaper as of late because people have been driving the price of hardware down.

My old 286 was built like a tank I still use the keyboard from it, the keyboard weighs more then a new pc.

I am happy with my IBM/Lenovo thinkpad. Its two years old has a great keyboard and screen.

And it works very well with Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
December 15th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Toshibas are built well though, sometimes HP.
Lenovo is pretty good too

Hmarroqu
December 15th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Toshibas suck, just cause mine had so many issues out of the box. CRAP. but I think sony has always made good comps, not sure about laptops but im going with either them or Dell. whichever has the smallest size computer, but thats irrelevant on this thread, i agree tho, most modern lappy toppys are to delicate looking and glossy.
Wenever I look at new HPs all i can think is GLOSSSY

sloggerkhan
December 15th, 2007, 04:05 AM
my acer seems to be lasting.
Sure, battery life isn't what it was new.
And yeah, my case has a weird sort of crushed spot from when I knocked it off the top bunk in my dorm room my freshman year, but otherwise it seems to keep working perfectly.
I imagine if there's something that will die, it'd be the fan.

It's about 2.5 years old now.

LaRoza
December 15th, 2007, 04:28 AM
My Lenovo ThinkPad is quiet sturdy.

It has great specs, and should last a long time.

It is amazing what people do to laptops, remember: they are computers, not calculators.

boast
December 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM
my 7, soon to be 8, year old laptop has broken hinges for the LCD.

but everything else works :)

Incense
December 15th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Yeah, they sure don't build them like they did when I was a kid. ...and with good reason I'm sure.

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/osborne.jpg

http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html

tgalati4
December 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I had an old KayPro, those were tanks.

LaRoza
December 15th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Yeah, they sure don't build them like they did when I was a kid. ...and with good reason I'm sure.

http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html

If I didn't know what that I was, I wouldn't have believed it.

Dimitriid
December 15th, 2007, 06:06 AM
All computers have been built cheaper as of late because people have been driving the price of hardware down.

My old 286 was built like a tank I still use the keyboard from it, the keyboard weighs more then a new pc.

I am happy with my IBM/Lenovo thinkpad. Its two years old has a great keyboard and screen.

And it works very well with Linux.

I love those old keyboards and the way it sounds when you type really fast "clack clack clack clack!"

Seriously, I would really like if at least a few vendors would cut the crap and start producing standardized parts so I can build my own laptop with a carbon fiber casing and adapt one of those old, 286 era "clack clack clack clack" keyboards. In fact I might build a system with desktop parts fitted into one of those metal briefcases like this:

http://lp.pcmoddingmy.com/albums/userpics/NV/68v85/68/1.jpg

You could put the mobo on the bottom, fit the cd room tray to open through next to the combination lock and put one lid with a 17 inch lcd panel without the plastic casing. If you get one of those thin clients like this:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/images/products/HP_t5720.jpg

Since those use the same ac adapter that the laptops use, so you could use it + its PSU to power up and even have a battery too ( with the size of the case you could even manage a 12 cell or more ).

Plus it would kinda look like you are carrying a bomb :D

teet
December 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I have a P3 1.06 ghz laptop with 512 mb of RAM. It's nearly 6 years old and I still use it for work nearly every day (my desktop is for "play"). It runs windows xp + office 2003 really well. In fact, my girlfriend's centrino core 2 duo laptop with 1 gb of ram and windows xp doesn't run significantly faster (but it does get much hotter!), which is sort of sad.

I thought about buying a new laptop, but this one still does everything I need. As long as you have plenty of RAM, you don't need a whole lot of processing power to run firefox, thunderbird, and word.

-teet

HermanAB
December 15th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Hmm, I'm working on my 650MHz Asus Eee PC and I think the screen is much bigger than the Osborne's was.

Whiffle
December 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I love those old keyboards and the way it sounds when you type really fast "clack clack clack clack!"

This post is being typed on exactly one of those keyboards :D I got fed up with the $7 one I got when I built my computer (keyboards aren't that important?! right?!), which I replaced with a wireless logitech I got at a garage sale, which eventually cracked. In half. I replaced THAT with a wired logitech (wireless is overrated...not to mention insecure). The keys felt like crap and started sticking down after a while. After that I bought the real deal on ebay... an IBM model M clicky keyboard, built in 1987. Ohhh yes. This thing IS built like a tank, I could defend my apartment with it if I had to.

Anyway...on laptop build quality. I'm not impressed with the new Macs, got to play with one over thanksgiving. I have an old compaq (that I use as a server), it was okay, hinges were pretty loose. My thinkpad still rocks though, so does my dads :) I take that thing pretty much everywhere and it has yet to miss a beat...

The Noble
December 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM
After seeing what happened to my Dad's laptop (well, the last 3) as well as my personal experience, I finally realized that specs are not the only important thing in a laptop. Thus, I didn't buy a desktop replacement and opted for a small business dell Vostro. This is built to withstand whatever I can throw at it in college. It's not a thinkpad, but it sure as hell is better than what I used to have. I still find widescreens the greatest innovation for laptops since the lcd; no more broken hinges for me!

Here's a hint: go for a small business laptop line. They are built solid with much more balanced specs in mind.

aimran
December 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Toshibas suck, just cause mine had so many issues out of the box.

What issues?

mips
December 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
1) Thinkpad
2) HP

koleoptero
December 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Toshibas suck, just cause mine had so many issues out of the box.

You're unlucky, I had absolutely no problems, be it hardware or software. Neither my sister or her husband (we're a toshiba loving family :P). If I bought a new laptop it would be toshiba again.

aimran
December 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
You're unlucky, I had absolutely no problems, be it hardware or software. Neither my sister or her husband (we're a toshiba loving family :P). If I bought a new laptop it would be toshiba again.

I've had 4 toshiba laptops. No problem at all. The oldest one is 9 years old and still working fine.

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Another endorsement for Toshiba, I have a Portege 3440CT that is seven years old and still going strong and is entirely undamaged, it looks almost new despite having been in daily use for the three years I've owned it.
2000 when new in 2000, I got it in early 2005 for 150, I've seen them for 80 on ebay recently.

Primarily aimed at business users, despite being very compact and light it is very sturdy indeed with metal case parts in critical areas.

rickyjones
December 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
My Dell D630 seems to be working pretty well so far. My last laptop still works, just needs a new power adapter supposedly (Toshiba M45-S169).

Want a quality laptop? Research the market and find one that you'll like. I chose my latest Dell because of the business quality construction (magnesium coated outer casing).

-Richard

stmiller
December 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Thinkpad! I would never buy any HP or Toshiba. I can't stand anything with stickers all over it and flashing lights. :(

selda
December 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I have Dell xps1210 for year and half I have no problems with it, It's not the best looking laptop but it's very sturdy. I carry it around almost every day and it has only few small scratches (I have dropped it once) Keyboard is decent too.

My guess is that most companies make good laptops, but you have to pay little extra. You should not expect cheap laptops to last long.

HermanAB
December 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I have an Everex i386 from 1989. It still works perfectly and runs Windows 3.1 with 1MB RAM and a 20MB hard disk drive. It can't run Linux...

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM
It can't run Linux...

Why not?

EDIT: Ah I see why now.....

fedex1993
December 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
yeah i have noticed that newer laptops are getting cheaper. I had an old 97 dell laptop that lasted intell last year when the cd drive and the ram went bad.I just bought a toshiba last year right around this time. It works great. The only thing is my dog jumped up onto the keyboard and popped off the alt key and it broke. But that was easy to fix. If you want the perfect linux laptop that doesnt have any problems that i know of are the levono thinkpads. But the glossy monitors are getting better in what i say. sorry for your hard trouble with dell and there laptops

koleoptero
December 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thinkpad! I would never buy any HP or Toshiba. I can't stand anything with stickers all over it and flashing lights. :(

I've removed all the stickers, it's not hard :PPPP

Quillz
December 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I have a MacBook, it's worked fine for me. The build quality is quite nice.

Compucore
December 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
My first laptop used was a toshiba t3200 a 286 with a 42 meg hard drive in it and a plasma screen on it. It is still kicking from time to time. My more recent one that I have is a thinkpad r32 that I go for free and it is working fine. The place where I was working was throwing it away since they had said that they were having problems with it. When I loaded it with linux it was working fine no problems what so ever. The ones that I had either purchased or received for free were ones that I knew from doing good research on them were known to have good backing behind as for easy fixes or the material and workmanship in them were fantastic.

Most of todays laptops are good and sturdy to use. But it al depends on what you want to do with them and what kind of punisment they need to go through for your daily grind of having a laptop. Even at work I have a laptop that I have to bring with me on a daily basis. Working for big blue is good. Since I have worked with most of their products. and tried to bring in ubuntu into the office for the others to try out on their own home grown laptops and workstations..

Compucore

regomodo
December 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
my housemates acer, toshibas, and dells all feel cheap when you use. They look nice (on the top) but underneath they are poorly made and don't feel well built.

Now, take my IBM thinkpad 570e. It's around 8years old i take it with me everywhere in my bag and i ride my jumpbike to and fro uni. I've had it around 1/2 a year and not a scratch or break, yet.

jperez
December 16th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I have had 2 "faster" laptops since moving to Colorado. The first was my Dell Inspiron 8100. 1Ghz with 256MB of RAM and a slow nVidia GPU. Worked well with Windows and Ubuntu Dapper. Ubuntu ran slowly only because the HDD was malfunctioning. Other than that, it was nice. I still have it with the HDD taken out, and here's why.

My next laptop was the one that was recently stolen from me at work. Toshiba Satellite S157. Built-in wireless, 2.1Ghz, 1GB RAM, nice GPU, bad HDD. Took out the HDD form the satellite, put in the one from my Dell, worked better in the Satellite than in the Dell, everything worked with the Live CD of Kubuntu Gusty Dev. Wireless, everything worked out-of-the-box.

They are both built very nicely and my Dell, even with lots of things done to it and tossed around my room, it still looks VERY nice.

Anyway, guess it just depends on how much TLC you give your machine. Wish I still had my Packard Bell Legend 10CD desktop though. That was my first official Windows PC. Loved that machine since it was the first one that I got Windows 95 to work on it with only 4MB of RAM and a 50Mhz Processor. Install took 4-8 hours, but it was worth it to have a working copy of Windows 95 on a PC built to work with Windows 3.11 WFW.

Jesse~

Akre
December 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Modern laptop sucks, that's right, but that is only becouse laptops are gettin more and more popular. And with only hardware specs visible to the customer the manufactures save on materials and build quality.

Just by good bussiness notebook not cheap mainstream/customer one.

IBM, T or R series
HP s,b,p,w series (not pavilons)
Dell laitutde and so on.

They cost more, but they do look and behave as we expect them to.

popch
December 16th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Modern laptops are also available at much lower prices than just a few years ago.

Without having put much thought to the matter I would presume that there are still robust and reliable laptops to be had, but perhaps not at the lowest possible price within that market.

moffatt666
December 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Pnasonic Toughbook CF-27 from 1998 featuring Win 98. I drop it regularly and I am on my 2nd one abd soon to be 3rd (gsm stopped working and touchpad is iffy).

Xbehave
December 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
ive got a fairly poor acer travelmate is heavy and when i tried cleaning it there paint came off

ive dropped it a few times but it dosnt complain
the only thing that bothers me is a dead pixel
its about 5 years old as i stole it from rents when my desktop was too much hassle to bring to uni!

but im not planning on getting anything new as it works, and thanks to dynamic cpu controlers (can you get those on windows yet) it runs cool. I might upgrade from 256 ram though as compiz + firefox dont play nice!

staticvoid
December 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
sony vaio pcg-tr3a

tiny. cute. gets the job done :)

sv

klange
December 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
My current laptop is an Acer Aspire. 1gb of RAM, 1.73ghz dual Centrino, 120gb HD. Aside from the Intel GMA 950, it's a great laptop. Bought it six months ago for $700, so it's like $500 now.